PA110
Topic Author

WTF.. Boy Survives Flight Hanging On Wing?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:25 am

Did a search and didn't come back with anything on this... This is beyond bizarre, to the point of incredible. The news report cannot be accurate. How is this possible?

A 15-year-old boy from the Urals suffered acute frostbite after riding the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a two-hour flight from Perm to Moscow, Russian radio station Mayak reported on Monday.

After clinging on for the entire 1300-kilometer (808-mile) flight to Vnukova Airport, the boy, named Andrei, collapsed onto the tarmac. His arms and legs were so severely frozen that rescuers were at first unable to remove his coat and shoes, the radio station said.

The airport did not confirm the report. "We have no information on this," the Vnukovo press service told RIA Novosti.

However, Moscow's air and water transport control department said the radio's claim was true.

For full story, see http://www.en.rian.ru/russia/20070924/80694850.html
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

lrdc9

RE: WTF.. Boy Survives Flight Hanging On Wing?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:30 am

How would you be able to hold on to a slick, apparently icy surface for two hours. That does not make any sense. Furthermore, if he was so icy, wouldn't his fingers stop holding onto what ever they were . finally, don't you think a pax or pa would see him? I'll bet you $1000 (monopoly money), that this is totally false. That's pretty much impossible. You're right WTF?  scratchchin   worried 
Just say NO to scabs.

skyguyB727

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 am

It can't be true. The guy would have passed out and died from hypoxia and then been blown off the wing from the wind.

Stitch

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 am

More BS Soviet Propaganda.  Smile

They have to one-up the folks who fly inside the wheel-wells, so they claim they can do it on the outside of the plane.  rotfl 

ikramerica

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 am

This is the same story, translated incorrectly, about the boy in the wheel well of the wing for 2 hours. He didn't "ride on the wing" but "in the wing."

There is already a thread about this...  Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Stitch

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 4):
This is the same story, translated incorrectly, about the boy in the wheel well of the wing for 2 hours. He didn't "ride on the wing" but "in the wing."

That is kind of what I was thinking - had to be "in the wing" somehow (or, wingbox, in reality).

KPDX

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 am

rotfl 

Just

rotfl 
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

OPNLguy

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:05 am

"MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - A 15-year-old boy from the Urals suffered acute frostbite after riding the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a two-hour flight from Perm to Moscow, Russian radio station Mayak reported on Monday."

Comrades, I think we have a classic case of "something lost in the translation" here.

While some have construed "riding the wing" as being the wing's upper surface (an obviously impossible situation for the many reasons already given), I suspect the original situation was actually one where the boy was attempting to ride in the main gear well. Some may have erroneously conclude that "the wing" of the 737 runs from wingtip-to-wingtip, straight through the fuselage, and be oblivious that the main gear well even exists.

Not that there's much room inside a main gear well, but then again, it was a 15 year-old boy. Was he a small one? The tireburst screens on the 737s disappeared about a year or two after the 733s came out, so maybe there was just enough room for this teen to avoid getting killed by the retracting gear, not that the cold and hypoxia did him any good.

[Edited 2007-09-26 01:06:51]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OA260

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:09 am

It did sound a bit off the wall but nothing surprises me these days. Thanks for the laugh LOL....

Boston92

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 am

LOL for real on this one.

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 1):
don't you think a pax or pa would see him?

Haha
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

SFORunner

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 1):
finally, don't you think a pax or pa would see him?

Of course!

Toast

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 am

Definitely a mistranslation. The French and Spanish versions both say "inside the wing", which I can only presume was supposed to mean in the main gear well between the wings. Unless he rode in the wing's fuel tanks?  scratchchin 

Still hard to believe, though. How much free space can there be in a 737 gear well?
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

OPNLguy

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 11):
How much free space can there be in a 737 gear well?

Not much....

http://www.b737.org.uk/wheelwell.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ikramerica

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
While some have construed "riding the wing" as being the wing's upper surface (an obviously impossible situation for the many reasons already given), I suspect the original situation was actually one where the boy was attempting to ride in the main gear well.

There is no reason to guess at anything. There is ALREADY A THREAD ON THIS and the boy was inside the wheel well of the 737, one of the main gear (not the nose).

The OP said he did a search, I pointed out there was another thread about it already, so he didn't search that hard...  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Boston92

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 13):
The OP said he did a search, I pointed out there was another thread about it already, so he didn't search that hard...

The story he found is different than the "other" thread...regardless if the story was wrong.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

jerion

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:58 pm

This boy is VERY lucky to be alive.

http://www.russiatoday.ru/features/news/14724

http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4809/

The youngster had managed to sneak into a niche in the jet’s wing without being noticed by airport authorities in Perm airport in Russia's Volga district

http://newsfromrussia.com/society/stories/25-09-2007/97676-boeing-0

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...ve-boy-in-jet-wing-89520-19842112/

Looks like he might be losing both of his hands. The last link mentions the boy stowed away inside the landing gear of a Boeing 373. The other links mention he rode out the flight in a niche in the jet's wing and a few articles mention he was 'clinging' to the wing.

I wonder if we'll ever really know the exact story...
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

remcor

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting SFORunner (Reply 10):

Of course!

Excellent photo.

"Who would I fight if I could fight anyone? Shatner. I'd fight William Shatner."
-Tyler Durden

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting Jerion (Reply 15):
The youngster had managed to sneak into a niche in the jet’s wing

Maybe this will open up a new niche market for those desiring a new type of aeronautical challenge.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ElpinDAB

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 17):
Maybe this will open up a new niche market for those desiring a new type of aeronautical challenge.

Silly
Maybe along with mega-extreme skydiving without a parachute.
I actually heard a story, from Russia too, where somebody did survive a fall from 30,000 ft...

Amazing that the wing niche kid came out alive too! Seems too often that you hear of people dying while attempting this.

HowSwedeitis

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
Reply 7

I agree.

Now, if it WAS on the wing.... that'd be a case for the MythBusters!!  Wink
Heja Sverige!!

MATURRO727

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:37 pm

WOW thats impressive

he is really lucky to be alive cause if he was in the main gear the temperature out there probably could have been something like -20º to -30ºC because if it was a 2 hour flight, then the altitude must have been something like 30.000ft. Besides how can you breath sufficient amount of oxygen at that altitude????
cause if i'm not wrong the 733 doesn't have main gear doors. or at least doors that cover up the tire itself.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © T.Y. Bob LEE

Regards.

PA110
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:23 pm

The OP said he did a search, I pointed out there was another thread about it already, so he didn't search that hard...

Save the glib comments dude. I searched terms such as stowaway, runaway, Russian child, Perm, Vnukovo and nothing came up. Where is this other thread?
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

OHLHD

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Must have strong arms. Big grin

If this was possible I am sure we had seen it in a Bruce Willis movie already.

kaddyuk

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting MATURRO727 (Reply 20):
cause if i'm not wrong the 733 doesn't have main gear doors. or at least doors that cover up the tire itself.

Doors or not, the main wheel well is outside of the pressure hull. On a B747, A340 or any other jet you wish to pick, he'd have suffered a similar fate... Very cold and very little in the way of oxygen. One possibility is that if you look where the plane was departing (Urals) it is already very cold and the boy was probably wearing thick clothing (in comparison to the people who try and ride from africa wearing nothing but their thin cotton clothes.

The wheel well is also a VERY scary place to be. Can you imagine for a young boy how terrifying it would be to have the wheels coming in towards you. They wouldn't be spinning but would definatly be making a racket. Heck, i shit myself everytime i'm in the wheel well and someone switches the electric pump on.

Interesting read non the less...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

georgebush

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Ture or not, this give a new definition to "Low Cost Carrier"
Al Gore invented global warming.

APChigoSea

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Believe it or not, there is more room than realized in the main gear well of a 737. I have been in the well many times to repair fasteners and structure around the openings that the tires actually sit in when retracted. There are no doors which open and close and the wheels tuck into the belly with the tires actually closing the well off from the outside. In between the wheels is enough space for a slender person to fit. However if the story is true it is amazing. As stated in several posts in the thread, tempature and lack of pressurization is reasons for death to be likely.
There are also several pumps, the transmission and rotating shafts to drive the flaps,several control cables(including those which control the landing gear) a very hot bleed air duct from the apu(which would only be switched off during taxi or right before take off) and other equipment which would pose hazards for injury. If this story is true,again I say it is truly amazing the boy is alive. Even the space where I think someone would fit has a hydraulic pump with several lines around it. Two hours in that well just when I am working in it can be painful if I am not careful about to much contact with the always present buildup of Skydrol which irritates my skin and softens the sole of my work boots.
There is no such thing as "Its just a little crack."

InbarD

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:58 pm

May be the kid is like superman or something. Big grin

But seriously if that is real that's pretty unbelievable, as he probably would of froze and he probably would of suffered from hypoxia and died.

mika

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 12):
Quoting Toast (Reply 11):
How much free space can there be in a 737 gear well?

Not much....

It's pretty easy to understand how incredibly complex the systems of a modern airliner is when seeing all that stuff inside of just the wheel well! That's more than just a simple gear down/up actuator in those 737 MLG wheel wells, that's for sure.

Holy crap.

Chrisjdurber

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Best end this thread, if BA think people can survive on the outside of the aircraft they'll probably.................

WORLD TRAVELLER MINUS ' Feel The Wind In Your Hair....unlimited legroom....selection of iced snacks.......'

Cj

ogre727

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 21):

Save the glib comments dude. I searched terms such as stowaway, runaway, Russian child, Perm, Vnukovo and nothing came up. Where is this other thread?

What is with this forum that some people think it is a horrible crime to post something that has been posted before? You know, some people (like me) do not enter and read each thread everyday so we miss discussions. And it is more fun to have a close to live discussion on a topic than just to read what some other people wrote I don't know, 2 weeks ago.

To the "There is already a thread on this" police force in this forum, please, chill a little bit. If you have already read it, then move to another thread, there are many many of them.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

soon7x7

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 pm

Last Sunday Mahmood Ahmadinejad flew into New York directly over my head as I was on my sailboat, but surprisingly, he being a man of stature I was taken aback to see him seated out on the port wing on his 747SP waving to the Long Islanders as they were decending into JFK's class Bravo...How fortunate I felt I was to be the first one to see him....

aogdesk

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Oh Miss....(as in F/A) ...i just noticed that there's a boy out on the wing. (Flight Attendant bends down and peers out of window) "Oh, thats just Billy. He's always there......."

OzTech

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 21):
Save the glib comments dude.

I agree mate... Unfortunately some on this site are not to accomodating of us "mere mortals" who were not blessed with the superpowers some of our peers appear to have..

As those of us in the airplane mechanic community say.. "those who have never made a mistake have never swung a spanner"

99% of posters on here forgive, forget and chose not to publically run people down...

Keep posting and do not let the 1% put you off....
No defect too big, no defect too small, nothing in the log --- No defect at all !!

beechnut

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 23):
Doors or not, the main wheel well is outside of the pressure hull. On a B747, A340 or any other jet you wish to pick, he'd have suffered a similar fate... Very cold and very little in the way of oxygen. One possibility is that if you look where the plane was departing (Urals) it is already very cold and the boy was probably wearing thick clothing (in comparison to the people who try and ride from africa wearing nothing but their thin cotton clothes.

There is a possibility that the hypothermia in fact helped him survive as it would significantly reduce his oxygen demand. There have been cases of people surviving potential drownings quite a long time in the water for that reason, their body temp dropped so much that their oxygen consumption went down as well.

Still, the odds of surviving in such conditions are minimal. If the lack of oxygen didn't kill him immediately, the hypothermia would have eventually. If the story is true, he is one very lucky individual, he should go out and buy a lottery ticket.

Beech

SkyexRamper

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:34 pm

yeah......mmmmmm......the kid what be dead...sooo..wtf is right.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

deltadc9

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:41 pm

Yes, the search engine on this site being so effective and all.....  

Quoting Ogre727 (Reply 29):
To the "There is already a thread on this" police force in this forum, please, chill a little bit. If you have already read it, then move to another thread, there are many many of them.

What he said!

Quoting APChigoSea (Reply 25):
a very hot bleed air duct from the apu

Could this have been a factor in him not freezing solid?

[Edited 2007-09-26 16:46:06]
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

APChigoSea

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 35):
Could this have been a factor in him not freezing solid?

Not being a pilot, I will try to answer accuratly : The apu duct is not in use in flight itself. It mainly supplies air to start the main engines on the ground. In flight the apu is usually shut down unless there is a system failure and it is used to generate electricity for the plane. Both main engines are capable of producing their own electrical power, so far as I know it would be a rare occurance for it to be running in flight. When on the ground however,it supplies power to the craft when the main engines are off. When performing functional tests on the apu and bleed air duct(required during most inspections at work) the bleed air duct is checked for leaks at all the boots and clamps that join the duct sections together. There are heat resistant blankets around the duct where it runs throught the lower fuselage in the aft cargo bay behind the sidewall liner. In the wheel well it is in between the two keel beams and is not wrapped in insulation. If the boy was in the well, any contact with it while the apu was running would have burnt his clothing or skin while starting the main engines.

PYP757

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:37 am

What is with this forum that some people think it is a horrible crime to post something that has been posted before? You know, some people (like me) do not enter and read each thread everyday so we miss discussions. And it is more fun to have a close to live discussion on a topic than just to read what some other people wrote I don't know, 2 weeks ago.To the "There is already a thread on this" police force in this forum, please, chill a little bit. If you have already read it, then move to another thread, there are many many of them.

Great reply! Couldn't have said it better myself. I think some people take this far too seriously, and spend far too much time in these forums!

Orion737

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 am

Was he trying to deliver a box of Milk Tray???? haha

B6JFKH81

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:48 am

How is it possible that he didn't get hypoxia? I cannot recall a 737 doing a flight that long under 12,000ft LOL! This is really puzzling me.  hypnotized 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

soon7x7

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting APChigoSea (Reply 36):

I just learned last week that in some cases APU on 737's are mandated during flight to keep a second generator on line in the event that one of the generators in an engine has crapped out. Apparently it's part of (MEL) minimum equipment list decision to fly protocol. Regardless...nothing is hanging on to the exterior of an airliner at 530 MPH that isn't on with fasteners.!...can't even get the paint to stay on!

RIHNOSAUR

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting SFORunner (Reply 10):
Of course!

Five stars for this picture.....  Smile  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup  I love the old twilight zone!!! and this is a classic episode..very appropriate for this thread!!!!

maybe only you saw it!!!

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 12):

The image in the link above shows the wheel well from a good angle....However does some one have access to a 3D cad image or schematic or something that could illustrate the remaining space on the wheel well ONCE the wheels have been retracted??? (with dimensions of course...)

I am just baffled that there is enough room for an X year old to fit in once the wheel is closed....+ how the heck did he initially position himself in there before the wheel was contracted.... at best (it seems to me ...could be wrong though) there is enough volume to hold a small person at a position right above the wheel once retracted.....which then means he had to some how hold on for however long until the wheel closed in...and be in a position where he would not have been partially crushed by the incoming wheel...
NOT saying its impossible ...but its these small details that make all the difference..

however.. would really like more clearly to see how this works out:

Believe it or not, there is more room than realized in the main gear well of a 737.

In between the wheels is enough space for a slender person to fit.

Not saying i disbelieve you but from a design perspective...why would Boeing leave such empty volume...doesn't seem like an optimum design if that is the case....

I REALLY would like to see some hard numbers on this.. to me what is amazing is the positioning volumetric aspect of this that is amazing....

the hole "its cold" ...and there is little oxygen is hard to swallow ..but seems more doable...IMHO
Just as a reminder.....(I am big into mountaineering an Mt climbing) people do climb everest without oxygen....(~8800 m ~29000ft) and have spent a night up there WITHOUT oxygen...so this can be done....of course they are insulated and have fancy down suits...but then again the temperature is far lower for longer periods of time...

any how the whole environmental conditions don't surprise me as much as the logistics of how he managed to get in there and stay in there....and come out of there...
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting APChigoSea (Reply 36):
If the boy was in the well, any contact with it while the apu was running would have burnt his clothing or skin while starting the main engines.

This presumes thats the boy got into the gear well while the aircraft was still at the gate/hardstand. I kind of doubt that, since there are still ramp personnel around, not to mention the pushback driver and wingwalker, and certainly somebody would have seen him.

I think it's more likely that, once the aircraft had left the gate area and was holding short of a runway etc., the boy (having gotten through a fence elsewhere on the airport) came up from behind the aircraft and climbed in to the gear well.

mnik101

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:44 am

My guess is that the boy was in the wheel well, and thethe reportes probably got the information mixed up.

GeorgeJetson

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:55 am

I agree. I once started a new thread and it was deleted by the A.net police supposetly because "There was already a thread on this". However, I never did find where this other thread was and there probably wasn't one. So what's the big deal about posting a duplicate thread anyway? Is it a crime?
Meet George Jetson

APChigoSea

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 41):
NOT saying its impossible ...but its these small details that make all the difference..

By saying more room than realized, I still agree that there is not an abundance of room. As far as hand holds,there are plenty as there is an extensive amount of plumping, structure, equipment and mounts that can be handheld as I use some of these to climb into the well during maintaince(lthough carefully and slowly in order not to damage the aircraft or myself).

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 40):
just learned last week that in some cases APU on 737's are mandated during flight to keep a second generator on line in the event that one of the generators in an engine has crapped out. Apparently it's part of (MEL) minimum equipment list decision to fly protocol. Regardless...nothing is hanging on to the exterior of an airliner at 530 MPH that isn't on with fasteners.!...can't even get the paint to stay on!

I also agree if he was on the wing he would not have remained there. Find it interesting about the mandated apu issue during flight. Would be curious if it is an over the water or mountains specific sort of thing.

[Edited 2007-09-26 21:00:22]

GeorgeJetson

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Jerion (Reply 15):
Boeing 373

What is a Boeing 373? Was that the predecessor of the Boeing 377  airplane  Stratocruiser? LOL  Wink
Meet George Jetson

soon7x7

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting APChigoSea (Reply 45):

If you are running two engines and either one fails therefore killing off that engines generator then apparently it is required to fire up the apu in flight to act as the redundent back up generator.This measure can actually be taken before the flight,knowing one engine has a faulty generator, as it falls into the MEL requirements.

sstsomeday

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 4):

This is what I suspected. It seems to be a case of inaccurate reporting, fueled by an over-active imagination on the part of the reporter. Incredible, still, that the boy survived (so far. I wonder if he will live).
I come in peace

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting GeorgeJetson (Reply 44):
So what's the big deal about posting a duplicate thread anyway? Is it a crime?

It IS a crime. If you do it more than three times, you get a life sentence in front of a firing squad.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail