rafflesking

Benefits Of DL Operating Flights To LHR And LGW?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 am

This question stems from the thread DL to Announce Latest International Expansion This Week' , where a few fellow a.netters speculated which US Gateways will get some of the 3 LHR slots DL purchased.

What are the benefits of a US carrier operating at both airports? I read lots that LHR is the more desirable airport and can attract more premium traffic, but with a fragmented operation, DL incurs the cost of overlapping personnel, furnishing, and probably a Crown Room and/or arrivals lounge.

I took a quick sample of advanced purchase coach and business fares from BWI and PHL to LHR and LGW, and they're relatively similiar. Assuming loads are the same, I suppose the revenue upside must be with JFK and other markets.

One viable theory is the business traveler FF that prefers LHR would be more inclined to migrate to DL and its growing international route network.

Sidenote, but I'm sure an occasional traveler will show up at the wrong airport  

[Edited 2007-09-24 18:44:02]

MAH4546

RE: Benefits Of DL Operating Flights To LHR And LGW?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 am

There will still be a market from Gatwick to the US, and with reduced service by other carriers, it can be even more profitable than it is today. American Airlines also plans to remain at Gatwick.
a.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):
There will still be a market from Gatwick to the US, and with reduced service by other carriers, it can be even more profitable than it is today. American Airlines also plans to remain at Gatwick.

Ive wondered something. Why doesnt AA switch both frequencies from DFW to LHR and put the LGW frequency at ORD? ORD-LON market is a lot bigger than DFW and instead of serveing both LON airports from DFW, why dont serve them from ORD?

ORD currently doesnt have LGW service.
It is what it is...

Cubsrule

RE: Benefits Of DL Operating Flights To LHR And LG

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):

Ive wondered something. Why doesnt AA switch both frequencies from DFW to LHR and put the LGW frequency at ORD? ORD-LON market is a lot bigger than DFW and instead of serveing both LON airports from DFW, why dont serve them from ORD?

ORD-LGW will be a MUCH stronger possibility if AA and BA get ATI, as the two would have a ridiculous frequency advantage on ORD-LHR even if AA ran a flight to LGW. The departure schedule to LHR looks like this now:

AA 90 0910
BA 294 1640
AA 56 1700
BA 296 1740
AA 66 1800
AA 46 2015
BA 298 2015
AA 98 2150

[Edited 2007-09-24 19:54:53]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

cloudyapple

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:45 am

So is it worthwhile for BA to fly to both JFK and Newark? Of course. The catchment areas are different so are the demographics of the passengers.
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

rafflesking

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 4):
So is it worthwhile for BA to fly to both JFK and Newark? Of course. The catchment areas are different so are the demographics of the passengers.

Different scenario - those passengers use LHR for connection opportunities whereas most passengers' destination will be London on DL.

But why is LHR so much more desirable than LGW that it justifies operating to two stations? I see the incremental cost, but I don't see the incremental revenue (I'm only assuming a shift of flights from LGW to LHR, not increased frequency).

bobnwa

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting RafflesKing (Thread starter):
This question stems from the thread DL to Announce Latest International Expansion This Week' , where a few fellow a.netters speculated which US Gateways will get some of the 3 LHR slots DL purchased.

Please give the details of the 3 LHR slots that DL has purchased. From who, how much, when etc.?

panamair

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 am

Part of the reason comes down to practicality. DL won't be able to get enough slots (at least at desirable times anyway) to move all of their London operations to LHR initially even if they wanted to.

rafflesking

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 6):
Please give the details of the 3 LHR slots that DL has purchased. From who, how much, when etc.?

Air France/KLM, how much was not released, in April or May

I think the deal also said that AF/KL codes would be placed on the flights.

bobnwa

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting RafflesKing (Reply 8):
Air France/KLM, how much was not released, in April or May

I think the deal also said that AF/KL codes would be placed on the flights.

Neither Delta or AF/KLM have announced any such slot sale.

nickofatlanta

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 am

Anyone think they may announce LHR on Tuesday?

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):
ORD-LGW will be a MUCH stronger possibility if AA and BA get ATI, as the two would have a ridiculous frequency advantage on ORD-LHR even if AA ran a flight to LGW.

One may not lead to another... remember, intercon carriers are often not allowed to invoke ATI on hub2hub routings.

However, with the amount of non-OneHeathroWorld competition on ORD-LHR, AA/BA may be allowed (some) collusion after all.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

deltal1011man

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:50 am

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...ctors/transport/article1654231.ece
there is a link and yes 3 slots and AF and KL code on the flight

Quoting Nickofatlanta (Reply 10):
Anyone think they may announce LHR on Tuesday?

maybe if so look for BA to change ATL to LHR
New airliners.net web site sucks....
Also the mods want to kill free speech and prevent people from saying things like the above. Better say nothing about awesomeness for this place or else!

avek00

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 11):
One may not lead to another... remember, intercon carriers are often not allowed to invoke ATI on hub2hub routings.

However, with the amount of non-OneHeathroWorld competition on ORD-LHR, AA/BA may be allowed (some) collusion after all.

To be brutally honest, I expect that, even if AA/BA were granted ATI tomorrow, they'd collude far less on North Atlantic flying than was envisioned a decade or so ago.
Live life to the fullest.

worldtraveler

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 am

DOT data has shown that DL and CO do better on their LGW flights than UA has on its eastern US- LHR routes. UA typically has only had a revenue premium to LHR from the western US. AA has had a significant revenue premium over UA from eastern US gateways due to AA's stronger position and because AA has had at least some relationship with BA for years - although AA/BA LHR has still been excluded from codesharing.

So, there is a market for service to LGW as MAH (my favorite Swede  Smile) points out. And, having the most flights in a market or to/from a city can very well translate into a revenue premium. So, CO, DL, and NW know they will not become the dominant carrier in London - and their task may become even harder now that they may have their operations spread over multiple airports. They will get some help from AF/KL who will help market the flights in the UK (although they are not big players there), but they also will share in some of the profits which is why they were willing to part with the slots in the first place. The only reason AF/KL would sell their slots at LHR is because they will be able to share DL/NW's revenue (not sure that CO has agreed to revenue sharing); the revenue gain for AF/KL by sharing revenue on a transatlantic flight is greater than what they could operating flights within Europe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos