Concorde001
Topic Author

British Airways' New India Uniforms - Pictures

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 am

British Airways today unveiled its new Indian uniforms, which will be worn by cabin crew on UK-India flights. The uniforms were designed by leading Indian designer Rohit Bal using the same patterns of Julian MacDonald (who designed BA's current uniform).

British Airways Statement
"Our uniform is one of the most powerful symbols of the British Airways brand and it is important that our people feel proud to wear it," Nilufer Charna, British Airways' International Cabin Crew Manager (South Asia), said.

"We wanted someone who could take our western uniform and interpret it into a design that reflects the cultures of India," she said.

"We know our customers value the regional services we provide them. The new uniform will complement these benefits to provide customers flying between India and the UK with a truly regional service," Charna said

Photos courtesy of "karatecatman", member of airliners-india.net.

More photos of the uniform available at Airliners-India.net

BA is certainly committed to the Indian market and it is clearly very important to them that it warrants a dedicated uniform. If I am not mistaken, British Airways has had a dedicated Indian uniform since 1994...a sari I believe.

Reggaebird

RE: British Airways' New India Uniforms - Pictures

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:53 am

Why do they need a special uniform for India services? Do the provide domestic services within India similar to the British Airways/Comair services in South Africa? If not, has this to do with cultural acceptance? If so, shouldn't they also have regional uniforms for conservative destinations in the middle east or other parts of the Islamic world?

Reggaebird

gq

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 1):
Why do they need a special uniform for India services?

I was thinking the same exact thing as I read the article, why single out service to India what about Asia, Africa, etc for that matter?
Traveling somewhere, could be anywhere...there's a strangeness in the air but I don't care

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:11 am

Do the provide domestic services within India similar to the British Airways/Comair services in South Africa?

No

If not, has this to do with cultural acceptance?

It has nothing to do with cultural acceptance! Indian women are very, very modern. Indeed India is one of the most liberal countries in Asia. Just take a look at cabin crew of India's Kingfisher Airlines...there is no "cultural acceptance" factor here:

Kingfisher Airlines F1 Party in Monaco, May 2007

Why do they need a special uniform for India services?

I think it is to do with marketing, publicity (showing BA's dedication and commitment on its Indian services) and more importantly to provide Indian passengers a unique service on British Airways flights to and from India. The high standards of British Airways mixed with an Indian flavour. British Airways also has dedicated Indian advertising for its flights which illustrates this:

I think more than anything, this is a reflection of the importance of India to British Airways.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 am

I look forward to kimonos, burqas, dishdashas, ponchos and loin cloths. BA is doing a wonderful job of showing its cultural sensitivities to others.  Yeah sure
You can't cure stupid

ardian

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 am

The uniform for the Chinese crew looks good too:

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
look forward to kimonos, burqas, dishdashas, ponchos and loin cloths. BA is doing a wonderful job of showing its cultural sensitivities to others.

I understand where you are coming from, but I really do not think, indeed it has nothing to do with cultural sensitivities. Firstly, this uniform will only be worn by some of the crew on its India flights - the others will continue to wear the standard uniform. Secondly, British Airways specifically requested a dedicated Indian uniform (and has done since 1994) to provide a superior service on its Indian flights. As the British Airways statement clearly says, "We know our customers value the regional services we provide them. The new uniform will complement these benefits to provide customers flying between India and the UK with a truly regional service".

Finally, while India is large country with variations in culture and attitudes, it is nevertheless a liberal country. This is more true in the cities of India - women are not expected to be hidden so this uniform does not address any cultural sensitivities as IMHO, none exist. Those familiar with India will know what I am talking about.

Incidentally, apart from Air India (AI+IC), all other Indian carriers have western uniforms, so again I find it difficult to see BA's uniforms in this way.

xtoler

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:31 am

As long as the F/A's look like the one's on Kingfisher, I'm all for it. However, could you imagine if F/A's adopted that on BA? That may not be a pretty sight. But with all the politically correct and equal opportunity guidelines, why not have BA represent in those uniforms.

When I was an F/A for TSA I wished I could represent the south eastern US by just wearing my steel toe boots, jeans, and a t-shirt saying, "Huntin' and Fishin', American Traditions". Instead I had to wear a suit and tie. At least I was classy enough not to wear a clip on tie. It was a good trade off for having to wear a hard hat every time I left my office and the lack of stress from a real job. Just missed the money.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

vv701

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting GQ (Reply 2):
I was thinking the same exact thing as I read the article, why single out service to India what about Asia

If you scroll down the link in Reply 1 you will see the new British Airways Chinese Flight Attendant's uniform.

xtoler

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 am

I know a lot of us don't really like seeing guys as F/A's but what about fashion when it comes to male F/A's? Some of these questions came up when I was a "steward" in a mainly female role, and being a guy with no fashion sense I felt a little awkward.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

TreeHillRavens

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting Ardian (Reply 5):
The uniform for the Chinese crew looks good too:

Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):
If you scroll down the link in Reply 1 you will see the new British Airways Chinese Flight Attendant's uniform.

That is Air China's uniform. Not BA Chinese FA's uniform.

gq

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):
British Airways Chinese Flight Attendant's uniform

IMO I don't see what's so Asian (Chinese) about the uniform, I can easily imagine it on a FA from a Western carrier... but I guess it's a step in the right direction, who knows maybe it won't be long until they incorporate a Kente pattern and design a uniform to showcase their commitment on the Sub-Saharan routes Big grin
Traveling somewhere, could be anywhere...there's a strangeness in the air but I don't care

N77014

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:57 am

So are BA's FAs for Indian service UK or Indian nationals?

Are they all based ex LHR or are they based in India itself?

Are they on the same contract BA has with their UK based staff, or on a contract basis similar to EK's?
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

carduelis

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:02 am

When I was BOAC Air Cabin Crew on BA's 707 around the world services in the early 60s, our Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani stewardesses, all wore their national costumes inflight.

It was really great to see them!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

Aeroflot777

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:02 am

Ok... So I'm confused...

BA makes special uniforms for India service. Why is the question. As members mentioned above, what singles them out. Seems kind of random to have a uniform to a specific country. This raises another question for me. So how will these uniforms be handed out to FAs? Do specific FAs get assigned the India flights and fly them over and over? So basically a long-haul FA flying other routes that never really goes to India but is all of a sudden scheduled on that flight now needs to obtain a new uniform? I'm really lost. Can anyone shed some light?

Aeroflot777

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 12):
So are BA's FAs for Indian service UK or Indian nationals?

The UK-India flights are staffed by a mixture of British and Indian crews, similar to VS. BA also has a similar arrangement on its UK-Hong Kong/China/Singapore flights.

If I am not mistaken, BA's Indian crew are either DEL or BOM based.

Are they on the same contract BA has with their UK based staff, or on a contract basis similar to EK's

I do not know, but would guess no.

Here are some pics of the uniforms:

N77014

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 14):
Ok... So I'm confused...

BA makes special uniforms for India service. Why is the question. As members mentioned above, what singles them out. Seems kind of random to have a uniform to a specific country.

BA's India service schedule is larger than many airlines ENTIRE network. Therefore, it has enough of an economy of scale so that a subfleet of flight attendants could be dedicated to it, as well as have crew bases in India itself.

This is more a reflection of how critical the India market is to BA as a whole.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

vv701

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 10):
Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):

Sorry but are you sure? The Airliners-India caption says it is "BA's new uniform for its Chinese crew". And it's pretty unusual for a Chinese airline to adopt the British national colours for its neck scarf!

kochamLOT

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:22 am

The dresses looks more like a hazard (BA), not ugly though.
Interesting...though I am more traditional in what I want my lady FAs to wear
You could confuse Kingfisher FAs as Hooters Air FAs...what is this all about.

delta767

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:30 am

While it may seem unusual to the rest of us, an airline like BA has done its research and knows what its customers are looking for...the Indian population may find this uniform both respectful of their culture and/or appreciative of the cultural sensitivities that it offers. While many choose their airfare based on price, the airlines are catering to that smaller population of corporations that bases their decisions on more minute details.

For example, many US companies opt for their domestic employees to fly with a domestic carrier as far as possible. With the current situation in Iraq, both DL (with AMM) and UA (with KWI) are taking advantage of this C/J class traffic while Y is being filled with the price-sensitive consumer...maybe we'll see DL and UA take some of these uniform-centric observations into account. I certainly cant expect to see some of the younger DL FAs in their new all-red or all-black low-cut outfit...it certainly may recruit passengers, but not in the financial way that DL is hoping Wink

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:38 am

As members mentioned above, what singles them out. Seems kind of random to have a uniform to a specific country

I think it has got to do with the two main reasons. Firstly (as I mentioned earlier), India is a very important market for British Airways. Consequently, in order to be a leader in the Indian market, it specifically requested a dedicated Indian uniform (and has done since 1994) to provide a superior service on its Indian flights. As the British Airways statement clearly says, "We know our customers value the regional services we provide them. The new uniform will complement these benefits to provide customers flying between India and the UK with a truly regional service".

But why, you may ask, does this superior service have to manifest itself in a uniform?

In answering this, you need to understand Indian culture (BA does and hence the new uniform). India, a nation of over 1 billion people, still retains a national style of clothing that is used by the majority of Indians, especially Indian women. The sari and salwar kameez have been worn throughout India for hundreds of years and continues to do so. Western clothes are also worn alot, but in the main and particularly during festivities and celebrations, these Indian clothes are worn. Indeed they are deemed very fashionable (just look at the role of Bollywood as a stage for Indian fashion). Indian clothes are therefore share the same status as Indian food in terms of illustrating to the world what India is today.

However, the same cannot be said for China, Thailand, Singapore, Japan etc. While all of these countries have strong clothing and fashion traditions (Kimonos for example), I do not think they are relevant today in terms of their adoption by the people. In Japan, the Kimono is not worn as mainstream dress as the sari and salwar kameez are in the Indian subcontinent. Therefore, with India being an important market for British Airways and all signs showing that it will continue to be in the future, BA has understood this and uses Indian uniforms in the same way airlines offer Indian menus on flights to India as means of better catering for the needs of the Indian passenger!

[Edited 2007-09-27 02:50:52]

ammunition

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 am

I think its a very wise move by BA, it brings their india services to the forefront of the media and travelling public attention, highlighting their understanding of the customers needs while reaffirming their commitment, showing at the same time they are a big player- especially now that the competition has stepped up a few notches in the game- AI and 9W upgrading or in the process of upgrading their product and services. I think the competition between the UK and india will become increasinly intense, with the big 3 on the direct routes (and maybe VS) constantly trying to out do one another (except for routine fleet wide changes in service/product), as in this stunt.

Cant wait for kingfisher to join the game.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

Concorde001
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 am

Quoting KochamLOT (Reply 18):
You could confuse Kingfisher FAs as Hooters Air FAs...what is this all about.

That picture is an adaption of the Kingfisher Airlines uniform. The blazer and the skirt are practically the same, but the short blouse in the picture is replaced with a smart shirt. Here is a picture below:

bastew

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:05 am

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 15):
If I am not mistaken, BA's Indian crew are either DEL or BOM based.

There are 4 indian based crew on every BA flight between the UK and india. Current bases in India are: DEL, BOM, MAA, BLR. DAC based crews work the CCU route.

Are they on the same contract BA has with their UK based staff, or on a contract basis similar to EK's?

The indian (and all foreign) based crews work to the same agreements as the LHR based crews in terms of scheduling/days off after trips etc. They also work to the same pay structure in terms of allowances/long range payments/overtime etc although their basic salary is less. They are also provided with a car and driver to and from their home base before + after their flights. The indian crew I have worked with say it is seen as a very prestigeous job to have. Competition is fierce and the overwhelming majority come from Jet Airways.

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 7):
As long as the F/A's look like the one's on Kingfisher, I'm all for it. However, could you imagine if F/A's adopted that on BA? That may not be a pretty sight. But with all the politically correct and equal opportunity guidelines, why not have BA represent in those uniforms.

LOL. Well you will be happy to know that all recruitment for the indian based crew is undertaken within india. Interviews etc are conducted by the Indian 'Senior' crew and all european political correctness goes out the window. All the indian based boys and girls recruited within the last few years (male & female) are all of the same type: young, fair, flawless, slim, and good looking (and a big proportion seemingly poached from Jet Airways). Please note i am not advocating I am 'for' or 'against' this sort of recruitment here. Just pointing out that the way the BA crew are recruited in india is very different.

carduelis

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:07 am

As previously mentioned!

Big version: Width: 1608 Height: 2025 File size: 397kb
Senior Chief Steward, Ralph Everett and Japanese Stewardess, Eiko Yoneya, Honolulu, 6 October 1965

Plus a flippant Caribbean paper dress - great fun at the end of the trip!

Big version: Width: 79 Height: 100 File size: 4kb
Stewardess with paper dress on 1960s BOAC Caribbean services
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

bastew

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 am

This raises another question for me. So how will these uniforms be handed out to FAs? Do specific FAs get assigned the India flights and fly them over and over? So basically a long-haul FA flying other routes that never really goes to India but is all of a sudden scheduled on that flight now needs to obtain a new uniform? I'm really lost. Can anyone shed some light?

These crews are based in india and only operate from their indian home city to LHR and back.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 17):
Sorry but are you sure? The Airliners-India caption says it is "BA's new uniform for its Chinese crew". And it's pretty unusual for a Chinese airline to adopt the British national colours for its neck scarf!

Our far eastern bases are in SIN, HKG and NRT. The SIN and HKG crew also work the PVG/PEK routes in a HKG/SIN-LHR-PVG/PEK-LHR-SIN/HKG pattern. There are 3 HKG based crew per HKG flight, 3 japanese crew on a NRT and 2 SIN crew on a SIN.

All these bases wear the regular western male/female BA cabin crew uniform and i've not heard anything about the chinese crew receiving a different one.

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 20):
I think it has got to do with the two main reasons. Firstly (as I mentioned earlier), India is a very important market for British Airways.

thumbsup  BIG time.

BA also has a huge number of passengers in transit from India to north america. It isn't uncommon to have as many indian passengers on a LHR-YYZ flight as there are on a LHR-BOM flight!

xtoler

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting KochamLOT (Reply 18):
The dresses looks more like a hazard (BA), not ugly though.
Interesting...though I am more traditional in what I want my lady FAs to wear
You could confuse Kingfisher FAs as Hooters Air FAs

I was joking about the Hooters Air girls. A friend of mine with Trans States worked for US, got laid off after 9/11, went to Pace who flies the Hooters name and on some flights there are the traditional Hooter's girls present. Hooters if you don't know by now is a chain sports bar in the States with scantilly clad waitresses serving us pitchers of beer and hot wings while we watch sporting events, mainly NASCAR and football (NFL or College, take your pick). I almost get the same treatment at home but I have to go to the kitchen to get my own beer and fix my wife a drink.

Ryanair!!!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):

I implore all of you to look closer at the nametag. The symbol is clearly that of Air China, plus I have also seen the crew walking through Changi Airport although I must say that one as beautiful as that model was really rare.

The Chinese BA crew on the LHR-Asia-Australia flights all wear the same uniform as the rest of the crew.

I do not understand why are people making such a big fuss over BA's decision to have a sub-set of FAs based in other countries donning a uniform from that region. It is not like BA's FAs are marketing icons (ala Singapore Airlines) therefore it is easier for them to vary their uniform designs.

Additionally, please note that this isn't the first time something like that has been done. Back in the 1960s, BA's predeccesor BOAC specially designed a white/beige chinese cheongsam worn by the Asian crew for the LHR-HKG flights.

Also I feel this reflects BA's global outlook in the aviation industry and their attempt at being the "World's Favourite Airline" still persists.

JAL's chinese speaking crew used to wear a black/purple cheongsam too for the USA-Japan services, different from the rest of the crew. Plus, Japan-Honolulu flights also have the crew wearing floral blouses as opposed to their smart black blazer and white shirt ensemble.

I was on an American Airlines DC10 LAX-HNL and the ENTIRE crew wore some kimono outfit to reflect the laid back holiday spirit of a Hawaii-bound flight.

So it is not a rare event that an airline markets different uniforms to reflect their emphasis on that particular sector. Sometimes we need to think out of the box and not confine our stiff backs to conform and become a creature of habit. Adaptability is the key word here...

Ryan
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Rivet42

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:04 am

Oh dear. What is it with BA that they are trying so hard to confuse their customers about the company's identity? Do they really want their Indian customers to feel like they are travelling on an Indian airline...? Surely if a business person or leisure traveller chooses BA instead of AI or 9W for a flight to England, unless there is a significant price differential then that choice is likely to be based on a desire to experience something typically 'British'!

BA do stand for very specific values around the World, values that for some reason are very much admired, yet they went through this marketing nonsense with the multicoloured tail-fins (and matching varieties of corporate stationery), only to end up throwing it all in the bin and going back to a single, simple, clear concept.

Why go through all that again...? Sure India is a large(?) market for BA, but why should that require BA to become British Indian Airways??!!  crazy 

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

LH423

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 am

If you look closely at the name badge, you can see the red, Air China logo on the right.

That's definitely not BA's Chinese uniform. Do BA even have a Chinese uniform. I mean, compared to India, China is only about half the size.

China: 5x weekly (PVG), 6x weekly (PEK), 21x weekly (HKG). Total: 32 weekly flights

India: 14x weekly (BOM), 14x weekly (DEL), 7x weekly (BLR), 5x weekly (MAA), 3x weekly (CCU). Total: 43 weekly flights (46, if you include Dhaka, Bangladesh)

While not a significant difference, considering that outside of HKG, BA is a relatively new entrant to the Chinese market (PVG was only started in...2004, I believe). BA has been flying to India for decades and is one of the most recognized airlines in the market. That kind of exposure demands certain additional "touches".

Also consider that the Chinese market is still relatively closed. Most of the travellers on BA's services to China are Western travellers, whereas with the India market it's probably more Indian travellers than Western.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

comorin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:45 am

Concorde001 - Thanks for the pics!! I will stop sulking and go back to to BA for my next trip to check it out!! Very smart move move by BA, and very customer centered. BA has done a fantastic job of serving the Indian market - direct flights to BLR and MAA while AI was still trying to locate them on a map...

ardian

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Yes I can't change my post, but it's indeed the uniform for Air China. My bad!

OA260

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Very nice touch by BA and very good PR move. India is a very important market for BA for many reasons including the fact of the huge British Indian community in the UK and increasing economic ties between the UK and India.

From BA's part it is probably more to do with localising the brand and attracting Indians to a familiar product. What ever people say passengers will notice and remember it. If it wasnt an important market than BA wouldnt be spending the money.

I cant decide if I like the Punjabi suit or the Sari better . They both look nice and right away you can see its BA by the design pattern.

manu

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 3):
look at cabin crew of India's Kingfisher Airlines

After seeing that, I am glad I booked on Kingfisher for my DEL-BOM flight in October.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
Very nice touch by BA and very good PR move

It is a very good PR move. I find it funny assumptions people make and presentation has a lot to do with that. When I boarded the LF aircraft at BOM earlier this month I was spoken to in German. I don't speak a word of it and if I had to pick a country that I look like I am from it would be Irish (Redish hair, pale skin).

PR is incredibly important, as with branding. Keeping someone happy by making them feel more like they are at home is probably the best thing an airline could do.

I always know when I see or hear announcements in both French and English, I feel a little closer to Canada!

777way

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):
Quoting GQ (Reply 2):
I was thinking the same exact thing as I read the article, why single out service to India what about Asia

Nothing Chinese about it one bit.

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 10):
Quoting VV701 (Reply 8):

Theres an Air China logo on the badge.

asterix

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Wow, I like those Kingfisher uniforms. I wonder if Southwest would allow these flight attendants on board their airplanes....

babybus

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

I thought the whole idea these days was not to highlight cultural differences between people and cultures. These uniforms are telling people "You are Indian and you are Chinese". This goes agianst everything we are fed in the media about political correctness.

One uniform for all in my opinion.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

B767300ER

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 pm

The Regional concept for F/A uniforms is interesting to say the least. However looking at the pictures the male F/A
uniform is great beach attire but to call it a uniform is a gross misreprsentation. Good for Halloween but totally lacking the
requirement for being called a uniform. Comments lease!

777way

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:34 pm

I dont see any male uniform, or are you referring to the guy in the pic's whos the designer Rohit Bal.

Nimish

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
I look forward to kimonos, burqas, dishdashas, ponchos and loin cloths. BA is doing a wonderful job of showing its cultural sensitivities to others  sarcastic 

"Loin cloths" Big grin Now which country would that be?

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 28):
Why go through all that again...? Sure India is a large(?) market for BA, but why should that require BA to become British Indian Airways??!!

Why do they need a special uniform for India services

Quoting GQ (Reply 2):
was thinking the same exact thing as I read the article, why single out service to India

BA makes special uniforms for India service. Why is the question

Quoting Babybus (Reply 36):
thought the whole idea these days was not to highlight cultural differences between people and cultures. These uniforms are telling people "You are Indian and you are Chinese". This goes agianst everything we are fed in the media about political correctness.

I'm not sure what is it that surprises those quoted above? When Air India flies LHR-JFK - they have western food on board. When I send an email to an American colleague, I change the date to read 10/31 instead of 31/10. When an American elevator company installs it's product in India - it starts counting floors from 0 instead of 1. When an Indian or Asian product is sold in the US, it will list weight/quantity etc. in lbs, oz and whatever it takes to get the consumer to buy the product.

These are all forms of adapting your product to ensure that the customer feels comfortable with it. A comfortable customer becomes a repeat (paying) customer. Which company/product does not want repeat (paying) customers? Why do I get this sense of arrogance that the "British/Western way" is the best way (or the only way)?

Quoting Comorin (Reply 30):
Very smart move move by BA, and very customer centered. BA has done a fantastic job of serving the Indian market - direct flights to BLR and MAA while AI was still trying to locate them on a map...

bigthumbsup 

Quoting Delta767 (Reply 19):
While it may seem unusual to the rest of us, an airline like BA has done its research and knows what its customers are looking for...the Indian population may find this uniform both respectful of their culture and/or appreciative of the cultural sensitivities that it offers. While many choose their airfare based on price, the airlines are catering to that smaller population of corporations that bases their decisions on more minute details.

thumbsup 

On a lighter note - these uniforms look quite British to me - walk through parts of London or Birmingham or Manchester - you'll see a lot of folks wearing the traditional Indian clothes  Wink
Incredible India!

OA260

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 39):
On a lighter note - these uniforms look quite British to me - walk through parts of London or Birmingham or Manchester - you'll see a lot of folks wearing the traditional Indian clothes

Exactly and Curry is now the national dish!!! Indian culture is an integral part of British society these days and the Indian and Asian community have helped make the UK what it is today!!!

gq

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 39):
Why do I get this sense of arrogance that the "British/Western way" is the best way (or the only way)?

The point of my remark was not to suggest that the british/western way is the best. I just wanted to know why BA has uniforms tailored to certain cultures/countries and not others which was answered (thanks Concorde001). When it was pointed out (incorrectly) that BA had a Chinese-influenced uniform I replied that it wasn't Chinese at all in its style. BA is truly a world-class airline and I'm all for embracing and recognizing different cultures!!!

B747forever

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Really nice.

Good job by BA.
Work Hard, Fly Right

vc10

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 pm

I think I must be missing something in this topic as these cabin crew uniforms are only an update on the uniform that Indian cabin crew have worn since as long as I can remember, and as Carduelis mentioned in reply 13 and 24 they have been worn in one form or another since the 1960s and perhaps 1950s.

This is not a "new statement" or a " PR stunt" it is a continuation of a BOAC/BA tradition and these uniforms are just an update .

littlevc10

1stfl94

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:29 pm

Nice uniforms and a good way of showing the importance of India to BA. Although not as good as the national dress uniforms used by TWA in the 1960s.

B747forever

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting VC10 (Reply 43):
This is not a "new statement" or a " PR stunt" it is a continuation of a BOAC/BA tradition and these uniforms are just an update .

So BA had something similar before.

Do anyone have some pics then. ????????
Work Hard, Fly Right

vc10

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 45):
Do anyone have some pics then. ????????

Well cannot find any pictures of cabin crew in Indian uniform ,but if you look at reply 24 and the following web site you will see what BOAC's Japanese cabin crew dressed like back in the 1960s. Not the most practical I admit but there you go

http://www.bamuseum.com/60-70.html

littlevc10

georgiaame

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:25 am

shouldn't they also have regional uniforms for conservative destinations in the middle east or other parts of the Islamic world

Let's just hope they opt NOT to have a regional uniform representing the dress statement of the US.

BTW: The sari is stunning. The rest looks like warmed over Delta-wear.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

comorin

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 47):
BTW: The sari is stunning. The rest looks like warmed over Delta-wear.

thumbsup  Couldn't have said it better myself. And Kingfisher's uniforms look like warmed over VS wear...

Skyguy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Concorde001 (Thread starter):
If I am not mistaken, British Airways has had a dedicated Indian uniform since 1994...a sari I believe.

Since November 1985 actually.

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 28):
a desire to experience something typically 'British'!

Please define "typically British". A Top Hat? Tail Coat suit? Steak and Kidney pie? Is tea British?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."