g-beak

Is There Still An Air France Concorde In New York?

Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:04 am

I was glad the BA Concorde came back home last night to the rest of its 'family'. Then I started thinking about Air France. They grounded theirs straight after the accident and the scheduled service had departed for JFK not long before so I'm assuming it wouldn't have had time to return to Paris. Is there still an Air France Concorde at JFK? Anyone know?

Boeing757/767

RE: Is There Still An Air France Concorde In New York?

Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:21 am

Yes there is. Saw one this morning upon my arrival from MIA on AA A300. I was surprised to see it. It was parked near a roadway; easy to spot.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

morecy

Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:23 am

Being in Dallas I wouldn't know first hand, but I do know that there's always atleast one AF Concorde at JFK. So, I would guess yes, it's there.

g-beak

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:11 am

Thanks for telling me. Thats quite sad. I wonder if it will ever get to go home?

TWFirst

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:37 am

Maybe France will give it to the U.S. as a gift, and we could build a pedestal for it on a small island just off the coast of New York.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

MD-90

RE: I Second TWFirst's Suggestion

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:41 am

It sure would look nice. Raise the landing gear, angle it skywards, and seal up everything. 2cool

prebennorholm

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:42 am

If the Corcorde will fly again, then it will go home.
If not, then it will be terribly needed by a US aircraft museum.
If the Concorde era is over, then it is unthinkable that one should not be on display in the USA.
Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Ezra

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:48 am

How is it unthinkable that Concorde should not be on display in the USA? The plane was developed by the French and British, and was never in the fleet of any U.S. airline.

RWally

If We Followed TWFirst's Plan...

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:50 am

If France were to let us keep the Concorde, and we build a base for it, wouldn't that be like the Statue of Liberty? They gave us Lady Liberty, but we had to build the base.

TWFirst

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:53 am

Yo, people. I was joking! Ever hear of the Statue of Liberty? Large bronze chick France gave to us? She's standing on a small island off the coast of New York.

Sometimes humor doesn't translate well over the internet  

TWFirst

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:57 am

I was posting my last response while you posted yours RWally. I wasn't serious in my earlier post.

I have a better idea now. Maybe the U.S. military should take it over and turn it in to bomber. Then we can fly over to Asia and nuke North Korea in 3 hours.

RWally

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:00 am

Your last idea is funny TWFirst. I say we go for it!

TWFirst

RE: RWally

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:02 am

My first idea was funny too, but nobody got it.

Maybe the concorde could somehow be put on the same pedestal with Lady Liberty so it looks like she's riding it. A small plaque underneath would read "Gift from France".

prebennorholm

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:13 am

Why it is unthinkable that a US museum should not have a Concorde:
The Concorde is a very special plane. It has served the USA and its cityzens with the world's fastest connection the "the old world" for 25 years.
I fact I think that the Concorde has landed more times in New York than in any other city in the world. And I shouldn't wonder that more Americans have flown on the Concorde than any other nationality.
So why should it be on a US museum? Same reason as the DC-3 on the Danish aircraft museum 30 miles from where I am tapping on my keyboard. The DC-3 was a remarkable plane in Danish aviation history, even if it was produced in another country.
Best regards, Preben Norholm

MEA-707

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:13 am

There is a 1/10 BA Concorde scalemodel at Times Square in NYC, towering at 10 meters above streetlevel. Maybe they can replace it by the full scale Concorde. They might have to remove a building or two...
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

VirginLover

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:17 am

About the Statue of Liberty- as a thank you gift, the US gave France a Mini-Statue of Liberty... it stands on an island on the Seine I believe.... What a stupid thank you gift! 

prebennorholm

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:40 am

No, no, no! Not on an island, or on a building. Or thank you gift, no thanks!
Just an ordinary museum item which people and touch and walk through, and have a look into the flight deck etc. So people can shake the landing gear and say: "Look here son, granddad flew to Europe in three hours on this bird back in the 20th century".
That's all.
Preben Norholm

RWally

TWFirst

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:51 am

That would be funny too!  

polaris

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:52 am

TWFirst...your first idea was VERY funny, subtle, and wry...unfortunately, not everyone knows the relationship between France and the US and Mademoiselle Liberty! Having her ride the Concorde was a good idea, too! Maybe she could be waving her cowboy hat...with the plaque reading "YEE-HAA"!!

XXXX10

Does Anyone Know Which One?

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:52 am

Does anyone know the reg of the stranded Air france Concorde?

RE: Is There Still An Air France Concorde In New Y

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:45 am

Polaris:

I doubt anyone is gonna get your joke either, unless you didn't *realise* you just made a reference to the film "Dr. Strangelove".....

TWFirst

RE: Polaris, Surf

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:57 am

I got it Surf. Polaris outdid me.

The imagery I have in my head from Polaris' suggestion is frickin hilarious. I think there's even deeper symbolism in it....

"Well doggy! We's Americans rounded us up one of them there Concordes from over there in France! Yeee haw!! (You knows I heard them there women over there don't wear no pants by the way.) Giddy up Concorde! Let's see what this little baby can do!"

Work with me here.

Greeneyes53787

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:33 am

Let's play musical Concordes. Put em all on their routes (some here and some there), tell them they're grounded and see who gets what Concordes.

Greeneyes53787

TWA717_200

TWFirst, I Got It!

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:14 pm

I thought your first post was funny as heck! I got it.

If we keep the Concorde here, are we going to have to give France a 747 to keep?

DaveT

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:45 pm

I did not read all of the responces so I may be repeating a previous reply....

I would think that if the Concordes grounding lasts indenfinitly, and considering the huge devastation that has occured in the AF Concorde family... I suspect we will not see AF Concordes flying commercial again!

Commercially, AF and BA have always been at each other regarding service, marketability, etc. and know doubt there are those in AF that want to keep the AF concordes in the air AS LONG AS BA's are flying as well.

Perhaps we are seeing a joint decision to bring to a close the concorde era.

Sadly, history HAS been made by the Concorde! It was made on July 25, 2000! The only date in the life of Concorde that will be remembered!

You can expect at some point an exclusion to the ban regarding the JFK AF concorde so that AF can get it back to its rightful home!

IndianGuy

Thu Aug 17, 2000 3:42 pm

TWFirst: U r really sick.

Mebbe, we should hand over the concorde to those North Koreans, so they could bomb you in 3 hrs.

Thu Aug 17, 2000 3:47 pm

I do not see why Concorde should be in a US Museum.

When I was a kid as Concorde first commercial flight took place in 1976, I went to see it taking off in Orly.. At this time I learned that USA did everything to stop it.. It was too loudy, it was too expensive to operate, and mostly it was not made in USA... True or not, I have the feeling that if this SST had been made in USA, there would have been far more Concordes in the sky.

TAA_Airbus

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:57 pm

Surely someone knows the rego of the stranded Concorde?

btw, What does SST mean, I see it in relation to concorde all the time but have never figured out what it means.

Why would you need the concorde to be converted to a military bomber?
Dont most fighter jets travel around that speed anyway?

apioca

Thu Aug 17, 2000 8:16 pm

SST=Super Sonic Transport

TWFirst

RE: Indian Guy

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:36 pm

Dude. It's called sarcasm. I'm poking fun at American stereotypes.

If North Korea got the Concorde, they'd sell it for food money before they used it to bomb me.

RWally

My Dad And I Got To Thinking....

Fri Aug 18, 2000 12:18 am

I told my dad about some of the things the U.S. could do with the Concorde as a joke. Then he said it would be stupid to make the Concorde a bomber, because doesn't the F-15 fly as fast, if not faster? But then I told him F-15s can hold like two bombs. The Concorde could hold like 300. Then he said that was really funny.

RIX

Fri Aug 18, 2000 12:38 am

Hey, guys, with all of your jokes here... don't forget the AF Concorde is still at JFK because 113 people were killed less than a month ago...

DaveT,

about dates to be remembered: I think much more people (of those interested at all, of course) know July 27th, 1949 and May 2nd, 1952 - maiden and first commercial flights of the Comet, the first jet airliner - than dates of its crashes and grounding. History is being made by inventions and achievements - otherwise we would still live in caves...

TWFirst

RE: Dave T

Fri Aug 18, 2000 12:47 am

Gee, you're right. And because of that, and all the other airplane crashes in history, we should never make another airplane joke again, right? I suppose you think the movie "Airplane" should have never been made.

I don't understand how you could possibly construe a joke about what to do with a French airplane stranded on U.S. soil as defiling the memory of those who died in the Concorde accident. OF COURSE it's totally awful those people died! But life goes on. I bet you some of them had senses of humor.

Life's too short to be so serious all the time  .

Fri Aug 18, 2000 1:36 am

You're missing the best one:
Put the Concorde in Lady Liberty's hand (remove the torch).

It will look like she's throwing a paper airplane across the Atlantic.

Gregg/

sv7887

Fri Aug 18, 2000 1:58 am

The United States already has a supersonic Bomber. The B-1 Lancer. The grounding of Concorde is a sad day for aviation, as it was one of the greatest achievements of the previous century. It is a shame that their legacy might end this way. It is not a fitting exit for such a magnificent plane. My best wishes for the friends and family of the downed AF Concorde. But I hope that this bird will return to the skies once again

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:13 am

RIX is right. you guys are all making jokes about a technological marvel that has suddenly gone sour - and took the lives of 113 people.

TWfirst: How would you have felt if these jokes were made when TW800 went down huh?

This is for all you yanks: Remember one thing - the Jet engine, jet passenger transport, the catapult, the submarine, the rocket and indeed aviation itself were all invented in Europe.

The only sensible post in this thread has yet to be answered: What is the reg'n of the AF Concorde still in JFK ?

RE: If We Followed TWFirst's Plan...

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:22 am

Gee, do you think that just *might* have been RWally's point? :p

RWally wrote:
-------------------------------
If France were to let us keep the Concorde, and we build a base for it, wouldn't that be like the Statue of Liberty? They gave us Lady Liberty, but we had to build the base.

TWFirst

RE: Tripl7

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:23 am

Well, let's see... I'm looking through all the posts above and I DO NOT see any jokes about the downed Concorde flight or its passengers, so I have no idea what your point is. If someone wanted to joke about a stranded TW 747 on some foreign soil, I wouldn't care in the slightest.

Some of you Concorde nuts need to chill. Yes, grounding the Concorde sucks, but it isn't the end of the world, or supersonic transportation for that matter. And what the hell does the jet engine, etc. etc. being invented in Europe have to with anything discussed here? Aviation invented in Europe?? Last time I checked Kitty Hawk was in North Carolina. Again, what's your point?

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:31 am

The french were experimenting with flying long before kitty hawk.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:34 am

TWFirst:

Well said! I agree completely - no jokes about the tragic Concorde crash are in this thread, and nor would anybody here make such a joke...

I'll add that whilst I don't know what the first submarine was, the first submarine to taste victory was in the USA. It was called the Hunley, and successfully sunk a ship before sinking itself nearby. The wreck was found by author Clive Cussler some years ago, and was just recently raised and taken for preservation in a museum.

Incredible story, I strongly recommend others to read more about it. The submarine was powered by human hand (a crank-shaft ran down the middle of the sub, which the crew turned); it had to strike its target with a "spear" on its bow, then back away leaving the spear in the target, and trailing a cord back to the spear with which to trigger the explosion from a safe distance.

Cheers

---
Mike

TWFirst wrote:
-------------------------------
Well, let's see... I'm looking through all the posts above and I DO NOT see any jokes about the downed Concorde flight or its passengers, so I have no idea what your point is. If someone wanted to joke about a stranded TW 747 on some foreign soil, I wouldn't care in the slightest.

Some of you Concorde nuts need to chill. Yes, grounding the Concorde sucks, but it isn't the end of the world, or supersonic transportation for that matter. And what the hell does the jet engine, etc. etc. being invented in Europe have to with anything discussed here? Aviation invented in Europe?? Last time I checked Kitty Hawk was in North Carolina. Again, what's your point?

TWFirst

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:36 am

So did other countries. The fact is it was Americans who actually invented a flying machine that worked. But that's irrelevant, and I doubt anyone here wants to get into a flame war over the history of aviation and who is resonsible for what. But maybe we shouldn't joke about or talk about the Wright brothers and their inventions because they're DEAD.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:37 am

"Experimenting" does not equal "flying".

If your invention is not successful, you've invented nothing.

---
Mike

RWally

RE: Tripl7, Please Read

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:43 am

I know TWFirst and Hkdragon2 will probably back me up on this. If you said that the only good comment made was "What was the reg. number of the AF Concorde still in NY?" Then what is wrong with the post at the beginning of this thread that said we should take the Concorde, build a base for it, and make it a remberance?

Ryan

TWFirst

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:48 am

Actually, that is a neat idea Ryan. But it would only be a possibility if the Concorde is grounded for eternity, and that is far from certain at this point.

Hkdragon2: I don't get understand your post above about RWally's first post ("Gee maybe that was RWally's point"). What did you mean?

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:59 am

Yes, the Hunley was the first sub. It was an Irish invention.
TWfirst: I am actually laughing at your last re-the Wrights being DEAD ! (And I am not being sarcastic, I actually think it is a good funny comment)
No Concorde jokes in this post? You said it yourself:
"Maybe France will give it to the U.S. as a gift, and we could build a pedestal for it on a small island just off the coast of New York.
Then:
"My first idea was funny too, but nobody got it. "
Of course, this does not imply the downed plane, but still ........

TWFirst

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:11 am

Yes Tripl7, I was NOT talking about or even implying the downed plane. I was simply being a smartass and referring to a hunk of French property sitting on American soil, and drawing parallels to a former large French gift to the U.S., and maybe even making a sly comment about American grandioseness and materialism. That's it. Don't read anything more into it, and don't be so sensitive. Geez, I would never be THAT tasteless as to joke about people dying in a terrible, fiery supersonic plane crash... ESPECIALLY NOT IN THIS FORUM!!!! That would be suicide.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:25 am

It written all over this thread, with a few exceptions. Concorde is being ridiculed here. Before anybody writes something about my sensitivity or me being a hopeless romantic, I admit it. No I don't like this. For the past twenty years, I've been flying into LHR at least 3 times a month. I get there half an hour before Concorde leaves for JFK as BA001. We park no further than two airframes away from the jet in its gate at Terminal 4 getting ready to depart. Tomorrow I fly to LHR again. Where will Concorde be tomorrow morning at 10:30? Yes tomorrow will be a sad day for me.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:26 am

TWFirst: I hadn't read the rest of the posts at that point, so didn't realise numerous others had already got your joke (which, from his post, RWally didn't) - I was just being mildly sarky and pointing out that you were joking and that you'd based the joke on the Statue of Liberty...

That said, I just noticed that I slipped up and said "RWally's point", not "TWFirst's point".

*Insert slap on the forehead at this point*

Ah well, that'll teach me to be sarky :p

Cheers

---
Mike

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:28 am

No Tripl7, indeed it doesn't imply the downed plane. It specifically refers to the plane which is still in the US. As we've been telling you all along!

---
Mike

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:31 am

Tripl7

In that case, perhaps you should step back and not be so oversensitive. TWFirst has not been making jokes about the crashed plane, nor has he been ridiculing the Concorde, he's been making jokes about a French possession that is stuck in the USA.

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread, are they?

Please let's not let this degenerate into name-calling - if you don't like the post, you needn't read it...

Cheers

---
Mike