woodsboy

AeroMexico's N- Regs

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 am

Okay, I might be an idiot but I have been on A-net for about 10 years and I havent ever seen this question answered. Is AeroMexico owned by an American company? Their aircraft are all registered with N-XXXX regs so I guess they are. Could could someone give me a quick background on this?
Thanks!
Chris

juventus

RE: AeroMexico's N- Regs

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:11 am

Aeromexico is not owned by an American company. The N numbers have to do with leases. AM is Mexican owned, and its up for sale, and will most likely end up in Mexican hands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but If a foreing company were to get a piece of AM, they are limited to 25%.

mpdpilot

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:15 am

The airplanes are owned by a US company and leased to Aeromexico.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

MX77W

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 1):
Aeromexico is not owned by an American company. The N numbers have to do with leases. AM is Mexican owned, and its up for sale, and will most likely end up in Mexican hands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but If a foreing company were to get a piece of AM, they are limited to 25%.

Doesn't Mexican Law allow for up to 49% foreign stake in a national company? May be some of our well experienced members can clear the air. Also, I had heard that they used to register the airplanes in other nations (AM also has some registrations with EI- and MX has F-) due to the fact that Mexican registrations were impossibly expensive to pay... of course I could be totally wrong so I'll wait for someone to correct me.

Regards,

MX 77W
Mexicana lives on...

ghost77

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting MX77W (Reply 3):
Doesn't Mexican Law allow for up to 49% foreign stake in a national company?

Its 25% foreign partnership versus 75% but they can do have 49% in voting shares stocks.

Quoting MX77W (Reply 3):
due to the fact that Mexican registrations were impossibly expensive to pay... of course I could be totally wrong so I'll wait for someone to correct me.

It isn't impossible to pay, it has to do with the fact that their leased aircraft and lessors register them were its cheaper... that is, the US or Ireland famous for the EI- reg's...

Also our law allowed this! Some Latin countries don't allowed this, such as Argentina or Brazil... some more like Mexico are Colombia, Venezuela... etc.

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Fly2HMO

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting Woodsboy (Thread starter):
Their aircraft are all registered with N-XXXX

Uhm, no, not even close. I.E. the 70% of the 73G fleet has XA- prefix, the rest are N or EI, the 757s and T7s are all N IIRC.

That's just a guesstimate, but I'm sure somebody has all the regos for their fleet.

Not even US airlines have exclusively N numbers, you'll find occasional foreign registered US-flown planes.