archie

FBW

Mon Aug 21, 2000 11:36 am

Hi,
I want to ask why people say that airbuses are not for real pilots. Is it because the FBW. Boeing also uses FBW on the 777.
Don´t want to start a war just curious
Thanks,
Archie

b767-400er

RE: FBW

Mon Aug 21, 2000 12:19 pm

i'm not sure, but I don't think so. Cause the Airbus hateing pilots I've met, said they don't like Airbus because of the "Toy-like" Side stick.

The FBW on Boeing 777's actually have hydrolics damping values, the pressure in these valves in/decreases, with speed, and other variables to stimulate the "Stiff" feel of actual, cable-moving avonics.

Hope that helps, Also, check out the topic "Which makes cooler-looking Cockpits" post, you'll find some intresting info in that topic.

Tony,
B767-400er

RE: FBW

Mon Aug 21, 2000 12:20 pm

This has been covered on a previous topic. But here's my take...

Airbus and Boeing took different approaches in the way FBW was designed in their aircrafts. Boeing used a more conservative path by making the 777 handle like a conventional airplane. It has the traditional yoke with manual trimming and auto-moving thrust levers when A/T is engaged. Also, "soft-limits" was designed in the control laws which means the pilot can override the flight envelope protection of the FBW system...it gives better tactile feel to pilots.

Airbus opted for the side-stick. This freed up space in the cockpit for a table so that pilots can eat their lunch without the yoke getting in the way.