jetstream3399

ATA B737-800 Wet Lease

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 am

I heard from someone at ATA that they are wet leasing one of their B737-800's beginning in January...does anyone what carrier this aircraft will be flying for?

flynavy

RE: ATA B737-800 Wet Lease

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 am

Aloha, perhaps? It was reported in another thread that they would be aquiring one on a 5-month lease term.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

dalb777

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 1):
Aloha, perhaps? It was reported in another thread that they would be aquiring one on a 5-month lease term.

That thread says Aloah's 738s will be acquired from TransAvia of Holland.
Aloha To Lease 737-800 For 5 Months (by Aloha73G Sep 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

wedgetail737

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting JetStream3399 (Thread starter):
I heard from someone at ATA that they are wet leasing one of their B737-800's beginning in January...does anyone what carrier this aircraft will be flying for?

Maybe they'll wet-lease their 73H to Xtra Airways or Sun Country.

tomascubero

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:30 am

I know they have right now (or just a couple of weeks ago) leased N315TZ to Copa for the Miami flights only, not sure if its been returned but this was done due to the lack of pilots.

Regards,
Tomas.

N908AW

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 4):
I know they have right now (or just a couple of weeks ago) leased N315TZ to Copa for the Miami flights only, not sure if its been returned but this was done due to the lack of pilots.

Yes, that is true. This might be an extension of that, who knows.

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 3):
Maybe they'll wet-lease their 73H to Xtra Airways or Sun Country.

Dunno about Xtra, but to my knowledge SY hasn't needed to wet lease anything in quite a number of years. They usually nab 5-6 738s from Transavia, but I'm pretty sure those have been just dry-leased.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

LASoctoberB6

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:51 pm

does anyone know what N # it will be under?
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

wjcandee

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:09 pm

"Hybrid operation"? NAO?

B757capt

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Are we to assume that ATA is making more money on leasing their a/c to others vs the money they make actually flying them? If thats the case, I'd be worried on the ATA side.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

wjcandee

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting B757capt (Reply 9):
Are we to assume that ATA is making more money on leasing their a/c to others vs the money they make actually flying them? If thats the case, I'd be worried on the ATA side.

I'm not sure that that's where they're going. ATA has always had a substantial military charter component, and they used to have a very substantial civilian track charter component when tour and cruise operators were more interested in selling that kind of package. (Now, there is something of a shift towards filling discounted seats on scheduled flights rather than chartering a whole aircraft; while the business still exists, it's smaller.) The 738s are suited to a solid track charter program, but less suited to ad hoc charter because of their high capital cost. Running them in scheduled service, particularly to Hawaii, appears to be working well for ATA -- so well, in fact, that they backed off the lower-capital-cost and smaller-size 733 mini-fleet that they were going to develop, when their strategic plans changed a bit. The 738 fleet is much smaller than it was at its peak; many were let go in bankruptcy, as were several 752s and 753s. ATA does appear to have thought that its fleet was right-sized in those aircraft categories. If they have a solid track-charter or solid wet lease for one or two 738s at the margin that aren't being well-utilized, it's probably a good move until they find something else profitable to do with one or two birds. I, for one, would be happy to hear that they're looking at all opportunities to best use all of their assets.

Also, given that they are now a subsidiary of the company that owns World and North American, I could see North American having a use for a 738 for one of the customers to whom it used to wet-lease a 752.

However, I think it more likely that the "hybrid" operation would be either (1) similar to the old Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays arrangement where part of the plane was purchased by Pleasant as a charter and the remaining seats sold by ATA as sked service; or (2) the long-awaited Southwest arrangement where Southwest uses another carrier to stick its toe into international markets. (Why the latter would be any different than the present code-share to Hawaii, I don't know, but that may explain the wink.) I'll be interested to see what it turns out to be.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos