UNDAEROSPACE

United Possibly Starting Service To Grand Forks

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:26 am

I just watched a news report on WDAZ in Grand Forks that United is seriously considering adding service to Grand Forks North Dakota. Does any one see this as a reality? Hopefully they come in here and reduce the stranglehold Northwest has on the Greater Grand Forks Community.

SNCNtry32

RE: United Possibly Starting Service To Grand Forks

Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting Undaerospace (Thread starter):
I just watched a news report on WDAZ in Grand Forks that United is seriously considering adding service to Grand Forks North Dakota. Does any one see this as a reality? Hopefully they come in here and reduce the stranglehold Northwest has on the Greater Grand Forks Community.

Oh boy...

This should get ugly if it happens. Maybe NW will send more then a Saab and a CRJ up there if this happens.
Long Live Memphis!

dc-9-10

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting SNCntry32 (Reply 1):
This should get ugly if it happens. Maybe NW will send more then a Saab and a CRJ up there if this happens.

Why would they?? All United is going to fly is CRJs. If it is true expect fares to be be low for the "honeymoon" period, but go right back up at least to the levels of FAR.

Mir

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 am

Will the flights be to ORD and DEN or only one of the two?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

skyrat

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 pm

I'd put my money on DEN service. UA seems to be adding new service to hubs other than ORD. Smart moves since ORD is pretty much maxed out on flights.
flown:146,a319,a320,717,722,733,735,738,744,752,763,772,crj2,crj7,crj9,dc9,dc10,e135,e145,e170,e175,frj,md80

UNDAEROSPACE

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 pm

From what i heard it was just going to be from Denver with two flights aday.

SFO777200LR

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Now they are flipping doing it! I waited 3 years for this service and now they want to start. Damn them.
To take flight is like to make love; one must have ecstasy, passion, and a majestic partner.

SNCNtry32

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 2):
Why would they?? All United is going to fly is CRJs. If it is true expect fares to be be low for the "honeymoon" period, but go right back up at least to the levels of FAR.

NW is territorial IMHO.
Long Live Memphis!

burnsie28

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Haha, you mean like when UA served GFK just as recent as about 6 years ago. Not to mention should be interesting as to where they would park as NW has whole rights to the gates and such, supposidly. Finally, those at OO have heard nothing about it, and what is UA going to offer that NW doesn't already (fares are typically same sometimes cheaper in GFK then FAR now) other then a 2hr CRJ ride to DEN? After just watching the report, I find it comical the guy acts like you have to go "so far east" (hardly). Finally, problem is the CRJ will be filled with some college students as most people here have way too many miles on NW to give them up, UA has tried GFK service before, I don't think it would last long if they came here. Also in talks with Frontier airlines is yet just another joke.

[Edited 2007-09-13 06:06:52]

burnsie28

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting SNCntry32 (Reply 1):
Maybe NW will send more then a Saab and a CRJ up there if this happens.

Did you forget about the 3 daily DC-9's as well?

SNCNtry32

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 9):
Did you forget about the 3 daily DC-9's as well?

Yes.

I did.

HA, sorry. I was relying off of a commuting pilot who made it out to seem that all they send up there is a Saab and the occasional 200.
Long Live Memphis!

N353SK

RE: United Possibly Starting Service To Grand Fork

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Personally I think GFK is overserved as it is. The GFK "metro" area is what, 60,000 - 70,000 people? Is there any sort of big industry up there that puts butts in seats up there?

I'm not saying UA shouldn't enter the market, but when GFK suddenly has 100 more seats every day that it can't support it won't last long.

Does anybody have any data about NW's loads/yields out of GFK?

UND2011

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 11):
Personally I think GFK is over served as it is. The GFK "metro" area is what, 60,000 - 70,000 people?

97,000 people. (Way more than I ever would have guessed).

Now, I would welcome UA to GFK gladly. I am sick of the NW monopoly and am tired of paying $500 for flights to SEA.

My question is though, I heard somewhere that there is not enough capacity in the terminal at GFK to handle NW as it currently is. Where would UA get the space to fly into here?
Flown on: A300,A319,A320,A332,BAe146,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,CRJ200,DC9,DH8,ERJ145,MD80

cslusarc

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 pm

Isn't the I-29 Corridor in ND, SD and MN one of the fastest growing (percentage wise) areas in the US? The growth is comming from folk leaving small town farms and moving to Greater Grand Forks, Fargo-Morehead and Sioux Falls.

[Note that Winnipeg, MB, Canada is at the top of that Transportation Corridor and it is growing quite slowly.]
--cslusarc from YWG

phelpsie87

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:18 pm

I am not sure if NW owns the gates in GFK, or leases them, but that will be a factor in recruiting a new airline. I really can't see this happening anytime soon, at least not until the new terminal is built, and we all know how long construction (especially in ND) takes.

I have not heard a peep from anyone, including my boss who was in ORD last week for a meeting herself. I think UA needs to up FAR service before it thinks about entering a market it really has no place for right now. FAR is going to grow like a weed once the new Microsoft campus is fully underway. We have already seen increased loads, having the busiest summer yet. I would like to see several CR7s a day to FAR. We currently get one from DEN and back in the late afternoon, and starting later in Oct., we will see it fly DEN-FAR-ORD. More of those, plus maybe ATL service on DLC, would certainly be enough until this state grows more.

Personally I think GFK is over served as it is. The GFK "metro" area is what, 60,000 - 70,000 people? Is there any sort of big industry up there that puts butts in seats up there?

I can't think of any companies off the top of my head that would need as many seats as there are. I do agree with you though. I have seen the loads to and from that haven't been that impressive. Of course, this is the airline biz, so that is expected, but sometimes its over kill.

burnsie28

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting UND2011 (Reply 12):
Now, I would welcome UA to GFK gladly. I am sick of the NW monopoly and am tired of paying $500 for flights to SEA.

And UA coming here is going to change that? Look at FAR, its just as expensive, and lately when searching for flights from either here in GFK or FAR its been the same price or even cheaper to fly in and out of GFK. Some friends from Orlando are coming in February, its $200 CHEAPER to fly to GFK then FAR.

Does anybody have any data about NW's loads/yields out of GFK?

It's a roller coaster. Sometimes, such as this past summer flights have been sold out all day, then sometimes they are wide open, its an odd market with no real level off in passenger loads, sometimes they will fill all 3 DC-9-50's they send here, recently they sent an A320 which came in, and left completely full, in fact they had to leave some people behind.

IMO if GFK wanted a carrier that would work going south they should have contacted Delta, thus, since just about everyone in GFK has NW worldperks they can earn and redeem on Delta.

Is there any sort of big industry up there that puts butts in seats up there?

Cirrus Aircraft, Amazon.com, US Bank, UND, UND's soon research center, Alerus Financial, Altru Health Systems, LM Fiberglas, Coca-Cola Dakota's, Rydell Auto Company (Owns a lot of dealerships nationwide). Marvin Windows and Doors. All of which have a large presence in and around the GFK area.

Mir

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 am

I heard somewhere that there is not enough capacity in the terminal at GFK to handle NW as it currently is. Where would UA get the space to fly into here?

GFK's terminal is big enough for UA and NW. Whether NW will give up one of the gates is a different matter.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MSYtristar

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:16 am

Didn't United Express fly MSP-GFK with Beech 1900's for awhile? I seem to remember those flight in the timetables.

burnsie28

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 17):
Didn't United Express fly MSP-GFK with Beech 1900's for awhile? I seem to remember those flight in the timetables.

Yep they sure did when UA had somewhat of a mini hub pursay at MSP, got owned by NW.

There really isn't room for another carrier in a slightly overserved market as it is, and NW certainly isn't going to drop a flight so another carrier can come in.

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:10 am

I seem to remember that GFK has an incentive offer for new service. I am sure this will help.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 15):
IMO if GFK wanted a carrier that would work going south they should have contacted Delta, thus, since just about everyone in GFK has NW worldperks they can earn and redeem on Delta.

The problem with SLC is there is very little O/D traffic to SLC from GFK while the O/D to DEN is much larger. United has done well in expanding their DEN operations to smaller markets such as IDA, GTF & FCA. GFK can support an addiitonal airline if they reduce the leakage to FAR which is what this would be expected to do. Besides, competition generally increases the market as well. (Remember, at one time, GFK had 3 mainline carriers with North Central, Northwest and Frontier).

Terminal space (or gate space) for that matter will not be a problem in GFK as they will find a way to make it happen. That's what smaller airports do all the time.

Good luck GFK!

[Edited 2007-09-13 19:20:39]

phelpsie87

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:29 am

Well, now that I think about it...its not like NW uses both gates all the time. Mainly just on the morning flights and the RONs, so it is feasibly possible for a another airline to occupy that unused gate. Even if UA or F9 come to GFK, who are they looking at to ground handle? Would they have to expand the ticket counter? Would UA put OO in, or contract out to 9E? Besides all of those, the obvious question, what times would work the best as far as gate space, pax demand, and reasonable connection times?

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 20):
the obvious question, what times would work the best

This would be determined by the market planning department at United and if you want a good guess, look at what United does in Fargo and Bismarck and it will give a good indication. I would anticipate an arrival around 11:00 p.m. and then depart the next morning around 6:00 a.m. The second flight would likely either arrive and depart around the noon hour (most likely) or about the 6:00 p.m. hour.

aviatortj

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:53 am

First of all, this will not happen. At least until the new terminal is up and running. United would be better off upgrading service out of Fargo and/or Winnipeg considering Grand Forks is in the middle of the service area of those two airports.

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
GFK's terminal is big enough for UA and NW. Whether NW will give up one of the gates is a different matter.

GFK's terminal is not big enough for NW. It may have two gates, but when a full DC9 is at one gate, there is not enough room for 125 passengers off that plane, let alone whatever is at the remaining gate.

Pre 2000's, this airport had up to 3 airlines up to 24 flights a day. Since then, it has not operated more than one airline post 9/11. The logistics of an operation are completely different than they were ten years ago. In my opinion, this airport will not see anything until a new terminal is operational. Even then, I still believe Fargo would be a better solution for travelers and competing airlines.

Also, the two gates are owned by the Grand Forks Airport Authority. They were sold off by NW a few years ago.

[Edited 2007-09-13 21:58:17]

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 22):
First of all, this will not happen. At least until the new terminal is up and running.

GFK is not the first airport to have severe congestion. If the airport didn't believe they could handle another airline, why would they offer an incentive to bring in a second. Can you imagine the public backlash if they had gotten Frontier and then they said, sorry, we have an incentive for you but you can't come because we are full. The terminal building will not determine whether UA or F9 or anyone else decides to come to GFK, it will be based upon whether that airline believes there is a market for them.

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 22):
Even then, I still believe Fargo would be a better solution for travelers and competing airlines.

I'd bet that most GFK passengers would disagree. If that were true, NW might as well pull out of GFK so that everyone can drive to FAR. Why not let the market decide whether it is good for them or not?

iflykpdx

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 am

My question is though, I heard somewhere that there is not enough capacity in the terminal at GFK to handle NW as it currently is. Where would UA get the space to fly into here?

God, I so agree with this. 2 roundtrip tix to PDX were 1000$, it's insane.
Airport Management - UND

access-air

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting IflyKPDX (Reply 24):
God, I so agree with this. 2 roundtrip tix to PDX were 1000$, it's insane.

How do you think NW can make up the difference on their high density markets like MSP-ORD or ORD-DTW and so on. They charge sky high fares ot the less dense routes, those are the flights that subsidize all the other el-cheapo markets....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

azstar

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 am

In 2006, Grand Forks enplaned/deplaned slightly over 180,000 passengers. Fargo enplaned/deplaned almost 610,000 revenue passengers. Both are trending downward in 2007. Fargo will likely lose Delta service to Salt Lake City. Out of 200 Delta cities, Fargo is in 200th place for revenue produced. It is not likely that Grand Forks would be able to sustain 100 seats to Denver on a daily basis.

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Azstar (Reply 26):
Out of 200 Delta cities, Fargo is in 200th place for revenue produced.

Very marginal market for Delta, but as a market altogether, Fargo is 136th out of the top 200 US markets in revenue produced and had a 17.2% increase in 2006 to 56,494,000 compared to 47,364,000 in 2005. The average for the top 200 markets was an increase of 9.7% 2006 vs 2005.

Grand Forks is a risk but not a whole lot riskier than UA entering GTF with NW, QX and DL already a market of about 300,000 enplaned/deplaned that had virtually no leakage. I don't believe GTF offered much of an incentive either. The point is, while it is a risk, I would not be surprised to see United try.

[Edited 2007-09-14 00:33:08]

[Edited 2007-09-14 00:34:29]

aviatortj

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting Stapleton (Reply 23):

GFK is not the first airport to have severe congestion. If the airport didn't believe they could handle another airline, why would they offer an incentive to bring in a second. Can you imagine the public backlash if they had gotten Frontier and then they said, sorry, we have an incentive for you but you can't come because we are full. The terminal building will not determine whether UA or F9 or anyone else decides to come to GFK, it will be based upon whether that airline believes there is a market for them.

We're going to be toying with semantics here, but congestion is not what is being experienced at GFK. The airport authority has pipe dreams of getting airlines into a terminal that will not be able to successfully house multiple airline operations in the current environment. If F9 or UA were ever to get to the point where it came time to inspect the facilities, it will be clear that they could not house a successful operation with another airline. I'll put money on the assumption that neither F9 nor UA will begin service to GFK until a new terminal facility is operational.

Quoting Stapleton (Reply 23):

I'd bet that most GFK passengers would disagree. If that were true, NW might as well pull out of GFK so that everyone can drive to FAR. Why not let the market decide whether it is good for them or not?

GFK, along with a handful of other cities in the Mid-West are lucky to have the service that they do. There is no disputing that GFK rests perfectly within the service area of YWG and FAR. Instead of spending the money to begin service to a new city, and increase overhead, why not add seats to an existing market that services the market you are targeting? According to GFKAirport.com, there were just over 86,000 enplanements in 2006. If all of the enplanements were on NWA, based roughly on NW's schedule of nearly 138,000 seats a year, the load averages out to about 63%.

Based on the situation, with NWA continuing to serve Grand Forks, it is apparent there is some money [for NWA] in this already overserved market. However, the investment in starting operations at a city that may not be able to fill additional seats doesn't make sense to me. Subsequently, not everybody in that nick of the woods does things because they make sense.

sxf24

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:41 am

Fargo will likely lose Delta service to Salt Lake City. Out of 200 Delta cities, Fargo is in 200th place for revenue produced. It is not likely that Grand Forks would be able to sustain 100 seats to Denver on a daily basis.

What do you expect with a single daily CRJ?

I can't think of any other domestic markets with fewer seats.

azstar

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 am

Delta started flying to FAR with 2 daily RJ's, but has reduced to 1 due to lack of demand.

SFO777200LR

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Azstar (Reply 30):
Delta started flying to FAR with 2 daily RJ's, but has reduced to 1 due to lack of demand.

I thought I heard they brought back the second flight.
To take flight is like to make love; one must have ecstasy, passion, and a majestic partner.

ATCme

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:58 am

However infeasible it is at this time, I would love for United or Frontier to start service to GFK. I'm planning on going to UND starting next year and my home airport is DEN, so it would certainly be convenient for me to fly home. Of course, it also would make it too easy for my parents to fly out there...maybe it's not such a good idea after all... (Just Kidding!)
Anyway, I'm glad they're getting a new terminal too, I hadn't heard about that before this thread. The current one is nice, but small; it's perfect for the flight I was on in July of 2006, but any more growth and it'd be really tiny.
ATCme spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 28):
Instead of spending the money to begin service to a new city, and increase overhead, why not add seats to an existing market that services the market you are targeting? According to GFKAirport.com, there were just over 86,000 enplanements in 2006. If all of the enplanements were on NWA, based roughly on NW's schedule of nearly 138,000 seats a year, the load averages out to about 63%.

You are correct in that the load factor is below average. There is also no doubt that if UA or F9 comes in, it will affect NW. That is the point. NW controls the market, the price, the connection point. How many markets would NW stay in with a 63% load factor? There is obviously a pretty good yield in the market and that is what will interest UA or F9. Either way, currently, the consumer in GFK has absolutely no choice. DL is of no real value because of their code share agreement, they are close to one and the same. UA or F9 provides competition, real competition, and that makes everyone do a better job. Whether it is price or service. The assumption on congestion is that NW will stay the same. That is not necessarily what will happen. GFK needs to acknowledge that if UA or F9 comes in, there will likely be less mainline NW. Is that bad? Depends upon who you ask. If the pros of more competition outweigh the loss of mainline, then the investment is worthwhile. Right now, GFK loses a bunch of passengers to FAR so obviously they need to do something for the local economy.

As for the terminal, I'd take that bet because I've seen airlines operate in much less space than is in GFK. There are always ways including paying a premium to the incumbent carrier to ground handle them. I've seen authorities move their offices out of the terminal to make space. I've seen restaurants closed to make space. I've seen rental cars moved offsite to make space. I've seen trailers brought in to make space. Believe me, GFK will find a way. They are obligated to make it happen because the airlines are the golden goose. Without them, there isn't need for any of the other services.

[Edited 2007-09-14 05:11:19]

[Edited 2007-09-14 05:14:59]

airbusaddict

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey Grand Forks Aviation Enthusiasts! Talk about more of Fargo Airport, Grand Forks Airport, and Bismarck Airport in the Dakotas Aviation Thread!

E. River, W. River, Its All About Dakotas Aviation!
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011

burnsie28

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Stapleton (Reply 33):
That is the point. NW controls the market, the price, the connection point.

Actually to an extent on the price as NW agreed with GFK to keep fares a certain level that the airport authority thought would be resonable.

How many markets would NW stay in with a 63% load factor?

DLH, MOT, FAR, CPR, DVL, HLN, FCA to name a few.

I've seen authorities move their offices out of the terminal to make space.

Already there.

I've seen rental cars moved offsite to make space

Basically already there as the car rental place here is in the middle of a bunch of buildings no where near the area that a plane could be.

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 29):
What do you expect with a single daily CRJ?

not much seeing how it takes almost a full plane to break even.

The other one is seasonal.

As for UA in FAR, they ran a CRJ-700 from DEN to FAR and ive been hearing mixed results as to how its doing, and now its extended its end date, but it goes DEN-FAR-ORD, anyone know what the deal is with that at MAINLINE UNITED, someone that can actually fully contribute to whats going on. Also anyone else heard that supposidly microsoft has dropped its contract with NW?

stapleton

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 35):
DLH, MOT, FAR, CPR, DVL, HLN, FCA to name a few.

While the name NW is in CPR, DVL, HLN and FCA, (you might want to add GTF as well) these examples are not mainline like GFK and two of the markets, HLN and CPR only have one CRJ flight a day. Not a good comparison. MOT is fighting the same battle as GFK. Obviously the decision is up to UA and F9 to serve the market. All I am saying is that none of the arguments I've seen against it are deal breakers and that I would not be surprised to see someone take the risk. NW entered HLN (a market about the same size as GFK) even though DL, QX and GQ were already there. HLN had only two gates at the time and no ticket counter space. They made it happen. NW saw an oppertunity just like F9 or UA may see at GFK. F9 Chose SUX despite FSD and OMA being close by and they were a market 1/2 the size of GFK. They will also have a congested terminal if both NW and F9 depart simultaneously. They will make it happen. (By the way, F9 has added a 3rd flight to SUX in January so they must be seeing some good results on advance bookings.) We can discuss this all day long but in the end, all any of us monday morning quarterbacks can do is watch what actually happens. Like I have said before, I wish GFK luck.

phelpsie87

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:31 am

Actually, we lost our second SLC flight due to the Fall slowdown. Happened last year too. Now if it was lack of demand, why would they bring it back for a second year?? We just reduced the flights like every airline does. We loose a DEN flight in Nov, do you want to try and tell me that it is due to lack of demand...

Fargo will likely lose Delta service to Salt Lake City. Out of 200 Delta cities, Fargo is in 200th place for revenue produced

I would love to see this proof considering that everyday during the summer, we were booked, on average, AT LEAST 80/100 seats.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 35):
As for UA in FAR, they ran a CRJ-700 from DEN to FAR and ive been hearing mixed results as to how its doing, and now its extended its end date, but it goes DEN-FAR-ORD, anyone know what the deal is with that at MAINLINE UNITED, someone that can actually fully contribute to whats going on.

What do you want to know...cause mainline wouldn't be able to tell you anything on SkyWest's operation. Do you want to know why its going to ORD?? Probably because they want to test a premium cabin on the ORD route. DEN has proved itself, now its ORD's turn to see if they can support a CR7. With that said, a CR7 will give us a higher flow slot for when ORD goes on flow, which would be helpful, especially at the time its leaving.

burnsie28

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 37):
I would love to see this proof considering that everyday during the summer, we were booked, on average, AT LEAST 80/100 seats.

Full flights doesn't mean that it makes money. Especially on a CRJ-200.

iowaman

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Cslusarc (Reply 13):
Isn't the I-29 Corridor in ND, SD and MN one of the fastest growing (percentage wise) areas in the US?

Hahaha. It's actually the other way around or close to it.

DAYflyer

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:21 am

Wouldn't NW be shocked if UA started a 319/320 up there for service.
One Nation Under God

iowaman

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 40):
Wouldn't NW be shocked if UA started a 319/320 up there for service

Won't happen. I hate to sound like Mr. Negative, but as stated in previous threads, the markets up there are already overserved with legacy service. The only chance of getting any noticeable amount of new service IMO is F9 flying the Q's to FAR or some place like that.