MAH4546
Topic Author

JetBlue Applies For FLL-BOG; MCO-BOG

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:43 am

JetBlue has filed with DOT for service between Bogotá and both Fort Lauderdale and Orlando. The application isn't up yet, however.

Competition for the 21 new frequencies will be heavy.

So far, DL wants 14 for JFK-BOG, ATL-CLO, and ATL-MDE.

CO has said they will ask for "at least seven".

Spirit will also ask for at least seven, for FLL-BOG.

In addition, NK and DL are protesting AA's use of seven frequencies starting 13Dec07. Originally they were slated to go to MIA-BAQ. However, since then, Barranquilla flights are Open Skies, so they are free for AA to use them elsewhere, so AA will use them on MIA-BOG and MIA-MDE. Lawyers for Spirit and Delta are trying to argue that "since they aren't going to BAQ, they can't be used at all", while Continental doesn't even make the argument and assumes they will become free.

So we have four airlines for 21 frequencies, possibly 28. It is almost undeniable that Spirit and jetBlue will get seven each, as they are new entrants. The rest comes down to whether DL or CO has the stronger application. Delta will not get 14 frequencies, so they will have to pick JFK-BOG or ATL-MDE/CLO.

If the lawyers are able to persuade DOT that AA's use of the frequencies on MIA-BOG/MDE is unfair (the whole argument is based on a technicality and likely won't succede, then each airline will likely get seven.

[Edited 2007-10-15 17:51:00]
a.

PlaneGuy27

RE: JetBlue Applies For FLL-BOG; MCO-BOG

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:00 am

Of course SkyBus will probably apply for service from CMH  Smile

I am sure Spirit isn't happy that B6 came in with an application from FLL  Smile How are they competing on similar routes?

Azul320

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 am

Why all the international? What about the rest of the USA!!!!
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

juventus

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 am

Wow, how you like them apples, Jetblue in Colombia. Hope they get it. congrats to colombia

JetBlueAUS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting Azul320 (Reply 2):

My thoughts exactly.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

shadez

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:20 am

Wow. Very, very interesting. How far will JetBlue go with international flights out of FLL? I knew they were interested in STI, CUN, and NAS, but Bogota is much different. I imagine that they can't add many non pre-clearance routes, as T4 can barley handle all of the planes in terms of gates and passengers in terms of FIS. I imagine NK can't be very happy with JetBlue's sudden interest in Latin America from FLL. Anyway, this really makes the competition for the Colombia slots much more interesting.

Also, what ever happened to NK's Chiclayo route?

[Edited 2007-10-15 18:25:25]

jetblueatjfk

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 am

Ha I don't know about this route. I mean I like the idea and hopefully it will do good but I mean they should focus on connecting the dots like they said they are going to do. But yea.

B6jfk

luisca

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am

B6 moving into Latin America would be NKs worst nightmare. Lets see how this plays out. Latin America is an extremely profitable market, and the LCCs and other US airlines are finally starting to realize this.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

JetBlueAUS

104c RE: JetBlue Applies For FLL-BOG; MCO-BOG

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 7):
B6 moving into Latin America would be NKs worst nightmare. Lets see how this plays out. Latin America is an extremely profitable market, and the LCCs and other US airlines are finally starting to realize this.

Anyone know how many additional gates B6 is acquiring at FLL since they have been adding quite a bit of flights?
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

worldtraveler

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:52 am

However, B6's lack of presence in non-Caribbean Latin America might be a hindrance to them. The DOT has clearly favored carriers in limited service cases that have demonstrated abilities in a region of the world. The Caribbean and Latin America are not the same markets. B6 might be told to develop its Latin network in central American markets where there are plenty of opportunities.

Azul320

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 4):

Think Barger's got the hots for international? Maybe some 330-200s to Europe some day? LOL
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

incitatus

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am

So Delta wants to fly ATL-CLO? Do they have any intention of making money on it? Either they have no clue or this will end up being another Saturday-only expansion.
Stop pop up ads

jetbluefan1

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:35 am

So if JetBlue was given 7 of the frequencies, which route would get priority? MCO or FLL?

In any case, this would be a great way for JetBlue to enter the South American market - and there could be connecting service from JFK/BOS/IAD, etc. But this is a very big deal - a whole new chapter for JetBlue.

JetBluefan1

OA412
Crew

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 11):
So Delta wants to fly ATL-CLO? Do they have any intention of making money on it?

Of course not! DL's sole purpose is annoucing routes that will lose the airline bags and bags of money. I swear it's just a bunch of clowns running that airline.  Yeah sure
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

RCS763AV

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
Delta will not get 14 frequencies, so they will have to pick JFK-BOG or ATL-MDE/CLO.

Which, most probably, will go to JFK-BOG. It compliments AV´s service, the market isn´t saturated, and they don´t have to open new stations.

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
It is almost undeniable that Spirit and jetBlue

Well, it depends, b/c the Colombian government might have a problem with it. They both want the same route: BOG-FLL, and both are LCCs. If another airline has a more creative routing, or a totally new service (like CTG-IAH or something like it), it might get it before B6 or NK. But i agree that at least 7 of the frequencies will be given to an LCC. I bet AV is more than unhappy about it too.

So Delta wants to fly ATL-CLO? Do they have any intention of making money on it? Either they have no clue or this will end up being another Saturday-only expansion.

Well, the CLO market is indeed saturated, but if they operate an ATL-MDE-CLO or a traingle routing they won´t have a problem with the profits.

I am more than glad to see B6 applying for service to my hometown. I just didn´t see it coming, b/c the costs of operating at BOG are high (highest in latin america), and b/c BOG is a mixed market (let´s say 40% business, 30% VFR and 30% tourists), and american LCCs fly to typically leisure orientes destinations, such as NAS or CUN.

Bogotá has been making huge efforts to attract tourists, and it´s finally starting to show. International arrivals are up, as is hotel occupation, and the economy is also feeling the extra money spent by non-colombians.

[Edited 2007-10-15 19:50:45]

worldtraveler

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 13):
Of course not! DL's sole purpose is annoucing routes that will lose the airline bags and bags of money. I swear it's just a bunch of clowns running that airline.

Yes, which totally explains why DL in the most recent quarter was more profitable on an operating profit margin basis than AA or CO and why DL was within a fraction of a percent of CO in the JD Power customer service survey and way ahead of AA. (sarcasm).

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 14):
Well, it depends, b/c the Colombian government might have a problem with it.

The Colombian gov't has no input as to how the routes are distributed as long as it is within the parameters that were agreed upon in the treaty.

I don't really think B6 and NK will both get a route because there isn't that much unique between their proposals. But that will be up to the US DOT decide, not the Colombian gov't.

shadez

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 12):

I don't know if there is enough of a market for 3 FLL-BOG flights. It would probably make more sense for B6 to go with MCO.

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:37 am

I don't really know about this. There are so many markets in the United States they haven't tapped into, like Michigan, Wisconsin so fourth before they should look to Latin America, IMHO
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

OA412
Crew

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 15):
Yes, which totally explains why DL in the most recent quarter was more profitable on an operating profit margin basis than AA or CO and why DL was within a fraction of a percent of CO in the JD Power customer service survey and way ahead of AA. (sarcasm).

I agree with you and was just being sarcastic in my reply. It never ceases to amaze me that some people will immediately trash every move that DL makes simply on the basis that they hate the airline for whatever reason. I swear there are very few airlines on this forum that bring out such hatred in some people.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

skyyblue

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:29 am

Any idea on when the route awards will be announced? Will it be like JFK-CUN (one calender year later...)? I think this is good news for B6. Diversify the network. Expand FLL while we still have the chance.

DAL767400ER

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:10 am

Does the capacity an airline plans to offer have any influence on the application? E.g. DL applying for 757 service (184 seats) vs B6 A320 (150 seats).

Quoting PlaneGuy27 (Reply 1):
Of course SkyBus will probably apply for service from CMH

Emirates would be a more realistic candidate for CMH-BOG than Skybus...

Wow, it only took you 11 posts to come up with your typical anti-Delta drivel, your performance is weakening  Yeah sure .

jetbluefan1

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:58 am

The flight mileage between JFK-BOG is 2480 - within a loaded A320 range. Why is JetBlue adamant about starting Florida-BOG rather than service from its largest hub?

JetBluefan1

skyyblue

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 21):
Why is JetBlue adamant about starting Florida-BOG rather than service from its largest hub?

JFK-BOG is a route that I would imagine seeing weight restrictions, lots of VFR. Also has competition from CO, AA, and AV. MCO-BOG would only pit B6 against Avianca. In FLL's case, I'm sure that the DOT won't award seven frequencies to both B6 & NK, so B6 just put in for this crossing their fingers. Avianca would be the only competitor on FLL-BOG and AA on MIA-BOG of course. I think it is a great start to South American expansion and kudos to network planning for jumping on this opportunity.

Quoting Azul320 (Reply 2):

Why not? Thats where the money is! I'm sure they are still going to connect the dots in the U.S., but why not jump on this instead of sit back and let NK and the others hog up all the routes. It makes sense to me.

FlyPNS1

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 9):
However, B6's lack of presence in non-Caribbean Latin America might be a hindrance to them. The DOT has clearly favored carriers in limited service cases that have demonstrated abilities in a region of the world.

Not really. The DOT gave US rights to fly PHL-China, even though US has no experience flying to Asia and currently doesn't even operate an aircraft capable of flying the route.

B6's bigger weakness is that both they and Spirit are applying for the same route. That would be a bigger hindrance, though it's still possible both will win.

Super Em

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Maybe they want to see how it does from Florida and then expand it to JFK. Plus you know how it is with the Carribbean and South America with the bags. Doubt that plane will go out 150 with all the bags.

exFATboy

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 17):
There are so many markets in the United States they haven't tapped into, like Michigan, Wisconsin so fourth before they should look to Latin America, IMHO

Why? AirTran's expanding in Wisconsin, and besides not wanting to start a fight with NW, Michigan's economy is the worst in the United States right now, so why would B6 want to go there? There's just more opportunity in international service right now.

incitatus

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:28 pm

Yes, which totally explains why DL in the most recent quarter was more profitable on an operating profit margin basis than AA or CO

Delta is a seasonal carrier that cancels out a large number of frequencies in the Winter. If it did not have the greatest results in the third quarter, then it would be doomed.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 13):
Of course not! DL's sole purpose is annoucing routes that will lose the airline bags and bags of money. I swear it's just a bunch of clowns running that airline.

Actually not. Delta's purpose is to try out every route possible. Sometimes that process produces a few jewels like ATL-CLO or a flight from ATL to NE Brazil.
Stop pop up ads

United787

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:43 pm

This confirms my opinion that FLL would make a great Latin American hub for UA. Rather than go head to head with AA at MIA, they could still pull from the southeast Florida market.

laca773

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:44 pm

I think a DL "triangle" type of flight ATL-MDE-CLO will be a great route to operate with a 738 since I don't see them needing two a/c for these flights unless the demand is there more than on a seasonal basis. Then during peak periods I could see them sending a 73G (when they get them) to send during the holiday season.

ATL-BOG makes complete sense for DL to operate either with a 752 or 738 and they can codeshare with AV and vice versa as well as DL expanding JFK-South America.

If B6 starts service to BOG will they offer an upgraded service more inline with AV's Y product (catering wise)?

LACA773

jfk777

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:18 pm

Of all the possible places for Jet Blue to fly from FLL to, why Colombia ? It makes sense for Spirit Airline but why JB, They would be better to fly from JFK - BOG. Colombia has finally discovered protecting Avianca is not the first purpose of its aviation national interest.

DAL767400ER

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 28):
I think a DL "triangle" type of flight ATL-MDE-CLO will be a great route to operate with a 738 since I don't see them needing two a/c for these flights unless the demand is there more than on a seasonal basis. Then during peak periods I could see them sending a 73G (when they get them) to send during the holiday season.

The application actually speaks of seperate service, 3x weekly CLO and 4x weekly MDE, both with a 738

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 28):
ATL-BOG makes complete sense for DL to operate either with a 752 or 738 and they can codeshare with AV and vice versa as well as DL expanding JFK-South America.

I take you mean JFK-BOG as they already serve ATL-BOG  Wink . That route would be served with a 757 if granted, and DL's codeshare with AV will end sometime soon IIRC.

richierich

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:26 pm

Why is JetBlue adamant about starting Florida-BOG rather than service from its largest hub?

I think you know the answer to that question....
None shall pass!!!!

SkyexRamper

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 29):
Of all the possible places for Jet Blue to fly from FLL to, why Colombia ?

This route actually wouldn't be a bad idea for Jetblue as long as they can turn a profit. Since Jetblue goes Mx in El Salvador, they could potentially sell seats 3/4 of the way to BOG and wouldn't be a total loss to the company. It's just a shame Jetblue can't get DirectTv outside the lower 48 states.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Summa767

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Wow, suddenly there is all this competition for Colombian routes.
I would love to see JetBlue in BOG. NK is bound to be given the FLL-BOG authority since they have been working hard to get it for a few months now. But an MCO-BOG by JetBlue is likely, in April 2008 or October at the latest.

The best part of this competition, is that AA, that has served Colombia well, but has had a tendency to drop frequencies when it suits them, will have a constant pressure to use their full allocation. I am particularly happy that MDE will be served twice daily, year round.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 30):
I take you mean JFK-BOG as they already serve ATL-BOG . That route would be served with a 757 if granted, and DL's codeshare with AV will end sometime soon IIRC.

I think that a DL JFK-BOG could complement well to AV's service. Did you hear that AV and DL will end the codeshare agreement? Does this apply just to that route, or all the other Colombia-US routes and beyond? That would be surprising if it happened in the short term. Longer term things might be different, if AV ends up in Star Alliance.

richierich

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:51 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 32):
This route actually wouldn't be a bad idea for Jetblue as long as they can turn a profit.

Which is the whole point of any new route, right??

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 32):
Since Jetblue goes Mx in El Salvador, they could potentially sell seats 3/4 of the way to BOG and wouldn't be a total loss to the company. It's just a shame Jetblue can't get DirectTv outside the lower 48 states.

Except its not like B6 planes are flying to El Salvador daily. Or even weekly. So bang goes that theory....

It will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.
None shall pass!!!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 14):
Well, it depends, b/c the Colombian government might have a problem with it.

They have absolutely no say, the same way the U.S. has no say in which Colombian airlines get the new slots. The only way the Colombian government can stop jetBlue is if jetBlue fails being certified to fly to Colombia, which is a purely objectional test. They won't fail.

I don't really think B6 and NK will both get a route because there isn't that much unique between their proposals. But that will be up to the US DOT decide, not the Colombian gov't.

They aren't competing for routes, they are competing for slots.

US-Colombia frequencies are open-ended use. They can be used from any US city to any Colombian city, as long as they are within the US-Colombia bilatteral (there are no restrictions on the U.S. side, IIRC, but U.S. airlines can only fly to about 8-9 Colombian cities. Though every city they would want to fly to, they can). The routes they are throwing out there are more a technicality than anything else, because the airlines, as AA, CO, and DL can with their current frequencies, are allowed to move them around at their will.

JetBlue's stragedy of applying for FLL-BOG and MCO-BOG is a good one. Let's hypothetically say they only get seven frequencies for MCO-BOG in April 2008. If they don't like the performance of the route, jetBlue is more than welcome to switch the route to FLL-BOG whenever they want. FLL-BOG is the crown jewel here - jetBlue knows it. They also know that Spirit will be after them, so MCO-BOG can play as a safeguard against that. That is the same reason why AA's switch of MIA-BAQ frequencies to MIA-BOG/MDE will likely stay. The argument doesn't hold much water, because Colombia frequencies can be freely exhanged between rotues.

jetBlue and Spirit will get seven frequencies each. There is no question about it. They will also likely get the December and April allocations. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say jetBlue will get the seven October frequencies, too. Why? DOT has a soft-spot for low-fare carriers, and roughly 55% of all traffic between the U.S. and Colombia is going to Florida in the first place. It's a tough call between Delta and jetBlue for the remaining seven, though. Continental doesn't even use all their current USA-Colombia frequencies. They aren't getting any new ones.

This is assuming a few things. First it is assuming Spirit actually does apply. They have not applied yet. Secondly, it is assuming that the revised US-Colombia air treaty continues to have no route restrictions, like the current one. (i.e. the original China-U.S. frequencies that UA and NW have are not tied to any particular routes, but the new ones are).

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 22):
MCO-BOG would only pit B6 against Avianca

Avianca does not fly to Orlando.

Quoting Super Em (Reply 24):
Maybe they want to see how it does from Florida and then expand it to JFK.

An A320 can't make it to Bogota from JFK profitably.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 20):
Does the capacity an airline plans to offer have any influence on the application? E.g. DL applying for 757 service (184 seats) vs B6 A320 (150 seats).

No.
a.

jfk777

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):
An A320 can't make it to Bogota from JFK profitably.

JFK to BOG is about 2500 miles, as far as California from JFK. JetBlue flies plenty to the west coast from JFK. The only factor is the altitude in BOG at 8000 feet. That should be effected to much since the trip north has less bagage then the trip south.

planeguy

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Would there be any Direct TV reception on a Florida-Colombia routing?

richierich

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting PLANEGUY (Reply 37):
ould there be any Direct TV reception on a Florida-Colombia routing?

Only the part flown over or near the US, apparently.

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 36):
JFK to BOG is about 2500 miles, as far as California from JFK. JetBlue flies plenty to the west coast from JFK. The only factor is the altitude in BOG at 8000 feet. That should be effected to much since the trip north has less bagage then the trip south.

Distance is not an issue, obviously. But the 8Kft elevation is... I don't have any calculations to back myself up, but I'm guessing a fully loaded A320 out of BOG would require quite a long runway. Unless they are as long as DEN's runways, I think JFK-BOG would be a problem for B6.
None shall pass!!!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 36):

It's Bogota's climate and altitude that make it a problem.
a.

Summa767

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 38):
Distance is not an issue, obviously. But the 8Kft elevation is... I don't have any calculations to back myself up, but I'm guessing a fully loaded A320 out of BOG would require quite a long runway. Unless they are as long as DEN's runways, I think JFK-BOG would be a problem for B6.

BOG has long runways, but the problem is the weight restriction for an A320 taking off at 8000 ft for a 4000 Km flight. I have to agree that it would be fab if JetBlue did BOG from JFK. If only they had A319s...

richierich

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 40):
BOG has long runways, but the problem is the weight restriction for an A320 taking off at 8000 ft for a 4000 Km flight. I have to agree that it would be fab if JetBlue did BOG from JFK. If only they had A319s...

How long are BOG's runways?
I'm guessing this is why B6 is applying for Florida-BOG and not NYC-BOG.
None shall pass!!!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 41):
I'm guessing this is why B6 is applying for Florida-BOG and not NYC-BOG.

Let's not ignore some other key facts, such as the fact that Florida represents more than half of all USA-Colombia traffic, and that while Florida-Colombia is half the distance, fares are not much lower (in fact, during peak travel, they aren't lower at all and can often be higher), making the market far more profitable.
a.

DAL767400ER

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 41):
How long are BOG's runways?

Both runways are around 12,000ft long, which normally should be enough to avoid too hefty payload restrictions on an A320 headed to JFK.

Rcardinale

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 pm

I think that Colombia would be a great addition to B6's route map and with add some depth to the carribean and latin american markets. Recently did jetblue get new gates because they have added alot of capacity and I can remember when they were tight on gate space.

B6FA4ever

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:14 pm

also to add, if people don't mind connections to fly us to BOG...there is a possibility of up to 13 cities you can connect to/from in FLL to BOG (9 from MCO) with the one-stop. of course this all depends on the schedule to BOG from either FLL or MCO.

heres my question/thought tho... whether we get approval for MCO and/or FLL, i gather the flights will have to arrive into another terminal for the customs/immigration procedures right? not sure what our current terminals in MCO or FLL offer in cases of international flights.

~B6FA4ever

MCOflyer

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 pm

I think B6 will the MCO-BOG as they would be the only players in that market. If that does not work (I am willing to bet it does), B6 can try out of JFK or FLL.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Avianca

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):
Avianca does not fly to Orlando.

just wait some months and you will see them there....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 45):
also to add, if people don't mind connections to fly us to BOG...there is a possibility of up to 13 cities you can connect to/from in FLL to BOG (9 from MCO) with the one-stop. of course this all depends on the schedule to BOG from either FLL or MCO.

The proposed routings are IAD-FLL-BOG and BOS-MCO-BOG.

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 45):
whether we get approval for MCO and/or FLL,

Just a minor correction, but airlines do not apply for US-Colombia routes, they apply for US-Colombia frequencies. Airlines can do whatever they want with these frequencies. The routes are just there to show their initial plans, but they can move them around however they want. jetBlue is asking for 14 US-Colombia frequencies that can, in the end, be used however they please within the limits of the US-Colombia air treaty.
a.

B6FA4ever

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 48):
Just a minor correction

thanx for the correction!  Smile