How Many Pilots On Long Haul Flights?

Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:34 am

On say, LHR-LAX or LAX-SYD, how many pilots on a long haul 744? Captain, Co-Pilot and one relief? Just two? How many?

RE: How Many Pilots On Long Haul Flights?

Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:57 am

4 Flightcrew. Captain and First Officer, Captain and First Officer.

The second pair are sometimes known as "heavy crew".
First pair fly for approx. 6 hours, heavy crew take over for about 4-5 hours, first pair return to complete the journey.

Jmc777

Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:28 am

Depends on the operator and what agreements the pilots have with them.

Many uk charter companies allow 3 flight crew on the LHR-LAX route!

We used to fly DC-10's to Vancouver non stop and get 16 hours rest before returning home! As long as your total hours do not exceed the maximum I dont think there is a CAA/FAA reg on it?

Stephen jmc777 

Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:31 am

JMC is probably right, those were my own observations on the BA 744 LGW-EZE/LHR-NRT flights I took last year.

cedarjet

Tue Aug 22, 2000 6:01 am

It seems that one some airlines operated by developing countries, there are DOZENS of flight crew - Olympic on the Sydney route always seem to have loads of semi-uniformed geezers up there, leaning against panels, sitting in jumpseats. All smoking. I guess the answer is four, at least on anything normally operated at any one time by two aircrew. I guess on a clockwork 747 or DC10 six is not inconceivable, if there is a relief person for each position on the flight deck (capt., f/o, f/e). In the USSR days of Aeroflot, god only knows since most of their fleet (including the Tu134) required a crew of four. Plus skymarshalls etc. Could be 10 on an Il62? Or am I getting carried away now?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz