LVICS
Topic Author

Question Regard JFK-Hong Kong Flight Timing

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I honestly don't know the answer. So far, I've only flown eastbound longhaul from Europe to South America, and all those flights have been overnight (at the present time there are some daylight flights from Europe to SouthAm, too). Here's the question: I'm scheduled to fly JFK-Hong Kong, departing at 10.15 and arriving at 14.00, one day later. Is this a redeye or a daylight flight?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

lailaiyyz

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 pm

My un-educated guess.. is that, since the Flight usually flys the Polar 1 route, and say if you are travelling in the winter time, you see more starlight than daylight. And if you fly in the summer, you see more daylight than starlight.

Since you depart at 10am and arrive at 2pm.. you probably get a bit more daylight than starlight..

Your eyes will be red no matter what after a 15+ hours of flight.. good luck!  Smile

Asiaflyer

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting LailaiYYZ (Reply 1):
Since you depart at 10am and arrive at 2pm.. you probably get a bit more daylight than starlight..

Sounds very correct.
You basically fly in the middle of the day all the way, local time, so should be a daylight flight.
You never see the night, but have to switch date as you pass the dateline on the way.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,

Zentraedi

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:25 pm

Not related to daylight, but if you're in economy on that flight, you might have trouble sleeping on the way back. I've taken the ORD-HKG flight a few times and on the return trip we always had about a dozen families bringing back newly adopted baby girls.

rjpieces

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:07 am

Are you taking the new morning CX JFK-HKG flight?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

LVICS
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:41 am

Thank you for your answers.

I have just realized I made a mistake in my original post: when you travel from Europe to South America you fly westbound!!  boggled 
Now, when you fly from NY to HK, do you fly easbound or westbound?  scratchchin 

Quoting Asiaflyer (Reply 2):
You never see the night, but have to switch date as you pass the dateline on the way.

Yes, I was aware about the date thing, but wasn't sure about "seeing the night" while flying.

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 3):
Not related to daylight, but if you're in economy on that flight, you might have trouble sleeping on the way back. I've taken the ORD-HKG flight a few times and on the return trip we always had about a dozen families bringing back newly adopted baby girls.

Oops... No idea about that, thanks!

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 4):
Are you taking the new morning CX JFK-HKG flight?

Yes, it is CX. I don't know whether it's a new flight. It's scheduled for next April on a 777. Yes, I know, it's a lot of time from now, but I'm anxious  hyper 

timz

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting LVICS (Thread starter):
JFK-Hong Kong, departing at 10.15 and arriving at 14.00,

Except right near the endpoints your longitude en route will probably always be between the longitudes of NY and HKG. So your local time will always be between 1015 and 1400-- so all daylight, in April.

CX Flyboy

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting LVICS (Reply 5):
Yes, it is CX. I don't know whether it's a new flight.

It is iindeed a new flight. First one leaves HKG November 15th and is the first longhaul route for our new 777-300ERs, the first of which is due for delivery a day and a half from now.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 7):
First one leaves HKG November 15th and is the first longhaul route for our new 777-300ERs,

What kind of PTV / AVOD and seat width are Cathay getting on the 300ER for that long 16 hour flight to and from Hong Kong? How is the transpacific service these days with CX? Are most people happy with the experience?

XXXX10

RE: Question Regard JFK-Hong Kong Flight Timing

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 am

I would imagine that flying in April you (close to the equinox) flying over the arctic circle you would experiance mostly daylight but some darkness as you go further north. The same journey in July would be all daylight and in December all Night -time

timz

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting XXXX10 (Reply 9):
some darkness as you go further north.

Draw a "triangle" on the earth-- the meridian thru NY, from the equator to the pole, and the meridian thru HKG, from the equator to the pole, and the equator between the two meridians (the shorter arc, not the one thru the Indian Ocean). As long as you stay in that triangle you'll get no darkness in April.

CX Flyboy

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 8):
What kind of PTV / AVOD and seat width are Cathay getting on the 300ER for that long 16 hour flight to and from Hong Kong? How is the transpacific service these days with CX? Are most people happy with the experience?

Can't say I know what seat width the seats will have. This will not only be the first 777-300ER but also the first 777 in the new cabin configuration. As for PTVs, obviously there are, and there is now AVOD in all classes as well, which should please everyone. CX still provides a top quality service and most people must be happy with it because our flights are almost always full to everywhere!!

sunrisevalley

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:56 am

Quoting LVICS (Reply 5):
Now, when you fly from NY to HK, do you fly easbound or westbound? scratchchin

Depending on the winds aloft it could be either. Usually westbound but eastbound is possible. I watch from time to time the track of CX831 and CO99 out of NYC to HKG on Flightstat.com and flightaware .com. The initial heading usually tells you wish way they plan to fly it.
I remember one day when one carrier was going one way and the other, the other way.  scratchchin 

LVICS
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:11 am

Thank you all for your answers. So it will be daylight all time.
I'll try to take a nap... if possible, a long one... it'll be sixteen hours on board!!!  eek