How Many Pilots On Long Haul Flights?

Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:34 am

On say, LHR-LAX or LAX-SYD, how many pilots on a long haul 744? Captain, Co-Pilot and one relief? Just two? How many?

RE: How Many Pilots On Long Haul Flights?

Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:57 am

4 Flightcrew. Captain and First Officer, Captain and First Officer.

The second pair are sometimes known as "heavy crew".
First pair fly for approx. 6 hours, heavy crew take over for about 4-5 hours, first pair return to complete the journey.

Jmc777

Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:28 am

Depends on the operator and what agreements the pilots have with them.

Many uk charter companies allow 3 flight crew on the LHR-LAX route!

We used to fly DC-10's to Vancouver non stop and get 16 hours rest before returning home! As long as your total hours do not exceed the maximum I dont think there is a CAA/FAA reg on it?

Stephen jmc777 

Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:31 am

JMC is probably right, those were my own observations on the BA 744 LGW-EZE/LHR-NRT flights I took last year.

cedarjet

Tue Aug 22, 2000 6:01 am

It seems that one some airlines operated by developing countries, there are DOZENS of flight crew - Olympic on the Sydney route always seem to have loads of semi-uniformed geezers up there, leaning against panels, sitting in jumpseats. All smoking. I guess the answer is four, at least on anything normally operated at any one time by two aircrew. I guess on a clockwork 747 or DC10 six is not inconceivable, if there is a relief person for each position on the flight deck (capt., f/o, f/e). In the USSR days of Aeroflot, god only knows since most of their fleet (including the Tu134) required a crew of four. Plus skymarshalls etc. Could be 10 on an Il62? Or am I getting carried away now?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos