Dougloid
Topic Author

VisionAire Prototype On Ramp

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:22 pm

I was passing the Ames airport today and saw the VisionAire SE Jet prototype (or maybe a mockup, who knows?) parked outside and snapped this photo. Since a.net is still having issues uploading photos to my profile here's a link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../rluedeman/VisionAireprototype.jpg
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

JBo

RE: VisionAire Prototype On Ramp

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I remember when that thing came out ... I believe Burt Rutan was involved with the design, IIRC. As far as I know, that was an actual flying prototype. I think VisionAire went bankrupt before they could get the Vantage to certification.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

pmk

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:08 pm

You are correct, Burt Rutan was in on the design...well Scaled Composites did it. I had called VisionAire as the company I was working for at the time was very keen on VLJs. From what I recall with their POC aircraft they determined that icing on the inlets was a MAJOR problem and they were trying to fix it. They told me that if they used bleed air it sapped so much power that it couldn't reach an altitude where icing was a major issue. Don't know how much truth there is to that but that's what they told me.

PMK

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Well, Ames was the site where they were allegedly going to build the things and the city dropped a bundle on a new building and all. After the original company burned through their roll they went belly up and some local guy bought everything for about $500,000. I found it interesting that the prototype was sitting behind the ISU hangar all forlorn looking.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn