ltbewr

Fake Bomb Scare At BOS

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:53 pm

A 19 year old woman, Star Simpson, a 2nd year student at MIT, was arrested at gunpoint for having a fake bomb on her body at BOS airport this morning, September 22nd. The incident occurred in Terminal B. She approached an info kiosk there, an employee at the kiosk noticed the circuit board and other components and believed it was a bomb and called police who quickly responded. She is now under police custody and an investigation continues as to this incident. Must have been a wild scene this morning at BOS, bet it screwed up a lot of flights and caused a lot of unnecessary problems.

AviationAddict

RE: Fake Bomb Scare At BOS

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
bet it screwed up a lot of flights and caused a lot of unnecessary problems.

We actually didn't even know it happened until we saw the story on CNN. No flights appear to have been affected.

chrisnh

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:50 am

Her likely excuse: "My professors made me do it!"

yfbflyer

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:05 am

a 2nd year student at MIT, was arrested at gunpoint for having a fake bomb on her body at BOS airport this morning

an employee at the kiosk noticed the circuit board and other components and believed it was a bomb and called police who quickly responded
Really? Or was it just an over reaction by a paranoid employee?
I am sure there are 2 sides to this story. I recall news stories about MIT students developing wearable computers. Still they should have enough common sense not to wear something like that in such a situation.
For now I am willing to hold off any snap judgment.

Ok I read the other thread with a link to the story in the Boston globe. Apparently it was an "art thing" they should have shot her any way

[Edited 2007-09-21 18:13:40]

MDorBust

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:11 am

A 19 year old woman, Star Simpson, a 2nd year student at MIT, was arrested at gunpoint for having a fake bomb on her body at BOS airport this morning, September 22nd.

Finally figured out how to predict the future?

"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

flybyguy

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:44 am

I've seen the device images on CNN and it looks completely harmless.... just a experimental breadboard with some wires attached to a t-shirt that says "Socket To Me"... which in my opinion is just a bit of computer geek humour. If anyone personally knows people from MIT, they are renowned for their high intelligence and their quirky ways... furthering the notion that this whole situation was ridiculously exaggerated by authorities.

I think the media and the police actually jumped to the conclusion that this device was intended to look like a bomb. I think this whole situation was blown out of proportion by paranoia and the charges should be reduced. Perhaps if she went to an airport with an "I love Al-Qaeda" t-shirt and the same device then perhaps it would be construed as intent to terrorize.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

chrisnh

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 5):
MIT, they are renowned for their high intelligence

I guess that 'intelligence' doesn't extend to, "Gee, maybe this isn't the best outfit to wear inside an AIRLINE TERMINAL...in BOSTON...in SEPTEMBER!"

Rodeo clown.

Chris in NH

csturdiv

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:02 am

Didn't she even have Play Doh in her hand also? I liked the one quote that I read, it said something like "she is lucky to be in our cell rather than our mourge".
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

AsstChiefMark

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 am

She's a geek twit. Lots of smarts, but no common sense. Check it out:

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_264104114.html
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

richierich

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:11 am

Another Simpson arrested - this woman belongs on the show, however.
What a major-league dummy. I don't know what prank she was trying to pull (or get away with) but its going to cost her dearly now.

The public should know better than this and MIT needs to raise their admission standards.
None shall pass!!!!

ikramerica

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 6):
I guess that 'intelligence' doesn't extend to, "Gee, maybe this isn't the best outfit to wear inside an AIRLINE TERMINAL...in BOSTON...in SEPTEMBER!"

That's common sense. A lot of smart people lack any common sense. They are so logical, they assume that everyone will analyze everything to the level they do and come to the same conclusion they do, and it confuses them when it doesn't happen that way.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

sh0rtybr0wn

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:25 am

Some people are too smart for their own good. It actually is a good piece of art though. Think of it, our society is completely obsessed technology ,with terrorism and terrorists and bombs and 9/11 and homeland security, and FEAR.

This girls performance piece was a reaction to that, and wearing a bomb as a fashion statement makes light of terrorism and reminds us that we've got other things to worry about in our lives other than bombs, no matter how much the media focuses on that. It reminds us to have a sense of humor about things, even bombs, and keep things in perspective.

Its basically the 21st century equivalent of a radioactive symbol t-shirt, which people use to wear as a joke about nuclear weapons during the cold war. It didn't mean they were pro-radiation.

The idea to wear it to the airport was very gutsy, but maybe too dangerous. As a piece of art, it would have made a more powerful statement to wear it to BOS actually ON September 11th.

EMBQA

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 11):
This girls performance piece was a reaction to that, and wearing a bomb as a fashion statement makes light of terrorism and reminds us that we've got other things to worry about in our lives other than bombs, no matter how much the media focuses on that. It reminds us to have a sense of humor about things, even bombs, and keep things in perspective.

,,,and I'm sure she'll have plenty of time to think about it while she sits in jail
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

dw9115

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:42 am

This lady sound like a complete fool trying to bush the limits and found out that the police are not playing around and think things like this are not to funny.

michlis

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:47 am

Quote:
It actually is a good piece of art though.

I'm sure orange will look good on her too.

Quote:

Lol, I can see using that defense in front of the federal magistrate.

Quote:
The idea to wear it to the airport was very gutsy, but maybe too dangerous.

Gutsy maybe, but irresponsible nonetheless. The only intelligent thing she did was cooperate when she was confronted.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

michlis

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:56 am

Quote:
Lol, I can see using that defense in front of the federal magistrate.

Whoops....I should have said judge...I have federal court on the brain for some reason.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

a380us

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:59 am

er body at BOS airport this morning, September 22nd.

you mean its going to happen tomorow morning cause today is the 21st
www.JandACosmetics.com

slider

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:08 am

"... which in my opinion is just a bit of computer geek humour

Yeah, haha, really funny. NOT.

If anyone personally knows people from MIT, they are renowned for their high intelligence and their quirky ways...

Obviously, book intelligence is highly overrated. But if by "quirky" you mean "socially aloof and retarded" I agree.

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 11):
The idea to wear it to the airport was very gutsy, but maybe too dangerous.

Not gutsy, freaking stupid. She should be absolutely pressed with a felony to the maximum extent of the law.

Mir

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 17):
She should be absolutely pressed with a felony to the maximum extent of the law.

I'd let her off with a fine. I don't think she intended to cause havoc, she just wasn't thinking.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ikramerica

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 13):
This lady sound like a complete fool trying to bush the limits and found out that the police are not playing around and think things like this are not to funny.

Especially in Boston, where the authorities are prone to overreaction. That city is not the place to pull a prank...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

slider

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):

I'd let her off with a fine. I don't think she intended to cause havoc, she just wasn't thinking.

-Mir

Ignorance is no excuse for disobeying the law.

Given the magnitude and heightened sensitivities of the matter in question, you could make an argument that she very much intended to cause trouble.

deltairlines

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 am

Saw this on CNN this morning. The woman is a complete fool to be wearing that to any airport, but especially Logan Airport (and especially in Terminal C, which is where UA175 left from).

slider

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 21):
Saw this on CNN this morning. The woman is a complete fool to be wearing that to any airport, but especially Logan Airport (and especially in Terminal C, which is where UA175 left from).

With "plastic explosive" (aka Play-Doh) in her hand...

Just a coincidence, I'm sure. Speaks right to intent.

pygmalion

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:48 am

Prank? She never went past the security cordon. She went to a ticket counter and asked when a flight arrival was and then went outside to wait... The cops pulled up and drew down on her and arrested her for????

Wearing art!!!. She never made threats, no bomb comments, nothing.

A cop should have asked her what it was, asked her to cover it or take it off, if they werre really worried about it and let her go on her way. Arrest her??? for what?

rfields5421

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 23):
A cop should have asked her what it was, asked her to cover it or take it off, if they werre really worried about it and let her go on her way. Arrest her??? for what?

Ask her to touch it ??

Are you kidding ???

This is a world where suicide bombers are so common they don't always make the front page of the news.

It will happen some day in the US.

No the only intelligence she showed today was realizing how serious the cops were and completely, fully complying with their orders.

glacote

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:11 am

I don't know what people will think about this kind of stories in say 20 years. This is completely ridiculous. Mind-blowingly so.

The comments of some (including journalists) saying that she must have been out of her right mind to dare do this - those comments are even more concerning.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:40 am

Wearing art!!!. She never made threats, no bomb comments, nothing.

And this is the reason why people who think like you can never be soldiers or cops. Too naive. In fact, that's an understatement!
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

richierich

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Glacote (Reply 25):
I don't know what people will think about this kind of stories in say 20 years. This is completely ridiculous. Mind-blowingly so.

The comments of some (including journalists) saying that she must have been out of her right mind to dare do this - those comments are even more concerning.

I respectfully disagree, Glacote. I'm not saying that US media is not responsible for over-blowing the actual events, but in a case like this I hold little regard for the defendant. What she did was stupid and reckless.

I also freely admit that I don't know all of the facts. Nobody here does besides her arresting officers and herself, and now maybe a lawyer or two. But clearly in this day and age, traveling with items that are intending to look like a bomb is clearly not a joke and shouldn't be treated as such. What was she trying to prove? Was she trying to show "how easy" it is to circumvent security with dangerous devices? Seems like a pretty dumb point to try and make to me... does she think it is worth it now? She could have easily ended up on the wrong end of a police gun - I'm not saying this is right but it is pretty much reality.

It never ceases to amaze me that people outside the US can have such a casual approach to security. When those madmen crashed the hijacked planes in 2001, a lot of freedoms and liberties went with them. That's the price all of us have to pay for being secure, otherwise we might as well let it happen again.
None shall pass!!!!

LH423

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 20):
Ignorance is no excuse for disobeying the law.

That's just it, I can't figure out what law she broke. Not that I'm defending her actions but beyond an apparent detachment from reality, what laws could she have broken?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

EMBQA

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:09 am

The cops pulled up and drew down on her and arrested her for????

Arrest her??? for what?

For what...? I actually think it's more scary that you are so out of touch with reality, the law and not seeing what she did was wrong.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AsstChiefMark

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 28):
That's just it, I can't figure out what law she broke.

Possession of a hoax device.

It's no different than me placing a fake hand grenade on the dashboard of my car as I try to cross the US-Canada border. Or taping a bunch of highway flares and an alarm clock together and setting it next to city hall.

PHLBOS

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 am

Arrest her??? for what?

Quoting LH423 (Reply 28):
I can't figure out what law she broke. Not that I'm defending her actions but beyond an apparent detachment from reality, what laws could she have broken?

Exerpt from today's Boston Herald:
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re.../general/view.bg?articleid=1033139

Simpson pleaded innocent today in East Boston District Court to a charge of possession of a hoax device.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

LH423

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 30):
Possession of a hoax device.

Fair enough. I didn't know that was a charge but I can see that.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

aloha73g

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:17 am

Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

ua2162

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:27 am

I remember this kid swimming for HPA.

Pretty crazy!

sh0rtybr0wn

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 27):
a lot of freedoms and liberties went with them. That's the price all of us have to pay for being secure, otherwise we might as well let it happen again.

No Way.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote by Benjamin Franklin

contrails

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:45 am

You'd think a college student would know better than to attempt such a stupid stunt. She needs to spend some time in her cell thinking about her stupidity, and about how close she came to being killed. Airport police have zero tolerance for this sort of thing. If she had twitched they would have blown her away.
Flying Colors Forever!

aloha73g

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 36):
You'd think a college student would know better than to attempt such a stupid stunt.

I think its worth noting that it seems she was not "attempting a stunt" and just went to meet a friend's flight wearing something that (to her) was cool and didn't seem to be threatening at all (she is an MIT Uber-Geek afterall). She did not make a verbal threats and complied with the police.

Thank Goodness the "Don't Tase Me Bro" guy wasn't in her situation.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

SFO2SVO

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:57 am

I am not saying she did a smart thing but:
the other day I saw a group of high school kids at SWA counter. They had a big boombox with lots of flashing LEDs. One of them was even wearing a hooded sweatshirt. If I remember right, PanAm 103 bomb was hidden in the radio.

Again, not advocating playing pranks in airports - but where do we draw the line?
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 9):
Another Simpson arrested - this woman belongs on the show, however.

This one seems more akin to Jessica Simpson than OJ Simpson....  Wink

After that BS stunt right there in Boston by the Cartoon Network, last year I think, you'd think someone would have more common sense....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pygmalion

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:59 am

Look at the picture, I served in the military. I lived in Israel for a year. She was outside on the drive. No threats, no "hoax"... What's next arresting anyone with an Ipod? IT HAS WIRES!!!!N OMG

EMBQA

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 40):
She was outside on the drive. No threats, no "hoax"...

As someone that has actually worked at BOS, the Mass State Police take their job very serious. You do not mess around with stuipd things like this........and reading the story I've stood a thousand times were she was arrested. They are easily a few hundred people that pass that spot every few minutes

Second..... she was NOT outside. She was INSIDE. She went inside, asked about a flight at the Info Kiosk, when asked about her 'item' she refused to answer and walked away. She was arrested outside

[Edited 2007-09-21 23:10:20]

csturdiv

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 am

Why are people so confused about what she did was right or wrong? This is equilivent to going into a crowded place and yelling the word "Fire!!!!" and enciting panic. While this numbnut might not have caused panic at BOS (haven't had a chance to read the full story, just glanced at it), this is the same thing. Plain and simple, no need for confusion!
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

bok269

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:34 am

Prank? She never went past the security cordon. She went to a ticket counter and asked when a flight arrival was and then went outside to wait... The cops pulled up and drew down on her and arrested her for????

It doesnt matter that she wasn't through security...a bomb can go off before security and do a lot of damage. ITs happened several times.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

aloha73g

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:45 am

The Honolulu Advertiser is really running with this story.

www.honoluluadvertiser.com

They have a special section on the homepage with a variety of stories linked up.

-Aloha!

USAirALB

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:47 am

the nerve of some people
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

basrabob

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:00 am

she deserves everything she gets , the cupid stunt!

rwessel

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:36 am

The statement from the Suffolk County District Attorney:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/da...lypix/2007/Sep/21/092107_logan.pdf

She did not refuse to answer. The airport employee repeated their question, and she stated it was a piece of art.

As to where she was when arrested, it's not 100% clear from the press release, but she apparently "...left the counter to walk around the baggage claim area, eventually leaving the building." and "As she left Logan, ... Shortly thereafter, responding troopers placed her under arrest." So she was either leaving or outside.

The judge apparently darn thinks little of this, reducing even the minimal $50K bail request from the DA to $750. I'm not sure the rules in MA, but in Illinois, that means she'd have to come up with $75 cash.

For a couple of LEDs and a battery? A threat of deadly force? Because a terrorist is likely going to have the wires and blinky lights for their bomb on the outside of their shirt?

And for a crowd usually ready call the TSA and friends on their general incompetence and silly behavior, the reactions here are really disappointing...

AirTranTUS

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 am

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 40):
She was outside on the drive.

The truck at GLA was outside too.

It would be stupid not to question someone with a device like that on their shirt. There is no reason to let them go.
I love ASO!

rwessel

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 48):
It would be stupid not to question someone with a device like that on their shirt.

Sure, question away. Threaten with deadly force? Arrest? Be serious.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 48):
There is no reason to let them go.

When it's trivially determined that the device is harmless, and not in any way similar to a bomb, of course...