EXAAUADL
Topic Author

FED EX, DHL And UPS In Canada

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:16 am

Do FED EX, UPS have the right to carry freight between two points within Canada? If so, then obvious cargo is governed by differeent rules than pax carriers?

dispatcher

RE: FED EX, DHL And UPS In Canada

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:24 am

FedEx contracts another airline (MorningStar Air Express) using sub-let FedEx jets to do Canadian point to point operations. Canada - US - Canada is handled normally.

Here's more:

http://www.maei.ca/

N328KF

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 1):
FedEx contracts another airline (MorningStar Air Express) using sub-let FedEx jets to do Canadian point to point operations. Canada - US - Canada is handled normally.

Does this matter anymore?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Viscount724

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 am

As far as I know they have to use Canadian sub-contractor carriers for domestic service. FedEx can of course carry cargo between two Canadian cities via a hub in the US, but unless this has changed recently, they can't carry cargo on one of their US-registered aircraft on a direct flight between two points in Canada.

In addition to 5th freedom rights, the Canada-US bilateral gives carriers from both countries 7th freedom rights to operate stand-alone international services between the other country and a 3rd country. e.g. FedEx could base an aircraft in Canada and operate to a 3rd country without the flight having to originate/terminate in the USA. And vice versa for Canadian all-cargo carriers. But they don't have cabotage (domestic) rights.

I stand to be corrected in case any of the above has changed recently.

dispatcher

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 2):
Does this matter anymore?

I'm not sure I get your point? I guess my answer would be yes, it does matter because it applied to the question being asked.

Viscount724: Great description on the legalities of the whole situation.