FFlyer
Topic Author

DL & CO Much More Expensive From NY To HEL

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Once again, when selecting flights from NY area to HEL, I noticed that both DL and CO can be almost double the cost compared to KL and AF on the same dates! Cheapest was KLM with a few options less than $700, when DL could be close to $2,000. This in about two weeks from now. NW is reasonable especially from BDL, but they are of course, working very closely with KL. Why this huge variation? Is it maybe due to code-share arrangement from AMS or CDG (AY)?

Before somebody suggests it: no AY for me...Skymiles miles...

sandrozrh

RE: DL & CO Much More Expensive From NY To HEL

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Thread starter):

Before somebody suggests it: no AY for me...Skymiles miles

You better take the opportunity to fly on one of the last pax MD11s around than earning miles  duck 

Is it maybe due to code-share arrangement from AMS or CDG (AY)?

AF does not fly CDG-HEL, they indeed codeshare with AY on this route while KL flies AMS-HEL with their own metal, and does not codeshare with AY.

BestWestern

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 am

Which means you dont earn DL miles on the AY codeshare
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

FlyHoss

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:30 am

Or have DL and CO already sold out of the (relatively) cheap seats?
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

FFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 1):
You better take the opportunity to fly on one of the last pax MD11s around than earning miles

Well, I have spent enough of long hours on DL, SR, KL and AY MD11's so that possibility is not really tempting enough for me now.

andaman

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 4):

Well, I have spent enough of long hours on DL, SR, KL and AY MD11's so that possibility is not really tempting enough for me now.

Same here, I think I have got my share of MD11. I rather wait couple of years, we'll probably see AY A330-300E flying JFK-HEL around 2009.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

UpperDeck79

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:23 am

I noticed that both DL and CO can be almost double the cost compared to KL and AF on the same dates!

Why is that a surprise? KL is the only one of those that actually flies its metal to HEL.
AY and ANA rock!

DL173

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:10 pm

You have to remember that for both CO and DL HEL is an offline market, which means paying expensive prorates
to other carriers for the connection to/from the DL/ CO gateway, especially as KL is the only SkyTeam carrier flying to HEL. Both OK and AF have codeshares on AY operated flights out of HEL. I don't think that either DL or CO has
any SPA agreements with AY. Example: The SPA agreement BW had when they existed cost SEK1100 each way ARN - LHR on SK connecting to their flight LHR - BGI before they ceased operations 31Dec06 and became Caribbean Airlines. SEK1100 x 2 equiv EUR 239 of the total fare.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos