mon330

What's Bmi's 'spare' Long-haul Aircraft At MAN?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:16 pm

As bmi only has two A330s based at MAN, what happens when one goes tech? Or, if a flight gets delayed by a few hours, how is a knock-on effect avoided?

Mark

A340600MAN

RE: What's Bmi's 'spare' Long-haul Aircraft At MAN?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi all

Both aircraft are used most days. One aircraft does the daily Chicago rotation and the other flies to Las Vegas (Tues, Thur & Sun), Antigua (Fri) and Bridgetown (Mon & Sat). This leaves one aircraft free on a Wed.

The Chicago flight has a 3 hour turnaround at Manchester (0800 arr - 1100 dep)

The others vary, but on average I would say again 2 1/2 to 3 hours turnaround.

The inbound Chicago would not always do the next abound Chicago but might do one of the Carribean services.

Hope this helps

Len
Fav aircraft has to be A340-600

BMED

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:32 pm

If you search on here there are many a time when flights get delayed. I guess that the airline has enough downtime between flights but when they know the aircraft is going to be out of service for a while they lease aircraft such as the tui 767 the had at one point.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

gkirk

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:49 pm

When I was down at MAN last week, one of the 330s was just pushing back from the end of T3 (halfway to the pub) at 3:15.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Airlineanorak

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi,

There are a few options that they adopt depending on the route and length of delay. If they delay is not too long they just fly at the later time. With the relatively gererous turn around times it doesn't take them long to catch up with the delay (a day or 2 at most).

If the flight has to be cancelled then they re-route. Their first choice is to use Star Alliance members (for ORD they fly passengers MAN - LHR and then on to ORD with UA).

For the Caribbean it's more complicated and I guess they just rebook on VS, although that one's a guess.

Bear in mond they had the same problem with the BOM flights (it was daily operated by 1 A330). If that went tech they rebooked on LH via FRA / MUC.

It costs them a lot of money to rebook outside their Alliance, unless they have an agreement with another airline to take the tickets at face value (e.g. on the LHR - GLA route there is an agreement that BA and BD can put their PAX on each other airlines if there is a cancellation and the face value will apply).