Tugger
Topic Author

Too Sexy To Fly? Southwest's New Attitude?

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:07 am

OK...... I don't get it......

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m.../braun/20070905-9999-1m5braun.html
I read this and just had to bring it here. What the heck is Southwest's problem? I have never heard of hti s before but I can understand as sometimes people just don't get it on dressing but this woman is not dressed any worse than what is normal nowadays.

Fair Use excerpt:

Quote:
After the plane filled, and the flight attendants began their safety spiel, Ebbert was asked to step off the plane by a customer service supervisor, identified by the airline only as “Keith.”

They walked out onto the jet bridge, where Keith told Ebbert her clothing was inappropriate and asked her to change. She explained she was flying to Tucson for only a few hours and had brought no luggage.

“I asked him what part of my outfit was offensive,” she said. “The shirt? The skirt? And he said, 'The whole thing.' ”

Keith asked her to go home, change and take a later flight. She refused, citing her appointment. The plane was ready to leave, so Keith relented. He had her pull up her tank top a bit, pull down her skirt a bit, and return to her seat.

OK, I edited to remove the pic and not bust the copyright. Click here to see her pic (its worth it
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070905/images/braun220.jpg

So I ask our Southwest brethren (and sistren?) out there, what the hell was Keith's problem? It just sounds too bizarre.

Tug

[Edited 2007-09-05 23:36:42]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Indy

RE: Too Sexy To Fly? Southwest's New Attitude?

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:12 am

The skirt is super short. She was able to sit like that in a chair for a photograph. Could she sit like that in the plane? Perhaps she was unknowingly putting on a show for the rest of the plane if you know what I mean. And who dresses like that to fly out of town for an appointment that lasts only a couple of hours? It is always good to dress comfortable when you travel but shesh. Maybe not everyone wanted to see the goods lol.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

georgebush

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:15 am

She was most likely going to sort out divorce matters with her ex-husband, and wanted to make him jealous.
Al Gore invented global warming.

Analog

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:16 am

The part I find most interesting is the WN agent's response to whether one can wear a bikini top on the aircraft:

“We don't have a problem with it if she's covered up in all the right spots,” she said. “We don't have a dress code.”

WN wrote to the woman's mother (?) that WN enforces a dress code to:
"ensure the comfort of children and “adults with heightened sensitivities.”"

Interesting. Where's the burkha requirement?

From the article: “I see butt cracks, a lot of butt cracks"  Big grin

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 am

It really doesn't matter if others perceived it to be too short or what not. I don't see anything offensive written on her shirt. I agree that what she had on is not exactly ideal for flying commercially, but you know, in this day of age, nothing should really surprise anyone in regards to how people dress when flying. I have asked a teenager before to put another shirt over a tee shirt he was wearing which had a pretty offensive, vulgar word on it because that would have offended people.....and he agreed to....but legally, I just don't think the airlines have any grounds for pulling someone off a flight because they don't like the way they are dressed. It says something about society, sure, but it's the world we live in.

[Edited 2007-09-05 23:20:55]

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 am

It may have been the skirt and he was too embarrassed to say it. Without turning this R rated perhaps he didn't want to say it wasn't the shirt or skirt but rather the lack of undergarments?

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 3):
WN wrote to the woman's mother (?) that WN enforces a dress code to:
"ensure the comfort of children and “adults with heightened sensitivities.”"

Adults with heightened sensitivities? What the hell? LOL

Analog

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 6):

Perhaps airlines should go back to the days when they handed out blindfolds to all passengers.

DeltaGuy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:42 am

What a hottie though...who cares. The airlines need more eye candy these days. I wish more FA's were as smokin as her.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Someone83

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:43 am

Thankfully, good looking and fit women are still allowed to wear a mini skirt here in Europe  Yeah sure

yowza

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:49 am

Well she's not that hot and that outfit certainly wasn't that offensive. Perhaps those who weighted in on the Qatari Royal being booted off a flight thread would care to comment on western tolerance here?

My guess, the woman was being a bitch and the FA used whatever reason was available to boot her off. In my experience women who gravitate towards Gucci are bitches (see the bag).

Another possibility she was sweating like crazy and that white top became sort of see through.

YOWza

EWRCabincrew

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:55 am

Adults with heightened sensitivities? What the hell?

The ability to crack a fat (pop wood, get a boner) at a moments notice.

"Keith" went overboard. What she had on is more than fine. I see far worse. The airline is not there to judge fashion. So she sits down and the possiblity of a vertical smile looms. BFD.

If "Keith" takes someone off for a mini skirt (and the possibility of the free show), where does he stop? Gnarly looking toes on someone wearing flip-flops? Breast augmentions that are wicked huge (and not in a good way)?

Someone takes his job far too seriously.
You can't cure stupid

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:56 am

I'm not complaining btw. I would have gladly let her sit by me  Smile

AH332

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:00 am

Hi,

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 9):
Thankfully, good looking and fit women are still allowed to wear a mini skirt here in Europe

Nicely put my friend!  thumbsup 

Cheers,
Imad
Bledi Heya Al Djazaeer! // Next Flights: AB MIA-DUS-ORY, AF ORY-MRS-ALG

MDorBust

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 am

No one on Southwest should ever fly with a mini-skirt on!!!!

IGNORE THAT PICTURE!!!
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

tsaord

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 am

Wow. Well summer is almost over. I have seen my fair share of skimpy here at ORD let me tell you. AA agents and some other TSA folks were talking about this young lady who looked like she just came from the hoochy club in the first class line. She had on heels yet her little diva shorts we just high and you could see her cheeks. She had on no panties!!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
The skirt is super short.

Yeah but..... :

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
“I asked him what part of my outfit was offensive,” she said. “The shirt? The skirt? And he said, 'The whole thing.' ”

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
She was able to sit like that in a chair for a photograph. Could she sit like that in the plane?

Well on the plane she'd have a seat in front of her.

Quoting Indy (Reply 5):
It may have been the skirt and he was too embarrassed to say it. Without turning this R rated perhaps he didn't want to say it wasn't the shirt or skirt but rather the lack of undergarments?

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 9):
Thankfully, good looking and fit women are still allowed to wear a mini skirt here in Europe

And thankfully they are allowed here too. I agree with your 'rolleyes', its a little strange.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 10):
My guess, the woman was being a bitch and the FA used whatever reason was available to boot her off. In my experience women who gravitate towards Gucci are bitches (see the bag).

A little bit presumptive of you. There was no comment about a confrontation with the FA and I can't believe that WN would not have mentioned that if there was.

Quoting Indy (Reply 12):
I'm not complaining btw. I would have gladly let her sit by me Smile

OK, I'm relieved, you had my wondering there for a minute. Big grin She can sit next to me anytime and if she has to climb over to get to her seat even better!  Smile

The ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps she had an aisle seat and with her short skirt more than the skirt was visible as one walked down the aisle. But even still all the FA had to do was bring her a blanket and, with a big smile, let her know that the world could see her and it might be best to protect her dignity. Its not that tough to figure out.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 14):
No one on Southwest should ever fly with a mini-skirt on!!!!

Ah yes, the real golden age of aviation!

Tom in NO

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 5):
Without turning this R rated perhaps he didn't want to say it wasn't the shirt or skirt but rather the lack of undergarments?

I'll say it.....perhaps the agent thought the lady was going commando, or perhaps wondered why she was doing her Britney Spears imitation  wink 

Nice backhanded jab at San Diego, though.....she's gotta go to fly to Tucson to find a doctor that she obvious can't find in LoCal. (and here I thought we here in New Orleans were hurting for doctors)

Quoting YOWza (Reply 10):
My guess, the woman was being a bitch and the FA used whatever reason was available to boot her off.

That thought crossed my mind, as well.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

RussianJet

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:19 am

I see passengers dressed worse than that EVERY day - and plenty of them.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Ramp2CSA2FA2FO

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:21 am

I have seen far worse board my airplane and would never think to say anything to any of my PAX about their attire. Though I might not agree with what they are wearing, we do live in a free country and as long as all the necessary parts are covered there should not be a problem. The outfit she was wearing actually looked quite nice compared to many other outfits I have seen. For those of You who travel, how often have you "people watched" in the terminal on ground sits, and wondered what the heck people were thinking when they got dressed? As far as the statement about "adults and children with heightened sensitivities", perhaps those people should not go out of their house. I am tired of having to walk on egg shells with people and their feelings........Grow up! For those parents who say it might be offensive to their children, these are probably the same parents who took their "children" to see the "Simpson's Movie". (My point here is that there always seems to be somone who has a double standard when it comes to something offensive to their children, which by the way I thought the "Simpson's Movie" was hillarious.)

Happy Landings

Jay.

dragon6172

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
She was able to sit like that in a chair for a photograph. Could she sit like that in the plane? Perhaps she was unknowingly putting on a show for the rest of the plane if you know what I mean.

Wow, did not know that Southwest had seat pitch big enough for her to put on a show for the rest of the plane!! Honestly the only people who would have a chance at a show are the people in her row, or anyone moving in the aisle if she had an aisle seat. Either way, I dont think its that big of a deal.
Phrogs Phorever

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 am

I personally have no problem with it. And as a pig (male) I welcome it Big grin

FLALEFTY

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:42 am

If I had been the captain, I would have invited her up to the jump seat in the cockpit.

PanAm747

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:43 am

Quote:
Well summer is almost over.

Not in San Diego it isn't...it's been ridiculously hot here with humidities more akin to the Amazon jungle. Knowing that air conditioning systems here haven't been able to keep up, perhaps she was dressing appropriately for both San Diego and Tucson.

As for "Keith", is it really his job to determine who is dressed appropriately or not? I ask that in all seriousness - who is the final authority on what a person can wear and what they can not?

Quote:
“We don't have a dress code.”

At some point, yes you do - every public place, whether it's written down or not, will tell the person wearing nothing but a "g-string and a smile" to leave and not return until they are attired more appropriately.

The question in this case is exactly where is this line?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Arcrftlvr

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
Perhaps she was unknowingly putting on a show for the rest of the plane if you know what I mean.

It would be impossible to put on a show with a seat or bulkhead about 33" in front of her.

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
And who dresses like that to fly out of town for an appointment that lasts only a couple of hours?

And who are you to pass judgement on how anyone should dress.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 4):
wearing which had a pretty offensive, vulgar word on it because that would have offended people.....and

This is the problem with our stupid society. Everyone is way way too sensitive. So what if there was an 'offensive' word. What's the worst that can happen? Anarchy? Because someone's shirt says something that someone else doesn't like? Come on! I heard my first 'bad' word when I was 6 and I seemed to grow up pretty well adjusted. I hate how our society is so sensitive these days. It disgusting!

Boeing7E7

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
So I ask our Southwest brethren (and sistren?) out there, what the hell was Keith's problem? It just sounds too bizarre.

One thing not apparent, was she wearing anything under the skirt, and if not was this the problem?

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 25):

And who are you to make such a comment about my comment? If some 400lb guy wearing a thong only got on the plane and wanted to sit next to you would you feel a right to pass judgment? Ever walked through a store and thought "oh my god how can someone wear that?" It is my right as a person with eyesight to pass judgment on how someone dresses because I have to look at it. Society passes judgment on how people dress. It is a fact of life. It always has been and it always will be.

Arcrftlvr

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 27):
And who are you to make such a comment about my comment? If some 400lb guy wearing a thong only got on the plane and wanted to sit next to you would you feel a right to pass judgment? Ever walked through a store and thought "oh my god how can someone wear that?" It is my right as a person with eyesight to pass judgment on how someone dresses because I have to look at it. Society passes judgment on how people dress. It is a fact of life. It always has been and it always will be.

That's fine, but keep your judgements to yourself. I have thought the same things of other people, but I don't put them down in writing.

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:11 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 26):
One thing not apparent, was she wearing anything under the skirt, and if not was this the problem?

Again if that was the problem then that would have been an entirely different discussion between Keith and here and it would have resulted in a different letter and I doubt she would have been willing to do an interview with the local paper (though sometimes people just want attention don't they and both actions will certainly get her some. Looking at her picture it just doesn't seem like that's what she's after, the body language is wrong).

If she was indecent then Keith could have simply given her a blanket and told hew why. End of problem. Can just any FA call a passenger out? Or does it have to be some "special level" of FA (more experience, a purser, etc.)?

Tug

XT6Wagon

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:13 am

want fun (of a sadistic sort), just think of the enjoyment that young woman would have jumping on a slide if they had to evacuate for some reason. More so if she "forgot" the underware that day. 100+ lbs of woman going with gravity, one large sheet of vinyl deciding that given the sudden contact of bare skin... gravity is going to at least for a short time lose the fight.

Aka why smart people wear non-synthetic pants on planes. Less chance if you win the OMGWTFBBQ EVERYONE GET OUT lotto, you don't win the "skin graft" lotto too. Even more so since you may be subjected to a trip down the slide even if your plane isn't going to kill you if you don't leave. A simple low speed overrun sticks the plane and makes it such that they can't get the stairs to you and such.

silentbob

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 24):
At some point, yes you do - every public place, whether it's written down or not, will tell the person wearing nothing but a "g-string and a smile" to leave and not return until they are attired more appropriately.

I have always used the "tube top and a jockstrap" example myself, but yours works quite well.

We all judge everyone on some level be it dress, behavior or otherwise. We may not be vocal or even negative in the way we do it, but we all make judgments about people we see or interact with. The problem is when the person making that judgment uses some bit of authority to make an arbitrary decision.

On the original topic:
It's really not appropriate for flying but at least she doesn't outweigh me and dress like that. I see that all the time and I'm not a small guy.

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 28):
That's fine, but keep your judgements to yourself. I have thought the same things of other people, but I don't put them down in writing.

I have a right to express my opinion just as much as you do. There is no difference in commenting on how someone dressed or how someone acted.

BNinMSY

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:24 am

Poor Keith .. it probably wasn't him .. but some freaked out passenger that complained and Keith had to 'respond' ... if he was serious Idon't think he would have closed the door and dispatchted the flight.

People dress like hoochies these days .. ESPECIALLY when they fly .. trying to imitate some celebrity I suppose.
It's ridiculous.

We also are known as the flip-flop nation overseas.... the national footwear....ridiculous! All those bad toes and cracked heals ... who wants to see that mess!?

zvezda

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 15):
I have seen my fair share of skimpy here at ORD let me tell you. AA agents and some other TSA folks were talking about this young lady who looked like she just came from the hoochy club in the first class line. She had on heels yet her little diva shorts we just high and you could see her cheeks. She had on no panties!!

In Pridnestrovie it is common for skirts to not completely cover the cheeks, though thongs are usually worn underneath unless the weather is too hot for underwear. This sort of puritan attitude just inclines me to boycott WN.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:26 am

Probably 'Keith' is some hypocritical prude, the kind that tells women how to dress, and (for example) supports the President's war in Iraq. Yes, her outfit was a bit small and tight, but at least she looked like the kind of body that works with that outfit.  biggrin 

NG1Fan

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:28 am

Maybe 'Keith', batting for the other team, got a case of 'heightened sensitivities' and he freaked out!

I think he was out of line. The young lady in question looks hot and dresses in what I consider to be flattering to her figure. in Fat A** USA, maybe she's a freak?

Luckily, the rest of the world can have a bit of a chuckle of the sheer hypocrisy of US moral standards. Reminds me of the 'moral majority' who are neither.

Keith, grow up. If you must comment about her appearance, do so in private. And since when was it a flight attendant's purpose to selflessly guard a lass' modesty? Maybe she was too distracting for him - then the problem lies with him, not her. And I don't get the part about writing to her mother. She's of legal age, therefore, mum doesn't come into it, or so thought I.

NG1Fan

N1120A

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 14):

Brilliant!!

Anyway, this is pretty stupid, especially considering that WN's home state of Texas is known for their women walking around with T&A popping out, not to mention being the home of the breast implant.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Lexy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 am

That's EXACTLY what I thought! LOL!!
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:39 am

I never heard about this. Hmmm, interesting. There must be more to the story. You should see some of the outfits we see on a typical Friday night SAN-LAS flight.  biggrin 

I'll have to look into it.

[Edited 2007-09-06 02:43:54]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Indy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 33):
Poor Keith .. it probably wasn't him .. but some freaked out passenger that complained and Keith had to 'respond' ... if he was serious Idon't think he would have closed the door and dispatchted the flight.

It could have been worse. He could have had to tell the person that they stink. What could be worse than that? Well maybe telling them they need two seats.

PanAm747

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 am

Quote:
Maybe 'Keith', batting for the other team, got a case of 'heightened sensitivities' and he freaked out!

If Keith indeed does "bat for the other team", he would have told her, "that's a lovely outfit you're wearing - if you're planning on continuing to have that affair with the school superintendent"...  rotfl 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 39):
I'll have to look into it.

Hooray!....... Someone from SWA! Yes please do, I am curious as to "the other side"

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 39):
You should see some of the outfits we see on a typical Friday night SAN-LAS flight. biggrin

I can only imagine! But I know what I see at SAN when I'm heading out for travel! DAMN! (on both sides of OMG.... "Why would THAT person wear that" to "Huminah Huminah Huminah!" Big grin

Can you also answer:

Quoting Tugger (Reply 29):
Can just any FA call a passenger out? Or does it have to be some "special level" of FA (more experience, a purser, etc.)?

Thanks

Tug

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 am

So what if there was an 'offensive' word

The guy had F&&K in big print on his shirt. Not offensive to me...but the flight crew in the gate area sure noticed it and thought it'd be a good idea if I say something...so I did.

Mir

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

Nothing in that outfit, regardless of whether you think it looks good or not) that justifies removal from a flight. This F/A screwed up.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Delta767300ER

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

She has ugly legs, but I have seen people dress way worse than that on an airplane. She may be dressed like a hoochie but IMO its not that bad. I figured since Southwest has the reputation as "Wal Mart Air" they would not care what you were dressed like.

-Delta767300ER

concordegboad

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:19 am

She looks so innocent in that SignOnSanDiego picture.

Now, take a look at her Myspace pictures and that'll change your mind! I won't link them here  Smile

She likes to show it, that's for sure and her attitude shows through!

Airbus767

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 am

I've seen worst on CATHOLIC high school dress down days, and they don't get reprimanded. I can't help but wonder though, would she have been allowed to board on the Vatican's new airline?  scratchchin   Big grin
LAN ~ United Airlines ~ Aerolineas Argentinas ~ Pluna ~ Varig ~ American Airlines

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Concordegboad (Reply 46):
Now, take a look at her Myspace pictures and that'll change your mind! I won't link them here

Wow, good call! Like I said, there has to be more to the story. I'm having my doubts that her appearance in that photo is a 100% accurate depiction of what she looked like at the time.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Delta767300ER

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 am

Quote:
I've seen worst on CATHOLIC high school dress down days, and they don't get reprimanded. I can't help but wonder though, would she have been allowed to board on the Vatican's new airline?

That shows even more hypocraticy(sp) of the Roman Catholic Church but thats for another forum.

We all know she's a slut according to her MySpace pictures. Here is the link: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...=user.viewprofile&friendID=1411029

If she was dressed like a couple of her pictures, I could understand Southwest kicking her off.

-Delta767300ER