FATFlyer
Topic Author

DOT To Release XJet Branded Ops T-100s Next Week

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:54 am

The DOT has informed ExpressJet that their motion to withhold T-100 info related to the independent branded operation has been denied.

Unless there is a protest the DOT plans to make the info public in 10 days.

Some are aware that XJet sought to keep the data confidential for 1 year, stating they were concerned about the use of the info by other airlines while XJet was still in a startup phase.

The DOT, in a 4 page letter to XJet, analyzed the arguments then explained its reasoning this way:
ExpressJet unquestionably has competition from a number of air carriers and undoubtedly these
carriers will review ExpressJet’s data. However, we disagree that the release of T-100 traffic
data will permit a competitor to use this information to make strategic judgments that would
likely cause substantial harm io ExpressJet’s competitive position. While T-100 data provides a
competitor aggregate numbers for a particular route, these numbers do not provide the competitor
with the ability to determine profit margins or other sensitive business information. Carriers
compete for customers based on a number of factors as customers shop for the best available
transportation services. Sorne carriers compete on price but others emphasize the quality of the
product it is offering consumers. These factors are not divulged in the Schedule T-100 traffic
data. It would be counter to the Department’s longstanding data dissemination practices and the
public interest for us to grant a motion of confidential treatment for Schedule T-100 data absent
strong evidence of the likelihood of substantial competitive harm (see, Martin Marietta Corp. v.
Dalton, 974 F. Supp. 37 (D.D.C. 1997)). Moreover, it would be unfair for the Department to
deny ExpressJet’s competitors access to ExpressJet’s reports while their reports are subject to
review by ExpressJet (see, Silverberg v. HHS, No. 89-2743, 1991 WL 633740 (D.D.C. June 14,
1991)).

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf103/486823_web.pdf
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

LAXintl

RE: DOT To Release XJet Branded Ops T-100s Next Week

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:08 am

I suppose this does not bode well for Skybus either whom had planned to keep its data under wraps as well, plus Jetblue whom most recently filed to hold back information in several of its newer markets.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ERJ170

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:46 am

Well.. XJet July flights for RDU were 59.5%.. not bad.. rising about 15% each month..
Aiming High and going far..

LAXintl

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 am

Here is a little news story on the DOT ruling. -- Jetblue request was similarly denied.

Quote:
DOT Rejects ExpressJet Bid For Confidentiality Of T-100 Data
09/12/2007

The U.S. Transportation Dept. yesterday rejected a motion from ExpressJet seeking confidential treatment of T-100 data from its branded flying, and a recent request from JetBlue using similar arguments will likely get the snub from the department.

Barring an appeal from the carrier, ExpressJet's T-100 data for April-July will become available for public view within 10 days.

ExpressJet used a Freedom of Information Act exemption to bolster its claim that competitors could use the T-100 figures to gather data on revenue passenger enplanements, revenue aircraft miles scheduled and revenue aircraft miles flown and ramp up competition against the months-old operation. JetBlue used the same arguments to argue for confidentiality for routes launched since July 2006.

Full story (subscription required)
http://www.aviationweek.com/publicat...+For+Confidentiality+Of+T-100+Data
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

knope2001

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 am

This is as good a place as any to update airport load factors for July. Some are lagging (ONT, BMH, GEG, SAT) but most of the reporting airports are out there now:

58.0% JAX
59.6% RDU
51.2% SDF
73.2% OMA
64.5% MCI
59.6% MSY
42.7% AUS
16.0% CRP
56.3% ABQ
67.1% SAN
73.8% COS

Two of the lagging airports do have June stats that (I think) have not been posted yet. These are *June*
41.9% SAT
46.2% BHM

Good to see numbers improve, and these generally follow their disclosure than some of the western markets are seeing strongest loads. It will be interesting to see if these improved loads represent building traffic as their brand awareness increases, or if they are primarily due to spill. United, American and Delta flew nearly 90% full in the US for July, and most other carries were in the 80's.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:00 am

BFL-SMF started on Sunday. Media report said Monday's flight was about 20 passengers outbound from BFL.
http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/233290.html
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ERJ170

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:11 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 4):
Good to see numbers improve, and these generally follow their disclosure than some of the western markets are seeing strongest loads.

Remember Knope, that the western side had a month's lead on the eastern side.. a better comparison would be the east's July vs the west's June.. how comparable are they? I personally think the numbers are looking dang good..

As for BHM.. are the numbers equal for RDU and MSY or is one doing better than the other?

Added information:

Okay, so I went back and compared the "East - July" vs the "West - June".. both representing about 3 months or service..

West (June) vs East (July)
COS (56%) vs JAX (58%)
GEG (54.5%) vs RDU (59.6%)
ONT (48.9%) vs SDF (51.2%)
ABQ (36.5%) vs MCI (64.5%)
OMA (60.2%) vs MSY (59.6%)

Taking out of the account BHM (East) and AUS (West).. I think the East is kicking ARSE!

[Edited 2007-09-12 02:19:52]
Aiming High and going far..

joeljack

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:22 am

Off the subject....

Knoope-You still going to post monthly T100 Midwest data on the yahoo boards? Been looking everyday but still nothing yet. I've read it every month for years...Thanks!!

knope2001

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 7):
Off the subject....

Knoope-You still going to post monthly T100 Midwest data on the yahoo boards? Been looking everyday but still nothing yet. I've read it every month for years...Thanks!!

Yeah, I think so. I had thought of maybe doing it here or on Flyertalk instead. But it's probably more detail than a general board like tihs is interested in, where topics can quickly get burried a few pages under in a day or two if not replied to. And I'm not sure enough people on Flyertalk are interested in that level of detail, either.

The key reason I did not post May yet to Flyertalk is that Skywest's May apparently numbers didn't get submitted in time to make the DoT report. (That's all fo Skywest, UA, DL and YX) So I wouldn't have the Skywest numbers. Sometimes the DoT site does a mid-month update, so I was hoping they would update and have Skywest's numbers, but so far not.

The next scheduled T100 release is for this Thursday, and hopefully Skywest will be included so I can post complete numbers. I'll do it over on Yahoo.

echster

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:11 pm

From the September 1st Press-Enterprise:

LA/Ontario International Airport had 678,503 passengers in July, up 6.53 percent compared to a year ago, according to airport statistics.

ExpressJet Airlines, which launched its regional service at the airport in April, had 58,295 passengers in the month. Based on the airport's market share summary, the airline's 50-seat jets could have carried 87,650 passengers on 1,753 flights during that time. From April to June, the airline had 79,389 passengers.

joeljack

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 8):
Yeah, I think so. I had thought of maybe doing it here or on Flyertalk instead. But it's probably more detail than a general board like tihs is interested in, where topics can quickly get burried a few pages under in a day or two if not replied to. And I'm not sure enough people on Flyertalk are interested in that level of detail, either.

The key reason I did not post May yet to Flyertalk is that Skywest's May apparently numbers didn't get submitted in time to make the DoT report. (That's all fo Skywest, UA, DL and YX) So I wouldn't have the Skywest numbers. Sometimes the DoT site does a mid-month update, so I was hoping they would update and have Skywest's numbers, but so far not.

The next scheduled T100 release is for this Thursday, and hopefully Skywest will be included so I can post complete numbers. I'll do it over on Yahoo.

Cool, I did notice that about skywest. I'm with you, there really isn't a good place to post that info on here. It would just get lost pretty fast. Although it could work depending on how many people use the search tool. I search for OMA and DSM on a regular basis so a person like me would still pull up the thread. It's awesome that you take the time to look and do the research for midwest. It's a small enough airline that one can still track data and remember it from month to month.

Side note: I really hope OMA-LAX works out for the long haul...current seat maps don't look promising, besides the USC-Nebraska game, traffic has really fallen off since summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos