flyf15

JAL Service To Den?

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:34 am

I heard from a high ranking employee of a major airline in Denver than Japan Airlines has come to overlook the airport and have a meeting with officals about the possibility of new service. Is there any possibility of this happening? What would the aircraft be?

CX747

RE: JAL Service To Den?

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:41 am

I would assume that the aircraft would be either a 747-400 or a 777-200ER. Most likely they would start service with a 777-200ER and then switch to the 747-400 if traffic increased. If it was known to be a high density route then they would start with a 744.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

n949wp

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:03 am

Although JAL currently has 10 777's (both 200's & 300's), all of them are configured for Japanese domestic routes and none are of the ER variant.

If they are going to open a route to DEN (if at all) with anything other than a 747, it'll almost certainly be one of their 10 MD-11s.

LH423

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:30 am

Korean Air already served Denver thrice-weekly, via LAX, and they still stopped service, so I would like to know how JAL plans to make a NRT-DEN service work, regardless of the aeroplane size.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Trvlr

Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:00 pm

I don't know if DEN would be a good idea. There would be no feed there, and the flight would be so long that it would require two aircraft to operate. Also, I am not sure who would like to travel there except tourists who want to ski, and I think most Japanese go to the Japan Alps & Hokkaido for that. And Japan Airlines doesn't even codeshare with any airline to Denver. Maybe it will be possible once JAL gets their new 777LRs, but I think JAL should concentrate on other cities that may need their service, like Seattle or San Diego, or maybe a flight from Osaka to San Francisco.

Aaron G.

johnboy

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:12 am

If everyone is gonna play the codeshare game, then by all rights, ANA should be the Japanese airline to fly to DEN, since they're a Star Alliance member. However, I would imagine that since ANA flies to ORD,SFO, and LAX,then the US would probably be sewn up with them.

Trvlr

Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:51 am

ANA also flies to IAD and JFK.

Aaron G.

dia77

Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:38 am

Denver is home to a substantial Japenese population. Denver is also a major destination for Japanese business. KAL's flight to DEN failed because it wasn't nonstop (travellers preferred UA's connections to SEL) and because Korea's economy hit the gorund at the time. I would definitely expect DEN-NRT service in the next couple of years. DEN officials visited Japan early this year to discuss air service between Tokyo and Denver.

johnboy

Fri Aug 18, 2000 12:55 pm

Sorry, meant to suggest that Western US would be served well enough by ANA from ORD westward.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos