leamside

Philippine Thread # 4 - Will 5J Fly To The US?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:44 pm

With Philippine Thread number 3 more than three months old and about 150 replies long I think it is time to move on to a fourth thread

To start:
What is your take on Cebu Pacific's plan to fly within 18 months to SFO &/or LAX, & onward to either ORD or IAH as per John Gokongwei in an ABS-CBN news article http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=92726 ?

When LCC Oasis Hong Kong Airways commenced HK-London service last year, Doug McVitie, a France-based aviation consultant said, "There is no long haul model for low fares airlines. It just doesn't work". A year later Oasis is still alive and flies to Vancouver with plans to fly Oakland to serve the San Francisco area.

To facilitate navigation of previous Philippine discussion click on:
Thread 1: Mabuhay! Philippine Aviation Thread #1 (by N751PR Mar 5 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Thread 2: RE: Exploited Skies: Philippine Aviation, Part 2 (by AirlineAddict May 30 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Thread 3: Philippine Thread # 3. PAL 777 Orders Now At 6! (by Leamside Jun 6 2007 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2007-09-17 07:45:58]

leamside

RE: Philippine Thread # 4 - Will 5J Fly To The US?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Late breaking news is that PAL is coming out of receivership next month and ahead of it's year-end target. The balance of its debt will be paid in the next 7 years using internally generated funds.

N77014

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:03 pm

So what would 5J offer that is currently not available in the west coast USA-MNL market?

More capacity...Is USA-MNL truly underserved?

More frequency...Would they be able to serve the market daily? Or enough to generate a following?

Lower fares...Do they have the ability to dramatically lower fares relative to the other players?

Level of service...Can they offer a product differentiated from the other players either on a better level of service, or are customers willing to expect less for a lower fare?

Customer awerness...Is 5J strictly a Filipino oriented carrier, or would americans who travel to MNL learn to travel it as well?
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

KL808

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Ive read somewhere that 5J will stick to its core business, ie flying within ASIA only.

So, I dont think we should hold our breath for 5J in LAX or SFO.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

leamside

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting KL808 (Reply 3):
Ive read somewhere that 5J will stick to its core business, ie flying within ASIA only.

Precisely what I though until yesterday's ABS-CBN & Manila Standard articles got published:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=92726 (paragraph 6) &
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business5_sept17_2007

In the provincial scene, SEAir has inaugurated Cebu-Pagadian flights using the Dornier 328!

LAXPAX

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 2):
So what would 5J offer that is currently not available in the west coast USA-MNL market?

Well in terms of flying LAX-MNL direct, what is currently not available is competition: it's PAL or nothing. My wife does not like having to connect in Taipei or elsewhere when she visits her family in Manila, so that leaves the other carriers out.

As long as 5J could provide a comparable level of service and a competitive fare, we would definitely consider it.
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

jasp25

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:11 am

If 5J starts flying to the US, I don't think they can compete with PR if they fly to SFO or LAX or LAS/YVR. I think they will be better off mounting flights to cities which are not currently served by Philippine Airlines. i.e, ORD, JFK, IAH, SEA, SAN.

Really tho, I don't see 5J flying across the Pacific in less than 5 years from now.

-Jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

jasp25

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 6):
If 5J starts flying to the US, I don't think they can compete with PR if they fly to SFO or LAX or LAS/YVR. I think they will be better off mounting flights to cities which are not currently served by Philippine Airlines. i.e, ORD, JFK, IAH, SEA, SAN.

The reason why I said it because load wise, where PR flies, SFO/LAX/LAS, load factor is not always good - for example, even their least expensive fares for this month of September are widely available - except for December travel. However, it is said that load factor is not a single determinant of profit for PR on this route. Price wise, to fly to MNL from SFO or LAX, Philippine Airline's price is most often times higher than other carriers, which is probably one reason why most Filipinos tend to fly other carriers. Experience wise, out of all my clients that I book to the Philippines, only 30% flies with PAL, the rest divided among other carriers. However, most of my business clients to the Philippines take PR.

I am not sure if this is accurate but I often see PR's business class seats booked up tho. -- which shows that business travelers would rather fly straight to Manila than make connections somewhere else.

If 5J is to get into the Northern American market, the way I look at it, and if they want to cater to the Filipino community, unless their fares are at least $200 cheaper, people will still prefer PAL over them. Flying into locations that PR doesn't currently serve is also a good idea for 5J.

-Jasp

Norcal773

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 6):

I bet you that if 5J announces MNL-SAN tomorrow, PAL would be right behind them so it wouldn't make a difference.

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 7):
Philippine Airline's price is most often times higher than other carriers, which is probably one reason why most Filipinos tend to fly other carriers

huuh?? No it's not...

However, most of my business clients to the Philippines take PR.

This is because they are the cheapest and most companies will book the cheapest business class ticket. All my co-workers fly PAL because when they call our corporate travel department, PAL ALWAYS has the lowest fares. Personally, I've flown SFO-MNL 6 times in the last year and have managed to stay away from th 20 degrees reclining business lass seats compared to 167 degrees on OZ or KE for a few hundred dollars more.

I am not sure if this is accurate but I often see PR's business class seats booked up tho. -- which shows that business travelers would rather fly straight to Manila than make connections somewhere else.

Again, because they are the cheapest. It doesn't save you that much time between flying direct on PAL from the Left coast as compared to making a two-hour layover in NRT HKG on ICN.

Flying into locations that PR doesn't currently serve is also a good idea for 5J.

See above, won't make a difference because PAL and maybe others will follow suit.
If you're going through hell, keep going

jasp25

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:09 am

NorCal, based on my experience in selling seats to the Philippines, PAL is not always the least expensive. i.e, for this month, an airline is selling seats to Manila for less than $600.00 plus tax, and PR's least expensive price for the same period is $650+ plus tax. Except on peak season, with a connecting flight from small towns in California, you can even have prices as low as $800 tax inclusive to Manila on other carriers where at the same time, PR's flight is $950+ and that is only flying out of LAX or SFO.

I am not about to argue here, but based on my experience, PAL is not always the least expensive.

-Jasp

LurveBus

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm

While transpacs for 5J would be cool, can they really expand that quickly? They've got a lot of ATRs coming in in the next few years, not to mention that 20 A320s are arriving within the same timeframe. Cebu Pacific is going to double its size. Will they be able to commence longhaul services that quickly given that there is a pilot shortage in the Philippines? It also doesn't help that all three terminals in MNL (T1, T2, Manila Domestic) are operating at full capacity until T3 opens. That, and the MIAA is considering shifting to a slot system like LHR.

Plus, by 2008, PR will be flying transpac with a new longhaul product. Not as new as I'd like, as CX and SQ are showing off kickass J products while PR is going for plain old recaro, but PR will probably be flying double-daily to LAX/SFO by 2011. For 5J to compete with that would be difficult.

On a different note, I'd like to see what the new air bilateral with New Zealand is like. The media says that they discussed air rights for CRK, and PR is saying that it's considering flying to AKL. I wonder if the service would really materialize.

Oh, and congratulation to PR for exiting receivership. Now, they're free to make megalomaniac orders again Big grin

jasp25

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Talking about route expansions in Phlippine aviation, with the opening of ILO International airport, do you think we are going to see an international flight flying in and out of ILO soon?? I am thinkinig perhaps 3x/weekly to HKG to start with. What do you all think?

-Jasp

leamside

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 11):
Talking about route expansions in Phlippine aviation

Minutes ago the Philippine Information Agency quoted former PAL president Zapanta as saying that SEAir's "future focus is to develop tourism and international routes out of Zamboanga and Davao". Also, that, "As the only local commercial airline offering inter-Mindanao flights, we at SEAIR feel that we have been a factor in the growth of commerce in the region."

In his book "100 Years of Philippine Aviation, 1909-2009: A Focus on Airline Management" Zapanta briefly mentions Mindanao Express, the only carrier with a focus on Mindanao & EAGA, and how it most likely would have become a success had it not been for the contagion that hit Asia in the late 90s.

Seven years after Mindanao Express' demise, perhaps SEAir can be a success in Mindanao.

Here's a photo of Mindanao Express' Beech 1900C by Carlos M. Doria : http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=200116

Sean-SAN-

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Maybe 5J should worry about their current operations. Tons of their pilots are leaving to fly for higher paying Asian airlines, and their current flights are always chronically late. The agent said she couldn't remember when MNL-CGK was ever less than a few hours late.

LurveBus

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:00 pm

Speaking of SEair, whatever happened to their partnership with Tiger Airways? Has it gone anywhere at all?

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 13):
current flights are always chronically late. The agent said she couldn't remember when MNL-CGK was ever less than a few hours late.

That would be really bad, considering that the ASEAN flights leave in the middle of the night when most domestic flying is already done.

leamside

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 13):
their current flights are always chronically late

Yet, Cebu Pacific's website still shows that Cebu Pacific time—is the new Filipino time.

"Challenging outdated concept of "Filipino Time" (that is, perpetually late), Cebu Pacific launched a new ad campaign . . . that says: "on time—Cebu Pacific time—is the new Filipino time." We understand that the new Pinoy traveler can no longer afford to be late. Cebu Pacific passengers can rest easy knowing they'll arrive at their destinations on time in order to savor each second of a precious moment." Source: http://www.cebupacificair.com/aboutus/ads/index.html

KL808

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:17 pm

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business5_sept17_2007

Seems like Lance was in Toulouse to check out A340's for planned routes to the US, seems like he wants to mirror Air Asia X.

I guess this will probably happen sooner or later.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

jasp25

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:44 am

A single-class A340 with 300+ pax flying across the Pacific for 13hrs.... Makes me wonder then, what is the cabin service of other LCC's that fly longhaul? do they serve free meals, free beverages too?? or are they for purchase?

-Jasp

leamside

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 17):
flying across the Pacific for 13hrs

Make that 14 hours on the 340 and as allowance for those heavy balikbayan boxes which travel eastbound as well  Wink I wonder if 5J will fly Cebu-Oakland or Manila-Oakland rather than Manila-SFO. Maybe seasonal at first? Just a thought. Do you travel agents have stats re traveller origins from the islands?

Back in the PI, Asian Spirit is poised to acquire two MD-83s in two to three months and one more BAE-146 before November. http://www.manilatimes.net/national/.../yehey/business/20070913bus12.html Anyone with ideas where these planes are coming from?

Thanks.

jasp25

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 am

I do not have those data RE: Stats on travelers from PI. I am pretty sure tho that Filipino OFWs are quite evenly distributed around the Philippines.

-Jasp

Devilfish

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting KL808 (Reply 16):
Seems like Lance was in Toulouse to check out A340's for planned routes to the US,

Could those be the two cancelled birds indicated in the 09/11/07 Airbus orders update?.....
2007 Orders: Part 2 (by Hamlet69 Jun 17 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting Azhobo (Reply 137):
Large twin: B777=101, A340= -2

From the Manila Standard link.....

Quote:
"Not only that, a confident John Gokongwei Jr. thinks Cebu Pacific is ready to go long-haul like fellow low-cost carrier Air Asia of Malaysia, with the taipan aiming to cross the Pacific and launch non-stop flights to the United States West Coast, and possibly onwards to Houston and Chicago, by mid-2009.

But the taipan is quick to admit that he has yet to fully convince his son and Cebu Pacific president, Lance, about the long-haul dream especially how the attendant cost-escalations would impact on the financial model of a single-class, short-haul, quick turn-around budget airline."

5J would be well-served delving more deeply into the effects of rapid expansion and the resulting highly leveraged situations at the different Asian LCCs.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

EDICHC

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting LurveBus (Reply 10):
and PR is saying that it's considering flying to AKL. I wonder if the service would really materialize.

Certainly hope so. As a freq traveller to the Phils I have eagerly awaited this. Given the amount of potentially lucrative business class revenue from the large number of senior healthcare professionals arriving in NZ every month, I would expect any carrier to operate this to be pleasantly surprised.

If indeed this did come to pass, any idea what would type they would operate AKL-MNL?
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

airlineaddict

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 8):

Again, because they are the cheapest. It doesn't save you that much time between flying direct on PAL from the Left coast as compared to making a two-hour layover in NRT HKG on ICN.

I would have to disagree regarding time savings on the MNL - SFO/LAX leg. PR is roughly 12 hours while the shortest via NRT/HKG/ICN is 15.5 hours. Saving 3 hours is a lot... that's if PR is on time, of course.  Wink

Regarding 5J to the US, I am surprised to see Houston on Mr. Gokongwei's radar screen. China Airlines is able to succeed here due to connections to Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam. Maybe 5J will time US flights to connect will with their Asian network.

yvr1968

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:33 pm

I wonder how long it will be until PR increases its YVR/LAS flights to daily.. seem to always be asking the Canadian government for an extension of their authority to operate 5 flights per week (as they are technically allowed only 4). They must be doing ok.

I think MNL would be on AC's horizon when they start to receive their 787s in 2010.

PR is increasing its MEL flights as well. Good to see as this is part of MEL's rebuilding of many international flights lost over the last few years.

KL808

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 21):
If indeed this did come to pass, any idea what would type they would operate AKL-MNL?

Expect either A330's or A340's. This is one destination that has me scratching my head for years. What took so long?

Its such a drag to get to the Philippines from NZ. Either through Australia or KUL, SIN or BKK. A direct flight will surely be great, and cut travel times between the 2 cities.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 20):
Could those be the two cancelled birds indicated in the 09/11/07 Airbus orders update?.....

The only way to do this is with A346's. But we'll just have to wait and see.

2 frames though wont give 5J a decent schedule.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

jasp25

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:15 am

Bacolod to South Korea direct flights may soon start...

Here's part of the article:
Quoting Tourism Secretary Ace Durano, Bacolod Rep. Monico Puentevella said Philippine Airlines (PAL) direct flights from South Korea to Bacolod via the Bacolod-Silay Airport are expected to start before the year ends. Puentevella is the chair of the House Committee on Transportation.

details at http://news.balita.ph/html/article.php/20070917192248193
-Jasp

[Edited 2007-09-21 22:25:33]

QF175

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Not sure whether the following is true or not..

But according to some Queensland Tourism bodies, Philippine Airlines has shown strong interest in launching 2x per weekly BNE/SYD-MNL triangulated services with A330-300s after the cessation of the extra Summer flights to SYD/MEL. So we'd see 3x weekly MEL/SYD-MNL and 2x weekly BNE/SYD-MNL 333 services.

As I've said the above may or may not be true, but it's the latest rumour circulating around here...

Majority of MNL bound pax from BNE fly with SQ or the once weekly Qantas BNE-MNL service. Passenger numbers between BNE and MNL (and vv) aren't overly high (take JUN07 as an example, BNE/MNL v/v = 1,165, MEL/MNL v/v = 2,491, SYD/MNL v/v = 9,429). I suppose coupled with SYD flights, a BNE service may do alright.

Probably won't happen though..

Again, I'm no expert in the field and am just using data I have come across.

I'm also watching with interest, possible Auckland to Manila services  Smile I certainly hope that they eventuate.

Regards

ZK-NBT

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 21):

It would be a 343 if it was MNL-AKL non stop.

Quoting KL808 (Reply 24):
Expect either A330's or A340's. This is one destination that has me scratching my head for years. What took so long?

Its such a drag to get to the Philippines from NZ. Either through Australia or KUL, SIN or BKK. A direct flight will surely be great, and cut travel times between the 2 cities.

As a spotter I'd love to see PR in AKL but I am a little skeptical of how large the market really is and how sustainable year round.

Quoting QF175 (Reply 26):
But according to some Queensland Tourism bodies, Philippine Airlines has shown strong interest in launching 2x per weekly BNE/SYD-MNL triangulated services with A330-300s after the cessation of the extra Summer flights to SYD/MEL. So we'd see 3x weekly MEL/SYD-MNL and 2x weekly BNE/SYD-MNL 333 services.

I've been thinking along the lines of maybe MNL-BNE-AKL with a 333, yes there is alot of competition BNE-AKL and 2 or 3 weekly isn't ideal but maybe its a starting point.

SANFan

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 23):
I wonder how long it will be until PR increases its YVR/LAS flights to daily.. seem to always be asking the Canadian government for an extension of their authority to operate 5 flights per week (as they are technically allowed only 4).

The thinking (rumor) last year and earlier this year was that PR was planning on doing MNL-YVR-LAS 4 days a week and MNL-YVR-SAN 2 or 3 days a week (or 3 and 2, or some such split) as a quick and "easy" way of getting started at Lindbergh Field. Of course the whole 5th Freedom thing turned out to be a problem so now SAN is waiting 2 years or so for new a/c to allow different routing options between MNL and SAN. Oh well...

bb

EDICHC

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 27):
As a spotter I'd love to see PR in AKL but I am a little skeptical of how large the market really is and how sustainable year round.

I would guess you have been fortunate enough then to enjoy relatively good health then...If you were unfortunate enough to have been hospitalised just about anywhere in NZ in the past year, you would have seen the large number of healthcare professionals recruited by DHB's from the Philippines. This is a market that will continue to grow as recruitment in this field in particular continues to grow.

I can also see a steady increase in demand for Business Class travel on such a route in the medium to long term. As newly relocating junior medics progress up the career ladder to Registrar and Consultant level, travel in economy will not be desirable.

I can also predict that within, perhaps 10 years, not only AKL-MNL being viable; but also a CHC-MNL as well.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

LurveBus

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm

PR's winter schedule is out...

http://www.philippineairlines.com/fi...er_Summer_Timetable_21Sept2007.pdf

and are they leasing extra planes? Coz their increases are a bit overkill.

LAX - from 9x weekly to 12x weekly (daily B744 + 5 weekly A343)
SFO - from daily to 10x weekly (daily B744 + 3 weekly A343)
MEL/SYD - from 3x weekly to 5x weekly
BKK - A330/A343 is now regularly scheduled for the daily flights
HKG - All but one of the four daily flights are gonna be served by a widebody.
CEB-NRT - from 5x weekly to 6x weekly (where did they get the additional Narita slot? the MNL-NRT flights weren't compromised)

I wonder how, with a fleet of 4 744s, 1 74M, and 4 A343s, will PR be able to fly 12xweekly LAX, 10xweekly SFO, 3xweekly HNL, and 5xweekly YVR/LAS and still keep their schedules running? It'll take just one incident to screw the entire schedule over.

LurveBus

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 25):
Quoting Tourism Secretary Ace Durano, Bacolod Rep. Monico Puentevella said Philippine Airlines (PAL) direct flights from South Korea to Bacolod via the Bacolod-Silay Airport are expected to start before the year ends. Puentevella is the chair of the House Committee on Transportation.

These are probably just gonna be charter services, like the Incheon-Palawan flights a few years ago.

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 23):
I wonder how long it will be until PR increases its YVR/LAS flights to daily.. seem to always be asking the Canadian government for an extension of their authority to operate 5 flights per week (as they are technically allowed only 4). They must be doing ok.

Earlier this year, there was a lot of noise about renegotiating the ASA with Canada. I wonder what happened to that.

SKA380

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm goin to Philippines in 4 days, woohooo!

Does anyone know a new (and hopefully final) opening date for the new Terminal 3 ??

Leif

LurveBus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting SKA380 (Reply 32):

Cool! How long are ya staying?

Does anyone know a new (and hopefully final) opening date for the new Terminal 3 ??

There isn't a definite date at the moment, and even if there were one, nobody would believe it given that everyone who's announced a date (fraport/piatco/government) has never stuck to it Big grin

SKA380

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:14 am

I'm there for 3 weeks of beach and tanduay  Smile

This T3 issue is getting really annoying i must say, as the current international terminal is screamin for an upgrade.
It's fun to see the trees outside T3 though that was just small bushes when it was built, but 5-6 meter high trees now.. hehe

Btw, does anyone know if the 727 (or was it 707) resturant is still open near the airport ?

Leif

leamside

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting LurveBus (Reply 30):
I wonder how, with a fleet of 4 744s, 1 74M, and 4 A343s, will PR be able to fly 12xweekly LAX, 10xweekly SFO, 3xweekly HNL, and 5xweekly YVR/LAS and still keep their schedules running? It'll take just one incident to screw the entire schedule over.

Maybe, just maybe, PAL will once in a while fly to SFO & LAX via Honolulu using an A-330. After all, it hasn't been unusual for PAL in the past to substitute the regularly scheduled 747 & 340 on a friday to SFO with two 340 flights instead.

Norcal773

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting AirlineAddict (Reply 22):
I would have to disagree regarding time savings on the MNL - SFO/LAX leg. PR is roughly 12 hours while the shortest via NRT/HKG/ICN is 15.5 hours. Saving 3 hours is a lot... that's if PR is on time, of course.

I would have to disagree regarding time savings on the MNL - SFO/LAX leg. PR is roughly 12 hours while the shortest via NRT/HKG/ICN is 15.5 hours. Saving 3 hours is a lot... that's if PR is on time, of course.

Huuh?  confused 

SFO-MNL fligth leaves SFO at 10:30 PM PST and get's to MNL at around 5:00 AM local time ( 2 PM PST) That's 15.5 hours and if you're lucky enough to avoid the GUM stop over, make it 14.5 hours.

Have fun. Philippines is by far the best place in the world I've bee to, and I've been to 28 countries. Reason I live here now.  biggrin 

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 9):
I am not about to argue here, but based on my experience, PAL is not always the least expensive.

You're right, there're not always the cheapest but their J class is normally the cheapest most of the time.

airlineaddict

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 36):

Huuh?

SFO-MNL fligth leaves SFO at 10:30 PM PST and get's to MNL at around 5:00 AM local time ( 2 PM PST) That's 15.5 hours and if you're lucky enough to avoid the GUM stop over, make it 14.5 hours.

I was talking about the MNL-SFO leg not SFO-MNL. I definitely agree that there's little difference on the westbound leg, but eastbound, you can't beat the nonstop MNL-LAX/SFO flight... that is if the flight is on time.

KL808

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm

where did they get the additional Narita slot? the MNL-NRT flights weren't compromised

I think they got the slot from 5J. I believe not too long ago they relinquished 2 slots in the B757 range which is roughly the size of 1 extra A330 flight.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

KL808

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:08 am

A380 to MNL between October 8 - 15 !!!

Wow, according to Flight International, the A380 will be visiting 2 airports in the Luzon area this coming October. MNL for sure and maybe CRK (I can't think of another airport that can probably handle it).

This will be a route proving tour for the Engine Alliance Powered aircraft, MSN 9.

Great News indeed. For our spotters over there, get your stuff ready. Congrats.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...to-conduct-route-proving-tour.html

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

jasp25

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting KL808 (Reply 39):

No sh*t! Wow I thought MNL isn't A380-capable but looks like the big momma is gonna be there soon!

Great news!

-Jasp

KL808

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 40):
No sh*t! Wow I thought MNL isn't A380-capable but looks like the big momma is gonna be there soon!

Maybe PR will have a nice look and order 2.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

jasp25

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting KL808 (Reply 41):

Would be nice, but does PR have the financial capability order a couple of them? Last time I heard about them, they were trying to secure some loans for the pre-delivery of their A320's and some more money for their 777's. A PR livery on an A380 would be nice.

-Jasp

Norcal773

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Airlineaddict (Reply 37):
I was talking about the MNL-SFO leg not SFO-MNL. I definitely agree that there's little difference on the westbound leg, but eastbound, you can't beat the nonstop MNL-LAX/SFO flight... that is if the flight is on time.

You're right, can't beat the Westbound leg time-wise but like you said, if it's on time.  biggrin 

bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy 

This is freakin' exciting. Was contemplating heading out to Changi to check it out around that time but I guess I don't have to. A.net meet to check out the big bird?? I don't know of a place we can spot though...best place I've been to is 'Dampa' market which has a great 'belly view' when they're landing or taking off.

airplane   bigthumbsup   camera   candle   champagne 

leamside

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 am

For the spotters at SFO & especially EWR which does not have any Philippine Airlines flights, President Macapagal is scheduled to stop by San Francisco aboard a chartered PAL flight on Tuesday night and be in Newark, New Jersey at 6:00AM this Wednesday. Plane type unknown as of this time.

And while the A-380 is to be in the PI sometime Oct 8-15, Pacific Pearl Airways is said to have its first revenue flight on Oct. 21. Destination still uncertain but probably to Cebu.

jasp25

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting Leamside (Reply 44):
while the A-380 is to be in the PI sometime Oct 8-15,

Where do you think are they gonna park this beast in MNL??

KL808

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 45):
Where do you think are they gonna park this beast in MNL??

I think the best spot is in front of Lufthansa Hangers.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

Devilfish

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting LurveBus (Reply 10):
Oh, and congratulation to PR for exiting receivership. Now, they're free to make megalomaniac orders again

Quoting KL808 (Reply 41):

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 42):
Would be nice, but does PR have the financial capability order a couple of them?

That's the M$$$$$ question. This had often been reported as El Capitan's pipe dream. But wouldn't it be a logistical challenge for PR as their long-haul fleet is due for another makeover soon with six 77Ws? That would be quite a mix with 744s and 340s. And although they have said there were no plans of adding 747s, I wonder if Boeing and GE are working on selling them the 748I in the near future, or would be willing to arrange financing now that they will be out of receivership?

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 40):
Wow I thought MNL isn't A380-capable but looks like the big momma is gonna be there soon!

As to future scheduled services, I still haven't come across a detailed plan of T3's gates and wonder if they were intending to combine two gates for the A380. However, since FRAPORT initiated the terminal design well into the A380s development, they must have taken it into account.

Quoting Leamside (Reply 44):
President Macapagal is scheduled to stop by San Francisco aboard a chartered PAL flight

I missed news of his disinterment!  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

leamside

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 47):
I missed news of his disinterment!

All these long and hyphenated international airport, ex and current presidential names got me confused.

I meant Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo  Smile PGMA - to add an accronym  Wink

cityairline

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:21 am

Great, but how did that happen?

Big grin
OMG, finally! This is so great! I envy you suckers who can be there to see this!  Smile

//Alex
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...