modesto2

SXM Info Needed

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:36 am

I'm planning to nonrev to SXM for a day or two of spotting and relaxing. For those of who have been there, what are good hotels in the area and any tips about places to go and things to do at Maho Beach? Any other info is appreciated. Thanks!

toltommy

RE: SXM Info Needed

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:43 am

Honestly, the French side of the island is a bit nicer. Phillipsburg is a busy town when the cruise ships are in. Marigot has a nice harbor with restauarants all around it. Grand Case was once the gourmet capital of the caribbean. It got pounded pretty good by a hurricane 15 years ago, never quite regained its status. But the main street thru the village still has many very nice restaurants. As as much fun as it is to watch planes land at Maho Beach, the scenery on Orient Beach is much much better!  eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping   eyepopping 

YULYMX

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 am

Stay at the maho beach resorts closed to airport nice resaurants across the street... French Restaurant a little back of the street red name amazing...

IAHFLYR

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 am

Dude, just take a towel and stay on the beach!  Smile Enjoy, it is a true wonderful island with many fun things to do. I am betting you aren't airplane spotting!!!!  eyepopping  Don't forget to visit Marigo and have some local fresh grilled lobster and that island beverage (are you really old enough to drink adult beverages  Smile )they are famous for, only now my old age won't remember what it's called!  Confused
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

IAHFLYR

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:50 am

Found my memory in a Boeing Jet!  Smile Guava-berry.........ENJOY Friend!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

El Al 001

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:58 pm

I've been there 2 weeks ago, being at Sunset beach was really like a dream coming true.

It was superb.

I had much trouble geeting out of there, however, as all flights were full and I had to go through SJU both ways...

cxsjr

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:20 pm

This is where we stayed http://www.thtgh.com/index.html

If you overlook the hicky throws and decor - the units are clean and a fraction of the cost of the large hotels near Maho Beach.

It's on Simpson Bay, the opposite side of the runway from the Terminal and you can throw a stone from your room into the sea!! The beach is beautiful and sipping a cocktail or beer there in the evenings as you watch the sunset is just heaven! There's also a BBQ and equipment but if you're not up for self catering, there's a great selection of bars and restaurants just a short walk away in Simpson Bay itself.

http://www.pbase.com/60542k/image/58798793/original.jpg

PS: whatever you do, please don't spend the whole trip in the Sunset Bar - there's more to St Maarten than an airport!

[Edited 2007-09-18 09:26:10]
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....