Yflyer
Topic Author

Smaller Markets With Intercontinental Flights

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:44 am

It goes without saying that the bulk of intercontinental flights are going to be to airports in major cities like JFK, EWR, ORD, and LAX, but I'm curious how many smaller cities have maybe one or two such flights. I specifically said intercontinental rather than international because I wanted to exclude US airports whose only international service is to Mexico or Canada. I'm thinking of things like RDU and it's one daily London flight. I remember my first time flying out of RDU, and seeing that 777 parked at the gate completely dwarfing all the MD-80s and RJs parked at Terminal C.

[Edited 2007-09-24 23:00:29]

by738

RE: Smaller Markets With Intercontinental Flights

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:48 am

NCL to DXB is a small regional airport with its first scheduled intercontinental route.

afitch7881

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:56 am

Hartford BDL-

DL- LAX
US- PHX
F9- DEN
WN- LAS
NW- AMS

In recent years-

AA- LAX
UA- SFO, DEN
HP- LAS
DL- LAS, SLC

kiwiandrew

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:57 am

CHC in New Zealand is a city of between 300 000 to 400 000 people ( depending on which source and definition you take ) and it has daily direct nonstop flights to SIN ( 4536 nm according to Great Circle Mapper ) and a daily onestop CHC-SYD-DXB ( total 7650 nm according to the same source )

san747

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting Afitch7881 (Reply 2):
Hartford BDL-

DL- LAX
US- PHX
F9- DEN
WN- LAS
NW- AMS

In recent years-

AA- LAX
UA- SFO, DEN
HP- LAS
DL- LAS, SLC

Those are transcons, not intercontinental flights.   Note that BDL does have an AMS flight on NW, so it still qualifies in this list.

[Edited 2007-09-24 23:01:31]
Scotty doesn't know...

xtoler

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 am

I think there was a ORF-FRA/FRF rounting at one point in time and I think Delta did it. When I was in Germany, a buddy of mine was talking about flying commercial straight from FRA into ORF. If it was just a MAC flight or chartered, never mind, it doesn't count.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

afitch7881

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am

Duh, I knew that, I am an idiot!

san747

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 5):
I think there was a ORF-FRA/FRF rounting at one point in time and I think Delta did it. When I was in Germany, a buddy of mine was talking about flying commercial straight from FRA into ORF. If it was just a MAC flight or chartered, never mind, it doesn't count.

ORF had/has a flight to England this year. It was for the 400th celebration of the founding of Jamestown.
Scotty doesn't know...

Yflyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Afitch7881 (Reply 2):
Hartford BDL-

DL- LAX
US- PHX
F9- DEN
WN- LAS
NW- AMS

BDL-AMS is a good example, but the rest of those are transcontentintal, not intercontental. What I'm looking for are flights from one continent to another continent.

bsbisland

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 am

I would say Natal in Brazil. There are several cities in Brazil with much more air traffic and doesnt get intercontinental service. TAP flies LIS-NAT 4 or 5 weekly with A310.

vatveng

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 7):
ORF had/has a flight to England this year. It was for the 400th celebration of the founding of Jamestown.

That never actually happened. It was canceled before it started (due to lack of sales) and the few tickets that were sold were refunded.

shuggie

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:46 am

EDI has twice daily to EWR (CO) and once daily to ATL (DL), the ATL service finishes shortly and a JFK route replaces it in the spring. There are no other flights beyond mainland Europe (there may be a couple of charter flights to northern Africa but nothing major).

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 am

• SLC will soon have CDG.
  • CLE has LGW and soon CDG.
  • TPA isn't exactly a small market, but they have LGW.
  • FLL isn't small either, though they're unique in that none of their many intercons are longhauls.
  • Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ScottishLaddie

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting Shuggie (Reply 11):
    EDI has twice daily to EWR (CO) and once daily to ATL (DL), the ATL service finishes shortly and a JFK route replaces it in the spring. There are no other flights beyond mainland Europe (there may be a couple of charter flights to northern Africa but nothing major).

Don't forget seasonal flights to YHM and YYZ on GSM and TS respectively, plus GSM to SSH. Being the busiest airport in Scotland I wouldn't call EDI and particularly small market. With reference to Scotland, ABZ with it's single flight to IAH starting next year would be a more appropriate example.

MCO2BRS

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 am

CO operates EWR-BRS-EWR on a B752, the only true, scheduled intercontinental service IMO out of BRS.

747fan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 am

CVG is another smaller market with intercontinental flights, although it is Delta's #2 hub (mostly an RJ hub). Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Intl. Airport has 5 transatlantic flights: 1X daily 763 to LGW, CDG, FRA and AMS (operated on a seasonal basis, during the summer) in addition to a daily 764 to FCO. They used to have even more TATL service: a 743 to BRU, AF A343 to CDG, and DL to ZRH (codeshared w/ LX). And I may have forgotten a few. Pretty darn good for a city of about 350,000 people and about 2 million in the metro area.
    SLC: (about 180,000 in city, 1.3 million in metro) ,another DL hub, will soon have service to CDG .
    CLT: (about 600,000 in city, 1.5 million in metro) has service on US A330's to LGW and FRA, and service on a LH A330 to MUC.
    MEM: (about 600,000 in city, around 1.3 million in metro) has daily service on NW to AMS, in addition to cargo service on FX MD-11's to STN, FRA, CDG, and many 1-stops via ANC to Asia (NRT, HKG, ICN, etc.) and 1-stop via HNL to SYD.
    SDF: (similar in size to MEM, maybe a little smaller) also has intercontinental cargo service on UPS: MD-11 nonstop to CGN and 763 nonstop to STN. Also, SDF has quite a few 1-stoppers: SDF-PHL-CGN, CDG, EMA on 763's (both 763 and MD-11 to CGN via PHL), 1-stop to SYD via HNL on MD-11, and quite a few SDF-ANC-Asia (NRT, HKG, ICN, etc.) on MD-11's and 747's. In terms of commercial service, SDF is mostly RJ's except for DL MD80's/738's, AA MD80's, NW DC-9's and WN 737's.
    You never excluded cargo service, so I though I might add that too. Sorry if you only meant pax service.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 15):
    and DL to ZRH (codeshared w/ LX).

Pretty sure DL codeshared with SR only, not LX, on that one.
    Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

LTU932

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:08 am

At this time, HAM has:

- DXB-HAM-JFK on EK
    - EWR-HAM on CO
    - YYZ-HAM on TS (which is summer only service and will restart next year in the summer)
    - DXB-HAM on EK Cargo

MAH4546

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:22 am

Using the definition of "smaller" as less than around ~1.5M residents, and also including secondary airports:

Barcelona (Venezuela) has flights to Miami.

Barranquilla (Colombia) has flights to Miami and New York City-JFK.

Bonaire has flights to Amsterdam.

Cayenne has flights to Paris.

Edmonton has flights to London Heathrow.

Fairbanks has seasonal flights to Frankfurt.

Fort Lauderdale has flights to Bogotá, Georgetown, Chiclayo (starting early next year), and Lima.

Fort Myers has flights to Düsseldorf and Munich.

Funchal, Portugal has flights to Caracas.

Halifax has flights to London Heathrow.

Manaus has flights to Miami and Panama City.

Montevideo has flights to Madrid and Miami.

Oakland has flights to Terceira, Azores.

Ottawa has flights to London Heathrow.

Paramaibo has flights to Amsterdam.

Porto, Portugal has flights to Caracas, Newark, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo.

Providence has flights to Ponta Delgada, Azores.

Raleigh has flights to London Gatwick (soon to be London Heathrow).

Riga, Latvia has flights to New York City-JFK.

Tijuana has flights to Tokyo.

Valencia (Venezuela) has flights to Miami.

Venice has flights to Atlanta, New York City-JFK, and Philadelphia.

And, in addition, a lot of African cities would fit this list.
    a.

Viscount724

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:27 am

YYT (population approx. 180,000) was almost certainly the smallest city in North America with scheduled service to Europe (AC's A319 to LHR) until that service ended earlier this month. YHZ isn't very big either (metro area 375,000) and it has daily AC service to LHR, and seasonal Icelandair service to KEF a few times a week.

In the USA, I am guessing that STL and SAN are probably the largest metro areas (both around 3 million) with no scheduled intercontinental flights,and PHX is probably the largest (metro area over 4 million) with only one intercontinental service (BA to LHR).

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:33 am

Surprised Calgary hasn't been mentioned as well....
    Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Yflyer
    Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:33 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
    At this time, HAM has:

Is HAM really that small of a market? It's the second largest city in Germany, with a population of over 1.7 million.

747fan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 16):
    Pretty sure DL codeshared with SR only, not LX, on that one.

My bad, you're right - that was back during the days of Swissair rather than Swiss Int'l. In terms of my aforemention CVG Euro routes, I forgot the former CVG-BRU on a DL 763

emptyarm

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:40 am

What about AGP (Málaga,Spain)-TNG (Tangiers, Morocco)?

Ok, it's only 103 miles but it's 2 small airports in different continents...BTW served by Regional Airlines

skyjet06

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned PDX, with flights to FRA and NRT.

Viscount724

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:12 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 20):
    Surprised Calgary hasn't been mentioned as well....

I didn't consider YYC as meeting the conditions of the original posting, i.e. a smaller city (YYC is close to 1.1 million) wth only one or two intercontinetal flights. YYC has more than two with AC to LHR and FRA and BA to LHR, and if memory correct AC is twice-daily to LHR during the summer. Also Air Transat, Zoom. FlyGlobespan and other low-cost/leisure carriers a few times a week during peak periods.

Tornado82

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 19):
    In the USA, I am guessing that STL and SAN are probably the largest metro areas (both around 3 million) with no scheduled intercontinental flights

Good guesses. SAN, STL, and PIT, in that order are the largest metro areas in the US without intercontinentals...

...Depending how you break it down. ONT is divided out as a separate metro as per the Census, but if you consider them as part of LAX they most certainly have int'l. If not, throw them in the list ahead of SAN.

The smallest in the US with an Intercontinental is FAI with that seasonal European flight.

As far as stateside goes the smallest city with an intercontinental flight would be BDL from what I've found. But I'm open to corrections.

**Raleigh is smaller because the Census separates Raleigh from Durham, since RDU is the namesake airport for the whole metroplex I'll go against Census bureau thoughts and sum Raleigh-Cary and Durham

MCOflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:38 am

MCO with FRA, DUB, and REK via SFB.

Hunter
    Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

LTU932

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 21):
    Is HAM really that small of a market? It's the second largest city in Germany, with a population of over 1.7 million.

It's small in terms of intercontinental flights. We don't get as generous amounts of intercontinental flights as other smaller markets like, e.g. DUS and TXL get. We've had much more intercontinental/transatlantic flights when PA was still around. HAM is mostly a hub/focus city for airlines such as 4U, U2, X3 and AB, and an LH focus city for O&D destinations in Europe.

Yflyer
    Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Skyjet06 (Reply 24):
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned PDX, with flights to FRA and NRT.

I was thinking about PDX with I started this thread, but I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure just how small the metro area was. Having just looked it up there are certianly many cities with smaller metro areas on this list, but Portland may well be noteworthy as one of the smallest city in North America with Service to Asia.

StarGoldLHR

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:01 am

I saw today on Manchester airports website a Salvador (Brazil) - Manchester route...this is a bit obscure.

LOT''s Rzeszow to JFK has to be another.
    So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Adam T.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 3):
    CHC in New Zealand is a city of between 300 000 to 400 000 people ( depending on which source and definition you take ) and it has daily direct nonstop flights to SIN ( 4536 nm according to Great Circle Mapper ) and a daily onestop CHC-SYD-DXB ( total 7650 nm according to the same source )

Does Air New Zealand still operate the seasonal flight between CHC and LAX?

andaman

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 am

In coming winter there will be charters also from smaller Finnish airports to Phuket (HKT) in Thailand, just counted eight airports outside the main hub HEL. Some of these towns are as small as Savonlinna (SVL), with only 28,000 inhabitants.
    These flights are operated by Finnair and Air Finland, both using 757-200, they make tech stops in India or Arab Emirates.
    Thailand sure is booming in Finland!

To the Spanish Canary Islands there are a lot more charters from these small airports, The Canaries are in Africa geographically, so in a way they are intercontinental flights, lasting 6h...
    Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Airdolomiti

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 18):

Venice has flights to Atlanta, New York City-JFK, and Philadelphia.

Correct, plus Dubai (year-round daily EK flight).

With the winter timetable, VCE-JFK goes 5x/week, while PHL and (as of this year) ATL are seasonal services. ATL was 3x/week last winter, but this year it will be suspended as of November 20th, only to resume on May 1st, 2008.

LTU932

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 am

Don't you mean ANC? ANC has seasonal service by DE with a stop in Canada. FAI is I believe no longer served from FRA ever since LH Cargo stopped doing techstops there.

airbazar

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 am

What exactly is a small market? I see a lot of cities listed here that have a greater population than Qatar and Abu Dhabi, or even Dubai or Singapore. Would you consider those small markets? Certainly not Dubai or Singapore.

jetdeltamsy

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Yflyer (Thread starter):
    I'm thinking of things like RDU and it's one daily London flight.

I know that some people choose a connecting flight so that they can run out to smoke before heading across the North Atlantic or the Pacific. People choose RDU to London and HNL to the Far East so they can run outside and get their nicotine. Choosing a smaller city to connect makes getting out and back inside a lot easier in terms of security.

[Edited 2007-09-25 04:31:12]
    Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Viscount724

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):

Don't you mean ANC? ANC has seasonal service by DE with a stop in Canada. FAI is I believe no longer served from FRA ever since LH Cargo stopped doing techstops there.

Yes I forgot about the seasonal DE service FRA-YXY (Whitehorse, Yukon) which continues to ANC, and then returns nonstop ANC-FRA. Some of those flights also served FAI at one time. When that service operates, YXY (population 23,000) is definitely the smallest point in Canada (and North America) with nonstop service from Europe.

View Large View Medium
    Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Connor
    View Large View Medium
    Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sokol Ymeri

jm017

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 19):
    YYT (population approx. 180,000) was almost certainly the smallest city in North America with scheduled service to Europe (AC's A319 to LHR) until that service ended earlier this month. YHZ isn't very big either (metro area 375,000) and it has daily AC service to LHR, and seasonal Icelandair service to KEF a few times a week.

Actually lots of Caribbean cities with services to Europe are smaller than this: St. John's (Antigua), Bridgetown (Barbados), Fort de France (Martinique), Pointe a Pitre (Guadeloupe), Port of Spain (Trinidad) St. George's (Grenada) and Montego Bay (Jamaica).
    "It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

kiwiandrew

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 31):

not for the moment - I would not expect to see it back before the 787-9s start arriving around 2011 ( and even then I am not sure if it will come back )

dstc47

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Knock, in Ireland has transatlantic service to the USA from OCK by FlyGlobespan but it is a village and a relatively small village at that.

Shannon Town is also very small, and it was founded long years after the Airport.

upperdeckfan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:06 pm

S3 flies TFN-CCS and UX does SCQ-CCS
    744,742,741,772,773,762,732,735,738,752,727,717,DC10,DC9,M82,M87,319,320,321,343,346,L1011,CRJ2,CRJ9,E190,ATR42,DSH8,

SANFan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Unless I somehow missed it on someone's post, LAS should qualify... unless maybe they have too many intercontinental cx (with probably VS and KE at the top of the list, plus Maxjet, Condor, BMI, etc.) for inclusion in this discussion.

SAN has had BA's n/s intercontinental service to LON, currently has nothing, but I have a feeling 2008 will see some changes in Lindbergh's status...

bb

TransIsland

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 pm

As far as small airports go (even if not all those markets are small)...

TXL - DL to JFK, CO to EWR
    NAS - BA to LHR, First Choice to MAN
    KEF - Thanks to Icelandair
    I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

NG1Fan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:23 pm

What about Cairns, Australia? Polulation 130,000.

Flights to:
    -CX to HKG
    -JQ to KIX
    -JQ to Nagoya
    -QF to Narita
    -QF to SIN (via DRW)

Does New Guinea count as Intercontinental?

NG1Fan

konrad

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Already mentioned here:

RZE, a provincial city in Poland, population of 160.000, has scheduled seasonal (summer) service to JFK and EWR on LO/763. The only other service is a couple of daily ATR flights to WAW and three Ryanair routes to the U.K./Ireland.

KRK, a larger city of about 800.000, with a small airport serving less than 3 mi pax per year has year-round scheduled service to ORD and seasonal summer service to JFK and EWR (again LO/763).

davidkunzVIE

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:18 pm

You could include all the holiday flights from Europe to northern Africa. SSH or HRG don't really have large home markets.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 37):
    Yes I forgot about the seasonal DE service FRA-YXY (Whitehorse, Yukon) which continues to ANC, and then returns nonstop ANC-FRA.

See my TR here: VIE-FRA-YXY-ANC-FRA-VIE (pics) (by DavidkunzVIE Mar 14 2007 in Trip Reports)
     Wink
    DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

Adam T.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 44):

Flights to:
    -CX to HKG
    -JQ to KIX
    -JQ to Nagoya
    -QF to Narita
    -QF to SIN (via DRW)

Does New Guinea count as Intercontinental?

NG1Fan

Also the CO flight to Guam.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 39):
    Quoting Adam T. (Reply 31):

not for the moment - I would not expect to see it back before the 787-9s start arriving around 2011 ( and even then I am not sure if it will come back )

Oh okay....when did NZ stop operating the route? I seem to remember they still did it when I was in New Zealand two years ago though I could be wrong.

tsnamm

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 44):

Flights to:
    -CX to HKG
    -JQ to KIX
    -JQ to Nagoya
    -QF to Narita
    -QF to SIN (via DRW)

and CO to GUM too!

stationmanager

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:25 pm

a few in Spain:

ALC-BOG by AV