cslusarc

Is There Potential For MIA-TRU/IQT/PIU Flight?

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:49 am

I was wondering when AA begins to receive more 73Ws beginning in 2009 will it be able to launch more Latin American flights from MIA. Peru is one of those countries that is within the range of the 738 from MIA. With Latin America's fast growning economy will routes like MIA to TRU, IQT or PIU be possible, given that they are all closer to MIA than LIM.

MIA - LIM: 2608 mi
MIA - IQT: 2087 mi
MIA - PIU: 2131 mi
MIA - TRU: 2330 mi

I think that altleast one of these routes may be viable. If I had to pick one it would be MIA - TRU. At Capitán FAP Carlos Martínez de Pinillos International Airport there is limited air service except within Peru, where three airlines fly to LIM.
--cslusarc from YWG

BigGSFO

RE: Is There Potential For MIA-TRU/IQT/PIU Flight?

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:21 am

I woud think MIA-IQT would have a chance at success. Iquitos is a remote city - accessible only by air and river, so there is most likely the demand for a cargo/passneger link to MIA and beyond. In addition it is the gateway to eco-tourism along the Amazon in Peru. 3-4 weekly non-stops to Miami could probably do well.

I was in IQT 2 years ago - the airport itself is small and I am not sure how capable they are of processing a planeload of passengers thru customs .

2travel2know

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:15 pm

I would guess AQP and IQT are to get northbound international service by a non-Peruvian airline before TRU and PIU.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

SJOtoLIR

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:51 am

Lan Peru (LP) flies LIM-IQT, LIM-TRU and LIM-PIU.
Regarding the agreement within One World, LP involves their domestic operations with AA on MIA-LIM.
Further studies may determinate if they would support dedicated services to MIA in the future.
Nowadays IQT, TRU and PIU are rather getting domestic flights.
Have these airports declared as international? Do they operate 24 hours year-round?
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

MAH4546

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:18 am

Adding A320 flights from secondary Peruivan cities, noteably Iquitos, has always been part of LAN Peru's longer term expansion plans, and it is something you might see in the future. Historically, Iquitos has supported Miami flights, and they have done well. The last Miami flights were operated by Aero Continente until around 2003.
a.