aileron11

Three Planes On LGA Runway.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:23 am

I was on google earth tonight looking around LGA airport and found two planes on runway 31, one looks to be position and hold and the other half way down and one in the air just about to land. The only problem, I can not copy the picture to show everyone or maybe its just me. So if any one can go on google earth and look at this picture and have better luck then me sharing this image with everyone. I just don’t understand how these planes be so close like that.
Jersey Lou

OPNLguy

RE: Three Planes On LGA Runway.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
I just don’t understand how these planes be so close like that.

They're not all there at the same time. As I understand it, Google Earth is put together with multiple satellite photos, and assuming a world where nothing on the ground moved, you wouldn't be able to tell where the individual satellite photos overlapped. With airplanes moving, you're seeing photos taken at different times, so the aircraft will be in different positions.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PlymSpotter

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
I just don't understand how these planes be so close like that.

The pictures will have been taken at different times and simply meshed together... happens quite a lot. Apparently (although I have not bothered looking for myself) there are several different ships/liners which are photographed in more than one port too.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

aileron11

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks guys for answers it makes sencse, ATC will never let that happen, now iam about to throw my computer out the window it is running so slow i can not run anything it is taking for ever just to type this.
Jersey Lou

smcmac32msn

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:46 am

I think either ORD or MKE has a plane that is cut in half on a runway because of these "split" images.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

jetjeanes

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:12 am

I dont know what is going on with google earth, instead of going forward they are putting up a lot of old photos, Meigs in chicago at one time looked like a bunck of x,s carved in the runway, not it looks like a full fledged running airport. It seems like in some areas they are like 4 or 5 years old now, You would think at least a city the size of chicago they could get it right,
i can see for 80 miles

nema

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:30 am

Similar thread last year with Heathrow aitport showing the same plane on 3 or four approach positions as the satellite pictures were taken. That image has since been updated.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

n710ps

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:54 am

Sounds like the average day at LGA actually. They run a real tight ship at LGA. Launch, hold and generally right as the departure is crossing over the numbers the arrival on the intersecting should be crossing the numbers to land if they are doing it right at LGA. It is pretty common and they do a fantastic job of it might I add. No other city that I get to move through has a better group of controllers than the guys at LGA. PHL for sure rates at the bottom just like everything else about the city. (Sorry Ed) DCA does a pretty tight job as well running the ship. Keep the runway occupied as much as possible. If there is not a bird on the asphault someplace at LGA something is not going right.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Mir

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting N710PS (Reply 7):
Sounds like the average day at LGA actually.

No, it's too close this time. The traffic on final is about a quarter mile from the threshold - not enough time for a departure to get off no matter how you slice it.

The traffic holding in position and the traffic on final are both UA 737s, so they could be the same plane. The traffic further down the runway looks to be an AA 738.

Google Earth has these kind of things sometimes. Last time I looked there is a line of 747s beyond the departure end of 7L at FRA.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos