RussianJet
Topic Author

Aboard A Plane Behind The One That Crashed

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:50 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6997381.stm
I know the crash is already being discussed, but what exactly do they mean by this?

"A French tourist aboard a plane behind the one that crashed told AFP news agency she saw the accident happen.

"When the plane landed it caught fire," she said. "We could see the fire coming out of it." "

How exactly did she see what she says she saw? Was she on approach behind the unlucky MD-82, or did they actually land right after it crashed?

Doesn't make much sense to me. Also, by the by, what is "an aviation official"?
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

EI321

RE: Aboard A Plane Behind The One That Crashed

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:57 am

Her plane might have been turning towards the runway, and had not lined up yet.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):

Maybe, but does anyone with a knowledge of the approach there know if such an account is plausible?

RussianJet
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:04 am

And I should add, in the stated weather conditions?

Rivet42

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:19 am

... I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. More than likely, if this passenger's plane landed after the One-Two-Go one, then she may have observed the aftermath of the crash, rather than the actual crash itself. It's easy for people to be less than precise with their accounts in the stressful moments after such an incident, and for the attending press to misquote everyone in sight (not necessairly in order to 'get a good story', but more likely because at that time the details are far from clear).

Maybe her plane was indeed in an approach circuit, and the fire would have been pretty obvious from the air, even in heavy rain. Why doubt her account? What difference does it make anyway?

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
Also, by the by, what is "an aviation official"?

Er, I'm just guessing here, but possibly someone who works in an 'official' (i.e. governmental) capacity, in the (Thai) 'aviation' industry...??  duck 

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

JohnKrist
Crew

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:07 pm

You've never been in a crosswind landing? I have seen the whole length of the runway on numerous crosswind approaches!
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

m404

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:46 pm

If she was, as the story states, behind the MD-82 then I'm to assume it was also in the landing pattern and not waiting for takeoff. Holding for T/O certainly would have given a runway view. In the landing pattern she could have had several possible sights like a right angle on base leg and straight by the sight on what certainly would have been an aborted landing.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

yvrtoyyz

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:01 pm

However, the airport issued a station notam indicating that the 09/27 at VTSP was "closed due to disabled aircraft." Therefore, any enroute aircraft would have been forced to go to their alternate and any departing aircraft would have been impacted by the closure.

[Edited 2007-09-17 07:01:59]

RussianJet
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 4):
but possibly someone who works in an 'official' (i.e. governmental) capacity, in the (Thai) 'aviation' industry...?

Gee, hadn't thought of that. Yeah sure I think you know what I meant there - it's a pretty vague thing to call someone. In no way does it tell us how this guy is qualified to speak about the crash.

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 5):
You've never been in a crosswind landing? I have seen the whole length of the runway on numerous crosswind approaches!

Alas, no I haven't! Never copped it properly with strong crosswinds before. Am interested to feel what it would be like.

I know it's possible to see a runway on approach etc. but was really wondering at what stage her plane was at (following, holding etc.) and how much she realistically would have been able to see.

SeeTheWorld

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Maybe it's lost in translation, and her plane landed prior to the one that crashed, i.e. the plane that crashed was behind her plane.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 8):
Maybe it's lost in translation, and her plane landed prior to the one that crashed, i.e. the plane that crashed was behind her plane.

Exactly, this is precisely the kind of thing I'm wondering.

beechnut

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 2):
Maybe, but does anyone with a knowledge of the approach there know if such an account is plausible?

I would assume she was sitting on the right side of the plane and may have seen the immediate aftermath in the go-around, if the spacing between the two aircraft was quite close.

Beech

woodentom

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:04 pm

i flew into phuket last year and you could see the airport from quite a distance. We flew in from bangkok so came in from the north over the Phang Nga marine park to the NE of phuket and from the right hand side of the plane, you could see where the airport was.

it was very good weather though

i would imagine a fireball could be seen from quite a way but i don't think she would have actually seen the plane land.

rfields5421

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting BeechNut (Reply 11):
I would assume she was sitting on the right side of the plane and may have seen the immediate aftermath in the go-around,

That was my assumption also - and her aircraft would have either returned to origin, or landed at an alternate if it was in the air since the runway appears to be fouled in the photos.

However, she could very well have been in an aircraft planning to takeoff after the landing which became a crash - because to many people an aircraft at the head of the runway would be "behind" a just landed aircraft.

Exciting quote - no context.

OHLHD

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):

I am guessing here right now but: If the weather was really bad I assume the pilot of the MD-82 had a low visibility furthermore if the aircraft in which this woman was sitting had not lined up yet I assume they were away quite some distance ( up to a few miles). So how could she see it then? The only possibility what I think could be that they were in approach and made a go-around with a quick left or right turn and then she saw it.

Maybe she is just a media-whore.  Smile

copter808

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 4):
More than likely, if this passenger's plane landed after the One-Two-Go one, then she may have observed the aftermath of the crash

I doubt she either landed or departed after the crash, she might have flown by though.

Often a commercial airport is closed when the fire equipment is not available, and the equipment would not have been available if needed since it was dealing with the crash. Also, once the crash happened, the airport became a "crash scene" and evidence could be disturbed by additional traffic.

But, this IS Thailand...

PRAirbus

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:59 pm

Another old lesson learned...DO NOT MESS WITH NATURE!!! Why do they attempt to land under poor conditions??? Poor judgement call what a pity...

ssflyboy25

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 am

I didn't look into this further (on my way to work to go flying Big grin) but perhaps there are parallel approaches at this airport... that might give her and anyone on that side of the plane a good view.... just a thought.

davidkunzVIE

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:28 am

Parallel approaches at an airport with one (1) runway would be kinda interesting.  Wink
DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

brilondon

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
"When the plane landed it caught fire," she said. "We could see the fire coming out of it." "

I'm guessing that they did not actually see the airplane crash but they saw it a few minutes after the incident and I'm sure there was still fire coming out of the airplane.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

ohsopc

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:13 am

from my understanding there is one plane on hold at the end of the runway for takeoff. maybe her seat was facing the runway and therefore would have witness the aircraft crash.

copter808

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting Ssflyboy25 (Reply 17):
but perhaps there are parallel approaches at this airport...

Nope, only parallel approach there would be to the taxiway! The east end of the runway passes between two hills, so you wouldn't want to get too far away from the runway centerline!