KPDX
Topic Author

American MD-80 Lands At STL With Engine Fire

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:27 am

Just on the news. No injuries reported, nothing serious.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=130669

[Edited 2007-09-28 21:34:25]
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

JetBlueGuy2006

RE: American MD-80 Lands At STL With Engine Fire

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:29 am

Yeah, I saw it on CNN. if I was on the ground and saw flames coming from the plane while in the sky, I would freak out...but it landed safely.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

lrdc9

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:32 am

What caused the fire? Any major damage to a/c. Anything that would cause retirement?
Just say NO to scabs.

pilotboi

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am

Heard on the news that it was large turkey vulture ingested into the engine. No confirmation yet.

CcrlR

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 2):
What caused the fire? Any major damage to a/c. Anything that would cause retirement?

It would depend on if it was a birdstrike, or something else internally that went wrong with the engine. It looked like there was some burn marks on the top and bottom of the engine cowling after the foam disappeared from the plane as I saw on CNN. Looks like the #1 engine is the only part damaged.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

atrude777

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:53 am

CNN said 142 folks on board.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

FlagshipAZ

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:54 am

Glad to hear that everyone is okay. Looking at that picture, there doesn't seem to be any emergency slides deployed.
I wondered if the fire-rescue vehicles started foaming the aircraft before the plane was completely stopped.
The aircraft looks intact & repairable, but looks can be deceiving. Again, Thank God there were no serious injuries. Just a bad scare.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

777STL

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:02 am

It was STL-ORD, engine caught fire and/or ingested something on climbout.
PHX based

KPDX
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):
It was STL-ORD, engine caught fire and/or ingested something on climbout.

Yep AA1400

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1400
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

ikramerica

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Reply 6):
Glad to hear that everyone is okay. Looking at that picture, there doesn't seem to be any emergency slides deployed.

Procedures vary, but the first task is to assess the danger to the pax. If deplaning is more dangerous than staying aboard, they stay aboard. Fire crews are trained to assess this, and considering the nature of the event, looks like they made the right call!  Smile  bigthumbsup   goldmedal   praise   relieved   santahat 

PS - I don't know why I threw Santa in there. I think it's because I'm making holiday plans already...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

TVNWZ

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:09 am

At least that new runway is good for something. Emergency landings.

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting SeaBosDca (Reply 12):
NBC implies something is wrong with this a/c, because it was involved in another completely unrelated incident four years ago...

Yes, they love to "link" things, even if they're completely dissimilar events. Hell, even if the previous incident had also been a birdstrike, what would the point have been, that there's some ee-vil conspiracy by the birds to attack this one lone AA MD-80?  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

seabosdca

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 14):
that there's some ee-vil conspiracy by the birds to attack this one lone AA MD-80?

SeaBosDca News has learned that a Middle Eastern-looking man was seen animatedly talking to a pigeon near STL, apparently after discovering a suspicious white and brown object on his new car. Based on this information, SeaBosDca News believes it is possible that STL birds are linked to al-Qaeda. While we have no evidence that al-Qaeda caused today's birdstrike, we urge all STL flyers to be aware of local avian activity, and to report anything even slightly suspicious to the Department of Homeland Security.

sarcastic  wink 

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting Seabosdca (Reply 15):
SeaBosDca News has learned that a Middle Eastern-looking man was seen animatedly talking to a pigeon near STL, apparently after discovering a suspicious white and brown object on his new car. Based on this information, SeaBosDca News believes it is possible that STL birds are linked to al-Qaeda. While we have no evidence that al-Qaeda caused today's birdstrike, we urge all STL flyers to be aware of local avian activity, and to report anything even slightly suspicious to the Department of Homeland Security.

I guess that makes it official then---the DHS is for the birds...  duck 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KELPkid

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:19 am

Anyone got a tail # yet?
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

AgnusBymaster

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:29 am

If it was a birdstrike, fine. But, I still try to avoid those MD-80s. It seems like every time my flight is delayed for a technical problem, it is on an MD-80.

ordpark

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:30 am

I have always suspected that the birds were out to get us humans!!!! What more proof do we need than this? If our leadership doesn't mobilize our military might our 'fowl' friends immediately.....then I fear for the survival of our species!

monorail

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 17):
Anyone got a tail # yet?

N454AA
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

stlgph

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting SeaBosDca (Reply 12):
NBC implies something is wrong with this a/c, because it was involved in another completely unrelated incident four years ago...

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 14):
Yes, they love to "link" things, even if they're completely dissimilar events. Hell, even if the previous incident had also been a birdstrike, what would the point have been, that there's some ee-vil conspiracy by the birds to attack this one lone AA MD-80?

Yes. KSDK is totally implying something is wrong with the plane.

As matter of fact, it even says "there must be something wrong with this plane because a few years ago, it was involved in an incident at JFK Airport a few years ago." I'm sitting here reading it myself. And Kay Quinn even read it during the 5pm news. I called the producers myself to make sure she reads it at the 6 and that Deanne Lane has it in the 10pm and all the cut ins.

Funny thing is if they wouldn't have brought it up first, someone else here would have, and that would have been perfectly ok.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

boeing767mech

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:58 am

454 is having a bad life lately, 454 was the airplane that the nose gear did not extend and had to make a nose gear up landing in EWR.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

ordpark

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:06 am

NBC in Chicago went out of there way to point out that there is nothing wrong with the MD80 and that despite the fact that the plane is 20 years old...they are overhauled regularly and engines are switched from aircraft to aircraft and that nothing should be read into this situation.....pretty fair report, if you ask me.

rj777

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting Ordpark (Reply 23):
and engines are switched from aircraft to aircraft

Is that an FAA approved procedure?

stlgph

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Ordpark (Reply 23):
pretty fair report, if you ask me

what a shame. from above posts sounds completely opposite from the end of the world as we saw above. although I must say, perhaps doing an in depth report about airlines that still have planes flying that were involved in accidents, or worse yet, employees who were involved in accidents with those planes that are *gasp* still working.

i mean, really, might as well, right?

i think Texas is a great place to start with the search. three airlines in one state and one grand old time for a Thursday at ten.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ikramerica

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting TheSilverBirds (Reply 10):
If this had happened to a B6 flight this thread would have reached 150+ posts already and the news coverage would be live outside Barger's office... Unbelievable...

Not any more. They are no longer the media darlings. Amazing what a few quarters of losses, some nasty cancelations, and a new, "hipper" entrant to the market can do to your status.

Now, if VX had this issue, the media would have jumped on it...  Wink

Quoting Ordpark (Reply 19):
I have always suspected that the birds were out to get us humans!!!! What more proof do we need than this?

I saw a documentary about this a while back. It was called "The Birds" by some guy named Al Hitchman or something, and it showed how birds attacked and killed people in some town or something.  Wink

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting Rj777 (Reply 24):
Is that an FAA approved procedure?

Of course it is....  Wink

Assuming the engine was damaged, they'll truck another one into STL, drop the old one, and install the new one, plus make any other needed repairs (cowl, etc.). The damaged engine will get trucked to their overhaul facility, and will eventually be ready for re-use on another aircraft.

lvhgel

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:40 am

form the article:

"NBC News has learned that the same jet was involved in an incident at JFK Airport in New York in 2003. In that incident, the plane landed without the front landing gear. No one was hurt in that incident."

some ships are jinxed or what...

Look at this picture

http://www.ksdk.com/news/gallery/photogallery.aspx?gid=130682

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting LVHGEL (Reply 28):

I hear this aircraft had a flat tire once too...  Wink

No jinxes....

flymd

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 am

Now, if they would only have another 300 or so MD-80 bird strikes we can consider getting some new domestic aircraft here out of ORD!

:D Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

Indy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am

The great birdie jihad continues lol. Bad week for the MD products. A DL jet lost an engine a few days ago in IND. It caught fire on taxi to the runway. I'd be looking for feathers in that engine.  Smile
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

PC12Fan

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:30 am

Saw on the news where passengers were angered by the fact that no announcement was made for about 5 minutes after the issues started. Well want do you want people?!?!? The professionals to deal with the task at hand, or dink around on th PA system?!?!?

I love this one. "An investigation is pending on why the passengers were not evacuated". You think maybe do avoid injuries resulting from an evacuation that was totally unnecessary?!?!  banghead  That ladies and gentlemen is why I hate the media in this situation.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

mattbna

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting LVHGEL (Reply 28):
"NBC News has learned that the same jet was involved in an incident at JFK Airport in New York in 2003. In that incident, the plane landed without the front landing gear. No one was hurt in that incident."

Look at this picture

http://www.ksdk.com/news/gallery/pho...30682

There are photos of that incident on a.net that (surprisingly) no one has posted in here yet:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gail Kapusnick
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Ciasullo

Matt
(BNA)

--
Canon EOS 7D & 40D -- 100-400mm L IS -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 28-135mm IS -- 10-22mm -- 18-55mm EF-S

ly204

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting AgnusBymaster (Reply 18):
If it was a birdstrike, fine. But, I still try to avoid those MD-80s. It seems like every time my flight is delayed for a technical problem, it is on an MD-80.

Glad to hear it was a safe ending for everyone...that being said, it's yet another AA technical mishap. There are lots of AA loyalists on here, but AA seems to have had their fair share of mechanical/maintenance issues over the years...I tried to avoid AA as much as possible. MD80s, when well maintained, are nice to fly on...while AA may have spruced up the inside of their Mad Dogs, I still avoid...for some strange reason, though, I have no issue flying on a DL MD-88...

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting LY204 (Reply 34):
Glad to hear it was a safe ending for everyone...that being said, it's yet another AA technical mishap.

I'd beg to differ, and I work for one of their competitors. This kind of event could have happened (and does) to numerous aircaft types of different airlines, and there's no rational reason to associate with a supposed "AA MD-80 problem".

LASoctoberB6

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 29):

I hear this aircraft had a flat tire once too... Wink

No jinxes....

hehe, i like that one..  Smile
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

bdl2stl2pvg

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:26 am

[quote=TVNWZ,reply=11]At least that new runway is good for something. Emergency landings.

Looks like they landed on 30R, which is now the "middle" runway. Way too much burnt rubber on the runway to be the new one  Smile It would be interesting to know if the new runway was used a lot today because of this. May have had a record number of movements today on 11/29.

bdl2stl2pvg

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 35):
there's no rational reason to associate with a supposed "AA MD-80 problem".

Another factor is the fact that AA has 300-350 of these, even with the same percentage of issues there's a much greater chance it woudl be an AA Mad Dog.

UAL747

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:37 am

I've never had a problem on an AA MD-80, though my mom and my sister were going to join me in Hartford for a horse show and they flew out a few days later than I did and they had a cabin fire after take off, but it had something to do with a cooking element of some sort. The flight continued as planned, but scared the hell out of my mom and sister.

One time, I was flying to LHR from CLT, but I had to fly CLT-MIA-JFK-LHR. Backwards, I know, but we took off from CLT to MIA on an MD-80 and on climbout, there was this VERY distinictive smell of sulphur, like someone had lit a match. Everyone in my part of the cabin was smelling it, but it quickly dissapated as we climbed up to cruising altitude. I was like, GREAT, I'm gonna die on some non-relevant flight from Charlotte to Miami. I mean, jeez, if I'm gonna go down, let me do it in a fantastic airliner like a 777 or a 744 on some longhaul flight. HA.

The mad dogs are one of my favorite planes that I fly on because if you are sitting forward of the wing, the thing sounds like a Lexus LS460 taking off down the interstate. There's virtually no noise, just a swoosh and you are thrust in the back of your seat. Great feeling!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

PC12Fan

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting BDL2STL2PVG (Reply 37):
Looks like they landed on 30R, which is now the "middle" runway. Way too much burnt rubber on the runway to be the new one

Incorrect. They landed on 30L, the longest runway. Which additionally, is really the "middle runway". 30R is the northern most runway.

It would be interesting to know if the new runway was used a lot today because of this.

It's used more than you think, and not just today.

May have had a record number of movements today on 11/29.

Not even close.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

atlaaron

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:03 am

Isn't this two days in a row for an AA MD80? I thought I read there was an engine failure yesterday at CMH.

Not saying it's a big deal or anything just mentioning.

TrijetsRMissed

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting LY204 (Reply 34):
MD80s, when well maintained, are nice to fly on...while AA may have spruced up the inside of their Mad Dogs, I still avoid...for some strange reason, though, I have no issue flying on a DL MD-88...

I don't remember an AA MD-82 ever having an uncontained engine failure where the blades penetrated the cabin...

Seriously guys, there is no AA MD-80 problem. Twenty-five years of service, 350+ airframes, and one fatal accident (which was pilot error) proves their reliability and safety. And no, I don't work for AA.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 41):
Isn't this two days in a row for an AA MD80? I thought I read there was an engine failure yesterday at CMH.

No, that was smoke in the cockpit. A minor issue as it turned out.

777fan

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting TheSilverBirds (Reply 10):
If this had happened to a B6 flight this thread would have reached 150+ posts already and the news coverage would be live outside Barger's office... Unbelievable...

Quoting AgnusBymaster (Reply 18):
But, I still try to avoid those MD-80s. It seems like every time my flight is delayed for a technical problem, it is on an MD-80.

Bwahahaha! I think the reason this thread hasn't jumped to the 150 mark is because it seems like there's a MD-80 incident every other day. AA needs to seriously think about a replacement. Any ideas, anyone?

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

ikramerica

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting 44k (Reply 43):

You warn them and you warn them, but the pilots keep smoking in the cockpit!

atlaaron

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 44):
Bwahahaha! I think the reason this thread hasn't jumped to the 150 mark is because it seems like there's a MD-80 incident every other day.

I've been on many AA and DL MD's and never had a maintenance delay . . . however it seems every time I am on a FL 717 something happens.

Moral of the story I think it is all just personal experience. You get delayed once or twice on the same aircraft type and it gets engrained in your head that there is always a problem.

Revo1059

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:59 pm

Worked an MD-80 flight at ORD in the early 90's where on takeoff the center cap on the fan balde on 1 engine came loose and got ingested into the engine. Smoke in the cabin but no fire. Plane landed right away and it even came to the gate to deplane.

atrude777

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 41):

Quoting 44k (Reply 43):

The Irony is both flights originated from STL  Silly

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

wingletsman

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:09 pm

cool
same bird as the nose gear malfuncion in new york years ago
:D good job landing it safetly

skyguyB727

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Ordpark (Reply 19):
I have always suspected that the birds were out to get us humans!!!! What more proof do we need than this? If our leadership doesn't mobilize our military might our 'fowl' friends immediately.....then I fear for the survival of our species!

It's true! I've seen them on suicide missions. Those birds would repeatedly fly into the picture window in my old house. Of course, their mission always failed. They died before they succeeded in compromising the integrity of the window.

TrijetsRMissed

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 44):
AA needs to seriously think about a replacement. Any ideas, anyone?

Any ideas? Where have you been the past few years?! I wonder, what in the world will replace the 767, any new capable aircraft out there?  sarcastic 

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 46):
You get delayed once or twice on the same aircraft type and it gets engrained in your head that there is always a problem.

Some on this thread are overreacting. There's a short list of airliner types with less than stellar safety records, the MD-80 is not one of them.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

777fan

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 51):
Any ideas? Where have you been the past few years?! I wonder, what in the world will replace the 767, any new capable aircraft out there?

Way to mock - I threw that in there to keep it thread-relevant.

I have nothing against the MD-80, nor AA but am under the impression like others, that their subfleet is aging, tired, and susceptible to more maintenance-related aches and pains than other aircraft in their inventory. A cursory search of threads on a.net I just reclaimed my AA Advantage Citibank card and am hoping that AA opts for more 738s. Reliability issues aside, I think it's time they offered something a bit more comfortable although admittedly, I like the 2-3 configuration.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos