MCOflyer
Topic Author

Is There A Market For NYC-Bangladesh

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:21 am

Is there a market for NYC-Bangladesh flights? With a population of over 400K in the NYC area alone, I could see the potential for flights, but in the end would a carrier like DL be able to make a decent profit on a JFK-Dhaka run? What are your thoughts concerning this?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PanAm747

RE: Is There A Market For NYC-Bangladesh

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:30 am

There's probably a market...but most of the traffic will be VFR (Visiting Friends & Relatives).

Unfortunately, Bangladesh has not experienced the high-tech revolution to the extreme that parts of India have undergone - and business traffic is what is driving the boom in flights to India. Until such time as it does, Bangladeshis in New York will have to rely on one-stops via places such as DXB or LHR.

Also very sadly, the stories of Biman's reliability and maintaining a flight schedule are NOT encouraging, and very few other airlines fly long-distance routes from Dhaka or Chittagong.

Here's a link to an article on Zia International Airport at Dhaka:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zia_International_Airport

When the demand arises, airlines will increase service.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

AlitaliaMD11

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:38 am

Biman operated flights for a while between Dhaka and JFK with a stopover at Manchester with DC-10s.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mike Primamore

I believe their DC-10s were banned from the US due to technicals issues. There was talk about the airline acquiring a 777 to start flights to New York again but I guess that never surfaced.

I hear British Airways does very well with passengers flying Dhaka-LHR-JFK.
No Vueling No Party

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:39 am

I would think an airline like DL could make a good profit off a route like this.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

behramjee

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 am

From NYC i.e. EWR & JFK, the main players to DAC are EK, EY, BA, QR & KU.

I didnt know that JFK/EWR region held a population of approx 400,000 immigrant Bengalis...I was under the impression of it being in the 200-220,000 range!

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 4):
From NYC i.e. EWR & JFK, the main players to DAC are EK, EY, BA, QR & KU.

There is the issue. With that much convenient connecting service, its going to take the right size plane.

Hey... 788.  Wink

Actually, I'm serious. Anyone could make a good profit with the right premium product.

The reality is that the hubs in question (not so much BA) are going to see a dog fight in the next few years. It could be very interesting!

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain