SCUMBAG
Topic Author

NWA Manila Based F/A's Salary

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:48 am

I was talking to a friend the other day who is married to a former (recent) NWA F/A who up until last year was living in Manila and working as a F/A with 4 years experience. He was saying the working conditions and salary was a joke compared to the US crews. and that the workload and duties were every bit as challenging as what is expected from the US crews. Nevertheless this is considered to be a prized job that is extremely competitive and requires no less than an undergrad degree, profound beauty and flawless skin as well as strict age, weight and height restrictions. My question is how do they get away with this? NWA is an American corporation and is bound by US laws and the FAA.

EWRCabincrew

RE: NWA Manila Based F/A's Salary

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting SCUMBAG (Thread starter):
NWA is an American corporation and is bound by US laws and the FAA.

It is. In the US only. Everything else is up to local laws.

My question is how do they get away with this?

Because they can and do. Is it right? No, but it does not deter applicants, by any stretch.
You can't cure stupid

nwab787techops

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:57 am

requires no less than an undergrad degree, profound beauty and flawless skin as well as strict age, weight and height restrictions

You must not fly NW that much.

LAXintl

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:06 am

Common,

If you hire local employees you will pay them appropriate local wages.

This has nothing to do with NWA, or the airline industry.

A doctor, lawyer, bus driver, police officer, ticket agent in the Philippines gets paid on a scale that is commensurate with the country and its economic conditions.

For example one does not go out and hire a police office in the Philippines to start at what LAPD does here of $50,000+ if the local average wage for such a position is merely $10,000.

What NWA is doing is not irresponsible, it very proper and logical.

By your inference next time you are in the Philippines suggest you pay $50 for a meal who's check comes to merely the equivalent of $10.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

bobnwa

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
Because they can and do. Is it right? No, but it does not deter applicants, by any stretch.

NWA has been hiring Asian flight attendants for about 50 years, who basically staff the flights within Asia.They have been hired under the local laws just like every other US company doing business in foreign countries.Foreign companies doing business in the US follow US laws. That is the way international business works.

My question is how do they get away with this? NWA is an American corporation and is bound by US laws and the FAA.

Do you think Toyota in the US follows Japanese laws, or Lufthansa follows German law?

tundra767

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:24 am

With UA only the crews based in BKK and SIN are "regional" f/a's. The others based in HKG and NRT are are US payroll and are members of the F/A union AFA.

EDICHC

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:30 am

US law and FAA regulations do not apply in the Philippines or any other foreign sovereign state.

The staff concerned will be employed under the terms of employment law of the Republic of the Philippines. By the same token say Lufthansa staff fpr example, based in the US would be employed subject to US legislation.

Average earnings in the Philippines are significantly lower than in most developed economic nations, even for those in the professions, believe me I know, my wife is filipina. She is a Registered Nurse and her take home pay here in NZ is about 8 times what she was earning in Manila.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Devilfish

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):

The econonomic condition in the Philippines is such that hundreds of otherwise over-qualified applicants will fight for that position. For that benefit, the least the hiring airline could do is treat them well.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 3):
if the local average wage for such a position is merely $10,000.

It's more like $2,000+ per annum for newbies.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Sean-SAN-

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:46 am

Unlike many Asian airlines, NW doesn't seem to fire their Asian FA's when they get a little old. Last time I flew to Manila, all the local FA's looked to be at least late 20's -40yo. Naturally, they still looked young compared to the US based flight attendants they use on those routes... who seemed to be in their 50's-70's.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 8):
That is the way international business works.

Nothing new to me. Thank you, though, for the business summary.
You can't cure stupid

N77014

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:54 am

Does the original poster also take into account that the cost of living in MNL is many times lower than in the US or NRT?
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

yyz717

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 11):
The econonomic condition in the Philippines is such that hundreds of otherwise over-qualified applicants will fight for that position. For that benefit, the least the hiring airline could do is treat them well.

In what way is NW not treating the MNL-based crew well? NW is creating jobs and hiring locals. Nuff said.

Given the high demand for the positions, NW could (and perhaps should) lower the MNL salaries even more to reduce costs. High demand for a job generally means it's overpaid from a suppy & demand perspective. Any NW employees who don't like the pay are free to work elsewhere in Manila.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N77014

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 15):
Given the high demand for the positions, NW could (and perhaps should) lower the MNL salaries even more to reduce costs. High demand for a job generally means it's overpaid from a suppy & demand perspective. Any NW employees who don't like the pay are free to work elsewhere in Manila.

Or one could say it is an oversupply in the labor market. But not necessarily an overpaid salary from a skill set and experience perspective.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

Devilfish

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:19 am

In what way is NW not treating the MNL-based crew well? NW is creating jobs and hiring locals. Nuff said.

I did not say NW is maltreating their MNL based crew. All I'm saying is a hiring company should treat their local staff well in return for their role in making the company's operation more profitable.

Given the high demand for the positions, NW could (and perhaps should) lower the MNL salaries even more to reduce costs.

Or they could and perhaps should, hire Americans and Canadians instead if that's the way NW views its overseas staff. Why don't NW reduce the rates of their US/Canadian staff instead? That would reduce their operating costs infinitely more, than the paltry savings they would realize by cutting the already meagre salaries they're paying their local people.

High demand for a job generally means it's overpaid from a suppy & demand perspective. Any NW employees who don't like the pay are free to work elsewhere in Manila.

And NW is free to go and fly elsewhere if they're bringing with them that exploitative attitude. A thousand or so job-seekers wouldn't make a noticeable dent in the country's unemployment rate.

Quoting N77014 (Reply 16):

Or one could say it is an oversupply in the labor market. But not necessarily an overpaid salary from a skill set and experience perspective.

checkmark 

yyz717

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 17):
I did not say NW is maltreating their MNL based crew. All I'm saying is a hiring company should treat their local staff well in return for their role in making the company's operation more profitable.

The willingness of Philippine nationals to work for NW voluntarily suggests that NW does treat them well.

In any country, salaries should be low enough to attract quality staff. Given the increased commoditization of the airline industry, and the huge number of potential employees (at least in MNL), this means long term downward trends in airline salaries for everyone (whether US or MNL based) which is good news for travellers and share holders.

And NW is free to go and fly elsewhere if they're bringing with them that exploitative attitude.

There are no exploited workers ANYWHERE in the non-Communist world. All NW employees in MNL are working voluntarily for NW and contractually agree with their wages. If NW can somehow reduce their salaries further with replacement staff or wage reductions, the flying public and shareholders will benefit greatly.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

bobnwa

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 am

And NW is free to go and fly elsewhere if they're bringing with them that exploitative attitude. A thousand or so job-seekers wouldn't make a noticeable dent in the country's unemployment rate.

Are you saying the NWA pay and benefits at Manila are not competitive with the other airlines that fly there? I would bet they are competitive, but I will wait for your answer.

jetjack74

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:22 am

My question is how do they get away with this? NWA is an American corporation and is bound by US laws and the FAA.

On the flipside, our tenured NRT-based FA's makes leagues more than those of us in US, so NWA and others only pay the local wages. Their base pay maybe low, but their incentive pay is done through meal vouchers that they can use to buy dinners out in MNL for them or their families. It may not sound like mush, but they seem to be happy with it. As far as thm having to be the most polished FA's, the MNL based FA's are the least-rigidly managed FA's in the Pacific Division. They often cut corners, flagrently change the service when one of their own is the Main Cabin Lead(MCL). They often don't even offer a choice, moreoften they just pass out a meal and whatever is on the tray is what you get. So the perception that they are the nicest or best Customer Service oriented is highly debatable. Quite the contrary. They're paid what they're worth as far as I see it, nothing. The PVG and PEK FA's are terrorised by the President of Inflight Services who is aka as the Dragon Lady.
Made from jets!

JBLUA320

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:55 am

Here's a dumb question... Do the "regional" and intra-Asia crews for UA and NW get trained in centers overseas, or are they brought to America?

JBLU

TVNWZ

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:07 am

I do not think it is against US law to discriminate based on looks. Sometimes, I wish they would.

AmtrakGuy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:54 am

Where do MNL based fly to? And what type of aircraft?

SCUMBAG
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:03 am

Where do MNL based fly to? And what type of aircraft? They go to other cities in Asia on Jet aircraft.

Devilfish

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:45 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 18):
The willingness of Philippine nationals to work for NW voluntarily suggests that NW does treat them well.

It only confirms their need of a job. The suggestion might well be true but is not an absolute.

There are no exploited workers ANYWHERE in the non-Communist world.

As there are no masters in the Worker's Paradise.

In any country, salaries should be low enough to attract quality staff.

I think you had that backwards.

Given the increased commoditization of the airline industry, and the huge number of potential employees (at least in MNL), this means long term downward trends in airline salaries for everyone (whether US or MNL based) which is good news for travellers and share holders.

And very bad news for the employees, and not necessarily good for the travellers.

All NW employees in MNL are working voluntarily for NW and contractually agree with their wages. If NW can somehow reduce their salaries further with replacement staff or wage reductions, the flying public and shareholders will benefit greatly.

Ah, yes. That's not exploiting people, only situations and circumstances.  sarcastic  The company's and its shareholders gain will be assured, the benefit to the flying public is not a given.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 19):
Are you saying the NWA pay and benefits at Manila are not competitive with the other airlines that fly there? I would bet they are competitive, but I will wait for your answer.

I'm saying that we could do well without this arrogance.....

Given the high demand for the positions, NW could (and perhaps should) lower the MNL salaries even more to reduce costs.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 20):
They're paid what they're worth as far as I see it, nothing.

And the company must be of the view that it's paying you way too much than you're worth in hiring them.

AASTEW

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Same things goes for AA's foreign nationals.....they are not union(APFA). Not included in AA USA seniority list.

AA foreign nationals are trained in DFW with everyone else. There also are some foreign national instructors.

AASTEW

COSPN

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:38 pm

Im Glad CO does not do this USA Citizen or Green card....how can they keep track of FA's all over the world ???

Next thing you know phone will be answered in India ??? Oh yea they do that also

burnsie28

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Why don't NW reduce the rates of their US/Canadian staff instead?

Well, its been done, unlike overseas, the US based employees lost 40% of their pay. Keep in mind that the cost of living in the US is enourmously higher then that of the Philippines. Finally NRT crews I believe are the highest paid FA's.

jfidler

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 25):
Ah, yes. That's not exploiting people, only situations and circumstances. The company's and its shareholders gain will be assured, the benefit to the flying public is not a given.

In any company, the CEO's job is to increase shareholder value. This can often take the form of improving customer service, products, etc but the main goal is to increase the bottom line. That's why companies exist.

As for pay to MNL-based crew, if NW is paying higher than the rate necessary to attract and retain qualified people, then NW is being irresponsible to shareholders.

bobnwa

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 21):
I'm saying that we could do well without this arrogance.....

Not sure what that means, but again I ask if NWA is paying competitive wages in the Philippine market?

Devilfish

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 26):
Not sure what that means, but again I ask if NWA is paying competitive wages in the Philippine market?

I leave that for you to judge.

bobnwa

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 27):
I leave that for you to judge.

I would have to know the numbers in order to judge wouldn't I? You apparently know the numbers, so please share them.

tundra767

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 17):
Here's a dumb question... Do the "regional" and intra-Asia crews for UA and NW get trained in centers overseas, or are they brought to America?

Can't speak for NWA. But the ones at United complete initial training in ORD. Infact one class is supposed to be going through soon. Unlike the regional f/a's are trained non-AFA f/a's and instructors.

SCUMBAG
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 am

I read where MANY PAL pilots jumped ship and went to work for other non Filipino Asian carriers much to the displeasure of the government as well as PAL due to a hearty jump in pay and benefits.

EXAAUADL

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:02 am

Not for foreign based flight crews it isnt........Does GM provide health and pension benefits to Mexican based workers?

JKJ777

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 3):
For example one does not go out and hire a police office in the Philippines to start at what LAPD does here of $50,000+ if the local average wage for such a position is merely $10,000.

Hardly, new LAPD officers make about 20,000 less than that. If the wages were that high, we would have a fraction of the crime here.

jetjack74

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting AmtrakGuy (Reply 19):

They fly on interport flights, which are within Asia.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 21):
And the company must be of the view that it's paying you way too much than you're worth in hiring them.

Keep your shorts on Devilfish. It wasn't a swipe at MNL-based FA's. The comment was mostly about what NWA thinks they're worth, which is nothing, and that goes for us as well. If they really thought we were worth something(us and them), they would pay us something.
Made from jets!

LAXintl

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting JKJ777 (Reply 32):
Hardly, new LAPD officers make about 20,000 less than that.

LAPD pay, along with most LA area law enforment agencies start in the $50,000+ range

The starting base salary for high school graduates is $54,475. If you have at least 60 college units, with an overall GPA of 2.0 or better, you will start at $56,668. (These salaries are as of July, 2006) If you have a BA or BS (four year) degree you will start at $58,881. You begin earning your full salary on your first day of Academy training.

http://www.joinlapd.com/salary.html

JKJ777

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 34):
LAPD pay, along with most LA area law enforment agencies start in the $50,000+ range

The starting base salary for high school graduates is $54,475. If you have at least 60 college units, with an overall GPA of 2.0 or better, you will start at $56,668. (These salaries are as of July, 2006) If you have a BA or BS (four year) degree you will start at $58,881. You begin earning your full salary on your first day of Academy training.

Interesting that you and the website say that. In reality, my neighbor (who is a US citizen, but parents are from the Phillippines) graduated with a BS in Chemistry and is aspiring to become a forensic scientist or detective. He currently works with the LAPD and mostly is based out of El Segundo and Inglewood. He DOES NOT make $56,668. He is barely making $35,000.

You gotta remember that in Manilla, it costs less to live than it does here in the states. If NWA could pay US based FA's the same as they do Philipino FA's, I am sure they would. But, who would take a job making so few $$ when living in Memphis or Detroit? We are the ones complaining about their wages across the Pacific, but in reality they make pretty good money for their cost of living. I am sure there is a cost of living comparison chart for other countries (I know there is for different US cities).
Just my two cents worth.....GO VOLS!!!!!!!

LAXintl

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Reply 35):
LAPD and mostly is based out of El Segundo and Inglewood

Neither are LAPD areas. Each has own police department

Quoting Jkj777 (Reply 35):
He DOES NOT make $56,668. He is barely making $35,000.

He must be some civilian support position. As mentioned and per the website starting pay is in the mid-high 50's for the most basic sworn Police Officer I position.

Matter of fact starting pay will get a $4,000 boost in the coming months, while there is a push to move it up further into the $70,000 range due very competitive national demand for law enforcement positions.

AmtrakGuy

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 33):

They fly on interport flights, which are within Asia.

Thank you Jetjack74! What about spoken-languages? And do any one have a rough # of MNL-based FAs?

JKJ777

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 pm

[quote=Laxintl,reply=36]He must be some civilian support position. As mentioned and per the website starting pay is in the mid-high 50's for the most basic sworn Police Officer I position.

Matter of fact starting pay will get a $4,000 boost in the coming months, while there is a push to move it up further into the $70,000 range due very competitive national demand for law enforcement positions.

nope, he is a regular lapd officer. these numbers are a farce; if you believe them, you are just as naive as the 22 year old high school graduate that thinks he will get rich being a cop. they do not make that much money....i know this for a fact.
it is just like when the army says you will get a 20,000 signing bonus if you enlist. you only get that if you sign up as a lifer and that 20 g is broken up in to 20 installments broken up in to your paychecks. after george takes his cut you really only get about 8,000 of the original 20,000, and not at the same time so as to make it look like a bonus.
nonetheless, 30 grand as a flight attendant from the phillipines would be amazing........for the record, my shift key is broken before people start talking about the lack of capitalization.

LAXintl

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Reply 38):

Sorry to say, however either you are mistaken about your friends position or pay.

Sworn LAPD pay rates, step increases, and overrides are clearly defined and negotiated as part of the collective bargaining agreement with the officers union.

I've attached a copy of the latest agreement from 2006 - pay tables start on page 116.
http://www.lacity.org/cao/MOUs/MOU24-09.pdf

There are no pay rates in existence less then $52,638 which would only be applicable for a high school grad during his/her first 8 months of training with zero additional override qualifications as a Police Officer-I.
Current serving officer pay is quite a bit higher dependent on their position classification, seniority and any special overrides and shown on the associated pay graphs.

Other City Of Los Angeles Peace Office positions like Housing Police, Harbor, Airport Police, Rangers etc have their own pay schedules.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

bobnwa

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Reply 38):
nope, he is a regular lapd officer. these numbers are a farce; if you believe them, you are just as naive as the 22 year old high school graduate that thinks he will get rich being a cop. they do not make that much money....i know this for a fact.

Have you checked the web site Laxintl published? Looks to me like he is right. But getting back to original thread, I will ask again. Do NWA F/A in the Philippines, make a competitive salary compared to the other carriers. Give us some comparison numbers, or admit the statement was just made out of hand.

LurveBus

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 40):
Do NWA F/A in the Philippines, make a competitive salary compared to the other carriers. Give us some comparison numbers, or admit the statement was just made out of hand.

I don't know exactly how much N/W F/As make, but just to give you an idea of exactly how much people make in this country, if you're a college graduate from a top school in this country, your starting salary will be around $300 a month, and that's on the high side. It could go as high as $350, but a lot of people end up earning in the $250 range.

After five, or even ten years, you're lucky if your salary will reach $500.

Given that most flight attendants on any airline will make more than that amount of money staying in a hotel on the other side of the world waiting for their return flight, it isn't really surprising that NW can reduce its pay and benefits to those based in MNL, given that they're offering a gold mine compared to what any local company will pay, including PAL. Sure, international F/As from PAL get paid a decent amount of money, but it takes seniority to get assigned to international routes, and that could take years.

N867BX

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:38 pm

who's the scumbag that started this thread.

centrair

Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 16):
On the flipside, our tenured NRT-based FA's makes leagues more than those of us in US,

I think they are evey paid more than JL staff. I have a former student who works at a Starbucks in Aoyama (Tokyo). One of her co-workers is a JL F/A and since she can't make enough to cover her living expenses, on her days off she works at Starbucks. Problem is that living in Tokyo is above the National Average, JL pays based on a national average and not based on what would be suitable for a person trying to live in Tokyo.

Japanese government requires not only a suitable living wage, but a company must provide a base number of vacation days (10 to start) and national health care. NW meets these requirements and also probably goes above JL and NH, as they require F/A with higher English skills than that of JL or NH. To get those people, NW has to pay more.

Give you an answer in relation to NWA. NW flies MNL-NGO & MNL-NRT using 747-400s. The flights begin in DTW and MSP. I have flown DTW-NGO which usually has more Filipinos that Japanese. The crew is mostly US based and has two Japanese assistants. Once, I flew with a DTW based Tagalog speaking purser. He told me that even though he is DTW based, he will often do DTW-NGO-MNL-NRT-MNL-NGO-DTW or DTW-NRT-MNL-NGO-MNL-NRT-DTW.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

ADXMatt

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Yes...NWA is bound by the FAR's (FAA)
The FAA will determine duty day, training requirements, speak and understand english good enough for their position, etc.

The FAR's do not get into wage and benefits.

Airlines hire locals all over the world at the airport ticket counters/ramps/gates Those employees are paid in local currency and wage scales competitive for their location. It's part of giving back to the communites they serve and to help the local economies.

bobnwa

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 44):
Airlines hire locals all over the world at the airport ticket counters/ramps/gates Those employees are paid in local currency and wage scales competitive for their location. It's part of giving back to the communites they serve and to help the local economies.

This is true of all industries in all countries. They pay in local currency and local wage scales.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos