Mudboy
Topic Author

Where Are Airlines Large Maint Hangers?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:30 am

What Airports do Airlines have Large hangers for multiple aircraft? Let's start with the largest ones, such as, the very long hanger for Delta at ATL, that says, Fly Delta Jets? Seems like I saw more than ten planes sitting in and outside of it. Is there a largest one for each airline, and where are they? Do all hubs have them? Is AA's biggest one in Tulsa? Not just the majors, what about the LCCs?

[Edited 2007-10-04 20:31:59]

commavia

RE: Where Are Airlines Large Maint Hangers?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting Mudboy (Thread starter):
Seems like I saw more than ten planes sitting in and outside of it.

Yeah, that's Delta's TOC (Technical Operations Center). That place is huge - it has multiple bays for all levels (periodic to heavy) maintenance, plus painting, spares, engine servicing, etc. Beyond that, Delta's TechOps division also has other maintenance bases throughout the U.S., including in Boston, Cincinnati, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. They have in the recent passed closed down former bases in Chicago and Dallas.

Is there a largest one for each airline, and where are they?

Yes, though not like it used to be. Most major U.S. airlines used to have multiple large maintenance bases around the country, but today, all U.S. carriers except AA outsource their heavy overhauls, and as a result, there are not many of this massive maintenance centers left. AA still has a few, as does Delta, and a few other airlines have smaller bases - like UA in SFO, Continental in IAH, Northwest in Duluth, but not like before

Is AA's biggest one in Tulsa?

By far, yes. If I'm not mistaken, AA's Tulsa base is actually the largest single civil aviation maintenance and engineering facility in the world. The place is just MASSIVE. Besides Tulsa, AA also has a sizable base at Alliance Airport (AFW) in Fort Worth, Texas, plus another base in Kansas City that it inherited from TWA. Beyond these, AA also has massive maintenance operations at several other airports, including Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (LaGuardia and JFK), and Heathrow.

STT757

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:17 pm

CO has their maintenance bases spread out.

EWR:

Two widebody, two narrow body hangars.

IAH:

Three hangars (one widebody, two narrowbody?)

MCO:

Two large hangars that can fit multiple aircraft in each one, large enough to house Widebodies but used for 737s and 757s.

HOU:

Major 737 maintenance base, multiple hangars.

DEN:

Large hangar, 737 work

LAX:

large hangars for widebody work, mostly 777s.

HNL:

Large hangar, mostly 767s.

CLE:

narrowbody hangar.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

UAEflyer

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Emirates have a massive structures for their widebodies, you can put up-to 9 A380s inside the hunger for maintenance. Many other airlines use the same facility too when they need maintenance in DXB.

zululima

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm

AA's maintenance hangars in DFW may not be as large as Tulsa's but they're quite impressive. There are three major ones now with the addition of the old Delta faclilty, and a few smaller buildings. This one seems capable of housing four 777s at a time (on the left).

Now in AA's hands:

I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

commavia

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting ZuluLima (Reply 4):
AA's maintenance hangars in DFW may not be as large as Tulsa's but they're quite impressive. There are three major ones now with the addition of the old Delta faclilty, and a few smaller buildings. This one seems capable of housing four 777s at a time (on the left).

Indeed.

AA's West maintenance hangars at DFW are massive, and they - along with the ex-Delta hangar - are used by AA for not only periodic maintenance but all kinds of light overhaul work and lots of mod work - MD80 reconfigurations, 757 modernizations, etc. Plus, they also get a fair share of outside contract work. Not unlike Delta's hometown hub ATL hangars.

phishphan70

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 1):
AA outsource their heavy overhauls, and as a result, there are not many of this massive maintenance centers left. AA still has a few, as does Delta, and a few other airlines have smaller bases - like UA in SFO, Continental in IAH, Northwest in Duluth, but not like before

AA also has a sizable base at Alliance Airport (AFW) in Fort Worth, Texas, plus another base in Kansas City that it inherited from TWA. Beyond these, AA also has massive maintenance operations at several other airports, including Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (LaGuardia and JFK), and Heathrow.

don't forget AA owns half the superbay at SFO, so they have a large operation here too

commavia

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Phishphan70 (Reply 6):
don't forget AA owns half the superbay at SFO, so they have a large operation here too

Yep, they rotate 763s in there out of DFW, MIA and JFK for maintenance.

Mudboy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:08 pm

So, anybody have any more pics of some of the above mentioned facilities?

flyf15

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:19 pm

One commonly used outsourcing facility is TIMCO in GSO. Its completely massive... handling aircraft up to 747 size from all around the world.

http://www.timco.aero/

FURUREFA

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 pm

For American, our base at AFW is pretty big too (i think it's second to TUL). Don't we also have a mx base in MCI inherited from TW?

Matt

basrabob

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:27 pm

Well in the UK ,. BA had to construct an extra runway at CWL to be able to do their C & D checks there on their 777 & 747's.....also used as a diversion apt when LHR/LGW are fog-bound.

AlexPorter

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:46 pm

I know PHX has a US hangar that handles all of the old mainline HP planes as far as I know - A319s, A320s, B733s, and B752s. I could be wrong though, and I imagine that US outsources C and D checks to some ATS provider though. Southwest also has some sort of maintenance hangar at PHX, and Mesa probably does, although I don't know where the Mesa hangar is if it exists.

MSP has a lot of NW hangars that handle all sorts of planes - the one adjacent to I-494 seems to handle DC-9s and A319s/A320s. I believe there is a hangar elsewhere on the property that handles the other planes like 757s. I'm not sure where Mesaba, Pinnacle, or Compass hangars are. Sun Country and Champion have hangars on the west end of the airport along MN-77. Obviously the latter just handle B738s and B722s.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

STT757

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Continental Airlines Line Maintenance Hangar
Honolulu, Hawaii

http://www.mortenson.com/projects/project_profile.html?projects__id=82
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

KingAir200

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:33 pm

NWA, at one point, had hangars at ATL, DTW, DLH, MSP, SEA, ORD, and maybe more. ATL was the DC-9 maintenance base, a holdover from the old Southern days. It is now closed. DTW still has hangars, all used for line maintenance. DLH was the 319/320 base, and it is now closed. MSP was home to heavy maintenance, line maintenance, and the engine shop. I believe that line maintenance and the engine shop survive. I was inside the MSP facility years ago and walked through DC-10s and 747s in various stages of completion, and I have to say it was a pretty cool experience. I have never seen the SEA hangar myself, but to my understanding, it is used for A330 line maintenance. I have also never seen the ORD hangar, but I believe that NWA once had a facility there. Maybe they still use it. I also heard that there was a CMH hangar used for DC-9 maintenance, but I have never seen this hangar myself. Unfortunately, NWA does little to no heavy maintenance anymore, outsourcing it to providers across the globe. For example, DC-9 maintenance is outsourced to PEMCO World Services of DHN.

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 12):
I'm not sure where Mesaba, Pinnacle, or Compass hangars are.

XJ apparently has hangars at DTW, MSP, somewhere in Wisconsin, and will be building a new facility in DSM. 9E has a CRJ hangar in TYS, I believe, and they may very well have one in MEM. I believe they also have work done in CKB. CP to my knowledge does not have a hangar yet, although one is in the works for SDF.

bok269

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 3):
you can put up-to 9 A380s inside the hunger for maintenance.

Im pretty sure LH Technik is doing something similar in FRA or MUC.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

memphis

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:23 am

FX has 3 pretty big hangars in MEM . . . I think they also have some out in L.A. and perhaps Indy
nocturnal

worldtraveler

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:29 am

st major U.S. airlines used to have multiple large maintenance bases around the country, but today, all U.S. carriers except AA outsource their heavy overhauls,

While alot of people think that overhauls are the dividing line between outsourced and in-house maintenance, DOT statistics show that AA contracts out more than 30% of its maintenance so they certainly subcontract maintenance.

Most other airlines subcontract overhaul maintenance because it is more labor intensive and can be done by outside companies cheaper than it can be done in house.

Further, DL insources (brings in) more than twice the amount of maintenance work (be revenue) to its facilities than AA does. DL does engine and component work for other airlines which generates more than 20% margins and this type of work cannot be done as cheaply by other airlines.

Further, DL has the lowest maintenance costs/ASM of any network airline.

AA is the US industry's 2nd largest insourcer.

Other airlines do very little insourcing and very little of their in-house maintenance. Alot of it has to do with labor relations and how many assets an airline already has in its maintenance facilities. NW and US have chosen to do most of their maintenance work through contract companies.

UA, which has substantial maintenance capabilities, is considering selling off at least parts of its maintenance operation.

Some regional carriers also have significant maintenance capabilities and Comair is pursuing maintenance insourcing in the same way DL is.

WDBRR

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting ZuluLima (Reply 4):

Are these AA hangars from Braniff I or were they always AA?

wjcandee

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:30 am

B6 sends its aircraft to TACA's Aeroman in El Salvador, to Air Canada and there was some talk about them using someone in New York.

n710ps

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:04 am

Mesa has a tiny hanger at PHX. The US hangers at CLT are quite big as well. PIT has some biggins' too if you stop through. Lest we not forget Delta and US had pretty big ones at TPA which still remain to this day. US used to get the narrow body airbus fleet delivered to TPA where they would do the acceptance checks. Eagle also has a good sized very old school MX hanger at LGA courteset of TWA. United owns the one next to it and they can fit a plane as big as a 767 in there. It is between the Central terminals councourse A and the USAirways Express terminal along taxiway Zulu Alpha. There are also 5 large parking positions in front of them called the Tway line. AA has their hangers as well which focus on the 757 and MD-80 fleet MX work. At JFK JetBlue has a sizeable hanger as well. They have at least one in MCO too where acceptance checks are performed.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

skyguyB727

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 14):

XJ apparently has hangars at DTW, MSP, somewhere in Wisconsin

XJ has (or had) a mx facility at CWA.

antdenatale

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Basrabob (Reply 11):
Well in the UK ,. BA had to construct an extra runway at CWL to be able to do their C & D checks there on their 777 & 747's.....also used as a diversion apt when LHR/LGW are fog-bound.

They didn't construct another runway, they just extended to current one that was there, I am hoping that they will look after the A380 there when they arrive.

extspotter

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

I am suprised that they haven't closed down CWL maint base yet. There is no reason for them to have it away from London apart from them having to start from scratch (Gatwick would probably be best as Heathrow would be too exp.).
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

trintocan

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:57 am

Why close CWL? The space was and is available for it and for possible extensions, the planes can be flight-tested in the relatively quiet airspace around it and the GEAES facility is nearby in Nantgarw (and the interior fittings are overhauled at Llantrisant). Does it really make sense to try to cram ever more facilities into LHR or LGW, neither of which has room to grow?

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

stratosphere

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:22 am

NWA, at one point, had hangars at ATL, DTW, DLH, MSP, SEA, ORD, and maybe more. ATL was the DC-9 maintenance base, a holdover from the old Southern days. It is now closed

The engine shop in ATL was one of the best in the world in overhaul of JT-8 engines used on the DC-9 and 727. in fact when Delta had a rash of fan seperations including the accident in PNS that killed 2 pax. DL came over to see how we overhauled our engines. We used to get around 10,000 hrs on the aircraft before overhaul now the industry average for the JT-8 is around 4500 hrs and getting worse. The nwa of today could care less about quality maintenance that is one reason you are seeing all the new a/c coming online, less maint intensive (for now). The DC-9 is the only old aircraft worth keeping and even it can't be looking all that cheap to operate as the years go by with the added maint costs. Look for the 9 flying to shift to E jets might not be right away but it's coming.

XJ apparently has hangars at DTW, MSP, somewhere in Wisconsin

It's in CWA.

zululima

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 18):
Are these AA hangars from Braniff I or were they always AA?

As far as I know, the large ones have always been AA's. The old Braniff hangar is now the AA MD-80 hangar, which would be to the right of the 2 in the previous picture. In this picture, the widebody hangars would later be built behind the Braniff facility.

http://www.braniffpages.com/1965/images/dfwhanger.jpg
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

SA7700

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:33 am

SA hangers in JNB:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephan Rossouw - FZI Photography

When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

DFWEagle

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:18 pm

AA has hangar facilities at 12 different airports.

Firstly, they operate three overhaul bases which carry out heavy maintenance and overhaul work (light C checks and heavy C checks). They also carry out all engine overhauls at these three bases. All three bases have large hangar facilities in which the overhauls are carried out -:

Tulsa (TUL)
The Tulsa overhaul base is AA’s largest maintenance facility. The base has 4 separate aircraft hangars with a total of 23 aircraft bays.

Kansas City (MCI)
The Kansas City overhaul base was inherited from TWA and has two separate hangars, which together have 12 aircraft bays (4 wide-body and 8 narrow-body). The older narrow-body hangar has 8 narrow-body bays, while the more modern super-bay hangar has 4 wide-body bays.

Fort Worth Alliance (AFW)
The Alliance overhaul base has one very large hangar, with 7 wide-body aircraft bays able to handle aircraft the size of a 777.

Aside from the three overhaul bases, AA has maintenance hangars at 9 important locations in their system. These maintenance stations mainly carry out A checks and B checks on AA’s fleet, as well as engine changes and other unscheduled maintenance that is done when required -:

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
AA has an massive maintenance operation in Dallas/Fort Worth, where they have 5 aircraft hangars providing a total of 22 aircraft bays (7 wide-body and 15 narrow-body). The main complex is situated on the west side of the airfield and 4 of the hangars are located here -:
Hangar 1 (bays 1-3, total of 3 narrow-body bays)
Hangar 2 (bays 4-6, total of 3 narrow-body bays)
Hangar 3 (bays 7-12, total of 6 narrow-body bays)
Hangar 4 (bays 13-16, total of 4 wide-body bays)
The main warehouse is also located at the west side, as well as various offices and workshops. The separate American Eagle hangar is located in the same complex. Around the hangars, there are large ramp spaces providing outdoor hardstand parking for dozens of aircraft. Hangar 5 is the old Delta hangar and is located on the opposite side of the airfield. It has 3 wide-body bays and 3 narrow-body bays as well its own ramp space.

AA hangar 4 in Dallas/Fort Worth. The edge of hangar 3 can be seen to the right of this picture.

AA hangar 2 in Dallas/Fort Worth. Hangar 1 is just to the right of this picture. The white building on the left of the picture is the American Eagle hangar.

Chicago (ORD)
AA has two hangars in Chicago, providing a total of 9 aircraft bays (2 wide-body and 7 narrow-body). Both hangars are located in the northwest maintenance area of the airport. AA hangar 1 can accommodate 3 narrow-body aircraft in the northern half and 2 wide-body aircraft in the southern half. AA hangar 2 is located just across the taxiway to the east of hangar 1, and has two narrow-body bays in the northern half and two in the southern half.

AA hangar 1 in Chicago.

AA hangar 2 in Chicago.

Miami (MIA)
AA operates the semi-circular ex-PanAm hangar in Miami, which has 3 wide-body aircraft bays (also used for narrow-body work). They also lease the associated offices and warehouses, as well as the whole parking area surrounding the hangar which provides 400,000 square foot of outdoor aircraft parking space. The hangar complex is located right next to concourse A (which will become the eastern end of AA’s new super-terminal at Miami).

AA hangar in Miami

New York (JFK)
AA leases JFK Hangar 10, which is located close to AA’s new passenger terminal. The hangar is very large and has a total of 6 wide-body aircraft bays. There are an additional 12 outdoor wide-body parking positions in the complex, including several at AA’s adjoining cargo terminal.

AA hangar at New York JFK.

New York (LGA)
AA leases hangars 3, 4 and 5 at LaGuardia, which are the three adjacent hangars on the west side of the passenger terminal, just next to AA’s passenger concourses. Each of the three hangars can accommodate 2 narrow-body aircraft. The SkyChefs catering facility adjoins hangar 5 on the western side. AA has operated these three hangars since LGA opened and the old heritage AA logos still displayed on their exteriors.

Hangars 3 and 4 at New York LGA, which are operated by AA. Hangar 5 is also operated by AA and is just to the left of this picture.

Los Angeles (LAX)
AA operates a really large maintenance base at LAX, which consists of 3 separate hangars. The south complex is AA’s original maintenance base and has a low bay hangar and a large super-bay hangar, as well as the American Eagle commuter terminal. Opposite this complex is the ex-TWA hangar.

AA maintenance base at LAX. The superbay hangar is at the top of the picture, the low bay hangar in the centre and the American Eagle remote terminal near the bottom.

AA ex-TWA hangar at <acronym title=LAX" />
The ex-TWA hangar at LAX with AA aircraft parked outside.

Boston (BOS)
AA has one fairly small hangar in Boston, which can accommodate 3 narrow-body aircraft for maintenance. There is also a small parking ramp outside where 3 or 4 aircraft (depending on size) can be parked away from the terminal.

AA hangar in Boston.

San Francisco (SFO)
AA leases the southern half of the super-bay hangar, with UA occupying the northern half. The two halves are actually completely separate and have their own entrances and parking ramps outside. AA’s portion can accommodate 3 narrow-body aircraft or 2 wide-body aircraft.

The super-bay hangar in San Francisco. AA occupies only the right hand side of terminal in this picture.

St Louis (STL)
AA also has hangar facilities at St Louis, which were inherited from TWA. I have never been to the STL facilities so I can’t give any details.
Ryan / HKG

nzrich

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:01 pm

NZ does all its maintenance in the hangers in AKL and CHC
"Pride of the pacific"