FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Flyglobespan - The Beginning Of The End?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:31 am

After months and months of major delays, poor passenger feedback and being told by JFK "not to bother anymore",
Flyglobespan has just announced it will be permanently closing it's MAN base.

This comes just a couple of weeks after announcing that STN will also close , along with ABZ.

My thoughts are with the flight deck/cabin crew that will be looking elsewhere for jobs,

This doesn't look good, maybe things have just gone too far for GSM now??

bennett123

RE: Flyglobespan - The Beginning Of The End?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:52 am

http://www.flyglobespan.com/vacancies.asp

Still recruiting in Glasgow.

Sauchiehall Street must be pricey compared to an out of town location.

Orion737

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:05 am

I think their long haul expansion was a mistake. They should have stuck with the bread and butter sun routes to Europe and Canaries.

nighthawk

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Thread starter):
This comes just a couple of weeks after announcing that STN will also close , along with ABZ.

GSM will not be basing an aircraft over the winter at ABZ, however one will be based next summer once again. So its not exactly a base closure.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 2):
I think their long haul expansion was a mistake. They should have stuck with the bread and butter sun routes to Europe and Canaries.

The long-haul expansion was too much too soon. They spread the fleet out too much and tried to operate too many bases at once. Also the decision to send their 767s off to India and lease in some aircraft at the last minute didnt help them! The reliability of the leased aircraft was what caused the problems.

[Edited 2007-09-26 18:35:35]

bennett123

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:44 am

From 1 B737 in 2003 to 14 B737 3 B757 and 4 B767 in 2007 is too fast IMO.

by738

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:53 am

Talk about scare mongering. There is a full program planned for next summer with alterations to the long haul program. Its always been GSMs philosophy to drop routes that underperform. Use it or lose it and they lost it, albeit partly due to poor reliability. GSM are far from over. Beginning of the end ...indeed. The sorthaul program runs well and is extremely profitable. Also to rember 787s on order and will be in the first group of airlines to get them.

HUYfan

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:59 am

They should have concentrated on EDI and GLA. ABZ is possible, but if bmibaby can't make money at MME, what made GSM think they could? I don't see the MME base lasting past next summer.

Regards

Mike

MAN23R

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 am

ive heard they're closing their MAN-CPT route, Thomsonfly might be taking over the route............

debonair

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:18 am

maybe things have just gone too far for GSM now??

Yes, but the idea to offer low-cost trans-atlantic flights was just great!
It seems to me, that GSM will change a lot in the future- maybe too late, e.g. the "NEW Economy Class".

Back in the days, I think the service was too complicated... offering different classes on different planes, different a/c configurations etc.!

Back to the basic, what will be GSM's fleet for winter? I am guessing:
both B757 will return to Iceland, B767ER EI-DOF/-DMJ back to NEOS, G-CEOD & G-CEFG for Air India, G-CDPT will stay in fleet for long-haul to Canada/USA...

Flyglobespan has just announced it will be permanently closing it's MAN base.

...but the flight to toronto will continue throughout winter. Any chance GSM will re-start the long-haul biz in 2008 from other bases?

BestWestern

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:20 am

From the very beginning I said that GSM were spreading themselves too thinly (GLAGAZ will know how much I annoyed him on this)... Looks like now they are beginning to focus on scotland.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

gilesdavies

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 am

I would not call this the beginning of the end!

I would call this "once bitten, twice shy!"

FlyGlobeSpan tried expanding too soon and too quickly, and are now learning the lesson for themselves after getting their fingers burnt.

It would seem to me they are going back to their grass routes of providing a LCC to Scotland, which is what they orginally started out as... They should still continue Long Haul services, but produce a realistic timetable and have a back up plan when an aircraft goes tech!

I think this is the right decision...

Does this mean LPL-JFK and LPL-YYZ will not continue next year? I hope they do continue, as next year Liverpool will be 2008 European city of culture. So is likely to pull in a lot of international visitors.

Comeflywithme

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):
Looks like now they are beginning to focus on scotland.

Yes, where they should never have ventured from in the first place.

Quoting BY738 (Reply 5):
Use it or lose it and they lost it

I don't blame them for not using it. How can you expect some people on their only holiday of the year earned through hard graft use such an unreliable service.

RickYHM

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:02 am

Interesting, I have been told that STN is closing because of all of the problems they are having there generated by STN management. They will just do Gatwick.

The have MAN / YHM on sale until 21MAY08.

They apparently told YHM management that they would start their new summer service out of YHM May 1st with three flights per day. They are talking about more non-stop flights apposed to what they did this summer and having the aircraft stop at one or more other destinations. There are rumour going around YHM that Flyglobespan may have as many as 6 flight per day out of YHM

Another rumour is that they are looking to make YHM their North American base.

I know that they are just rumour, but once in a while they turn out to be true.

Flyglobespan was very happy with YHM this summer (not a rumour). The planes went out almost full-to-full. Way more than they expected! Their cost of operating out of YHM was about a ¼ of what it would have been out of YYZ. YHM is expanding the departure area by 800 passenger, more ramp area especially around the international area and more improvements/expansion of the international arrivals/customs area based on what they where told by Flyglobespan plans for the summer of 2008.

It seems like when an airlines has problems, people start talking about their demise.

Humberside

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 2):
I think their long haul expansion was a mistake.

I dont think it was the long haul, just the pace of it. Their SFB operation did fine last year

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 4):
From 1 B737 in 2003 to 14 B737 3 B757 and 4 B767 in 2007 is too fast IMO.

Part of the problem as far as long haul is concerned was that they had to replace the entire Air Transat programme for Globespan Holidays. Maybe they needed to try and subcontract some of that work out to someone like TCX or MYT as happens with Canadian Affair (now owned by Air Transat). LPL-JFK as well didnt help matters

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 3):
Also the decision to send their 767s off to India and lease in some aircraft at the last minute didnt help them!

Bet the money was nice though

The reliability of the leased aircraft was what caused the problems.

Bad planning to a certain extent. GSM shouldnt have released their long haul programe until they had secured reliable aircraft to perform it. Though to be fair to them they had a lot of bad luck as well

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 6):
I don't see the MME base lasting past next summer.

Hope that isnt the case. They've got a chance to build a nice little niche base with little direct competition.

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 10):
Does this mean LPL-JFK and LPL-YYZ will not continue next year?

LPL-JFK is almost certainly gone. GSM's reputation is s**t (to be blunt) in the LPL market. Also didnt helpm they couldnt offer any onward connections at JFK. LPL-YHM maybe able to survive with the support of Globespan's long standing Canadian passengers.

Will be interesting to see GSM's Canadian operation next summer. STN is probbaly gone. Hopefully most of the regional flights will continue. Maybe frequency reduction on MAN and GLA-YHM. And I qwonder if YYC/YVR will continue

I think GSM, are doing the right thing now - they need to contract, regroup and let things settle down. They've made a cock up of a lot of routes and need to refocus on what they are good at. Then, once they have improved their reputation, look at expanding again
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

jwb2

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:27 am

Yes GSM haven't had the best of years have they. Liveing close to LPL I had so much hope in GSM and was excited about the new JFK service and also Toronto. I think it was that they expanded too quickly and a cause of bad management.

highpeaklad

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:41 am

Anyone know where this is sourced?

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

highpeaklad

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 am

PS just looked at their website for situations vacant. They are not recruiting any cabin crew , but do have a vacancies for their busy land and coaching operations !
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

dstc47

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 pm

The most interesting question is what repeat business they will get, given their much damaged reputation due to delay and cancellation this year.

gkirk

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 13):
Hope that isnt the case. They've got a chance to build a nice little niche base with little direct competition.

Apart from easyJet at NCL and Jet2 at NCL and LBA  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:32 pm

I've heard that MAN-CPT is not going ahead also, which is a shame as it was a good route for MAN and globespan.

I came across this which is rather worrying though, especially being referred to as "fireball" by the engineers!

http://www.cabincrew.com/ccnetwork/forum_posts.asp?TID=25720

gkirk

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 19):
I've heard that MAN-CPT is not going ahead also, which is a shame as it was a good route for MAN and globespan.

Blaming it on the South African authorities, but poor sales were as much to blame

georgebush

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Bit off topic, but does anyone know why one of their planes (767 i believe) was in AKL on 09 Sept?
Al Gore invented global warming.

gkirk

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 21):
Bit off topic, but does anyone know why one of their planes (767 i believe) was in AKL on 09 Sept?

Pre-delivery from Air New Zealand

777ER
Crew

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 4):
and 4 B767 in 2007 is too fast IMO.

Another B763 has just recently joined their fleet, ex NZ

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 21):

Ex NZ B763ER about to depart for its new career
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

BHD

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:01 pm

For whats it worth I travelled on GSM from BFS-SFB this summer and service and exerpience was fantastic.

W

chrisnh

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I hope this is a wake-up call for other small carriers seeing sugar plums dancing before them when Open Skies becomes reality. A critical mass of aircraft is needed to spell the ones that go down for tech problems. I believe that was what gave this carrier a black eye with respect to Boston and New York.

Message to wannabes on both sides of the Atlantic: Don't go get yourself a couple of 767s or 757s or A330s and think you're going to launch transatlantic service and NOT get people mad when you strand them in a city for several days because you have no plane or crew to move them.

Chris in NH

RickYHM

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 17):
The most interesting question is what repeat business they will get, given their much damaged reputation due to delay and cancellation this year.

In the Hamilton/Toronto area there has been relatively little news about the problems with Flyglobespan in the past 2 or 3 months. Other than the problems in the beginning with an engine problem with one aircraft and some of the flight being late, it has been quite.

As too maintenance, are not 2 of the planes wet leased from Icelandic Airlines? If so, are they not making sure their planes are properly maintained?

dstc47

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Plenty mainly very negative comments in UK & Ireland.

Have a look at the tone of comments on
http://www.airlinequality.com/

mattfalcus

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 pm

It wasn't that bmibaby couldn't make money at MME, it was that the new boss wanted to expand his home airport of BHX, which is where the planes went. bmibaby actually had healthy loads (and presumably yields) at MME.

FlyGlobespan have announced next summer at MME they'll base the 2nd plane for longer, and have a few new routes. I don't think Nice and Pula performed too well this summer, so they might not be run next year.

GLAGAZ

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):
From the very beginning I said that GSM were spreading themselves too thinly (GLAGAZ will know how much I annoyed him on this)... Looks like now they are beginning to focus on scotland.

I don't recall this  Smile

I will always defend GSM when it comes to threads like this as they are the only airline to try and be a Scottish national carrier. The STN base could have worked had they used something other than the 736. Flights to Cyprus and TFS just don't work on that aircraft. TFS, LCA and ATH would should have done well. Their LON-Canada flights should also have been conentrated on 1 London airport. STN being the obvious one.

The other English expansion should not have taken place. It seems they have realised their mistake and will hopefully go back to basics for next year.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:40 am

here's to hoping, i'd heard they will focus on LGW now, is that true?

gkirk

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 30):
here's to hoping, i'd heard they will focus on LGW now, is that true?

Hope not.

They should concentrate on GLA and EDI. With a smaller summer presence at ABZ.
Globespan should also stop all these flights to YHM and bring back TS for these UK-Canada flights.
Cut back to 1 long haul for the time being, GLA-SFB on 767, operate 6 x weekly, which would allow a day for maintenance or catch up any lengthy delays.

Therefore, (armchair CEO time):
ABZ: 2 x 73G based (summer only, possibly 1 based during winter)
EDI: All the 736s + 2 x 73G based
GLA: All 738s and 1 x 767

Lease 1/2 767s to Air India for the time being. Retire all 733s and return 757s to Icelandair/leasor

gooner

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 31):
Globespan should also stop all these flights to YHM and bring back TS for these UK-Canada flights.

Why would TS need to have anything to do with Globespan being they now own Canadian Affair ?

gkirk

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Gooner (Reply 32):
Why would TS need to have anything to do with Globespan being they now own Canadian Affair ?

Whoops  Embarrassment
Perhaps someone like Skyservice then  Wink

gooner

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 33):
Whoops

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic I was just trying to make a pertinant point

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:42 am

Skyservice should be busy enough with their own routes, one would hope!!

shuggie

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 17):

We have a company policy that no employee is allowed to fly with FlyGlobespan on a business related flight, despite them being one of the few airlines to have a base at EDI! We're only a small company and I doubt they are losing any sleep but it does show some of the bad feeling that is building up against them. Our managing director has managed to build up nearly 24 hours worth of delays with in the last year and so this policy has been rolled out across the company...

bmi330

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:20 am

flyglobespan should have maid GLA and EDI there focus first filling in the european gaps EZY now have started to fill and then started kicking out the opposition to become a scottish flag carrier. But that boat has sort of sailed now so they should just try and take out TUI and Thomas cook's markets now. They still have a shot at europe wide from GLA but EDI is to well conected with established routes.

shuggie

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Bmi330 (Reply 37):
They still have a shot at europe wide from GLA but EDI is to well conected with established routes.

I'm not sure about that. EDI handles more passengers than GLA but a very high percentage of that traffic is domestic, mostly London. GLA has much more in the way of established international routes.

To me EDI seems like a much more attractive market but I have to admit to be being heavily biaised as EDI is my local airport and I would love to see a better selection of international flights.

gkirk

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:32 am

GSM have now cancelled flights to YHM over the winter. Last flights seem to be in November

BestWestern

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 39):
GSM have now cancelled flights to YHM over the winter.

All flights? Even Manc?

I also see that All irish routes (DUB, SNN, NOC) are pulled for the winter. I understand that the NOC loads didnt live up to expectations at the end of the day.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

jmc757

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:34 pm

The reliability of the leased aircraft was what caused the problems.

That's the excuse they gave in 1996 when the Globespan management drove Excalibur to the wall. The leased aircraft weren't great, but the writing was on the wall way before that. Taking a massive flying programme in house all in one go, and then leasing out your only long haul aircraft to India?! That was suicide, everyone could see they didn't have the resources to operate the programme. The money from Air India was probably very very good, but at what cost to GSM's own operations and reputation??

The parrallels between Excalibur and Globespan this year were scary. Even worse was the fact that Excalibur were owned by Globespan, so you'd think they would cast their minds back 11 years and learn some lessons. Once bitten, twice..... oh, hang on a minute?

It finally seems the penny has dropped at Globespan, and not a moment too soon. Globespan expanded far too quickly, without the actual resources to do so. They have needed to draw back and have a long hard look at themselves for a long time, and thankfully it seems they are doing so. Not a moment too soon. I think (and hope) this is more the beginning of the future; although it makes you wonder how close they came?

[Edited 2007-10-06 10:35:46]

gkirk

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 40):
All flights? Even Manc?

Yup.
Only GLA-SFB and GLA-BFS-SFB tx over winter

Boeing74741R

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 42):

Yup.
Only GLA-SFB and GLA-BFS-SFB tx over winter

GSM can't go wrong with that surely!

Lease 1/2 767s to Air India for the time being. Retire all 733s and return 757s to Icelandair/leasor

757s are to go back to the lessor anyway, but retiring the 733s would be a good move - gives them an all 737NG fleet for short-haul HINT HINT! Didn't GSM scrounge one or two 733s from Jet2 a while ago?

GCDEG

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 40):
I understand that the NOC loads didnt live up to expectations at the end of the day.

Not quite true. All flights that went through Knock left full or near full to the US.

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 43):
GSM can't go wrong with that surely!

You would think wouldn't you but nothing would surprise me.

ABZ: 2 x 73G based (summer only, possibly 1 based during winter)
EDI: All the 736s + 2 x 73G based
GLA: All 738s and 1 x 767

No aircraft based in ABZ for the winter. 1 aircraft (most likely 73G) will operate in a W with EDI doing TFS and AGP.
EDI will need the 73G or 738 for the FNC and SSH flights. Don't forget MME which will prob have a 733 or 736. Apparently the 3rd 767 is being leased out as well so there will be no 767 for the winter at GLA just the 757 G-CEJM.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 39):
GSM have now cancelled flights to YHM over the winter. Last flights seem to be in November

Indeed it appears the only longhaul is Sanford from GLA and BFS using the 757 G-CEJM. Maybe a wise decision considering everything that happened this summer.

As a side note new shorthaul destinations for next year are GLA-CFU, EDI-CFU, EDI-PFO, EDI-DBV as well as the return of GLA-PUY and GLA-PRG for the summer.

It has been mentioned a number of times. The shorthaul is extremely successful and is the effectively the money maker of the airline. No doubt about it longhaul has indeed been a complete disaster and hopefully lessons can be learned for the future but Jmc757 you're right -

Quoting Jmc757 (Reply 41):
Once bitten, twice..... oh, hang on a minute?

GCDEG
The best thing invented - Winglets!

Humberside

Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 44):
As a side note new shorthaul destinations for next year are GLA-CFU, EDI-CFU, EDI-PFO, EDI-DBV as well as the return of GLA-PUY and GLA-PRG for the summer.

Also EDI-LPA/ACE become year riound for the first time, and its ABZ-AGP's first summer of operation (route doesnt start until this winter)
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

by738

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Single long haul ops from GLA to SFB with no back up aircraft.......I suspect the problems will continue over the winter, although if its not a daily service then they will have time to make up the 17 hrs delays, esp with JM being a heap of....
and no doubt requiring stops enroute. I feel a few 738 flights coming on......

rdwootty

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:34 pm

It was amazing that they have flown during the summer. All my clients have come back with horror stories. ie. 1 yes 1 checkin staff member at Hamilton for 3 yes 3 flights??? No wonder they will not be operating next year > I do think it is such a pity as we do need some competition on the routes and I do understand that the food was quite good.
I am more sorry for the cabin crew as they will have had the brunt of the complaints and not been able to do anything about it.

by188b

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 44):
The shorthaul is extremely successful and is the effectively the money maker of the airline.

a reasonable question here, if the above was true, then why has Globespan steadily increased its long haul fleet to 3 x 767?

The 767's must be making some money for the airline?
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

GCDEG

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting BY188B (Reply 48):
a reasonable question here, if the above was true, then why has Globespan steadily increased its long haul fleet to 3 x 767?

The 767's must be making some money for the airline?

Oh absolutely the 767's that are in India are making money but when you take into account the amount of expenditure that has happened on longhaul this summer including new engines, maintenance delays and money back in refunds etc it doesn't take long for that money to slowly drop hence the reason for such a reduction in fleet size and routes this winter. You have to bear in mind that there wasn't a lot of profit margin from business class seats as most were being sold at half the price (if not less) of mainline airlines like BA. Also shorthaul is as a whole very reliable and above all consistent with very little delays (which are costly) and maintenance for the 737s hasn't been as much as it has been for the 757's.

GCDEG
The best thing invented - Winglets!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos