FWAERJ
Topic Author

Why Airlines Need To Ban Alcohol For Exit-Row Pax

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 am

A while back, my mom took a flight on NW. She sat in the exit row, and the people sitting next to her were intoxicated. Yet the flight attendant kept serving little airline-size bottles of vodka to them. But what if that whole A319 full of passengers had to evacuate? The intoxicated passengers would probably be blocking the way, unable to open the exit row door.

Based on that experience, I think that airlines need to stop serving alcohol to exit-row passengers. But would there be any drawbacks to such a proposal?
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

ikramerica

RE: Why Airlines Need To Ban Alcohol For Exit-Row Pax

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Thread starter):
Based on that experience, I think that airlines need to stop serving alcohol to exit-row passengers. But would there be any drawbacks to such a proposal?

F/As are supposed to stop serving alcohol to people they think are intoxicated no matter what row. That was irresponsible of the F/As if the people were truly and clearly intoxicated.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

georgebush

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:33 am

I think an emergency evacuation would be a buzz-killing event if you ask me.

I think its an interesting proposal though. Perhaps limit them to one or two drinks? I would def. make the e-exit seats not so highly sought after and more appealing to those who choose not to drink.
Al Gore invented global warming.

UN_B732

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 am

The trouble is, a drunk is a drunk, even if she's going down.

I think this would be a very interesting FAA regulation.

-A
What now?

georgebush

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
F/As are supposed to stop serving alcohol to people they think are intoxicated no matter what row.

Sometimes its harder to do that than you might think. If someone is drunk and asking for more, you have no idea how that person will react if you deny them...

Its sometimes easier to just pour them another one, and let the ground staff deal with it when you land.

Siege2L

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:52 am

I believe it is better to be slightly buzzed after impact. If you are completely sober, your body will feel all the pain associated with that trauma, making it harder for you to quickly expedite the deplaning process. If you are buzzed, you feel little pain, open the exit door, evacuate, and then your body can play victim all it wants AFTER everyone has left the aircraft. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a bar where someone who has been drinking has fallen on the dance floor or off of a stage and quickly gets up. ( I once fell off a treadmill after only 1 cocktail, but I was in no pain, and I left the gym VERY QUICKLY out of sheer embarrassment. )

But no more than 1 drink per 45mins - hour might suffice, I think.
Flying higher than over your dreams...

jhooper

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:13 am

You forget the way the FAA works. Somebody has to die first, and then the safety regulations will follow....  tombstone 
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

rushed

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 am

I think that this, based on one experience is a little bit of overkill.. regardless of where someone is sitting, if the plane goes down then it goes down... i'd prefer the drunks to be right near the door as they are probably safer there.. just push em out and go.. if they need to stumble down an isle drunk it might be even more dangerous.. but seriously.. i dont think that a few drunks are going to make the slightest difference in an emergency.. they might even be helpful as Siege2L says,... boozed up people dont feel the pain as much and can do some stuff that, if sober they probably wouldnt be able to do.. so yeah.. keep the booze up.. maybe just put a packed of paracetamol under the seat with the life jacket for the unfortunate hangover you get after drinking at 30,000 feet.
travel blogging enthusiast :)

swiftski

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:37 am

I don't think this would work...

If you're on a flight where you are put in the exit row by default, and want a drink, why should you have to suffer?

There will be the potential that no-one wants to swap with you so you can't drink on your flight.

You only need one counterexample to scupper an idea.

We'd then have aisle, window, middle, and alcohol seats.

Would you want to check in for a flight and be asked:

"What seat would you like Sir"

"I'd like an alcohol seat please"

"I'm afraid there are no alcohol seats left on this service. Only exit's left. Window or aisle, sir?"

ha763

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:52 am

The answer is simple. In an emergency situation, the intoxicated pax will be moved out of those seats and replaced by qualified, able bodied pax. Not only do the F/A's will make sure that exit row pax are qualified and willing to help at the begining of the flight, but will also reconfirm with the pax when an emergency situation occurs. If the pax changes his/her mind or the F/A determins that the pax is unable to help, then they will change the pax in the exit row.

ikramerica

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Studies have shown that when you are very tired, you have reflexes and alertness no better than a drunk.

Studies have also shown that when you first awake, same thing, and it can go on for over an HOUR after waking.

Thus, exit row pax should be both forbidden from sleeping, and be forced to sleep for 8 hours before the flight, then be awake for one full hour, then not have more than one drink, and then swap seats with someone else on a longhaul about halfway through who was forced for the first 1/2, then wake up for an hour.

No, wait, that would be unworkable. Because we live in the real world.

The obvious answer is to eliminate exit row seating, something that seems to be the trend on widebodies. We'll see if the 737RS and A320NG also find a way to eliminate the overwing exit...

86J

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Well, now that things have gotten to this..... Why not just have a pre-board screening of IQ's? Stupid people need not apply for exit rows. All you have to do to sit in one of these rows is to audibly say "yes" when asked if you understand the situation of sitting there. Even really stupid people can do this. Perhaps when we all get our national ID's and security cards and the government knows completely everything about everyone's personal and professional lives, they will probably have a way to make sure "infidels" don't get to sit in an exit row. Good luck with this one. Meanwhile bonafied terrorists manage to get on commercial aircraft because we are all worried about the guy/lady that has been sitting in an airport bar in La Guardia for five hours waiting for his/her delayed plane because airlines book too many flights at the same time to the same airport in the same 45 to 50 seat jets. (Ok, that rambled a bit, but it is pretty much true!)

Quoting Rushed (Reply 7):
i dont think that a few drunks are going to make the slightest difference in an emergency

Quite right, if you ask me. Not trying to defend anyone here, but, please..... Kind of like surviving a water landing in the middle of the Atlantic. You are facing some pretty incredible odds, whether there is a drunk in the way or not. More than likely they would hold you up by trying to tell you some stupid story about "I used to be," "and I used to be so good at,"...."and when I was there for that time"...."and if things had gone different that one time."......... Don't forget the high school sports parts, either. The only thing worse would be if you were actually sitting next to a high school football coach, or they were the same person-the ultimate worst!

Quoting Rushed (Reply 7):
the unfortunate hangover you get after drinking at 30,000 feet.

Bahhh...!!!!
You must have grown up at sea level! Most jets are pressurized to the point where 30,000 feet feels like about 8,000 feet, if I remember correctly. Growing up at 7,000 feet made that pretty much easy for me to get used to having a beer on a plane-as long as someone else is flying it! And if anyone on a plane can get drunk on one beer in 45 minutes of time, then they shouldn't be drinking in the first place! Or they are a really cheap (and sh*tty) date!

georgebush

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 8):
"What seat would you like Sir"

"I'd like an alcohol seat please"

"I'm afraid there are no alcohol seats left on this service. Only exit's left. Window or aisle, sir?"

OI Glen, lol, do you in all honesty think that this situation would happen? On any given flight only a few people actually drink. Im sure they could find someone that wouldnt mind the extra legroom. I reckon on a long haul flight it would be a different story, but if your crashed in the middle of the ocean at that point i'd rather be drunk! Cheers!

swiftski

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 12):
OI Glen, lol,

You're going to have to stop that.

Welcome to "the list"

ikramerica

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting 86J (Reply 11):
All you have to do to sit in one of these rows is to audibly say "yes" when asked if you understand the situation of sitting there. Even really stupid people can do this.

Actually, stupid people are more likely to say yes when asked a question they don't understand, lest they come across as stupid. I've known many not so smart people who would routinely say yes or agree to a lot of things when you could tell they had no idea what was being asked of them...  Wink

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:18 pm

If you're on a flight where you are put in the exit row by default, and want a drink, why should you have to suffer?

Wait, not having a drink for a few hours is "suffering" now?
International Homo of Mystery

aamr

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 pm

There will be the potential that no-one wants to swap with you so you can't drink on your flight.

If you alert an agent that you are not comfortable with the exit row responsibilities, you WILL be reseated.

57AZ

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 6):
Somebody has to die first, and then the safety regulations will follow....

Actually, one death usually does not get any significant response from the FAA. Kill a few (10-20) people a couple of times and that usually gets them motivated.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

707lvr

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:55 pm

No. But a two-drink minimum should definitely be imposed upon activities considerably more fraught with risk than flying, such as crossing the street, showering, talking on the telephone, etc.

N353SK

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 4):
Its sometimes easier to just pour them another one, and let the ground staff deal with it when you land.

I'm sure it's also easier to just jump out of the plane in an emergency and not help with the evacuation if an emergency arises, but both of the tasks we have mentioned are part of an FA's job.

My view on this point is that while having a drunk person in the exit row may or may not cause safety issues, having (theoretically) sober people in those seats couldn't hurt.

86J

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):

Depends on who you have to sit next to......there have been many people on different planes that have made me want to drink as much as possible, and then some.

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 18):
No. But a two-drink minimum should definitely be imposed upon activities considerably more fraught with risk than flying, such as crossing the street, showering, talking on the telephone, etc.

You make it sound like some people can handle drinking and some people can't. Oh wait, you are right.
I didn't know this thread related to being 18 years old.

This seems like just another biased idea. Put some thought into it and, well, I can't think of anything to drastic. (unless you have an actual fix, which I doubt) The Southern Baptist Convention and the Mormons called, and they want their dumb ideas back. (anyone a Mile High Mormon, for what it matters?) Sorry, that was a little much, but....

swiftski

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):

Wrong choice of words. My mistake.

Quoting Aamr (Reply 16):
If you alert an agent that you are not comfortable with the exit row responsibilities, you WILL be reseated.

Sure. If you want to change so you can drink though.. same answer? I'm not sure.

zvezda

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:11 pm

I can't imagine someone with and exit row seat who didn't want it not being able to find someone to switch seats with. In the States, FAs are already required to ask several questions of those sitting in exit rows and must move them if they answer No to any question. Adding "Are you willing to refrain from drinking alcohol during the flight?" would not pose any sort of problem.

I would happily give my business to an airline that didn't serve any alcohol onboard at all. Do I sometimes have a glass of wine onboard with dinner? Yes, but I always wish I hadn't.

RussianJet

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Doubtless it is, but then that 'easy option' is highly irresponsible. I'm sick and tired of dealing with people who have clearly been served far too much alcohol on aircraft. If you're not prepared to say 'no more' to someone as part of your job, then you're just not doing your job properly. There are easy and hard parts of every job - you just have to deal with it. The same goes for people who board people who are drunk even before they fly.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

georgebush

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 23):
Doubtless it is, but then that 'easy option' is highly irresponsible. I'm sick and tired of dealing with people who have clearly been served far too much alcohol on aircraft.

Right, but what if you are the F/A if that person is really intoxicated, how do you know what they will do if you refuse them?? That could possibly be a very dangerous situation if you ask me.

RussianJet

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 24):
Right, but what if you are the F/A if that person is really intoxicated, how do you know what they will do if you refuse them?? That could possibly be a very dangerous situation if you ask me.

You don't, and it is potentially dangerous, and not a little scary. However, those are the rules, and the consequences of getting them even more drunk could be even worse than a fracas over service. I don't enjoy having to deal with agressive people who don't want to do a lot of what I have to ask them to, but that's part of my job - I don't have the option of choosing which rules to enforce because I might not like the passenger's reaction.

I understand what you're saying, and it's a genuine cause for concern. Given that, and for many other reasons, I would be in favour of a total alcohol ban in airports and on aircraft.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

zvezda

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:00 pm

In life, the easy option and the right option are rarely the same.

what if you are the F/A if that person is really intoxicated, how do you know what they will do if you refuse them?? That could possibly be a very dangerous situation if you ask me.

That passenger was either intoxicated during boarding in which case the FAs should have booted him then or the FAs contributed to his intoxication. Either way, it is the FAs' responsibility.

bennett123

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Perhaps drinks should be reduced before they get drunk.

As for exit seats, perhaps realisation of what this entails would induce them to stay sober.

David

srbmod

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:16 pm

While we're at it, let's just ban alcohol from all of the restaurants and airline clubs in airports as well......

While I can understand what the OP is getting at, it really is an unenforcible concept. What's to stop someone sitting in a seat in one of the exit rows from going to a bar before getting on a flight? Unless airlines were to make folks sitting in an exit row seat take a breathalyser test or a field sobriety test like the police give (Tests that are actually designed to make the person fail, but that's for another thread in another forum here.), it's not going to happen. In addition, what's to stop someone from having someone not sitting in an exit to buy them a drink, snag it on the way to the lav, and down it in there?

They could always segregate the cabin into "drinking" and "non-drinking" perhaps with the exit rows in the "non-drinking" section. This too would probably never happen, as just in the old day of smoking and non-smoking seats, someone's going to end up sitting in the section they don't want to sit in and get mad.

What it really boils down to is personal responsibility. The vast majority of us that do drink before a flight don't overdo it. If we do drink in flight, we try to avoid overdoing it there as well (especially since the effects hit you harder, something I found out the hard way about 7 years back). When the F/A comes back around to refill that glass of wine, one can just put their hand over the glass and say they're fine. There is a small percentage of passengers who absolutely have to spend the entire flight plastered because that's the only way they can make it through a flight. These are the folks downing cans of beer like it's water or ordering double shots of liquor. I don't think I've ever seen an F/A cut anyone off on any of the flights I've been on. It could be that I just didn't see it or the person didn't make a fuss about it (you know the sort of stuff that gets a flight diverted or met at the gate at the destination by the local police).

