nycfly75

JFK And EWR Declared "Level 2" Congested Airports

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 pm

My original thread and its good responses were deleted because I supposedly intentionally bumped the thread up. So im reposting it again.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...0Newark%20Schedules%20In%20Advance

Fair Use:

"FAA told airlines yesterday it is imposing a new international designation on New York's Kennedy and Newark airports that will require summer schedules to be supplied further in advance, and could signal FAA intentions to call for scheduling meetings among airlines.

The agency yesterday designated the pair as "level 2" congested airports, meaning airlines must submit summer schedules by Oct. 11. The deadline applies to flights between March 9 and Nov. 1, although FAA will also accept schedules that coincide with the IATA scheduling season of March 30-Oct. 25. There are 87 level 2 airports globally, and JFK will be the fifth in the U.S. Newark was already on the list, but only for its international terminal. LaGuardia and Chicago O'Hare are the only U.S. airports designated as level 3.

Level 2 airports are defined by IATA as ones "where there is considerable potential for congestion at some periods...which is amenable to resolution by voluntary cooperation between airlines." Under this definition, these airports also have "schedules facilitators" who can recommend schedule adjustments."

[Edited 2007-09-23 16:14:53]

DeltaAVL

RE: JFK And EWR Declared "Level 2" Congested Airports

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Nycfly75 (Thread starter):

Level 2 airports are defined by IATA as ones "where there is considerable potential for congestion at some periods...which is amenable to resolution by voluntary cooperation between airlines." Under this definition, these airports also have "schedules facilitators" who can recommend schedule adjustments."

What is a Level 3 airport defined as?
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

nycfly75

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:19 pm

I believe Level 3 are slot controlled airports, like ORD, LHR and LGA.

willyj

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:19 am

So will US carriers have to make their summer announcements for international expansion by October 11th?

nycfly75

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 am

I believe everyone has to, including Int'l carriers.