treeny

No Show For Dummies!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 pm

All

I was wondering if the more experience travellers or peers with inside knowledge could give me a general overview about the following scenario. My idea is to get only an idea - I dont think we need to debate and discuss how different airlines operate (if indeed there is a difference)

Basically what happens if I buy a ticket that is a) Full Fare without restrictions or b) With restrictions on route A>B>C where B is supposed to be my transfer airport.

Assuming that I have no checked luggage what happens if I need to stay in B or basically dont want to take the flight to C. Will I be charged for not turning up if I decide not to pay a ticket change fine.

I suppose I am asking for, in a roundabout way, if and how 'No Shows' actually get punished if they have bought the ticket but just choose not to fly the final leg.

Cheers as always

Mark

PA101

RE: No Show For Dummies!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Well, you won't get fined, but if you don't show up for your final leg, most airlines will automatically cancel your return reservations (if you have any). It it was just a oneway anyhow, you are fine.

I don't know about full fare tickets, if they get refunded, even with being a no-show for a specific flight...

paladin87

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Technically its illegal and I believe if you are caught they can charge you the full fare. People have done this because often it is cheaper to fly from A-B-C then it is from A-B since B is typically a hub and thus a higher fare. There is a term for this that I can't think of right now but to tell the truth most people get away with it. But I wouldn't bet on it as the airlines are looking for every cent and they may have stepped up their enforcement of this.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:59 pm

No, they do not. If you do not show up for the lest leg, the airline will not recalculate the fare and charge you accordingly. Putting in dummy returns or hidden city ticketing to lower the fare is as old as the hills. A lot of this is no longer necessary as more airlines sell reasonable one way fares now, although some monopoly/duopoly routes for example still require some additional "research".

As you requested, no comment as to whether it's right or wrong.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

bnatraveler

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 3):
more airlines sell reasonable one way fares now

...except NW. I seem to always have to do a hidden city or no-show segment at the end of my trip in order for it to be reasonable. Very annoying -- especially since the routes have WN competition on cheap one ways.

PanHAM

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting Paladin87 (Reply 2):
Technically its illegal and I believe if you are caught they can charge you the full fare.

This has been discussed before. It may be (or is) illegal in the US, where airlines may have the legal weapons to fight and fine and punish their customers.

In the free and economic liberal Europe, you just don't give a damn. To give an example, If I buy a return cheap ticket from FRA to MAD on LH and buy another cheap return ticket for the same day/evening on IB back to FRA, I have 2 options, complete the flights or just waste the return tickets.

I buy myself back to back tickets withon Germany all the times, sometimes one by air and one by rail, going out by train in the morning and return by plane in the eveming and repeat that in 2 weeks time. Or have both return tickets by air.

Never caused a problem and it is absolutely legal. we have a free market, the airline can charge me 3 times as much for the 7 am departure as they charge for the 12 noon departure. I just make use of the system and the opprtunities.