TVNWZ
Topic Author

NW On Line Reservation Problems Today

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:44 am

Appears to be a big problem today as NW switches over to a new reservation system for on-line booking. Slow loads. No loads. Offering waved fees for phone bookings.

I am amazed they do not try this stuff out more thoroughly before foisting it on the traveling heard.

Cubsrule

RE: NW On Line Reservation Problems Today

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:52 am

Huh. I used it this morning without a problem besides for the fact that, for now anyway, information may not be entered on the home page. I think it's a nice system; the fact that it's a little slow shouldn't be anything to worry about (or do we feel entitled to lightning-fast everything now?).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 am

Everytime i enter something it takes 2 to 3 minutes to load. And if I try and change the scope of the search (departure times etc.) it goes back to the home page and I have to start all over again. big problem.

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 2):
big problem.

Agreed. It's weird that it's not working consistently. I guess it's because I'm SO good-looking...

premobrimo

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:03 am

The new NWA.COM is in the process of launching. They will be working on it all day.
Now You're Flying Smart.

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):
SO good-looking

(cough) Of course. (cough)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:25 am

Its primarily an upgrade to the web interface.
It initially went live Friday night with additional updated phased it Sat & Sun. night.
With the increased demand during the week, there were some issues experienced today.

PanAm747

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:53 am

I noticed the other day that when I clicked on "multi-city", it went to a strange page that did NOT offer multi-city itineraries.

As of this moment, that feature doesn't work at all.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:54 am

As of this moment, I have not gotten any of it to work at all.

toltommy

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Thread starter):
I am amazed they do not try this stuff out more thoroughly before foisting it on the traveling heard.

Oh puhleese... I'm sure that you realize that it would be next to thoroughly test the beta software at the levels you think necessary.... How do you beta test something that has thousands of hits at once? How many software engineers does it actually take to write the code? Even if they all aksed friends and family to ry out the beta site, theres no possible way to replicate real life usage.

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:11 am

And no way to replace my travel dollar that just went to CO for three trips. Not being able to book a flight (sell tickets to customers on the internet) all day is unacceptable in any business.

PA110

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:28 am

Jeez, I wish I had checked here sooner. I've wasted half a day struggling with nwa.com to book a flight. I thought it was my internet connection timing out. I would get half-way through the booking process, and then suddenly get kicked back to the home page without explanation. I should have checked here first. I would have saved myself several hours of cursing the computer.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

premobrimo

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:37 am

sorry, forgot to say that they are having major problems implementing the new site. They have been working on it all day...
Now You're Flying Smart.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:14 pm

The reservations site is basically still down today.
It is so unbelievably slow and full of huge bugs.

They have waived fees for phone reservations.

Another huge blunder by NW. This type of garbage is inexcusable.

luv2cattlecall

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 9):
that it would be next to thoroughly test the beta software at the levels you think necessary....

I was really hoping you'd be one of those getting in a fit about this...then I could have pointed out the irony in you ommitting "impossiby to" after the word next  Smile!

NWAA330

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:30 am

Made a reservation last night without a hitch, received my confirmation e-mail within 2 minutes. I guess it's hit or miss?

Regards,
NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:41 am

it is hit or miss. Took a long time today with a couple times going back to square one for no reason, but booked one flight. Hope this improves. Very painful.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 10):
And no way to replace my travel dollar that just went to CO for three trips.

I guess that makes up for my travel dollar that went to NW last summer when continental.com was having teething problems...

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 17):
I guess that makes up for my travel dollar that went to NW last summer when continental.com was having teething problems...

Only if you booked three Y fare tickets of over 1500 miles each.  

[Edited 2007-10-02 19:46:33]

burnsie28

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 am

It is an interesting new look to the booking engine, I kinda like it, hopefully it will speed up here soon, im getting it to work now albeit a little slow, but right now you have to enter the stuff on the homepage and then it just takes you to yet another search page to re-enter the stuff. little stupid for now but they will get it working.

bond007

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 9):
Oh puhleese... I'm sure that you realize that it would be next to thoroughly test the beta software at the levels you think necessary.... How do you beta test something that has thousands of hits at once? How many software engineers does it actually take to write the code? Even if they all aksed friends and family to ry out the beta site, theres no possible way to replicate real life usage.

Of course there is. You can replicate thousands of hits by simple programs that call the web screens repeatedly. There are numerous methods of doing this. Don't assume most companies roll-out their new software without volume and stress testing ... it's a critical part of any implementation (NW excepted perhaps!).

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

isitsafenow

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:00 am

Now I know what the problem is....unfortuatly for NW I needed to book a Dec 28 week end trip but the booking went
to DL. Too much of a problem at NWA site at that time of booking.
safe  dollarsign 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

azjubilee

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:17 am

Jeez... whatever happened to the good old fashion phone? NWA still takes reservations over the phone at 800-225-2525. It's been repeated about 3 times now... they're waving the call center booking fees.

AZJ

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 21):
Now I know what the problem is....unfortuatly for NW I needed to book a Dec 28 week end trip but the booking went
to DL. Too much of a problem at NWA site at that time of booking.

I think the tales of woe beg the question: are teething problems inevitable when there is a major website update? It seems that it happens to every carrier. That's certainly not true in every industry. Why is air travel different?

burnsie28

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 20):
Of course there is. You can replicate thousands of hits by simple programs that call the web screens repeatedly. There are numerous methods of doing this. Don't assume most companies roll-out their new software without volume and stress testing ... it's a critical part of any implementation (NW excepted perhaps!).

Could have been not the number of hits, but rather the fact that the server had to be updated as well. Not to mention if its a large file replacing the current booking engine it might take some time to upload all of its code and such.

rfields5421

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Thread starter):
I am amazed they do not try this stuff out more thoroughly before foisting it on the traveling heard

They are tested - but no one can do full testing of a major rollout.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 20):
You can replicate thousands of hits by simple programs that call the web screens repeatedly. There are numerous methods of doing this. Don't assume most companies roll-out their new software without volume and stress testing ...

Yes, but scripts can only run the predicted path / process. They cannot duplicate the random user errors which plague all software rollouts.

I have no idea how NWA's rollout is going - but I've seen the same comments about almost every major airline or other company which does a lot of on-line business when they do a major redesign.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 24):
Could have been not the number of hits, but rather the fact that the server had to be updated as well.

Almost all US companies which have large e-commerce portals use a distributive server environment - usually sub-contracted out to Akami (Apple when your order I-tunes, Audi, IBM, Cathay Pacific, MySpace) or one of their competitors.

Those systems provide multiple entry portals - but the big hit always goes to the mainframes on the backend where the master databases reside.

bond007

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 25):
Yes, but scripts can only run the predicted path / process. They cannot duplicate the random user errors which plague all software rollouts.

Sure they can ... albeit not quite 'realistic'. You can hit the servers with scripted paths and purely random paths, and everything in between. There are many companies that solely exist to create these testing products.

mainframes

Aha... you may have the answer there  Wink
Not too many mainframes that have similar processing speeds to the latest servers (even the Crays have been outdone in the most part).

but I've seen the same comments about almost every major airline or other company

It appears to be less "other company", and more "airline". One reason (probably the biggest) being of course, the lack of cash most airlines have to spend on the required testing, hardware, software, and resources.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

rfields5421

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:28 am

Northwest is not on Akami's customer list though other airlines are:

AirTran
Air Nippon Airways
Airbus Industries
Jet Airways
Jetstar
Travelocity.com

There are about 20 major companies in this business. You will almost never go to the web servers of a major company - but through a distributive Content Delivery Network portal.

Jeremy

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 am

Hmmm.
I am having the same problem with delta.com.
Been trying to get on for two days with no success.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:36 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 22):
Jeez... whatever happened to the good old fashion phone?

They got me trained on the internet. Easier to just call up CO.com and continue on than go on the phone and wait through the "abnormally high call volume" wait. Still get the FF miles.

N801NW

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:41 am

The Minneapolis Star Tribune website is now reporting that Northwest will be reverting to the previous nwa.com booking software sometime this afternoon.

Northwest's new reservation software goes into the hangar for repairs

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:57 am

Message currently on the res pages:

nwa.com Reservations is temporarily unavailable.
We are upgrading our site.
To purchase tickets immediately, please call Northwest Reservations at 1-800-225-2525.
Otherwise, please try back in a few minutes.
Thank you for your patience.

Continue on to the Northwest Airlines homepage

Jano

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 am

The old reservation web site is back.
The Widget Air Line :)

TVNWZ
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:23 am

I actually am impressed that NW pulled the plug and went back to the old site. Now, a little bit more development and maybe it will be back--without the bugs--soon.

It really looks like a nifty site.

This was the right thing to do.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos