BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Interesting Reading On Lufthoonsa!

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Hey Y'all, I found this article on Salon.com... Thought you might enjoy it. I certainly got a kick out of it. I like this guy's narrating style.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...ex.html?source=rss&aim=yahoo-salon

Here is an excerpt...

Sept. 14, 2007 | Most people know that Lufthansa is the airline of Germany. Fewer people know how to spell or pronounce it. I've seen and heard every conceivable variation, from the crudely phonetic ("Liftunza") to the inexplicable ("Lefthoonza"). It shouldn't be so difficult. Keep your vowels in order -- the "hansa" part has a short "a," and those of you who were watching MTV in 1983 can think of "Ninety-Nine Luft Balloons," and remember that the "t" and the "h" form separate sounds, unlike the diphthong of "other" or "weather." Stress the first syllable slightly, and there it is, "LUFT-hansa." You're practically speaking German.
Puhdiddle

NG1Fan

RE: Interesting Reading On Lufthoonsa!

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Try also 'Fluchthansa', literally fleeing from Hansa. Rhymes with Lufthansa. Has this, for Anglo speakers, 'ch' combination, sounding like clearing one's throat. Our Dutch friends will also understand.

A nickname they earned, probably for their service. Underservedly, in my opinion, having flown them short and longhaul. A little spartan on the IFE in Y-Class, but otherwise no gripes.

NG1Fan

aloges

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:53 pm

Nice find, thanks for posting it!  Silly

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 1):
Our Dutch friends will also understand.

rotfl 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

DeltaAVL

Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Thread starter):
Hey Y'all, I found this article on Salon.com... Thought you might enjoy it. I certainly got a kick out of it. I like this guy's narrating style.

Patrick Smith is actually a member here. I've always enjoyed his writing as well. If you like his stuff, I recommend his book, Ask The Pilot.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

RJNUT

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 pm

I have heard "Love, Santa"