XJetflyer

Lone Star Overnight Aircraft?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:09 am

In Texas we have a a company called Lone Star Overnight. They do Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mexico and a little of New Mexico for overnight shipping. I looked at their website and could find nothing. They do say they do air cargo, but I can not find their aircraft.

I have bet with someone who is telling me they own two cargo jets. I think they use a contractor being as small as they are. Does anyone know? Any help finding their aircraft?

SkyyMaster

RE: Lone Star Overnight Aircraft?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Their website doesn't say much other than it does not use the traditional hub and spoke system. Instead packages are sorted onsite before shipped. That would sound as if they would need more than 2 aircraft. Given the list of cities it says they serve, they probably use small a/c. However unless I overlooked something, I do not see where they actually mention anything about flying at all. Could this not just be a ground freight company? Given the limited service area, their destinations could be reached overnight via truck.

The only airline I ever remember using the Lone Star name died back in the 90's.

aa61hvy

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 1):
Their website doesn't say much other than it does not use the traditional hub and spoke system. Instead packages are sorted onsite before shipped. That would sound as if they would need more than 2 aircraft. Given the list of cities it says they serve, they probably use small a/c. However unless I overlooked something, I do not see where they actually mention anything about flying at all. Could this not just be a ground freight company? Given the limited service area, their destinations could be reached overnight via truck.

There is a chance they may buy space on either FedEx or UPS' planes. Often times smaller couriers and freight forwarders will buy space on the big boys and use it that way....
Go big or go home

rfields5421

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Texas has several small air freight companies which could work with Lone Star Overnight.

Cherry Air and Ameristar Jet Charter out of KADS with Lear 24/25 and Falcon 20 aircraft.
Martinaire serves several airports with C208 aircraft
Paragon Air Express - C208
Baron Aviation Services is mainly C208's for FDX
Ameriflight has several routes in Texas some with SW4 aircraft based in Austin
Flight Line Inc flies Mitsubishi turboprop aircraft on several routes
Aero Charter and Transport (ABQ) operates several C401/402 aircraft flights in Texas
There is at least one cargo airline flying C310 aircraft in Texas today
There are several small aircraft (Be36, BD55, C401) being operated by GTA Air out of KLNC/ Lancaster

And I'm sure I've missed several others.

From the LSO website the read I get is they combine packages into bulk shipments which can be delivered at lower rates than individual shipments.

Though to be honest - I see nothing on their site which says the overnight packages will go via Air and not via Ground.

Roadway Express used to offer very similar ground overnight services in Texas.

Today if you ship something UPS or FDX from Dallas to Houston - it's usually going ground, not air.

XJetflyer

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:49 am

Thanks for the help guys... I know there are some articles how Fed Ex and UPS are already trying to push them out of the game. Fed Ex says this company reminds them of their self early on..

I will have to dig some more.