m404

Is Service Coming To San Bernardino Airport?

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:18 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...story?coll=la-headlines-california

Four airlines reported showing interest. Sounds like Allegiant territory for one just as a guess.

With the level of service at ONT what do you think of the chances of the carriers to Ex Norton?

If, as the article states, none of the infrastructure is in place how can they say the cost structure will
attract some carriers when nothings been built yet to base a cost on?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

SANFan

RE: Is Service Coming To San Bernardino Airport?

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Sounds like a perfect fit for Skybus and maybe Allegiant but I sure can't think of anyone else who would pass on ONT for Norton. Ontario (at least according to many here on A.net) is the most underserved airport on the planet plus with the LAWAA (or whatever the LA Airport group is called) promoting ONT and undoubtedly fighting any possible competition, I don't see much hope for anything major happening at Norton for a very long time.

bb

aaway

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:37 am

Only other scheduled airlines that, IMO, could possibly have interest in SBD are Scenic or Vision Air.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

echster

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Why would an airline want to fly into SBD with ONT available? It can't be all because of cost. I would think LAWA would be willing to offer incentives for new service. It would fit into the LA mayor's plan to have more service at airports other than LAX.

That withstanding, SBD, IMHO, cannot provide all the necessary services of a scheduled air carrier. Folks like myself who live in the IE know how the weather gets as fall and winter roll around. You can go weeks with a marine layer several thousand feet thick. I won't even mention "June gloom." Is it feasible to have scheduled service when the lowest minimums for an IFR approach into SBD is 600-1 1/4? What about IFR takeoff minima for Cat A/B of 2100-2, Cat C/D of 3100/2 at a field elevation of 1159 feet MSL? It's best to go with an airport that has room and better services on offer.

sllevin

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:50 pm

I can't see SBD being viable because of the wicked approach minimums; the approach is effectively flying at VERY large pieces of granite, so you have to break off the approach abnormally high (compared to ONT, for example) so you can arc away in a missed approach.

Steve