One thing to realize is that it's not always obvious when a person is very drunk. I've known folks that even after 5-6 beers and a few shots still looked and acted as though they were sober or had only had a drink or two. Not every drunk person acts the same. I've seen people with 2 or 3 drink in them that acted like they had twice that amount. This makes it a bit harder for someone to make the determination whether a person has had too much to drink.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:17 am

airlines need to stop serving alcohol

...could just leave it there.

put in the exit row by default, and want a drink, why should you have to suffer?

"suffer"?
If you can't make it through a few hours of flight without consuming alcohol, then you've got farrrrr bigger problem than any aviation regulation's going to solve-- and most certainly should NOT be allowed to sit in an area that could impede others' exit in an emergency situation.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 28):
While we're at it, let's just ban alcohol from all of the restaurants and airline clubs in airports as well

...sure, what's the downside.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

PHKLM

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
The obvious answer is to eliminate exit row seating, something that seems to be the trend on widebodies. We'll see if the 737RS and A320NG also find a way to eliminate the overwing exit...

Well you don't have to wait that long, seen the fact the A321 doesn't have over-wing exits.
The Boeing 737-900ER does have overwing exits, but Boeing seems to be more keen on them anyway. The 757 and 767 have overwing exits while the A300 and A330-series don't.
Personally I feel safer with proper exits in stead of the plug-types. However, sitting in an emergency exit row (or near) gives you a lot of control if you want to get out.

doug_or

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 3):
drunk is a drunk, even if she's going down.

How does BAC% affect the gag reflex.

regds
MEL
When in doubt, one B pump off

DLPMMM

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 31):
How does BAC% affect the gag reflex.

OOOH, that's just plain funny!

I think Mommy should just mind her own business, instead of playing Taliban.

86J

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 29):
...sure, what's the downside.

Lots and lots of money being lost, that would be the downside. Imagine all of the tax $ lost as well as other revenue lost by people not making this money. Nobody wants to lose money by making new rules that pretty much resemble old rules that didn't work.

Speaking of this, people should wonder why most drugs are not legal in this country. Someone somewhere is making a ton of money off of this, and they don't want anyone else to get their paws on that money. (not standing up for any drug addicts, just saying that the system doesn't exactly work very well.)

swiftski

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 29):
"suffer"?
If you can't make it through a few hours of flight without consuming alcohol, then you've got farrrrr bigger problem than any aviation regulation's going to solve-- and most certainly should NOT be allowed to sit in an area that could impede others' exit in an emergency situation.

listen  READ READ READ  banghead 

I already said 8 replies earleir that "suffer" was the wrong choice of words, and that I'd made a mistake.

blockhead   butthead   confused   drunk 

twinotter

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:37 am

I think that airlines need to stop serving alcohol to exit-row passengers.

Interesting idea.

Should operators of trains and buses allow passengers sitting in the "exit window" row to drink? I would think the same considerations would apply.

n710ps

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 3):
a drunk is a drunk, even if she's going down.

no, than shes a pleasing drunk.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

sparkingwave

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:46 am

Let's look at this issue from a different angle. Just what are the chances of someone sitting in an exit row getting overly intoxicated?

And then what are the chances of an airplane actually getting into a situation calling for immediate evacuation?

And what are the chances that an overly intoxicated exit row passenger will obstruct other sober passengers in this situation?

The statistics will probably end up quite low, enough to let the flight attendants to determine on their own who appears intoxicated or not, on a case-by-case basis, instead of needing an overall ban.

[Edited 2007-09-22 21:48:57]
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

iairallie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:15 am

That is the lazy and dangerous attitude. I'm an FA and it is my job. You have excercise good judgement and not wait too long to cut off.

That could possibly be a very dangerous situation if you ask me.

And adding more alchol to an already potentially volitile situation isn't?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

N31029

Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 am

Hi Everyone.

I think that airlines need to stop serving alcohol to exit-row passengers.

I agree.

Unfortunately, due to the overall impressive safety record of commercial aviation, there is a tendency to ignore the reality of the flying experience as one that carries inherent danger. In the event of an incident, response times (and the difference between life & death) can be seconds.

I am continually amazed at how few air travellers listen to the pre-flight safety briefing. This should not be taken lightly as having this important information on the "front" burner can make the difference between a successful evacuation and one that only comes close.

In addition, when I personally am not seated in an exit row, I feel that those who are have a moral responsibility to the entire aircraft population to be physically and mentally up to the challenge. I am confident in trusting my well-being to the crew of highly skilled flight attendants on board. I am not so comfortable with the thought of an impaired passenger who doesn't take his or her role seriously being a key component in my air travel safety plan.

Finally, it is easy to dismiss this subject as unimportant and unlikely to ever be a factor. However, ask any survivor of an aircraft evacuation how they feel and I believe FWAERJ's excellent post quickly becomes relevant and potentially life-changing.

N31029
John 3:16

exFATboy

RE: Why Airlines Need To Ban Alcohol For Exit-Row

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting N31029 (Reply 39):
Finally, it is easy to dismiss this subject as unimportant and unlikely to ever be a factor.

Yes, it is, and perhaps that tells us something?

It isn't like there's only ONE passenger per overwing exit. There's at least two, and usually three. The probability that all the occupants of the exit-row seats will all be too intoxicated to open them is extremely low.

Add that to the extremely low possibility of the action ever being needed in the first place, and the conclusion is that this is really a classic example of someone going out of their way to identify a problem that really doesn't exist.

(That said, if there was a case where a group of passengers seated in the exit row had all obviously had a few before boardng, I could see the FAs moving them to another row. But I've never, in all my years of flying, seen this happen - exit row passengers tend to be solo flyers.)

georgebush

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 38):
That is the lazy and dangerous attitude. I'm an FA and it is my job. You have excercise good judgement and not wait too long to cut off.

Right, but as a bartender we dealing with drunks is how we make a living. We refuse people all the time who are within an inch of thier life because they drank themselves into a coma. We have bouncers to help us out when they get in your face about being refused. If its him in a tube 35,000ft in the air with Miss. I weigh 50kg's F/A nah... Who knows what that guy could do to her if she tried to refuse him a drink.

I say if someone is too drunk in an exit row, just swap them seats! Im sure it would not be hard to find a sober person on that plane who would not mind swapping seats.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 41):
I weigh 50kg's F/A

Thankfully not all of us are 50kg.

As for alcohol and exit row seating, if we start there, where do we end. What of passengers that drink that sit near the aisle? Near a door? What of passengers that don't pay attention to the demo? People who go into negative panic? I can start a huge list.

I personally sit by a door for take-off and landing. I also know what to do in an emergency when I travel on my own time. I just hope others do. I rely on human nature in an emergency (negative/postiive panic, the whole lot (again, a whole other list)).

I don't think that banning alcohol for exit rows is the answer. More a common sense approach to monitor and take-it-as-it-comes is a better solution. I know of no instances (accidents/incidents) that had a hindrance in evacuations due to drunk people.

Do we ban people from drinking if they sit too close to an exit in a bar or restaurant?
You can't cure stupid

iairallie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 41):
Who knows what that guy could do to her if she tried to refuse him a drink.

There are plenty of ways to handle the situation the most preferable being that you follow the law in the first place and not allow intoxicated persons to board and cut drinkers off before could be a problem. I'm a female FA and I've had some people get a little annoyed when I cut them off but never had anyone get violent. Usually they are pretty cool about it actually because I find the right way to communicate no to them. If I did have a problem pax I don't have bouncers but I have other crew members and plenty of able bodied passengers to assist me if needed. The point is you don't let someone get that wasted before the cut off and you won't have a problem.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

86J

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 43):
There are plenty of ways to handle the situation the most preferable being that you follow the law in the first place and not allow intoxicated persons to board and cut drinkers off before could be a problem. I'm a female FA and I've had some people get a little annoyed when I cut them off but never had anyone get violent. Usually they are pretty cool about it actually because I find the right way to communicate no to them. If I did have a problem pax I don't have bouncers but I have other crew members and plenty of able bodied passengers to assist me if needed. The point is you don't let someone get that wasted before the cut off and you won't have a problem.

It seems the voice of reason has spoken, no? I would have to agree with you. This whole thing is kind of a stupid subject and rambles into other things, as well as opens other questions. My biggest question after all of this is; Is anyone actually even looking anywhere near the big picture? Hypothetical comments abound. What is next, banning passengers in the exit row from sleeping at any time during the flight so they will be able to assist at any moment? I would say that this is going nowhere, but I appreciate hearing from someone who actually knows something about what they are talking about. (IAirAllie)

I had a friend once who was denied boarding at JFK for being too drunk to go to Ireland. (how does that happen!?) He was on his way for a vacation and was proposing to his now current wife when he got there. OOOOOPPPSSS! She ended up there and he didn't that day. Not a good way to start things out, but it sure made for a funny story for the rest of us....and it all worked out. I don't know if he was nervous or what, but obviously something. Jackass. I was with two of his brothers when the call came in. All that was said was; "Your F*&king brother......" A roll of the eyes by everyone and we all had an inkling of what was up.