EddieDude
Topic Author

Why No CLT-SAT Nonstop?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:40 am

Hey guys, how are you? I was wondering why US does not serve SAT from CLT... hopefully some of you will have some ideas (or perhaps US flew this route in the past and dropped it, I dunno).

I understand there would be a small number of O&D passengers, and that most passengers would be connecting, but it seems strange to me that SAT is not linked on a non-stop basis with CLT by US.

Thanks for your replies.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Aggieflyboi04

RE: Why No CLT-SAT Nonstop?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:04 am

It is rumored to start, but it has been rumored since the mergre started.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:16 am

I'm also surprised that they (or the entire Star Alliance for that matter) have no service to BTR either. CLT-BTR existed for a very short time prior to 9/11, and I'm absolutely shocked they haven't brought it back... particularly with that airport having (re)gained and sustained flights to four "new" destinations (quite significant for an airport that's long had only service to ATL/DFW/IAH/MEM) years after the storm, putting a serious dent in its erosion of pax to MSY,
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Aggieflyboi04

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 am

We are still waiting to see them lanch more east coast service to west coast cities such as DSM, OKC, AUS, OMA, SLC. The only one that I have seen added latley is PDX there is now CLT and PHL non stops. Also mainline has finally returned to IAH from the east coast.

USPIT10L

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Thread starter):
I understand there would be a small number of O&D passengers, and that most passengers would be connecting, but it seems strange to me that SAT is not linked on a non-stop basis with CLT by US.

US is very short on aircraft right now. Once the mainline deliveries kick in a few years from now, I'm sure the route will start.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 2):
I'm also surprised that they (or the entire Star Alliance for that matter) have no service to BTR either. CLT-BTR existed for a very short time prior to 9/11, and I'm absolutely shocked they haven't brought it back... particularly with that airport having (re)gained and sustained flights to four "new" destinations (quite significant for an airport that's long had only service to ATL/DFW/IAH/MEM) years after the storm, putting a serious dent in its erosion of pax to MSY,

US has tried BTRCLT and it failed. Before that, they ran BTRMSY. US' network strategies, especially USAir's were very unusual, to say the least. There is a laundry list of routes that USAir/US Airways have tried and failed with.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

MSYtristar

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Thread starter):
US has tried BTRCLT and it failed. Before that, they ran BTRMSY

Yep, BTR-MSY (originating in MLU) several times daily with Beech 1900's as part of the US MSY "focus city" if you want to call it that in the 1990's. They usually had around 20 USAir Express flights to regional destinations connecting with US mainline service from MSY to BWI/LGA/CLT/PIT/PHL/DCA.

USPIT10L

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 5):
Yep, BTR-MSY (originating in MLU) several times daily with Beech 1900's as part of the US MSY "focus city" if you want to call it that in the 1990's. They usually had around 20 USAir Express flights to regional destinations connecting with US mainline service from MSY to BWI/LGA/CLT/PIT/PHL/DCA.

Yes, I remember the MSY "focus city" operation well. It ran from 1991 to 1998. Not sure why US felt it was necessary to build a medium-sized station where a line station usually operates. But that's one reason why US lost money in buckets in the early 1990s, trying to be everything for everybody.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

MSYtristar

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 6):
Not sure why US felt it was necessary to build a medium-sized station where a line station usually operates.

The only Express routes out of MSY that saw decent loads were the ones to LIT, PNS, and SHV.

BTR, BPT, MLU, JAN, VPS....not so much.  Wink

Adam T.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm

I pulled out a timetable that I have of US Airways from June 1997 and according to it there were three non stop flights from SAT at the time - CLT, PIT, and AUS

Hopefully we will see SAT and maybe even AUS see CLT service.....would love to see AUS service since I may be going to UT next Fall  Smile

MSYtristar

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:05 pm

There are several gaping holes in the US route network:

AUS-CLT
SAT-CLT
MSY-PHX

and others...

flyingcat

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm

I don't think that mainline deliveries is what is holding back these markets to be served from CLT. Remember that the Airbus order is a replacement order not expansion. There is no net increase in mainline in frames except for transatlantic.

Now the E190 deliveries may free up a 737/319 that may be able to run this route. AUS is definitely screaming for a 319.

phlwok

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Service from the legacy US "East" to places like AUS, SAT, even OKC and TUL is something that I think will happen eventually. In the interim, codeshares from UA will have to suffice.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:23 pm

I think part of the problem with these CLT-Texas routes is that the aircraft that is really needed to run them is the 170, and CLT is historically the CR7 hub. Initially, the 170s stayed up at PHL for routes like PHL-IAH and PHL-DFW; the thought was that because CLT is more centrally-located than PHL, the legs of the 170 were unnecessary and the CR7 was better suited for CLT ops. However, that necessarily precluded new routes that were long and thin such as AUS-CLT and SAT-CLT.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

HPRamper

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 6):
Now the E190 deliveries may free up a 737/319 that may be able to run this route. AUS is definitely screaming for a 319.

The PIT pulldown might also free up some planes.
CLT-AUS
CLT-SAT
CLT-ELP?
CLT-ABQ?
PHL/CLT-SLC
PHX/LAS-MSY are all needed in my opinion, and with mainline aircraft.

The midwest also is missing service, markets like OMA, ICT and DSM have no service to the eastern hubs. The E190 would seem to fit those routes nicely.

cltguy

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:40 pm

Scott Kirby has hinted more than once that CLT-AUS would be a good E190 route. Once they get more of those aircraft in we could possibly see that route pop up.

m992910

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:16 pm

US Airways did serve Austin in the 90's, though primarily through SAT or even IAH. It was announced in Aug '01 that Us Airways was returning with new NS service to CLT. Then of course, 9/11 changed all that. I think AUS is more of a hole than SAT for US Airways, but both need/deserve NS service to CLT. I would even argue that AUS should get NS service to PHL. I think CLT will be Austin's next NS service. US Airways has an oportunity to bite into Delta, which operates the only NS service to ATL.