hiflyer

Eugene Precautionary Evac

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:47 am

Airport Evacuated After Suspicious Device Found in Baggage Screening

Eugene, Ore. -- Thursday morning Eugene Police responded to a call of a suspicious device found during routine screening of baggage at the Eugene Airport. The terminal has been evacuated and roads into the airport are closed at this time. The Explosives Disposal Unit has arrived and is investigating.
http://www.kezi.com/content/contentID/17641

Eugene Airport is served by five air carriers: US Airways Express, Horizon Air, Delta Connection, United Express and Allegiant Air.....from the airport website.

Brick

RE: Eugene Precautionary Evac

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:10 am

They are holding a SkyWest Airlines flight that arrived Denver from Eugene in a "remote" area of the airport right now until the aircraft is checked out. The passengers have been bussed to the terminal, but their luggage stays on the aircraft. This seems an over reaction by folks in Denver if you ask me...
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

AF340

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 1):
This seems an over reaction by folks in Denver if you ask me...

Yeah, that seems very unnecessary, I seriously doubt Eugene would be the scene of an attack anyway.

AF340

hiflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 am

Huh? at the Denver airport? rutroh scooby.

A piece of steel pipe wrapped in electrician’s tape prompted the evacuation
and closure of the Eugene Airport on Thursday. The airport has reopened.
The item was found in a passenger’s checked baggage. Eugene police said it
was not an actual bomb, but closely resembled one. The passenger was being
questioned by FBI agents at the Denver airport.

http://www.registerguard.com/rgn/ind...tions_eugene_man_after_bomb_scare/

DavidByrne

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 1):
They are holding a SkyWest Airlines flight that arrived Denver from Eugene in a "remote" area of the airport right now until the aircraft is checked out. The passengers have been bussed to the terminal, but their luggage stays on the aircraft. This seems an over reaction by folks in Denver if you ask me...

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 3):
A piece of steel pipe wrapped in electrician's tape prompted the evacuation
and closure of the Eugene Airport on Thursday. The airport has reopened.
The item was found in a passenger's checked baggage. Eugene police said it
was not an actual bomb, but closely resembled one. The passenger was being
questioned by FBI agents at the Denver airport.

Huh? Doesn't sound like an over-reaction to me. If there was any suspicion of a pipe bomb I'd expect evacuation of the plane and for the plane to be parked in a remote area - and for the airport to be closed until things were properly checked out. Imagine what people would be saying if it was a bomb and those steps had not been taken.

Sometimes I think that A-netters make pronouncements based on very skimpy information . . .
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

hiflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Quoting DavidByrne (Reply 4):
Sometimes I think that A-netters make pronouncements based on very skimpy information . . .

Agreed.....but I remember knowing it all when I was a teenager...grin.....with age comes wiseness and mortgages...

I wonder if the TSA was more anxious due to the recent extradition( earlier this week) from Europe of a most wanted for running muslim terrorist camps in Oregon in the late 90's.....??

bok269

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
I seriously doubt Eugene would be the scene of an attack anyway

On that fateful day, two hijackers on Flight 11 first went through PWM. While the CRJ may not have been a target, a larger aircraft could have.

As others have stated, I completely agree with the extra inspections.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

LTU932

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 6):
On that fateful day, two hijackers on Flight 11 first went through PWM.

PWM isn't in Oregon, PDX is. Or did you mean PDX?

doug_or

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):

He is refering to Abdulaziz al-Omari and Mohamed Atta al Sayed who flew from PWM to BOS on the morning of 9-11-01. They hijacked AA11 from BOS and crashed it in to the north tower of the WTC.

More to the point, I'm very confused about why nothing happened until they got to DEN? Was the suspicous package bound for another flight? Was it on the SkyWest flight?
When in doubt, one B pump off

bok269

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
PWM isn't in Oregon, PDX is. Or did you mean PDX?

No I meant PWM. I wasn't comparing the two geographically, rather that they are both relatively smaller (I realize PWM isn't as small as EUG) and that EUG is as likely to be a starting point for a terrorist attack as anywhere else.

Glareskin

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
I seriously doubt Eugene would be the scene of an attack anyway

It would make 'funny' headlines: After the Twin Towers, Al Quaida chooses Eugene as American target. And what would they attack: the bus station?
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

LTU932

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 9):
No I meant PWM. I wasn't comparing the two geographically, rather that they are both relatively smaller (I realize PWM isn't as small as EUG) and that EUG is as likely to be a starting point for a terrorist attack as anywhere else.

OK, now I understood. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

bok269

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):
OK, now I understood. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Apology not needed. Glad I was able to clear that up!

sea2pdx

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 8):
I'm very confused about why nothing happened until they got to DEN? Was the suspicous package bound for another flight? Was it on the SkyWest flight?

The item was left behind in Eugene and the passenger was allowed to board their flight to Denver (6am departure). I flew out on a 630am flight that morning with no issues. Find out that this was made an issue *after the fact* and only then did the airport get dumped and bomb squad called. The airport closure resulted in the cancellation of one flight. To reiterate, an issue was made of all of this *after* the passenger boarded his flight and it departed. Seems things didn't quite go the way they should have here.