TWA1985
Topic Author

Western Airlines And OKC-TUL. Why So Many Flights?

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. After looking through my Jan. 1, 1985 and Jul. 1, 1985 Western Airlines Timetables, I noticed that Western flew four flights daily between Oklahoma City and Tulsa (both ways). I know this may not seem like a lot, but for an airline based out west, it does not make sense to me why Western Airlines would be so interested in Oklahoma. I would think that American Airlines, with their main hub only a little over 200 miles to the south, would have served the routes.

This is a photo of a Western Boeing 727 taking off from Tulsa in May of 1986.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Terry Hale

So what was Westerns reason for flying four flights a day between these two cities?

Thanks,

TWA1985
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

peachair

RE: Western Airlines And OKC-TUL. Why So Many Flights?

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 pm

Western used to have SLC-OKC-TUL-SLC in addition to SLC-TUL-OKC-SLC. These frequencies were two each per day.

rw717

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:04 am

At that time there were many odd routings by various airlines. One great example is the LAS-RNO flights opereated by EA in the 80's. At one time they were the only airline flying between these cities, and as a former Reno Air employee I can assure you that it is a fairly large market.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

Matt D

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:15 am

Speaking of odd routings, does Northwest still fly the TUS-PHX segment? I know they were at least up until 2000. That was a holdover from the Hughes Airwest and Republic days. I always assumed that odd routes like that were simply equipment positioning flights. I know both TWA and Northwest did it for several years back in the 90's when MD-80's were flown (on scheduled, ticket-available) between SNA and ONT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MD-And the flight took 20 minutes

PanAm747

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 am

Quote:
Western used to have SLC-OKC-TUL-SLC in addition to SLC-TUL-OKC-SLC. These frequencies were two each per day.

In addition, Western also used to fly TUL-OKC-LAX. My grandmother used to fly that route to visit us in California a lot.

In the days before RJ's, it was not uncommon for two major non-hub cities to share a triangle routing for distant routes. AA used to have many of them, like SBA-BFL-DFW, DFW-BFL-SBA-DFW, & DFW-BFL-SBA.

My guess is that Western probably routed their Oklahoma services as TUL-OKC-SLC, SLC-TUL-OKC-SLC, SLC-OKC-TUL-SLC, SLC-OKC-TUL, as well as TUL-OKC-LAX.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

notdownnlocked

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:23 am

This routing was to get pax from OKC/TUL to SLC and the West. It had pretty much nothing to do with carrying pax OKC-TUL. If WA did get pax on that route is was just an incremental bonus.

ouboy79

Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 am

DL carried this route on for quite sometime...it ended when they dropped the mainline equipment for TUL-SLC and had OKC handle it solo.

modernArt

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:36 am

Western did a similar thing for San Antonio/Austin...rounting B737s AUS-SAT-SLC (x2)...which Delta also carried on for quite a bit afterwards.

NWAESC

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 3):
Speaking of odd routings, does Northwest still fly the TUS-PHX segment?

No, they do not....
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos