flyvabb

Virgin America's Interior -Simply Astounding (PIC)

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 am

Hey guys:

How come there are no previous pics of VX's interior on here? This photograph is insane, i had heard alot of about VX, but i never expected a crazy blue cabin like that.

Look at that "first" class cabin, it just looks delicious! Is it just me or are the colours extremely soothing to the eye. Can someone please tell me what the IFE system is all about?

Thanks
vabb

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nitin Sarin

Up, up and away!

7e72004

RE: Virgin America's Interior -Simply Astounding (PIC)

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:49 am

THat is a nice interior. I heard that the mood lighting is a big hit with the passengers. Unfortunately, i won't be able to fly them unless they come to IND or a nearby city  Sad
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

luv2fly

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 am

Yeah lets she how that white leather looks after a couple months of wear and tear! Red wine and white leather not a good mix.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Flyvabb (Thread starter):
Is it just me or are the colours extremely soothing to the eye.

They don't soothe my eye. I find those colors lurid.

mariner
aeternum nauta

flyvabb

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 1):
i won't be able to fly them unless they come to IND or a nearby city

I'm sure they will soon!

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 2):
Yeah lets she how that white leather looks after a couple months of wear and tear! Red wine and white leather not a good mix.

Haha ha that is very true, but then again, it doesnt look like a domestic airline (US airline) now does it! Those have such drab colours.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 3):
They don't soothe my eye. I find those colors lurid.

Have you ever flown VX? or any aircraft with mood lighting? Its quite soothing, or well, even if its not soothing, its a very gentle light and does'nt tend to bother you.

But the Blue, black and white and bits of red just look very good. Totally unlike a US airline  Smile

Vabb
Up, up and away!

7e72004

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:59 am

It looks like the coach seats are dark blue with the white seats being the first class cabin.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

LASoctoberB6

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Flyvabb (Thread starter):

How come there are no previous pics of VX's interior on here? This photograph is insane, i had heard alot of about VX, but i never expected a crazy blue cabin like that.

I have a skewed picture from my seat of the cabin area in front of me in my trip report... I loved it! Purple and blue in a cabin are awesomeness!!
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Flyvabb (Reply 4):
its a very gentle light and does'nt tend to bother you.

Those colors bother me. It looks like a disco, and I don't find that soothing.

I have flown other airlines with mood lighting, and I would prefer that they didn't. Dimming the lights is fine for me.

And I dislike the white seats. I would worry about marking them.

mariner
aeternum nauta

sh0rtybr0wn

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:22 am

Haha , I don't think the colors are "lurid", but they're not beige either... the colors look less intense if you look at the large image.

How does that Beck song go :

"Those bra burning deportees
At the service station
They know that beige
Is the color of resignation"

Great interior design by Virgin. Its new, exciting, vibrant and fun, but not overwhelming. They'll do well in the states if they bring that same enthusiasm to their onboard service.

I'm looking forward to flying Virgin America, although I'm not sure how since they dont fly out of BDL.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 am

They are very clean. For now.

Wait till they are used, abused, dirtied and the like. Everything is always sparkly when it is new. For anybody.
You can't cure stupid

AirTranTUS

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:34 am

The lighting is too dark for my taste.
I love ASO!

LASoctoberB6

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 10):

Have you seen it in the daytime? Or is that what you were talking about?

Quoting Mariner (Reply 7):
And I dislike the white seats.

The material it was made out of really did bother me... It was too hard... Just something about it really bugged me..

sxf24

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 5):
It looks like the coach seats are dark blue with the white seats being the first class cabin.

Coach seats are black.

SpencerII

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 2):

Arent you the one that said 2 years ago they would never get their certification?
I've been on 4 of their flights and the white leather is very clean and they have a special process to take care of it,
so YOU NEED NOT WORRY!

EWRCabincrew

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 13):
I've been on 4 of their flights and the white leather is very clean and they have a special process to take care of it,
so YOU NEED NOT WORRY!

How old are the planes and interiors? Talk to me in a few years when the 'wear and tear' show. It happens them all.
You can't cure stupid

ah414211

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:37 am

I flew Virgin America last week from LAX-JFK. From their cabin environment, and customer service, to their IFE system, I felt that they had a superior product. The flight was very pleasant, and I would definately fly them again!

AirTranTUS

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 11):
Have you seen it in the daytime? Or is that what you were talking about?

I'm just talking about how dark the interior is with that lighting.
I love ASO!

n710ps

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:57 am

I am thinking of doing a trip just to do it in a few weeks. I am very intrested in the "quality" of their F/A's as well lol.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

LASoctoberB6

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 16):
I'm just talking about how dark the interior is with that lighting.

I liked it... and I'm used to being in bright cabins...

caribbean484

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting N710PS (Reply 17):
I am thinking of doing a trip just to do it in a few weeks. I am very intrested in the "quality" of their F/A's as well lol.

I hope to fly with them one day too, my friend told me their service is great but the ontime performance during the summer was not that great, but a good service overall.
All ah we is one family

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 5):

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 12):
Coach seats are black.

I'm not saying VX is racist but seriously, I'm shocked that passed any marketing/PR test Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

777ER
Crew

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:31 am

Thats the type of mood colours NZs Y+ has on the ceiling, and its real nice. Certainly helps you to sleep.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Tiger119

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 1):
Unfortunately, i won't be able to fly them unless they come to IND or a nearby city

- Who knows, they finish the new terminal, they may arrive here (wishful thinking)

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 21):
Thats the type of mood colours NZs Y+ has on the ceiling, and its real nice. Certainly helps you to sleep.

It doesn't help me to sleep.

mariner
aeternum nauta

NW7E7

Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

The interior looks awesome. I forgot what airline I was on that had mood lighting and it was great! It would be nice if AS had mood lighting for those long redeyes from FAI...

express1

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 3):

Cool wear a pair of sun shades,you be alright!!

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

tjcab

RE: Virgin America's Interior -Simply Astounding (

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):

How old are the planes and interiors? Talk to me in a few years when the 'wear and tear' show. It happens them all.

Well, any decent carrier will not let the seats go w/o a re-upholstering that long.

luv2fly

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 13):
Arent you the one that said 2 years ago they would never get their certification?
so YOU NEED NOT WORRY!

Trust me I am not losing sleep over the white seats.....

captaink

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 10):

Look at the other American carriers. I mean it may not please everyone but this airline is among the most exciting things that has happened in the US Airline industry in a while.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):

All airline have the same problem after a few years. I don't think Virgin America claims otherwise. In any event, as for the short term care of white leather seats, I am certain they have special processes in place to care for, and the choice of white, was not just a crazy sudden idea, but somewhat investigated.
There is something special about planes....

boeingforever

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 pm

i flew virgin america last week from jfk-lax, and like all the reviews say..this airline has revolutionized domestic travel. i fly over 100,000 miles a year, and this was by far my best domestic flying experience ever. everything about it is better than todays carriers. hopefully, they wont lose that quality as they get bigger

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 28):
I mean it may not please everyone but this airline is among the most exciting things that has happened in the US Airline industry in a while.

I guess....they certainly will be exciting if they can make the whole high-cost-low-fare thing work Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

WNCrew

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:30 pm

What is their service like? DO you pay for drinks or are they complimentary (ie sodas, juices etc, I'd expect you pay for liquor). What about food? Is it all BOB? How do they manage to deliver everything on demand?

It all sounds very interesting, but also like it has the potential to be a logistical nightmare on-board service-wise. Obviously they seem to have it figured out so I'd be curious to know how they do it!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

luv2fly

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 28):
Look at the other American carriers. I mean it may not please everyone but this airline is among the most exciting things that has happened in the US Airline industry in a while.

I think that is a Hugh overstatement! They fly to all of five cities, outside of those cities you would be hard pressed to find people who even knew of them. Also anything new is shown at its best light. Wait a few months when the employees are not excited and eager, the seats are dirty and worn looking. Even parent company Virgin Atlantic gets bad reviews on its product and employees, VA will be not different.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting TJCAB (Reply 26):
Well, any decent carrier will not let the seats go w/o a re-upholstering that long.

Right. They will have cleaners for every scuff mark, pen hole and wearing at every turn, overnight and flight  Yeah sure. Wear and tear on seats and interiors happen. Even to the best of carriers.

Not knocking VA at all, just those who think their interiors will look this way in 3-4 years after thousands of people have sat, used, abused and flown in them. The gum, the spilled drinks, the stains, etc.. It's having a realistic approach to it.
You can't cure stupid

ca2ohHP

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 7):
Those colors bother me. It looks like a disco, and I don't find that soothing.

I agree. I flew them SFO-LAX a few weeks back. The flight was delayed because of a crew scheduling issue. Then when we boarded I asked the flight attendant what the cover charge was.

Quoting N710PS (Reply 17):

I wasn't impressed. It didn't help that both segments were filled with flight attendants completing their IOE, congregating in the back. I would have thought they would focus more on heir customers, but I've been wrong before.

ckfred

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:13 pm

This is a little off the topic, but what is Virgin's food service like? Is the food free in coach? Is it just a snack, or is there a full meal during normal meal times? Do they have hot food?

And for the most important question. If Virgin winds up being successful and takes market share away from everyone (WN, B6, AA, UA, DL, F6, FL), will the competitors have to improve on-board service to remain competitive?

ca2ohHP

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 35):
This is a little off the topic, but what is Virgin's food service like? Is the food free in coach? Is it just a snack, or is there a full meal during normal meal times? Do they have hot food?

The only thing that is free is soft drinks. They charge for everything else (credit card only).

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 25):
  wear a pair of sun shades,you be alright!!

Ahhhhhhhh - so all those people in the MTV Awards audience wearing shades indoors at night were actually trying to go to sleep?  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

717-200

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Hope they come to SEA soon. They would be a good alternative to AS and UA to SFO instead of having to fly to that crappy excuse of an airport OAK.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

deaphen

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 31):
What is their service like? DO you pay for drinks or are they complimentary (ie sodas, juices etc, I'd expect you pay for liquor). What about food? Is it all BOB? How do they manage to deliver everything on demand?

It all sounds very interesting, but also like it has the potential to be a logistical nightmare on-board service-wise. Obviously they seem to have it figured out so I'd be curious to know how they do it!

Their service is good, they F/A's are extra friendly and try to act like they are your buddy! The Safety announcement is a fun kind of one, and the f/a's are constantly smiling and seem genuinely happy.

The cabin lighting is all blue, i dont know if its mood lighting, but they have a constant blue, atleast on this flight they didnt have any other colour lighting.

As stated earlier, non alcoholic bevereges are free, while beer, wine, etc is available but you have to swipe your credit card. What i didnt like was the fact that you had to starve if you didnt have a credit card!

But talking about service, once i gave my flight log in and asked for permission to photograph the cabin and cockpit on landing, the F/A secretly came up to me and asked me if i would like a meal, so she got me a nice sandwich free of cost! I thought that was a great gesture.

The ordering system is cool, a bit slow, but good. You just choose your item and select "buy" even if its free and in about 5 mins the F/A will come by with your snack or drink. Pretty pretty pretty pretty cool (As Larry David would say!)

Plus, the a/c are new so they smell fresh and nice, and the windows look nice and colourful too! I thin they have a pink border around them.

Hope that explains a bit

regards
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

dubliftment

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm

To me, most astonishing is the 2-2 layout also in economy (as far as I can see), which from my experience (LH, AF, EZ) usually is 3-3 in an A319/320/321.

deaphen

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting Dubliftment (Reply 40):
To me, most astonishing is the 2-2 layout also in economy (as far as I can see), which from my experience (LH, AF, EZ) usually is 3-3 in an A319/320/321

Thats an optical illusion! It IS 3-3 seating  Smile

nitin

richierich

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm

It's a nice looking seat, but "astounding"??? Pure hyperbole, IMO.

I'm sure its a comfortable ride but let's remember that its Biz Class and therefore more expensive than any coach transcon. If I'm paying double the cost of a coach seat, I expect a more comfortable seat. As for the mood lighting, its a neat idea but I guess it is, like everything, a matter of preference as to whether or not it is better.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 23):
It doesn't help me to sleep.

If sleeping is the objective, who the hell cares what color the interior is?
None shall pass!!!!

deaphen

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting Dubliftment (Reply 40):
To me, most astonishing is the 2-2 layout also in economy (as far as I can see), which from my experience (LH, AF, EZ) usually is 3-3 in an A319/320/321.

Quoting Richierich (Reply 42):
It's a nice looking seat, but "astounding"??? Pure hyperbole, IMO

Just for a better view im posting a picture of the economy section. Its decently spacious.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/deaphen/vxeco.jpg

What are your opinions on the economy seats? I think they look very very elegant.

nitin

cefarix

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Blue is a very soothing color. It's also scientifically proven. Looking at blue light helps get rid of headaches, specially migraines. Trust me on this... I once looked at a similar reddish glowing hue, and it intensified my headache really badly. Looking at the blue, even when I don't have a headache, let's me relax. And you do get headaches when flying in planes, because of the humidity and pressure, and the other changes, not to mention cramping in cattle-class. The best is when it's a gentle hue, like in the pic. I know that the B777s cockpit is colored a beige-ish brown because it helps to calm you and keep you alert. Red is always known to agitate. White is just too bright sometimes, and yellow is too shocking. Besides the mood setting, blue is also good for jet lag!

BMIFlyer

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:10 pm

I love it Big grin

I'm flying VX in Jan 08  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

richierich

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 43):
What are your opinions on the economy seats? I think they look very very elegant.

I think that they look great but a great-looking seat does not mean a comfortable seat. I'm sure they are fine but I'll reserve final judgement until I plant my backside on one for a few hours.... I already know that legroom is not as good as some competitors, but then again I am not 6'5 either.

Quoting Cefarix (Reply 44):
Red is always known to agitate.

Tell that to Virgin Atlantic. I just sat on a VS plane that seemed to have a lot of red in it, starting with the bright red Avis uniforms worn by the FAs! However, I personally did not find it very agitating...!  Wink
None shall pass!!!!

surfdog75

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:59 pm

The product is basically a copy of Delta's Song/current transcon product with a few minor changes. Not surprising since many of the managers came from DL/Song.

cloudboy

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:35 pm

Don't get me wrong - I think they have a good product. I just think their interior looks like a really bad flashback to the eighties. I feel the need to dress all in black with a white pencil tie and listen to Cars songs all the way.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

richierich

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 48):
Don't get me wrong - I think they have a good product. I just think their interior looks like a really bad flashback to the eighties. I feel the need to dress all in black with a white pencil tie and listen to Cars songs all the way

HA! I know what you mean but I think its a bit of a stretch.
Let's be honest - if a carrier has dull inoffensive colors, they are 'boring'. If they have bright colors, mood lighting, etc., then they considered "controversial' and not everybody is going to like it.

At the end of the day, I don't know anybody who choses an airline based on interior color schemes or mood lighting. OK, maybe some anetters do, but we are all an odd bunch!  crazy  It all seems to match VA's friendly atmosphere and that will probably win them more fans than not.
None shall pass!!!!