EXAAUADL
Topic Author

FED EX, DHL And UPS In Canada

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:16 am

Do FED EX, UPS have the right to carry freight between two points within Canada? If so, then obvious cargo is governed by differeent rules than pax carriers?

dispatcher

RE: FED EX, DHL And UPS In Canada

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:24 am

FedEx contracts another airline (MorningStar Air Express) using sub-let FedEx jets to do Canadian point to point operations. Canada - US - Canada is handled normally.

Here's more:

http://www.maei.ca/

N328KF

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 1):
FedEx contracts another airline (MorningStar Air Express) using sub-let FedEx jets to do Canadian point to point operations. Canada - US - Canada is handled normally.

Does this matter anymore?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Viscount724

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 am

As far as I know they have to use Canadian sub-contractor carriers for domestic service. FedEx can of course carry cargo between two Canadian cities via a hub in the US, but unless this has changed recently, they can't carry cargo on one of their US-registered aircraft on a direct flight between two points in Canada.

In addition to 5th freedom rights, the Canada-US bilateral gives carriers from both countries 7th freedom rights to operate stand-alone international services between the other country and a 3rd country. e.g. FedEx could base an aircraft in Canada and operate to a 3rd country without the flight having to originate/terminate in the USA. And vice versa for Canadian all-cargo carriers. But they don't have cabotage (domestic) rights.

I stand to be corrected in case any of the above has changed recently.

dispatcher

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 2):
Does this matter anymore?

I'm not sure I get your point? I guess my answer would be yes, it does matter because it applied to the question being asked.

Viscount724: Great description on the legalities of the whole situation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos