9252fly
Topic Author

Long Haul Flights, Meals And Flatulence

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:12 am

This may seem an odd topic,but I've always wondered if there is a correlation between the three? I don't want to get into any personal specifics about my own experiences,suffice to say, we may all have suffered from the effects of inflight catering on long haul flights. I'm curious if anyone is bold enough to share their thoughts?

kanebear

RE: Long Haul Flights, Meals And Flatulence

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:16 am

Pressurization has an effect too, as well as carbonated drinks, etc. It happens to everyone. I've gotten in the habit of getting up to go to the restroom if I feel the 'need'... I do worry a bit about what 'happens' while I'm sleeping. Fortunately the cabin noise covers the sound.

Ryanair!!!

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:30 am

I was on TG 603 some moons ago between BKK-HKG and someone in my vicinity let go a silent killer. Potent, it surely was. But what struck me was how long the pong stayed in the air! I know the in the cabin was being recycled but it seemed that toxic cloud of fart stayed around us longer than it was welcomed.. Long enough for us to start ringing the crew call buttom.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

mycrj17

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 2):
someone in my vicinity let go a silent killer.

That's just rude, man if you have gas that bad go to the lav and sit in there for a while. But I know when you do, you can't get a peep out.
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:49 am

Long enough for us to start ringing the crew call buttom.

Out of interest, what would you expect the crew to do about it. Put out a PA telling pax to 'bake it' until after landing?  Wink

Anyway, the crew can be as guilty as the pax. Anyone heard of 'crop spraying'? That is where cabin crew need to fart so walk swiftly down the aisle whilst dropping their guts (pardon the expression) so the pax get the worst of it!
Source: cabin crew member for ****** *******.

ikramerica

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:51 am

Some people get gas from being hungry, so eating food or not eating food may not change anything.

It would be interesting to know if any airline or catering company thinks about using "low flatulence" foods in their meals.

For instance, i don't see a lot of beans used in airline food...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tdscanuck

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 am

I know the in the cabin was being recycled but it seemed that toxic cloud of fart stayed around us longer than it was welcomed..

Even with recirculation, the air in the cabin is changed out far more often than any normal residential or commercial building. However, depending on the aircraft and seat, there can be dead spots in the cabin recirculation pattern.

Tom.

tennis69

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:50 am

He who smelt it delt it!!!!

NG1Fan

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:09 am

Bag of choc covered licorice 'bullets'......

I think in the drier air of the cabin, the smell factor may be less 'intense'.

Remember, every burp is a fart that isn't.

NG1Fan

MYT332

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 am

I'm a disgusting bastard, if I need to go on a plane, I generally just do! It's almost impossible to hear and people can't put the blame on you because there are so many people around, it's the perfect crime most of time!

A few weeks ago me and BMIFlyer were on a BA flight to MLA and I needed to drop one really badly. I guess it was a result of the previous nights beer and beefburger and the expansion of the gas in my stomach as we climbed out of MAN. Well I let it go, which releaved me so much, and I just sat there and then it hits me and damn it was bad! I casually look over in Lee's direction to see if he has noticed anything but he is still reading the BA Connect menu when all of a sudden his head turns right in my direction, he sniffs up and makes a 'what the hell is that smell face'. He then starts rubbing his hands together, smiles and says, "Hmmm, I smell pizza!". Well it took my a lot of might not to burst out laughing in his face! We were nowhere near the galley and although I felt so guilty of what I'd done, I just couldn't tell him straight away. When I eventually did though he was absolutely gutted!..... Big grin

Another case of noteable inflight flatulence takes me back to when I was flying MAN-LHR-DXB-SIN-BNE which was a two day trek. By the time we had reached the north west coast of Australia I'd gotten drunk and sober so many times I'd lost count, ate so many bad meals and I then realised I hadn't been to the toilet for four days! Well that was all my insides could take and I had to do the unthinkable and go for a core dump on an aircraft, something I have always avoided doing!

Sadly when I got back to the rear loo's I found them all occupied and I couldn't bring myself to waddle to the front of the cabin, so I just waited by the rear galley with my friend Glenn who was there stretching his legs. Anyway, I was begining to get bad cramps and I had to let one go while I waited and damn, it was a room clearer. Except, nobody could escape! Now what is quite funny is that unfortunatley for the poor EK cabin crew, I had decided to go do all this as it was their meal time! All of a sudden I hear coughing and then the curtain to the rear galley is flung open and this arsed off stewardess comes out and sprays airfreshener right in my face before promptly closing it and going back to her food.

Man I felt a bit bad about that but it was funny none the less! Big grin

British humour eh?
One Life, Live it.

nighthawk

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 am

a bit OT, but im beginning to enjoy letting one go on a crouded dance floor, its becomming a new hobby Big grin

Last night I went for a curry, and by the time I hit the nightclub it had fermented nicely. I was on the floor, surrounded by a group of lovely ladies, when I decided to let one go. Their faces were an absolute picture. Up turned the noses, then the hands were flapping to waft away the smell, before finally they gave up and ran for fresh air.

Cant beat it Big grin

Pe@rson

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 10):
a bit OT, but im beginning to enjoy letting one go on a crouded dance floor, its becomming a new hobby

Last night I went for a curry, and by the time I hit the nightclub it had fermented nicely. I was on the floor, surrounded by a group of lovely ladies, when I decided to let one go. Their faces were an absolute picture. Up turned the noses, then the hands were flapping to waft away the smell, before finally they gave up and ran for fresh air.

Cant beat it

No wonder you're on A.net so much.  Wink LOL

I must confess to letting 'em go too. In fact, they have become more potent recently. I don't know why.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

babybus

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 pm

I thought it was all a combination of eggs making a nasty gas and wheat in the bread / rolls / sauces irritating the stomach and bowel lining all squeezed out by cabin pressure.

It's all an explosive event waiting to happen  bomb 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

nitrohelper

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:11 pm

I can produce enough gas to power a fleet of taxicabs.
On a long flight , I use the "crop sprayer" method while stretching legs by walking in the coach section. I wouldn't want my fellow riders in business to think I'm unrefined.
A big drop while going past the galley area can be rewarding ,if the service has been lacking.

RJNUT

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Remember, Farts are nothing more than Energy and Information!

GEnxPower

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:45 pm

3 words : Favorable Pressure Gradient.

Human body has an internal pressure in our organs that has to balance the atmospheric pressure around our body. Most of us are more comfortable and balanced at sea level altitude and pressure. When you are in low pressurized cabin, your body tend to be able to hold less pressure internally. For the same reason that your ears pop, internal pressure have to balance out on the other ends too.

Because the cabin pressure is so low in your aircraft, it takes less effort for flatulence and, to be fair, harder for your body to hold it in, and harder also for you to control it (I'm not saying it's impossible). It's just because of the favorable pressure gradient from differences in pressure inside and outside your body. Simple science, fluid dynamics wants to flow from high pressure to low pressure. Less energy/work needed to work the valves when pressure is favorable. Your body has to do much less work to release it into a lower pressured environment. These differences are not minor, if you do some math and look at the magnitudes.

Drinking all that carbonated water does not help either. I know airlines try to reduce flatulence inducing food like beans and other infamous meals to reduce this but cutting out sodas and drinks probably won't sit well with most travelers.

Planes before have been able to gradually increase cabin pressure from 20+ years ago. The latest airplanes, like Boeing 787, will have significantly higher pressure cabin pressure and should reduce some of this favorable pressure gradient.

Thomsonfly

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:24 pm

going back to my avmed.... you expand on average about 30% on long haul flights so its bound to happen. as crew is great cuz you can just blame a passenger  Smile !!

Mark

lrdc9

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:07 pm

How immature  Yeah sure That said, thank god they don't give me eggs or CHEESE! on the flights I take. Otherwise, you would have maybe 150 pax trying to open the emergency door in flight Big grin  butthead 
Just say NO to scabs.

hmmmm...

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:15 pm

You know, before astronauts were blasted into space, they were fed a meal of eggs and steak on the belief that high protein foods produce minimal intestinal gas. Vegetarian diets, on the other hand, produce the most gas. So steak and eggs was the common last meal for astronauts. I don't know if this is still the practice.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

mycrj17

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:18 pm

Well it is a good thing that some airports do not sell White Castles, or Gyro's. Man that would one long ass flight....
 vomit 
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

SCUMBAG

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Oh sweet Jesus! ANOTHER farting post on .net.........!

gomuppets

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:26 pm

I think this might be my favorite topic ever. i started laughing before i even opened it.

I really would be curious to know if the airlines or aircraft makers actually discuss this issue at some point in their decision making process (saying in choosing the meals to serve or in circulation patterns of cabin air).

as for me i generally let it go if i am pretty sure it won't stink, but if it feels like a stinker, i'll go to the lav, just in case it's more than just gas...

kanebear

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:14 pm

BA certainly don't do any 'cuisine fart avoidance'. WAY back when (2002), flying LHR-CPT they offered a chicken curry for dinner. I believe 3 or 4 others in the cabin had it as well. Between the Krug (just before they stopped serving it) and that... it was foul and immediate! First time I'd ever seen a lav queue in F! Not sure if J had the same but they had queues as well (I checked!) I had to go beg some Remegel from the crew! One of the male FA's just died laughing... from the look he got from the female staff I can only assume he'd had the same thing...

OPNLguy

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 pm

For every problem, there is a solution...  Wink

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16656061/
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HT

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 5):
It would be interesting to know if any airline or catering company thinks about using "low flatulence" foods in their meals.

Sure. Like others have said there are not too often beans (and I mean those with large contents of dietary fibres) in inflight meals and also cabbage generally is reduced.

Apart from the food, a number of other factors have an influence.

What to do ?
1. If one has knowledge to be prone to flatulances, chew (or simply swallow) a number of Caraway seeds.
Also adding Caraway seeds to a meal containing cabbage reduces the gas production in the intestine considerably.
Sticking to a diet prior to a flight (few dietary fibres, no beer) might also help.
2. If the unavoidable thing is about to strike, to not try to suppress for extended periods. This will be unhealthy.

Quoting 9252fly (Thread starter):
I'm curious if anyone is bold enough to share their thoughts?

Not during flight, but during my first weeks in the German army:

During morning roll-call most soldiers already were in line, but one roommate of mine had a number of local beers the evening before and was running late. Exactly when he passed the calling officer a enormous flatulance had to make its way to the outside world on that windless morning.
The office sniffed and said exactly two words: "Ah, Bitburger !".

If I hadn't been standing in line overhearing this I would have put this down as a urban legend, but it happend in Summer 1988 at Heinrich-Hertz-Barracks (Kaserne) in Daun in the Eifel region.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

DLPMMM

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 pm

I was in the DL Biz-E lounge in ATL last spring and, to my suprise, they were serving MEXICAN BEAN DIP!!!

Just plain mean!

HT

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 25):
I was in the DL Biz-E lounge in ATL last spring and, to my suprise, they were serving MEXICAN BEAN DIP!!!

... which was washed down the throat with a number of Corona or Dos Equis ?
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Lexy

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 8):
every burp is a fart that isn't.

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it? That's my mantra. LOL!!
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

LHR777

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:16 pm

What's the point of this thread? It's just a load of hot air and gas......!  Wink

Sketty222

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):

Thats is absolute quality
There's flying and then there's flying

viaggiare

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):
I had to let one go while I waited and damn, it was a room clearer

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 10):
I decided to let one go. Their faces were an absolute picture

These are despicable terrorist acts. You should definitely be put on some sort of no-fly list.

Quoting Hmmmm... (Reply 18):
Vegetarian diets, on the other hand, produce the most gas.

Check your facts. It is stuff like the by-products of last night's beefburger that will just sit in your colon, causing it to rot and ferment.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

NYCAAer

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:24 am

At American, we have a "Cowboy Steak" we serve in First and Business Class on international flights to Europe. It's a small steak covered with spicy onion rings on top of a corn and bean stew! I don't know if anyone from our "Chef's Conclave" actually came up with this, because it's the gassiest thing I've ever served. In the middle of the night in the dark cabin, you wish you could light a match.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:43 am

For the record we deal with two types of gas in people onboard the plane. Evolved and trapped.

Evolved are things associated the build up of bubbles anywhere in the body. Symptoms can include pain in the joints (elbows, shoulders, knees, etc.). Commonly called 'the bends'. Like scuba diving and then getting on an aircraft. Far more serious than the next: trapped.

Trapped gas is the kind from beans, cabbage, etc.. One way to get it out...fart.

Long enough for us to start ringing the crew call buttom.

What would you like us to say to the offender? Put a cork in it? I bring my own spray for said occasions and don't hesitate to use it. The longer the flight (or a red-eye), the more common a thick pong is.

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 4):
Anyone heard of 'crop spraying'?

We, in the US, call it crop dusting. Hey, it happens. Guilty as charged. Big grin  Wink
You can't cure stupid

hmmmm...

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 30):
Check your facts. It is stuff like the by-products of last night's beefburger that will just sit in your colon, causing it to rot and ferment.

I suggest you check your facts. Or ask Dr. mom. Beef does not produce anywhere near the amount of gas vegetables and grains produce. The worst offenders are cabbage and lentils. Mankind has known this for thousands of years. Anything fried can produce some gas, but nothing compared to vegetables and fruits, and meat itself produces almost none.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

BOSSAN

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting HT (Reply 24):
Also adding Caraway seeds to a meal containing cabbage reduces the gas production in the intestine considerably.

Perhaps if one were to fly on SAS or Icelandair, drinking aquavit/akavit/brennevin would give one the appropriate amount of essence of caraway seed?

jetjeanes

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:55 am

Wasnt their an pax on a United fight that was intoxicated and rude, and either he coudnt make it to the lav or he was upset, he hopped up on a beverage cart and did his number. Im thinking this was in the 80,s or 90,s
i can see for 80 miles

EWRCabincrew

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 35):
Wasnt their an pax on a United fight that was intoxicated and rude, and either he coudnt make it to the lav or he was upset, he hopped up on a beverage cart and did his number. Im thinking this was in the 80,s or 90,s

Yes, but that has nothing to do with flatulence, long haul flights or meals. Rather an a**hole and indignant behavior.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=480539&highlight=Gerard+Finneran
You can't cure stupid

RP TPA

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks, everyone....

I'll be on a flight in 3 hours......thank you all for destroying any thoughts of the possibility of a pleasant flight!!  Yeah sure

EWRCabincrew

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting Rp tpa (Reply 37):
thank you all for destroying any thoughts of the possibility of a pleasant flight!!

If you can't beat 'em, join em!!! Big grin
You can't cure stupid

Ryanair!!!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 32):
What would you like us to say to the offender? Put a cork in it? I bring my own spray for said occasions and don't hesitate to use it. The longer the flight (or a red-eye), the more common a thick pong is.

Hahahaha... seriously, I don't know. But it was like a reflex action that people started reaching for the call-button. There is really nothing anyone could have done, nor would the gaseous culprit fess up. It was one of those few flights on TG that you had very little crew walking the aisle.

Plane: Airbus A300
Flight: TG 603 BKK-HKG-TPE
Circa: 1988
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!