Consolidation Hits Venezuela

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:42 am

From: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles.../consolidation-hits-venezuela.html

This article talks about the current state of Venezuelan aviation.

"Aserca, Venezuela's second-largest carrier, is taking over Santa Barbara Airlines. Aserca has announced it is only entering a "commercial alliance" but senior officials admit that the carrier is in fact buying Santa Barbara from Spanish-Venezuelan businessman Francisco Gonzalez. He has decided to exit the business in a decision widely viewed as being the result of Venezuelan government policies."

"In a separate move, Nelson Ramiz, Aeropostal's owner and an outspoken critic of Venezuela's policies, has bought bankrupt US airline Falcon Air Express. He plans to rename it Ufly Airways and combine it with his wife's Miami-based travel company.

Ufly will lease Boeing MD-80s that Aeropostal sought but failed to lease due to Venezuela's foreign exchange controls. Ufly plans to operate flights to many of the destinations from which Aeropostal has recently withdrawn. By shifting operations offshore from Aeropostal to Ufly, Ramiz will avoid Venezuela's restrictions, but will miss out on some of the burgeoning outbound traffic from Venezuela."

I agree with many of the assertions stated and conclusions reached by the article. This article seemed refreshing because I have not read much about Venezuelan Aviation in a while but I was half-predicting the depressed state of the industrie.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

RE: Consolidation Hits Venezuela

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:53 am

I heard that Santa Barbara Airlines get new ATR42s and ATR72s - so it doesn't looks like S3 will be a longhaul airline.

But the aviation in Venezuela has always a lot of changes.

RE: Consolidation Hits Venezuela

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:20 am

It's a smart move by Ramiz to move as much offshore as possible. It's only a matter of time before Chavez decides to nationalize the airlines and create "Vene-flot" out of them....