CMHSRQ

Skybus's New Cities From CMH And New Focus City

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:44 am

Rumor, yes it's just a rumor, so flame me if you want but tomorrow I believe Skybus will announce Punta Gorda, FL, Chattanooga, TN. Wilmington, DE and Biloxi, MS from CMH

The next focus city is supposed to be GSO. I don't know any routes from there or when they will start.
The voice of moderation

MAH4546

RE: Skybus's New Cities From CMH And New Focus Cit

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Cmhsrq (Thread starter):

The next focus city is supposed to be GSO. I don't know any routes from there or when they will start.

They are planning FLL-GSO, that I know.

Rumor, yes it's just a rumor, so flame me if you want but tomorrow I believe Skybus will announce Punta Gorda, FL, Chattanooga, TN. Wilmington, DE and Biloxi, MS from CMH

I think you mean Ft. Myers/Tampa, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and New Orleans/Pensacola.

[Edited 2007-09-14 02:55:52]
a.

flyCMH

RE: Skybus's New Cities From CMH And New Focus City

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):

I think you mean Ft. Myers/Tampa, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and New Orleans/Pensacola.

LMAO!

Interesting rumor. I have heard 2 of the 4, Punta Gorda and Chattanooga. However, I was also told that Milwaukee was to be among the next Skybus cities as well. ILG and GPT do sound like much better candidates though.

And GSO as the next focus city, eh? I could definitely see it.

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting FlyCMH (Reply 2):
And GSO as the next focus city, eh? I could definitely see it

I would love, but know will never see, a direct link from Michigan-North Carolina (like) LAN
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

ptcflyer

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:50 am

You Mean:

Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis

Ft. Myers, Tampa, Miami, Sarasota Orlando

Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C.

Baton Rouge, Jackson, Montgomery, New Orleans, Pensacola, Panama City

What's a few hours in the rental car among friends?

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:05 am

I suppose I'd be just as likely to plan a last-minute vacation to GSO as I would to CMH.  Wink So that means I can start looking for n/s from BLI, SAN and OAK to South Carolina? Or will Ohio be our only choice?

I don't believe GSO exactly meets my expectations as the warm-weather, winter sun-and-fun destination to which people will flock from, well, from where I'm not sure (in order to help SX remain solvent during the long, cold winter.) No wait, maybe the people are supposed to flock FROM Greensboro to, well, I guess we'll have to see about that as well... I just don't know what the flock is going on here apparently.

I guess I just don't get this whole Skybus thing, do I?

bb

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting Ptcflyer (Reply 4):
Baton Rouge, Jackson, Montgomery, New Orleans, Pensacola, Panama City

Don't forget Mobile. I doubt SX would advertise it as Montgomery, but maybe.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 5):
So that means I can start looking for n/s from BLI, SAN and OAK to South Carolina

GSO's in North Carolina.  Smile

LX64A332

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 am

Skybus has also announced CMH to NAS service starting spring 2008
SWISS remains Swiss. With Lufthansa. :D

itsnotfinals

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:18 am

GSO has been in the rumor mill for a long while, glad to see this "getting out".
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

BP1

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:36 am

Will Skybus look at Williams Gateway / Phoenix-Mesa Airport?

Cheers,
BP1
"First To Fly The A-380" / 26 October 2007 SYD-SIN Inaugural

deltairlines

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:47 am

Oh please let GSO be the next focus city - would be quite convenient for me, and it'd be nice having some expanded low-fare service out of GSO.

BTW, I'll probably be booking that flight on GSO-FLL as soon as it comes out - $40 r/t to FLL sounds more than fine to me - especially for a spring break type trip.

National757

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:09 pm

If the whole GSO focus city rumor turns proves to be correct, it would be interesting to see how Delta and US Airways respond...if they respond at all.

MAH4546

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting National757 (Reply 11):
If the whole GSO focus city rumor turns proves to be correct, it would be interesting to see how Delta and US Airways respond...if they respond at all.

They won't. No need to waste resources on an airline whose entire business model will collapse upon itself within a year. It will be great for GSO while it lasts.
a.

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):

While I am skeptical of SX, it will be hilarious when they are entrenched in 2 years at some sizeable, if not particularly large markets, like CMH and GSO. Then it will be too late for the legacies to put them under without flying major loss-leader routes.

deltairlines

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:21 pm

It will be great for GSO while it lasts.

I won't complain if my last semester in college I'm shuttling back and forth weekly on GSO-FLL - there would be worse fates.

One of my friends is praying for GSO-BLI so he can go visit his girlfriend in SEA every other weekend - I booked him a ticket to SEA tonight for $250 - if SkyBus gets on GSO-BLI, then he'll be able to get 7 trips for the price of one.

mkirch72

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:30 pm

They won't. No need to waste resources on an airline whose entire business model will collapse upon itself within a year. It will be great for GSO while it lasts.

Yeah -- because Ryan Air and Easyjet (similar models - especially RyanAir) are just doing HORRIBLE. RyanAir doesn't fly to Barcelona, but they fly to Reus and Girona - both about an hour away from Barcelona -- and they seem to be doing pretty well. Oh - and their current fare between Reus and BCN is 1 pence and they seem to be doing pretty well.

National757

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 14):
$250 - if SkyBus gets on GSO-BLI, then he'll be able to get 7 trips for the price of one.

You have to be quick to get the $10 dollar fares since there are only ten for each flight. The whole Skybus $10 fare deal seems like a bait and switch deal to me. Lead the masses to their website for the $10 fares..and then only have higher fares available for purchase. Pretty slick, but will it work long term? There are about 150 Million reasons to think so  Smile

deltairlines

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting National757 (Reply 16):
You have to be quick to get the $10 dollar fares since there are only ten for each flight. The whole Skybus $10 fare deal seems like a bait and switch deal to me.

Eh, at least with this website, it will come up when the flight schedules are loaded, so I don't see it as a major problem in my case. Also, for me, I'm only concerned about traveling through May, so it's not a huge deal for me.

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 6):
GSO's in North Carolina.

Oooops. Thank you for catching that 'Critter; I guess I was thinking of the other "Green" city but didn't think quite enough.

Quoting Mkirch72 (Reply 15):
Yeah -- because Ryan Air and Easyjet (similar models - especially RyanAir) are just doing HORRIBLE.

Last time I checked, Ryan Air was in Europe and we are discussing here an entirely different country in which I don't think this business model will work -- different infrastructure, different social and economic attitudes, different travel philosophy, different geography, etc.

bb

MAH4546

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 13):
While I am skeptical of SX, it will be hilarious when they are entrenched in 2 years at some sizeable, if not particularly large markets, like CMH and GSO. Then it will be too late for the legacies to put them under without flying major loss-leader routes.

I think that airlines are going to wait off a year before any reactions. If Skybus is still flying at the end of next summer, you will start seeing some reactions.

Quoting Mkirch72 (Reply 15):
Yeah -- because Ryan Air and Easyjet (similar models - especially RyanAir) are just doing HORRIBLE.

We all know how Europe and the US are the same thing, and how American and European consumers have the same tastes. Oh, yeah, and we all know how excellent a train network America has that connects middle-of-nowhere airports to major city centres. Apples and oranges. Just because it works in Europe does not mean it will work in America. In particular, the infrastructure of Europe's public transit and rail networks makes flying into secondary airports significantly less of a hassle.

I think Skybus' business model in the US would work best if they reversed their focus. Instead of connecting cities like Columbus and Greensboro to underutilized runway's, they should connect airports like FLL, NAS, and BUR to underutilized runways. Cater to the leisure traffic, that doesn't fly that often, and they can simply follow in the successful footsteps of Allegiant. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it in a last ditch effort to save the airline. It might work if they make the switch on time.

[Edited 2007-09-14 05:50:36]
a.

birdbrainz

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 5):

I don't believe GSO exactly meets my expectations as the warm-weather, winter sun-and-fun destination to which people will flock from, well, from where I'm not sure (in order to help SX remain solvent during the long, cold winter.) No wait, maybe the people are supposed to flock FROM Greensboro to, well, I guess we'll have to see about that as well... I just don't know what the flock is going on here apparently.

I guess I just don't get this whole Skybus thing, do I?

Look at your name. Of course Greensboro will never be another San Diego, but you have a very CA attitude. I know. I'm originally from CA myself, and I too thought, why on earth would anyone spend the time to even know where GSO is, much less visit it? Well, go ahead, keep thinking that way.

Ever spent time in GSO? While not disagreeing with you about GSO in general, I think you'd soil yourself if you could see the number of large private jets (G-V, Falcon 50, etc) that fly into here. There's money here for sure. From exactly where I don't know. Geez, there's even separate Lamborghini and Ferrari dealers here.

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 13):

I agree. Hard to tell if GSO will work out. I can say that there are a ton of travelers paying relativity high fares for sub-par service to/from GSO.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
Oh, yeah, and we all know how excellent a train network America has

While axeing your clause about out of the way airports, doesn't Europe's high-speed train network actually discourage air travel? So therefore shouldn't the lack of one in America actually be an argument in favor of SX? If I can't get to SEA from CMH direct without going through a hub and making a connection, but SX can get me to BLI direct, isn't that a plus?

miaami

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Good luck to them! It looks like they are taking the slow approach to expansion and it may be working. They are filling seats out of CMH

crj200faguy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Birdbrainz (Reply 20):

Look at your name. Of course Greensboro will never be another San Diego, but you have a very CA attitude. I know. I'm originally from CA myself, and I too thought, why on earth would anyone spend the time to even know where GSO is, much less visit it? Well, go ahead, keep thinking that way.

Ever spent time in GSO? While not disagreeing with you about GSO in general, I think you'd soil yourself if you could see the number of large private jets (G-V, Falcon 50, etc) that fly into here. There's money here for sure. From exactly where I don't know. Geez, there's even separate Lamborghini and Ferrari dealers here.

You are right about GSO not becoming another San Diego. San Diego isn't land locked. As for not wanting to spend time in GSO, you are right. I've spent one too many 18 hour layovers counting down the seconds until I could leave.

There may be money in GSO, but how much of that money will be spent on Skybus tickets? If I had a ferrari, I surely wouldn't be caught dead on a Skybus plane.

As I read post after post bashing legacy I carriers I see the same phrase. Could you please define subpar service? I'd really like to know what it is. Are you just pissy that you have to fly on an RJ and have to eat before you board the airplane? Do you think GSO deserves 9X daily to LAX, IAD and JFK? I find it hard to believe that the majority of flights are operated with disgruntled employees who give you a growl and a half a cup of pop. It seems that every midsized city in America thinks they deserve better airservice than they get.

MAH4546

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 21):
doesn't Europe's high-speed train network actually discourage air travel?

On short distances, yes. Hence, for example, there are no airline flights between Paris-CDG and Brussels.

So therefore shouldn't the lack of one in America actually be an argument in favor of SX?

No, not with them serving out of the way airports.

If I can't get to SEA from CMH direct without going through a hub and making a connection, but SX can get me to BLI direct, isn't that a plus?

The two hours you save by not having to make a connection is lost in the two hours it takes to drive from BLI to Seattle.

The difference between out-of-the-way airports in Europe and those in the US, is that if you fly to some airport in the middle of nowhere in Europe, you can hop on a train or a direct bus route and get to the city centre in a fairly quick amount of time. That is not the case in the US. There are no trains to get you there quickly. If you are visiting, you are pretty much stuck renting a car. I know BLI has a bus that goes to downtown Seattle, but at $57 round-trip per person, you might be paying more for your bus ticket than your airline ticket. That stopover in Minneapolis doesn't sound so bad anymore, does it?

There is nothing wrong with flying to BLI. The airport is certainly a market in itself. Though when BLI itself has eight daily non-stop flights to Seattle, calling it Seattle is moronic. You aren't saving yourself time, nor in many cases money, by using BLI as an alternative to SEA.
a.

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:30 pm

I have actually been to visit friends in GSO and it's a nice place. And I'm sure they have plenty of rich people there with lots of private jets. (Of course they aren't going to be interested in the Bus.)

I just don't get the choice (if in fact it is) of GSO as a focus city. I was serious when I asked if pax on SX are supposed to want to fly TO Greensboro or FROM? There are plenty of nice cities in the country but many of SX's choices and decisions leave me stumped!

But the real issue to me remains the whole SX approach to this winter. Let me make sure I have this right. No connections are in the plans, right? No additional p-2-p routes between existing cities? Then what does SX plan on offering many of its cities; what do they expect stations like BLI, PSM, BDL, MCI to sell after the holidays are over? Flights to Columbus and maybe Greensboro? Or do they think the huge numbers of pax travelling from CMH and GSO to BLI, PSM, BDL and MCI will fill the flights?

Even if they do eventually start NAS, FPO, or CUN, along with existing sunny cities such as SAN, FLL, etc., there's no way to get there in February from BLI, PSM, etc. How in the heck are the northern cold-weather stations supposed to survive for 4 or 5 months? What good is Cancun to the system if you feed the route only from one city -- CMH?

I stand even firmer in my previous predictions...

bb

planesavvy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey. I just checked out the Skybus website and they have a "Suggest a New Skybus Destination" feature!!! That is brilliant! How many other airlines do that? Whether they listen to you or not, I don't know, but the fact that they are open to suggestions is great. I always like an airline that is prepared to take on a niche market and have a go! Good luck to Skybus!

gsoflyer

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Quote:

Where is the money from? The private jets all belong to places like Labcorp, NASCAR teams, NASCAR engine shops, Danaher, JP, Furniture Companies. What else is here? Hondajet, Honda Power Equipment, and so on.

You know, you guys don't have to like GSO, but you don't have to rip it down either. There are 1.5 million people in the area. The median household income is not much different from that of Raleigh-Durham. CLT, ROA and RDU are both within an hour drive. There are plenty of schools with out of state students. And despite what people say here, I went to one of them and people were flying out to various places every weekend.

Take it all for what it's worth.

Quote:
I just don't get the choice (if in fact it is) of GSO as a focus city. I was serious when I asked if pax on SX are supposed to want to fly TO Greensboro or FROM? There are plenty of nice cities in the country but many of SX's choices and decisions leave me stumped!

It is pretty simple. Why go into somewhere like RIC where subsidies are already going to Airtran and Jetblue? Why introduce another airport? Why serve a saturated airport like Kansas City. When prices were manageable, GSO had lots of O&D traffic with Eastwind and CA Lite, both failed because of management not because of a lack of passengers. This area lacks service. When you see an area like RDU or CLT with similar demographics and income levels (minus the work commuters) you have to wonder where this area went wrong. And it is prices. Not long ago, this was rated the 2nd most expensive airport to fly from as a passenger in the country. That could be turnign around as people are really embracing Allegiant and Skybus.

charlipr

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Planesavvy (Reply 26):
How many other airlines do that?

JetBlue has or had the same feature on there website.

DLCnxgptjax

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

If this is indeed true it will be good news for my home airport (GPT). That will be three new airlines this year. G4, Myrtle Beach Direct Air (or whatever it's called), and now Skybus.

I have to wonder if the area can support so much capacity though. I guess only time will tell. If all of this new service turns out to be true, I predict Myrtle Beach Air will be the first to go.

DAL767400ER

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Charlipr (Reply 28):
Quoting Planesavvy (Reply 26):
How many other airlines do that?

JetBlue has or had the same feature on there website.

As did (or does?) Air Tran. Certainly not a novel idea by Skybus.

AlexPorter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Okay, here's my educated opinion on what cities Skybus airports really serve (based on Census Bureau-defined Metropolitan Statistical Areas):
BLI/Bellingham serves Bellingham
OAK/Oakland serves San Francisco
BUR/Burbank serves Los Angeles
SAN/San Diego serves San Diego
MCI/Kansas City serves Kansas City
CMH/Columbus serves Columbus
FLL/Fort Lauderdale serves Miami
UST/Saint Augustine serves Jacksonville
GSO/Greensboro serves Greensboro
RIC/Richmond serves Richmond
CEF/Chicopee MA serves Springfield MA
PSM/Portsmouth serves Boston

Of note:
BLI is advertised as Seattle/Vancouver, although it really serves Bellingham, which is big enough to technically have a metro area. Probably serves Vancouver best, but not really Seattle.
UST is advertised as Jacksonville/Daytona Beach. UST is technically in the Jacksonville Metro Area, but not that of Daytona Beach.
CEF is advertised as Hartford, but not Springfield MA. In reality, it is in the Springfield Metro Area.
PSM is advertised as Boston, and is actually in the Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area as defined by the census bureau. Keep in mind that Southwest advertises MHT and PVD as "Boston area" and gets away with it, even though neither airport is in the Boston metro area. Skybus serves PSM, which IS in the Boston metro area and gets lots of flak for it.

My opinion: everyone who automatically hates Skybus should stop using PSM as an example of false advertising for a particular city and should instead complain about BLI and CEF. Keep in mind that the census bureau looks over tons of data to determine these metro areas, but at the same time ignores national borders, as may be the case with BLI.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):

BLI was a bad example. Let's go with CEF. No CMH-BDL as far as I know. So instead of making a connection, which with the exception of CO (CLE) would require you to fly out of your way, why not just use CEF? BLI is an extreme, CEF or SGJ are much more reasonable in regard to the cities they serve. SGJ is actually more convenient for those living south of the river in Jacksonville, especially during peak traffic times.

[Edited 2007-09-14 14:24:48]

flyCMH

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 32):
No CMH-BDL as far as I know.

Actually, Delta Connection does fly CMH-BDL twice daily with ERJ-145s. No nonstops to Jacksonville though.

miaami

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:09 pm

With all due respect you also said on USAviation.com that SX would never get off the ground about a year ago. I always like reading your posts and 99% of the time you are right on about topics. Time will tell but I wish SX the best.

MSYtristar

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 pm

I heard from a decent source that Skybus was going to be flying to New Orleans proper, as in, MSY. I guess we will see. GPT isn't really all that far away though so if someone really wanted to fly Skybus to CMH, it'd only be an hour drive from much of the metro area. It'll be nice to see them on the Gulf Coast, in any case.

itsnotfinals

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
they can simply follow in the successful footsteps of Allegiant.

So you finally admit there is a market for this type of airline, glad to see you are coming around.

No, not with them serving out of the way airports

Works for G4

calling it Seattle is moronic

Yet it's one of their best performaing routes and if you look into the winter you will see several days of 175 each way as the minimum fare.

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 36):
Works for G4

G4 does not serve out of the way airports. They fly to medium sized and smaller markets which normally see only RJ service. They do not advertise these cities as a nearby larger market. Further, their market is the vacation traveler only, and their goal is to simply bring those people to SFB/LAS/FLL/PIE/IWA. There is no intention on G4's part to connect cities to anything but major vacation destinations. They do not, for instance, fly RFD-PSM, nor do they market RFD as Chicago or PSM as Boston, because there is no purpose in it. They are not trying to get people to go from SFB-RFD, only RFD-SFB.

itsnotfinals

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 37):
G4 does not serve out of the way airports.

They also serve BFI, and RFD is marketed as Chicago.

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 37):
their market is the vacation traveler only, and their goal is to simply bring those people to SFB/LAS/FLL/PIE/IWA

I wnet to their website and before buying a ticket there was no warning that "You may not fly on Allegiant unless you are atraveling for vacation/holiday"

SX is reaching out to the same core customer base as G4. SX's goal is to provide P2P to underserved locations also, very similar model, only No LAS service on SX.

gregarious119

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:49 pm

I suggested a while back that they serve RDG instead of ILG, is ILG set up for commercial service already?

RDG may be a bit more out of the way, but they already have an air terminal set up for commercial service remaining from US Airways being in town.

WN has also run charters out of RDG, so runway capability for an A319 shouldn't be a problem...

CitrusCritter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 38):
They also serve BFI, and RFD is marketed as Chicago.

They serve BLI because there is a market for vacation travelers there. It met might original criteria as a medium/small market that normally sees only RJ service. They do not market it as Seattle. Nor, is RFD marketed as Chicago. It is called Chicago/Rockford because RFD airport itself attempts to market the area as Chicago. Either way, they do not advertise in SFB saying "Fly to Chicago on Allegiant."

I wnet to their website and before buying a ticket there was no warning that "You may not fly on Allegiant unless you are atraveling for vacation/holiday"

Looks like I got shut down.  Yeah sure Allegiant offers only 2-4 weekly flights from each small market to each focus city. The airline itself is essentially a break even operation without selling the vacation packages offered on the website. In fact, in between choosing the flight you want and paying for the ticket, they try to sell you a vacation package. The lack of frequency and the attempts to sell vacation packages are indicative of G4's market. Any business travel they get is insignificant and they probably don't want it -- as the person in question is probably not buying a vacation package.

There is no significant similarities between SX and G4's business models so far as the route structure and aims of the airline go. The only real similarity is in the supplemental revenue generation.

deltairlines

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Gregarious119 (Reply 39):
is ILG set up for commercial service already?

ILG should be ready to go - they had Delta Connection service to ATL up until a couple of months ago.

md90fan

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Wow, fabulous Greensboro, North Carolina! Go Skybus!  Yeah sure

What makes them want to do any serious operation here? I know all the decent, reputable cities weren't taking up, were they?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

EXAAUADL

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:26 pm

I think GYY or RFD is a likely add as well.....I think they should also go to SFB.

Hopefully the whole housing debacle wont hurt them..as people's mortgage rates jump thanks to expiring ARMs, people will have less money to spend on things like travel to leisure destinations.

birdbrainz

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting CRJ200FAGuy (Reply 23):
As I read post after post bashing legacy I carriers I see the same phrase. Could you please define subpar service? I'd really like to know what it is. Are you just pissy that you have to fly on an RJ and have to eat before you board the airplane?

No. I don't have a problem with RJ's. GSO-YOW is quite nice as I can stay on RJ's the whole way. Also, using Republic to PHL is nice (even though I hate PHL) because they use the same mainline terminal as US.

My complaint has to do with how the legacies interact with their regional operations. When things get delayed, it's extremely hard to make your connections from regional to mainline and back. I once had to run like hell at PHL between Terms B and F because the shuttle bus wasn't running. This is made only worse when the mainlines start shafting their regional partner with cancellations. The real issue is that every flight to/from GSO involves someone's delay-ridden east coast hub and a regional-mainline switch.

Quoting CRJ200FAGuy (Reply 23):
Do you think GSO deserves 9X daily to LAX, IAD and JFK? I find it hard to believe that the majority of flights are operated with disgruntled employees who give you a growl and a half a cup of pop.

No. I don't. 3x mainline to a hub would be nice, or an ERJ-170 using the mainline terminal would work. I still dream that UA will someday do GSO-DEN (RJ or otherwise), but that's not going to happen.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

KarlB737

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting LX64A332 (Reply 7):
Skybus has also announced CMH to NAS service starting spring 2008

You can now take a closer look at these two cities on the flight plan for Skybus. Here's the writeup straight out of the Columbus Dispatch:

Two Cities In Bahamas On Skybus Flight Plan

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content..._09-13-07_C10_1A7SRU3.html?sid=101

Rbgso

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:59 am

I am a resident of GSO, and while this sounds promising, I'm hardpressed to understand why they'd have a focus city 55 minutes from their hub. But I'm not in the biz......

ScottB

Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 31):
Keep in mind that the census bureau looks over tons of data to determine these metro areas

The metro areas as determined by the Census Bureau are also somewhat political, though, and the Census tends to take the easy way out by using counties as their base unit for building metro areas. Nashua, NH is much more of a Boston suburb than Portsmouth, NH, but Nashua is considered to be part of the Manchester, NH metro area. Worcester, MA has its own metro area even though many commute from Worcester County into Boston and though Worcester is typically part of the Boston television market.

SX is reaching out to the same core customer base as G4. SX's goal is to provide P2P to underserved locations also, very similar model, only No LAS service on SX.

No, Allegiant's goal is to sell vacation packages FROM less-served markets TO large vacation destinations. There is a reason why the parent company's full name is "Allegiant Travel Company" and NOT "Allegiant Airlines Company." Their business model is to have the airline run somewhere around break-even, but to sell profitable vacation packages to make the company profitable. They're basically a package tour company that owns its own airline and allows people to buy standalone tickets as well. Sure, they'll let a business passenger buy a ticket, but the product isn't marketed to them and they really aren't interested if said passenger isn't buying a hotel/car rental package.

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 36):
and if you look into the winter you will see several days of 175 each way as the minimum fare.

Uh sure, around Christmas and Thanksgiving. Whoopty doo, that's when practically flight on every airline is full. If I lived in Columbus or Seattle and wanted to travel to the other, sure, I'd subject myself to Skybus for a $10 fare or maybe even a $50 fare. Would I pay $100? Probably not, considering I could fly plenty of other airlines for less and actually end up at SEA, rather than a two hour bus ride away at BLI.

Quoting Gsoflyer (Reply 27):
You know, you guys don't have to like GSO, but you don't have to rip it down either. There are 1.5 million people in the area. The median household income is not much different from that of Raleigh-Durham. CLT, ROA and RDU are both within an hour drive.

It has nothing to do with criticism of GSO. I can see a market for low-fare point-to-point flying from GSO to Florida and the larger East Coast cities; that's essentially what East Wind was trying to do. I can even see the potential of seasonal non-stops to the West Coast. I don't see a big market to PSM, MCI, BLI, CEF, or CMH.

Continental Lite wasn't a failure specifically because of some unique failing of GSO, but GSO was too small of a market to support a large low-fare connecting hub. GSO might be able to steal some traffic from CLT, but for a comparable fare to Florida, you probably won't get many people coming over from RDU (except for the unprofitable $10 fares) given that WN doesn't have all the tacked-on costs that Skybus does.

USADreamliner

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:38 am

No need to waste resources on an airline whose entire business model will collapse upon itself within a year

And, that's the attitude I like!!
As Jerry Blank (stranger with candy) once said: "if you are going to reach for a star... reach for the closest one!

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:50 am

GSO is a smart move, IMO. They ought to be able to draw folks from a good chunk of Charlotte (heck, there are parts of metro Charlotte that are a shorter/easier drive to GSO), and if they can differentiate themselves from WN, either through fares or through routes (WN does not fly anywhere west of the Mississippi besides LAS and PHX, nor do they fly anywhere north of PHL), they might draw some traffic from the Triangle as well. That's about 3 million people. If they can stimulate a decent chunk of them to fly, they'll fill the planes. Whether they'll make money I have no idea.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more