B6FA4ever
Topic Author

Jetblue To Start SLC - BUR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:29 pm

Havn't seen this posted yet...

Source

JetBlue connects more of its cities with Burbank-Salt Lake route
Beginning Dec. 15, JetBlue Airways will add nonstop service between Salt Lake City and Burbank, Calif. The carrier will fly one daily round-trip flight on 150-seat Airbus A320 aircraft. JetBlue also flies from Salt Lake City to Long Beach, Calif. "Our customers keep asking for more service from more airports and we're happy to provide it," Frankie Littleford, vice president of JetBlue's Salt Lake City-based reservations department, says in a press release announcing the route. "With our service to Long Beach and now Burbank, JetBlue is making it even easier to jet between Los Angeles and Salt Lake, regardless of which airport you prefer to use."

great news for our SLC customers!

think we can see SLC possibly ever becoming a focus city? only problem though...isn't gate space an issue for us there?

~B6FA4ever

richierich

RE: Jetblue To Start SLC - BUR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Is it me, or does JetBlue seem to be building up a small focus city in SLC? I know they only serve a few cities from there, but it is clear they are expanding. Obviously they are no threat to DL yet, but I wonder if they will respond? They usually start announcing new flights within hours of a competitor.
None shall pass!!!!

B6FA4ever
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:46 pm

forgot to mention...

i also wonder where the plane will be coming from. either some other route will be added to SLC so the airbus plane will be ready for the BUR run...or we're gonna be retiming the SFO or one of the LGB flights. we'll see.

~B6FA4ever

also it didn't have it in the report but here are the flight dept/arr times:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Salt Lake City (SLC) to Burbank, Calif.(BUR)to

Burbank, Calif. (BUR) Salt Lake City (SLC)

Depart - Arrive Depart - Arrive

2:55 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. 4:25 p.m. - 7:20 p.m.

(daily effective Dec. 15, 2007) (daily effective Dec. 15, 2007)

GoBlue

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:51 pm

Loving the expansion, they can get more use out of the space they have and I am sure if they can prove to SLC that they have the demand for more flights there will be more space available. I would hope that they could start to connect all West coast cities to SLC, and then mainline the connections through to IAD, BOS, FLL and MCO. Which would help to remove some of the pressure on their JFK Operations.

Just my 2 cents!

ikramerica

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:55 pm

Seems like a bizarre route to me, and I live near BUR. Maybe they are after the Park City winter crowd, especially for Sundance?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LGAtoIND

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Perhaps this is a sign that JetBlue has been doing well on SLC-SAN/SFO?

jkudall

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:04 pm

It almsot seems like B6 already flies BUR-SLC with as many fuel diversions they have to SLC on the BUR-JFK route.

Wonder what DL is going to do in response (you know they will do something).

Flighty

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 5):
Perhaps this is a sign that JetBlue has been doing well on SLC-SAN/SFO?

Probably, and let's not forget, JetBlue has a lot of employees + perhaps some facilities in SLC. Reservations, etc. So it's not just another town to them.

deltadawg

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:20 pm

Is a once daily going to get the route off the ground? Or, is B6 not expecting any type of counter-punch from DL or WN? I have a hard time believing people will support a once daily when they have DL & WN with more time choices. I may well be wrong but it just seems like if they want it to be accepted they would need at least two departures - one morning and one afternoon/early evening.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

GoBlue

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:40 pm

[quote=Jkudall,reply=6]It almsot seems like B6 already flies BUR-SLC with as many fuel diversions they have to SLC on the BUR-JFK route.

Was wondering when someone would make this remark, they are not the only carriers who suffer from this at time due to weather and aircraft range. Suffice it to say they must have good operations at SLC if they can cope with "all" the diversions there in the winter

floridaflyboy

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 2):
i also wonder where the plane will be coming from. either some other route will be added to SLC so the airbus plane will be ready for the BUR run...or we're gonna be retiming the SFO or one of the LGB flights. we'll see.

Would love to see a SLC-BOS run like they do from DEN and SEA. Also, an IAD would be cool.
Good goes around!

jetbluefan1

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Good route to fly. The SLC-SFO/SAN flights have been doing well (especially the SAN flight), and SLC-LGB has been a good performer since its inception - with now two daily flights. SLC-BUR is a natural fit in their expansion.

What types of frequencies do DL and WN offer on this route?

JetBluefan1

panam330

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Finally giving the West some love! It's about time we saw them take away some focus from the crowded East coast.

SANFan

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 6):
Wonder what DL is going to do in response (you know they will do something).

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 8):
Is a once daily going to get the route off the ground? Or, is B6 not expecting any type of counter-punch from DL or WN? I have a hard time believing people will support a once daily when they have DL & WN with more time choices.

In SAN, DL has made no major response to B6's entry in the SLC market, although DL has just gone to all mainline flights (except a flight or 2 which still operate as Connection service on light-travel days such as 2 and 6); the timing of this seems to indicate it was planned before B6 entered the market but who knows.

(I can report that DL has not responded to the entry of FL in the SAN-ATL market earlier this year...)

Unfortunately, WN has still not seemed interested in getting into the SAN-SLC market although it looks to me like a natural for them. Of course that could change next year...

The thing about once-daily service from SLC by B6 is that it is the strategy they used in the SFO and SAN markets (with apparent success, as reported by Jetbluefan1 in reply 11) as well as JFK (and only 2x daily from LGB)... Personally, I think the 190s are on they way west and these SLC routes would be perfect candidates for that airplane and for an increase in frequency on all of these routes (gate space permitting, of course!)

May I assume this in NOT the big announcement B6 was rumored to be making this month?  Smile However,

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 2):
I also wonder where the plane will be coming from. either some other route will be added to SLC so the airbus plane will be ready for the BUR run...or we're gonna be retiming the SFO or one of the LGB flights. we'll see

This is a very good point. Unless there is a complete schedule re-work in SLC, this BUR turnaround means something else is happening at SLC on Dec 15... Maybe system-wide?????

bb

N1120A

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting B6FA4ever (Thread starter):

think we can see SLC possibly ever becoming a focus city?

It already is a defacto focus city because of David Neeleman's religious leanings

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 4):
Seems like a bizarre route to me, and I live near BUR. Maybe they are after the Park City winter crowd, especially for Sundance?

That could be a minor reason, but the major reason seems to be a bit of tithing.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 7):

Probably, and let's not forget, JetBlue has a lot of employees + perhaps some facilities in SLC. Reservations, etc

jetBlue doesn't have a proper call center, however. They use a phone system that redirects calls to people's homes.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Skip17

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
think we can see SLC possibly ever becoming a focus city?

It already is a defacto focus city because of David Neeleman's religious leanings

Probably has to do more with the fact that he used to live in Salt Lake CIty as well as the fact he was the President of Morris Air which had heavy roots at SLC. Not sure that it has to do with the fact he is ?mormon? Haven't really heard lately of any airline executives starting routes to Rome because they're Catholic.

Besides, its simply cherry-picking routes away from Delta etc etc

They don't have any mid-west focus cities anyway, so this could be a start to building a "real" national network.

ikramerica

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Well I guess if DL can expand at JFK, B6 can do so at SLC. I'd love to see B6 open a hub there, as it would mean that us west coasters can go more places on B6 without them trying to connect us in JFK and backtrack.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

richierich

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
jetBlue doesn't have a proper call center, however. They use a phone system that redirects calls to people's homes.

From what I recall, you are correct. It just so happens that those people's homes happen to be in Utah and not India (like some other carriers). I am assuming that they must have some sort of call center on or near SLC airport though.
None shall pass!!!!

N1120A

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting Skip17 (Reply 15):

Probably has to do more with the fact that he used to live in Salt Lake CIty as well as the fact he was the President of Morris Air which had heavy roots at SLC. Not sure that it has to do with the fact he is ?mormon? Haven't really heard lately of any airline executives starting routes to Rome because they're Catholic.

There is a big difference. While tithing is encouraged among Catholics as well as the various Protestant sects, it is not pushed the same as it is among Mormons. In fact, there were articles about the reservations lines going to Utah as well as his opening of JFK-SLC before JFK-SYR (which raised the ire of the New York politicians who helped B6 get unprecedented access at JFK) being part of his tithing.

They don't have any mid-west focus cities anyway, so this could be a start to building a "real" national network.

SLC isn't the midwest

Quoting Richierich (Reply 17):
It just so happens that those people's homes happen to be in Utah and not India (like some other carriers).

I believe the call centers in India are traditional ones.

I am assuming that they must have some sort of call center on or near SLC airport though.

Don't think so

MastaHanky

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 pm

I could be wrong, but I would think that this is just to squeeze some extra aircraft utilization between the JFK-BUR and BUR-JFK flights.

I'm excited for this, however, as SLC-BUR is my most traveled route. Delta has matched prices on their SLC-SAN flights, hopefully they'll follow suit with SLC-BUR.

pdxcof9

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:03 am

WN doesn't have a flight to BUR. Only on OO. Well this is good news for me. I won't have to be moving as many BUR bags.

And it's 4X day Mo Th Fr Su and 3X the other days.
Flown:733,4,7,8,752,763,TU3,CRJ,7,EM2,ER3,4,318,19,346,M80,90 Worked:CRJ,7,9,EM2,ER4,733,5,7,8,9,752,3,318,9

JetBlueAUS

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:27 am

Interesting route! I think it'll benefit JetBlue in a positive way though.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Skip17

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
There is a big difference. While tithing is encouraged among Catholics as well as the various Protestant sects, it is not pushed the same as it is among Mormons. In fact, there were articles about the reservations lines going to Utah as well as his opening of JFK-SLC before JFK-SYR (which raised the ire of the New York politicians who helped B6 get unprecedented access at JFK) being part of his tithing.

SLC isn't the midwest

So post the articles. We all know the press is ALWAYS right.  Yeah sure I see your point though, and agree mormons are pressured more than other religions to return and support the church. Buuuut, a claim like, a route is introduced for tithing paying? Thats a little extreme without proof.

Where would you say SLC is? The West Coast? ...not quite. Next time I'll be more careful when classifying where an airport is...possibly the exact longitude and lattitude??  Wink

N1120A

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Skip17 (Reply 22):

Where would you say SLC is? The West Coast? ..

Intermountain West.

JetBlueAUS

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:19 am

Honestly, its because of the 2,000 employees that are based in SLC.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

jkudall

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 am

I am assuming that they must have some sort of call center on or near SLC airport though.

They do have a corporate office in Cottonwood Heights (about 20 min from the SLC airport) containing much of their customer service devision (including TrueBlue, CCR, etc). Some reservations call taking and training are done there also. This is their office location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.028539&t=k&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

I think it is ridiculous that some people are so adamant this route and the fact B6 has a large operation in SLC is only because of religion.

SLCUT2777

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:51 am

While tithing is encouraged among Catholics as well as the various Protestant sects, it is not pushed the same as it is among Mormons.

It is required for clearance (a recommend) to attend and participate in temple ceremonies. Mormons began to push it as a commandment at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries.

In fact, there were articles about the reservations lines going to Utah as well as his opening of JFK-SLC before JFK-SYR (which raised the ire of the New York politicians who helped B6 get unprecedented access at JFK) being part of his tithing.

Sounds like Chuck Schumar having a  hissyfit !

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 25):
I think it is ridiculous that some people are so adamant this route and the fact B6 has a large operation in SLC is only because of religion.

Like the Mormons behave like Evangelical Protestants!  irked  I think it is mostly Neelman knew he could get the kind of workforce along the Wasatch Front he knew he needed to make B6 a success more than anything since he is quite familiar with it. I really think B6 hasn't done more in SLC due to the limitations of gates etc...
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

WJ

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting GoBlue (Reply 9):
[quote=Jkudall,reply=6]It almsot seems like B6 already flies BUR-SLC with as many fuel diversions they have to SLC on the BUR-JFK route.

Was wondering when someone would make this remark, they are not the only carriers who suffer from this at time due to weather and aircraft range. Suffice it to say they must have good operations at SLC if they can cope with "all" the diversions there in the winter

They would make this remark because its both funny and true...
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

SANFan

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 19):
I could be wrong, but I would think that this is just to squeeze some extra aircraft utilization between the JFK-BUR and BUR-JFK flights.

As I mentioned earlier in my post on this thread,

Quoting SANFan (Reply 13):
Unless there is a complete schedule re-work in SLC, this BUR turnaround means something else is happening at SLC on Dec 15... Maybe system-wide?????

This new r/t originates in SLC (at around 3pm), flies to BUR, spends :40 on the ground in California, then returns to SLC (arriving Utah about 7:30pm.) The question is: how does this a/c get into SLC and where does it go from SLC at around 8:15 PM? (The s/b BUR flight could replace the afternoon SLC-LGB flight but the return n/b flight doesn't really replace any existing LGB-SLC flights...  scratchchin  )

Something else is definitely happening to the SLC sked; if it were added service on either the SFO or SAN routes -- or both -- I would tend to think it would have been announced at the same time as this BUR service.

bb

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):
Quoting Skip17 (Reply 22):

Where would you say SLC is? The West Coast? ..

Rockie Mountains, or the west, wild west, intermountain west, mountain time zone, certainly not the mid west. I would never even classify DEN as the mid west.

skyyblue

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:55 am

Nice. Now lets get some SLC-FLL.

icebird757

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:13 am

The 190s could show up operating from SLC to west coast cities in May 2008........atleast that is the rumor going around.
LGB....where you can watch the grass grow because the traffic is so slow.

jkudall

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Icebird757 (Reply 31):
The 190s could show up operating from SLC to west coast cities in May 2008........atleast that is the rumor going around.

Well if they plan on expanding substantially, they are going to have a hard time finding extra gates.

FlightShadow

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Jkudall (Reply 32):
Well if they plan on expanding substantially, they are going to have a hard time finding extra gates.

I'm surprised they have the gates to expand to BUR; there's not a lot of room in SLC's A Concourse right now.

Is it possible they "borrow" someone else's gate for a while? I believe NW's goes unoccupied for at least a few hours at a time, and I think CO is the same. Doesn't AA have two, but they only use one for most of the day (1000-2000 or something?)?
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

NASBWI

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:51 am

Probably has to do more with the fact that he used to live in Salt Lake CIty as well as the fact he was the President of Morris Air which had heavy roots at SLC

I wouldn't go that far. Besides, Neeleman is no longer "in charge". Yes, he is on the BOD, but that doesn't mean that the current CEO/COO have no say in the matter. Airlines don't generally make a decision to start a focus city just because the head honcho lives (or lived) there. There must be some supporting factors with regard to the market to sustain a route. Experimentation happens a lot (BUR-LAS, MCO-BUR), but usually there are numbers to support the launch of a new city pair, rather than the "let's keep it in the family" adage.

It's like saying that Neeleman decided to purchase E190s solely because of his apparent previous ties to Brazil. Sounds kinda ludicrous, eh?
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

laca773

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:26 am

I hope BUR-SLC works for B6! Hats off to them for going up against DLX.
Does anyone know how their BUR-JFK flights are doing? Maybe we'll see them add some more @ BUR. The 190 would be a great a/c for them to use @ BUR. Better than those CR2s DLX uses (btw is there any word on DL re-starting BUR-ATL?).

LACA773

jetbluefan1

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 35):
Does anyone know how their BUR-JFK flights are doing?

It's one of the most profitable routes in the system.

JetBluefan1

jkudall

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Well it's not a huge response, but DL is now going to add a 5th SLC-BUR flight (CRJ) starting December 19th.

AgnusBymaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 pm

SLC is a likely focus city for JetBlue, especially because of their mormon routes. However, if they start adding too many routes, they can expect some retaliation from Southwest. If B6 goes head-to-head with Delta, they will probably just downgrade everything to RJs and use the mainline aircraft to start more international flights.

JetBlueAUS

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting AgnusBymaster (Reply 38):
SLC is a likely focus city for JetBlue, especially because of their mormon routes.

The mormon routes? Hmm... then I guess that DL should be considered a mormon airline, since they have a hub there. Neeleman is Mormon. However, he is no longer in charge of the airline.

SANFan

Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 am

SLC is a likely focus city for JetBlue, especially because of their mormon routes.

Huh? An excellent reason to establish a focus city... Not that it really makes any more sense, but did you mean "Mormon roots"? (I apologize if you were deliberately being clever with that comment.)

However, if they start adding too many routes, they can expect some retaliation from Southwest.

WN has done squat against DL but now they will suddenly attack Blue? I doubt it. And I'm not sure but I think WN has the same gate shortage at SLC that B6 does which makes much growth unlikely for either of them.

If B6 goes head-to-head with Delta, they will probably just downgrade everything to RJs and use the mainline aircraft to start more international flights.

Huh? Oh, you mean they'll start flying all those 737s and MD-90s to Europe, Asia and South America (especially since up to now they haven't even connected SLC with anywhere outside of N America?)

bb

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:09 am

B6 looks like they want to be a competitor in the SLC market but like WN and basically delta now they have NO more room to expand in SLC. This is until the new terminal goes up which is why i think B6 is trying to solidifiy some routes a nd FF base to work with. The airport is pretty much maxed out on gate space and even more on the inside of the terminal right now, waiting is common for both the planes to get a gate and for passengers to get a seat while waiting for that plane

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:09 am

B6 looks like they want to be a competitor in the SLC market but like WN and basically delta now they have NO more room to expand in SLC. This is until the new terminal goes up which is why i think B6 is trying to solidifiy some routes a nd FF base to work with. The airport is pretty much maxed out on gate space and even more on the inside of the terminal right now