SirDeath
Topic Author

Movies With Real Vintage Aircraft Interiors?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:52 am

I was watching the movie Bullitt and it had a real interior of a now vintage, but then state-of-the-art new PanAm Boeing 707 in the film (about the last 15 minutes of the film in the SFO airport chase scene). This film from 1968 gives a really nice view of a 707 cabin in pristine condition being used by actual people, as 1968 was before my time. They used the actual interior of the film (according to various directors notes). Are there any other older films that went to the lengths of using a REAL aircraft interiors (not fabricated or simulated) in the filming that aviation geeks might use as a time capsule to see what the inside of a ship from various eras looked like? Also, what struck me was the IFE (or what looked like IFE) system that the plane had. It appeared to have TV's (big units with small screens) hanging from the ceiling (made possible by the lack of PSUs). Also if anyone knows the reg of the AC used in the film, that would be cool too!

XXXX10

RE: Movies With Real Vintage Aircraft Interiors?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 am

IIRC The graduate has a scene showing the interior of a DC8. The orirignal Airport film shows a 707 of the time, with the lounge in first class.

Viscount724

RE: Movies With Real Vintage Aircraft Interiors?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting SirDeath (Thread starter):
Also, what struck me was the IFE (or what looked like IFE) system that the plane had. It appeared to have TV's (big units with small screens) hanging from the ceiling

Pan Am had those large overhead CRT monitors on some of their early 707-320s. I remember flying on one ORY-FCO in 1970, although the IFE wasn't used on those short sectors. That equipment must have been very heavy. PA's later 707-320B/Cs had the more usual (in those days) film/projector system and pull-down screens. My first inflight movie was on a PA 707-320B SEA-LHR also in 1970.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos