Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part 62

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/traffic_news/aug2k7annex3.pdf

Indian aviation traffic growth data for the period April 1-August 31, 2008:
International traffic grew at 17%.
Domestic traffic grew at 33%.
Total traffic grew at 29%.

Total number of passengers for the period is 48 million, which translates to expected traffic of about 120 million for the fiscal year April1,2007-March 31,2008. For reference, US annual passenger traffic is about 700 million.

Share of the top five airports is 65%, and the top five airports are:
BOM, DEL, MAA, BLR, HYD.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 62

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Bidding for Navi Mumbai airport to be over by '08: Praful Patel. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...aful_Patel/articleshow/2463808.cms

Quotes:
The bidding process for the Navi Mumbai airport is likely to be over by 2008, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said here on Tuesday.

"The Maharashtra government-run company CIDCO, which is developing the airport, is appointing a technical consultant. The Union Cabinet has already given in-principle approval to the project. By next calendar year, the bidding process should be completed," Patel told reporters here.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 pm

freqflyer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting PNQIAD,reply=91, Indian Aviation Thread: Part 61 :
My brother-in-law was to fly BOM-AMD on 9W yesterday (Sunday) - he booked that 'cos he didn't want to take chance on a single flight out of PNQ since he had an urgent meeting to attend Monday morning. At BOM though - all 4 daily departures to AMD were cancelled - he had to rebook on a DN flight.... is this a little too out of the ordinary for all flights to a destination being cancelled?

The sunday morning 9W flight BOM- BDQ was also cancelled, but an SMS was sent the previous night that the flight was being clubbed with an 11 am one.

Also , 9W operates 6x BOM-AMD except Tue and Sun ( 5x).
Would the commencement of direct international flights out of AMD, esp with EK starting from 28th Oct affect 9W, given that they have the largest share of International pax going on the AMD-BOM / BOM-AMD sectors.

It appears SG now overnights 2 a/c, DN 1, and IT an ATR at AMD. Can anyone confirm?

cricket

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 3):
Quoting PNQIAD,reply=91, Indian Aviation Thread: Part 61 :
My brother-in-law was to fly BOM-AMD on 9W yesterday (Sunday) - he booked that 'cos he didn't want to take chance on a single flight out of PNQ since he had an urgent meeting to attend Monday morning. At BOM though - all 4 daily departures to AMD were cancelled - he had to rebook on a DN flight.... is this a little too out of the ordinary for all flights to a destination being cancelled?

The sunday morning 9W flight BOM- BDQ was also cancelled, but an SMS was sent the previous night that the flight was being clubbed with an 11 am one.

9W's super-tight 737 operation has been rather heavily hit with a couple of bird-hit incidents - the one at Nagpur took a 737-800 out of the picture, and yesterday a 737-700 had a suspected bird-hit at Jaipur (the bird hit the underside of the wing, and after a quick spray it the plane could fly again).

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 3):
Would the commencement of direct international flights out of AMD, esp with EK starting from 28th Oct affect 9W, given that they have the largest share of International pax going on the AMD-BOM / BOM-AMD sectors.

9W canned its AMD-LHR service and shifted the slots to ATQ... I still believe AMD can be a huge intl hub, it needs US connectivity!
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

BigTom

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 4):
9W canned its AMD-LHR service and shifted the slots to ATQ... I still believe AMD can be a huge intl hub, it needs US connectivity!

Was AMD-LHR loads that bad? Or was it just marketed badly? I would have thought that AMD would be a popular destination out of the UK.

Cheers

freqflyer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting BigTom (Reply 5):
Was AMD-LHR loads that bad? Or was it just marketed badly? I would have thought that AMD would be a popular destination out of the UK.

An important factor why lots of pax avoid AMD is the terrible attitude of the customs people. The entire customs staff has been shifted twice, probably when they tried to extort from an influential passenger. Though things have started improving, a lot of AMD residents prefer to travel through BOM / DEL for this reason. Hopefully, with the increasing no. of flights , AMD will get better staff, not just people not welcome in the major airports.

Another factor is the terminal itself, which is just a glorified govt. building. Next to the new domestic terminal, it is pathetic. Work on the new international terminal has started now, but it is being built a longish distance away from the new domestic terminal. The old one is right next to it. Things should improve once the new building is operational.

cricket

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 6):
Another factor is the terminal itself, which is just a glorified govt. building. Next to the new domestic terminal, it is pathetic. Work on the new international terminal has started now, but it is being built a longish distance away from the new domestic terminal. The old one is right next to it. Things should improve once the new building is operational.

Never flown thru the Intl Terminal at AMD, but from the plans I have seen for the new terminal it will quite something. Modi wants AMD to become a hub airport...
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 6):
An important factor why lots of pax avoid AMD is the terrible attitude of the customs people. The entire customs staff has been shifted twice, probably when they tried to extort from an influential passenger. Though things have started improving, a lot of AMD residents prefer to travel through BOM / DEL for this reason.

Reminds me of how one flight from ME to Kerala--this is going back many years--had just one passenger as Customs was perceived to be a nightmare. Passengers preferred to connect through BOM instead. I know things have changed, but is there still a preference for BOM over airports in Kerala if you are bringing in a lot of stuff?

cakentennis

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:28 pm

The last time I came to India, I flew KU out of JFK. There was a 6 hour transit period between my incoming flight and outgoing KU to AMD.

When we landed, I was the first to deboard and first in line for immigration. The officer waited a full 5 minutes to finish chewing his tobacco and then proceeded to attend to us passengers. It's always a pain coming into AMD.

I thought about writing a trip report, but the experience was so horrible, I decided to can the idea and spare A.netters the wrath of my disgust for both KU and AMD.

This time around I'm going to be flying RJ into DEL. I've flown them before in 99' and liked them. Pray they don't disappoint me.

AI

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 pm

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1192616045.html

Airbus Sees More A380 Orders From Asia
October 17, 2007
Airbus expects to receive new orders for its A380 superjumbo by the middle of next year from Asian airlines such as Air India and Air China, the planemaker's chief salesman said on Wednesday.

"The next one who is going to make a decision is probably Air India. We've been in discussions with them about the airplane. We have been in discussions with Japanese carriers, we have been in discussions with Chinese carriers," Airbus sales chief John Leahy told reporters.

"I would like to believe that we should have new orders by the middle of next year."

Speaking on the sidelines of a welcome event by Singapore Airlines for its first A380, Leahy said he expected to receive additional orders from the state-controlled carrier.

"I think they want to get the airplane into operation now but I think it's inevitable that Singapore will have return orders."

surely that cant be right. I am sure John Leahy knows how the govt. of India & AI work. It bloody took them years if not decades & multiple committes to place their order with Boeing last year. They cant be efficient enough to place their next order by the middle of next year ?? I would definitely be surprised if that happened.

AI.

leftwing

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:18 am

[b]surely that cant be right. I am sure John Leahy knows how the govt. of India & AI work[b]

one look at the AI training center will send you crying for help....

freqflyer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 7):
Never flown thru the Intl Terminal at AMD, but from the plans I have seen for the new terminal it will quite something. Modi wants AMD to become a hub airport...

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that 60% of pax thru BOM originated from Gujarat. There was also an estimate that about 1000 cr is spent every year by Gujaratis and their relatives who travel to BOM to catch Intl flights ( I have no idea about the authencity of these figures, but if you consider that for relatives coming and going in the NRG season, on average 2 people go to BOM to receive and see them off again, with some shopping thrown in) One of the reasons given for Mumbai based pols not to allow AMD to have an Intl Airport. The same percentage was given by SQ - the no of pax from Guj boarding its flights from BOM

The move to lengthen the runway, as the first step to getting International flights was started by Chimanbhai Patel, and the NDA decided that AMD would have a world class terminal. It seems one of PP's first acts as MoCA was to stop work on the terminal and "re-assess" the design which was given to the designers of Changi, iirc., and only Modis good equation with him has got the project going again. Also the fact that PP has a lot of business interests in Gujarat.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 12):
read somewhere, a long time ago, that 60% of pax thru BOM originated from Gujarat

If true, then Jet's decision to discontinue AMD-LHR baffles me. I am leaning towards the above figures being grossly exaggerated.

karan69

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 13):
If true, then Jet's decision to discontinue AMD-LHR baffles me.

it was not that it did that badly , 50-60% loads were pretty decent considering it was a day time AMD departure 3x wekly service, it was just that AT performance was so much more better they decided to discontinuoe.

Karan

BigTom

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 9):
This time around I'm going to be flying RJ into DEL. I've flown them before in 99' and liked them. Pray they don't disappoint me.

RJ can be a bit up and down, why don't you try QR or EK? Might work out better for you.

Your experience at AMD used to be repeated ad nauseam in most of the smaller international airports in India earlier. I remember having real wrangles with immigration and customs in TRV and Chennai in the early to mid-nineties. Thankfully these seemed to have eased of late. Have a good trip anyway.

Cheers

cricket

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 14):
it was not that it did that badly , 50-60% loads were pretty decent considering it was a day time AMD departure 3x wekly service, it was just that AT performance was so much more better they decided to discontinuoe.

90% loads thru ATQ with higher yields, made logical sense for 9W!

Also keep in mind that despite the roads, not all Gujarati's travel through AMD. 9W has fantastic connectivity throughout Gujarat to BOM, incl double-daily flights to several smaller population centres in the state. In fact in Bhuj or even Baroda, it is easier going through BOM than AMD. There was a proposal by the Gujarat Govet to start their own intra-state airline, whatever happened to that?

karan69

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 16):
There was a proposal by the Gujarat Govet to start their own intra-state airline, whatever happened to that?

I heard of this as well apparently now they are analyzing which aircraft category to purchase , below or above 40 seats

Karan

freqflyer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:46 am

not all Gujarati's travel through AMD. 9W has fantastic connectivity throughout Gujarat to BOM, incl double-daily flights to several smaller population centres in the state. In fact in Bhuj or even Baroda, it is easier going through BOM than AMD

It is a viscious circle - the lack of flights is caused by pax preferring BOM/DEL . As the pax numbers are less, airlines avoid AMD. However, the entry of EK and QR is likely to change a lot of things. UL were supposed to start AMD, whatever happened to them? Will EK's entry scupper their chances permanently? If BA / VS and LH also get interested, things should really start rolling.

vtnyc

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 8):
Reminds me of how one flight from ME to Kerala--this is going back many years--had just one passenger as Customs was perceived to be a nightmare. Passengers preferred to connect through BOM instead. I know things have changed, but is there still a preference for BOM over airports in Kerala if you are bringing in a lot of stuff?

Mallus would rather give up their first born than fly thru BOM/DEL. Lack of fluency in the local language coupled with high handed treatment of the southies by the customs made the transit in BOM/DEL a nightmare. Upon arriving in BOM in 1985, I found a customs hall overflowing with passengers disgorged from a Saudia and and AI 747 from the Middle East. Upon being informed that the customs wait was about 5 hours, I tried my luck with the green channel and coming off a flight originating in the western world and looking slightly educated, I was let thru. I felt pity for the uneducated gulf worker walking in with a rolled up bamboo mat on his head, who I was sure would be fleeced by the guys up front. The anomaly of the 1 passenger flight probably had more to do with AI "effeing" up it's schedule.
First Flight, PA001 DEL-FRA-LHR-JFK; Dream- JFK-COK on a B6 787

BigTom

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, from the time flights from the Gulf to Kerala/TN and AP destinations became more common, most passengers heading to South India from the Gulf began avoiding BOM/DEL like the plague, mostly because of hostile treatment from immigration and customs personnel there. I was once on a flight in to BOM from BKK that landed around the same time as two Gulf flights. The lines at Customs were huge, and passengers - especially those who looked like they were unsure of their rights - were being badgered into giving up any foreign currency they carried in their wallets on the pretext that it was illegal. It was sickening to watch, and all officials involved appeared to be hand in glove with the whole scheme. Can't blame Mallus/Tamils etc for avoiding our big cities. That said, things have changed tremendously nowadays and even 'labour' pax know their way around a lot more now and are not so easily pushed around.

Cheers

Gr8Circle

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting VTNYC (Reply 19):
Lack of fluency in the local language coupled with high handed treatment of the southies by the customs

Quoting BigTom (Reply 20):
Can't blame Mallus/Tamils etc for avoiding our big cities

Have you guys noticed that a good number of customs officers at BOM are south Indians....? In fact, you find a good representation of customs officers from all over India.....so, it's not an "anti-Southie" issue...it's just the sickening behaviour and attitude of the said customs dept. towards all arriving passengers....

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 14):

Then BA would do very well by offering a daily flight to LHR with immediate connectivity to their North American flights. Are the Indo-UK bilateral rights fully utilized on the UK side?

karan69

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 22):
Then BA would do very well by offering a daily flight to LHR with immediate connectivity to their North American flights. Are the Indo-UK bilateral rights fully utilized on the UK side?

Boss where will they get additional aircraft capacity and low yielding LHR early morning slots from to transfer it to AMD, but i do get your very valid point

Karan

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 23):
Boss where will they get additional aircraft capacity and low yielding LHR early morning slots from to transfer it to AMD, but i do get your very valid point

If AMD has such potential--as implied by many--then why did BA choose CCU over it? Does anyone know if bilateral rights are fully utilized on UK side?

Also keep in mind that despite the roads, not all Gujarati's travel through AMD. 9W has fantastic connectivity throughout Gujarat to BOM, incl double-daily flights to several smaller population centres in the state. In fact in Bhuj or even Baroda, it is easier going through BOM than AMD.

Good point. I see an opportunity for EK to offer services to these smaller population centres(3x weekly), and provide decent connectivity to UK/NA. Does EK fly to AMD? If yes, is it doing well?

BigTom

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 24):
Does EK fly to AMD? If yes, is it doing well?

Early days yet, they've just started AMD flights.

Cheers

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting BigTom (Reply 25):
Does EK fly to AMD? If yes, is it doing well?

Cheers

Thanks. I am sure it will do very well as it should be able to attract passengers from the discontinued Jet AMD-LHR flight. I hope they have decent transit time, both to UK and NA.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:00 pm

AI BOM-JFK Non-Stop Struggling (by LAXDESI Oct 18 2007 in Civil Aviation)

cakentennis

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting BigTom (Reply 15):
RJ can be a bit up and down, why don't you try QR or EK? Might work out better for you.

Your experience at AMD used to be repeated ad nauseam in most of the smaller international airports in India earlier. I remember having real wrangles with immigration and customs in TRV and Chennai in the early to mid-nineties. Thankfully these seemed to have eased of late. Have a good trip anyway.

I'm hoping that they have their new IFE installed in their A342s soon. I haven't flown QR and EK was a bit of a downer for me. I really just felt like flying on RJ again. lol

If AMD has such potential--as implied by many--then why did BA choose CCU over it? Does anyone know if bilateral rights are fully utilized on UK side?

I'm guessing any further expansion into AMD would have to wait until the airport has the capacity to accommodate these airlines. Space is a big issue at the International terminal there. You should see how the SQ and MH offices are squeezed in together between a dilapidated coffee shop and the AI office.

They don't have enough man power either, which is a surprise considering most Indian airports are ridiculously over staffed. The new domestic terminal is also a joke! The acoustics are horribly flawed and every time an announcement is made, it just echoes everywhere.

Meh! but I digress!  Yeah sure

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 28):
The new domestic terminal is also a joke! The acoustics are horribly flawed and every time an announcement is made,

I don't remember acoustics being a problem, but I liked the new domestic terminal on my last visit to AMD around July 2006.

freqflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting BigTom (Reply 25):

I believe EK starts on Oct 28 and QR in second half of December.

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 28):
The acoustics are horribly flawed and every time an announcement is made, it just echoes everywhere.

I agree, a better PA system is required . Perhaps the speaker holds the microphone too close , because usually the announcements are audible . But frequently, you cannot make out anything. More the PA system, than accoustics, which may have been transferred from the old terminal, if it can be given so grand a name.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 am

China Southern starts operations from Delhi to Guangzhou.
http://www.expresstravelworld.com/200710/aviationworld11.shtml

Quotes:
China Southern will start operations from Delhi effective October 11, 2007, with thrice weekly flights between Delhi and Guangzhou (Canton) operating on a Boeing 757-200 series aircraft on this route.

The flight is already booked for the first two flights, said Seema Sabharwal, sales and marketing manager, China Southern, India.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am

Kingfisher, IndiGo gain air space; Jet skids.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/..._Jet_skids/articleshow/2472055.cms

Quotes:
The Kingfisher-Air Deccan combine has in the recent past narrowed the gap with the Jet-Jet Lite (earlier Air Sahara) grouping. The combined market share of Jet and Jet Lite stood at 29.4% for the July-September quarter as compared to 28.9% for the Kingfisher-Air Deccan combine. Indian-Air India combine is in third place with 19.8% share of the domestic market.

The big gainers during the second quarter of the current fiscal are IndiGo and Kingfisher with their aggressive fleet expansion plans while Jet no longer has an unassailable lead..

During July-September ‘07, IndiGo secured a market share of 8.4% as compared to just 0.9% in the same period last year. The low-cost carrier has managed to induct 10 aircraft over the past one year. SpiceJet saw its market share increase to 8.3% during this period.

Market watchers attribute higher market share for both IndiGo and SpiceJet to fleet expansion and low fares. “As against nine aircraft in July-September last year, we closed the quarter ending September 2007 with 13 aircraft. The main factors fuelling our growth are increased fleet and better load factor. We would increase our fleet to 15 aircraft by the end of this year,” SpiceJet CEO Siddhanta Sharma said.

Nimish

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:16 am

Kingfisher Airlines to invest Rs 1,200 cr for expansion, global operations

From: http://www.financialexpress.com/news...xpansion-global-operations/229593/

Quote:
Kingfisher Airlines Ltd plans to invest Rs 1,200 crore over the next two years for expansion and restructuring of its aviation arm. The company plans to spend the money on acquisition of aircraft, international foray and on restructuring of its balance sheet.

Speaking on the sidelines of the CFO India summit in Mumbai, Ravi Nedungadi, chief financial officer, United Breweries Group told FE" We would be investing close Rs 1,000 crore to Rs 1,200 crore for the next couple of years. With the big birds coming in by the early part of next year, there is going to be need for capital. We are looking at various ways of raising capital.”
The company is harboring ambitious plans for the international market. Even before it could take off on its first flight, it believes the international operation will be a significant revenue earner for the company in future, “We believe that international is a way to go. Very quickly, the international operations can equal and overtake the domestic business because we are talking large numbers,” said Nedungadi.

The company would use the Deccan’s licence to fly overseas but will use the Kingfisher brand. Its first international flight will take off in July-August of 2008. "We believe that there is a premium that people would pay for non-stop travel, given the fact that there is so much of problems and hassles at the airports, especially in security. We are intending in flying really long distances and our first flight is going to be Bangalore San Francisco.

I've highlighted some of the interesting information in the article above.

I really can't imagine boarding flight DN 0001 on the SFO-BLR non-stop sector  Smile I'd much rather board flight IT 0001 or similar!
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

cricket

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 31):
Quotes:
China Southern will start operations from Delhi effective October 11, 2007, with thrice weekly flights between Delhi and Guangzhou (Canton) operating on a Boeing 757-200 series aircraft on this route.

China Eastern is starting CCU-KMG next month with a 73G! But this service will help people on the way to Shenzhen and Guanzhou, but I think that the service will need to be upgraded because the cargo loads will be heavy on this sector. However, I am surprised that Indian carriers have not expanded rapidly into China!

Quoting Nimish (Reply 33):
I really can't imagine boarding flight DN 0001 on the SFO-BLR non-stop sector Smile I'd much rather board flight IT 0001 or similar!

The new 'Deccan' might be slightly better... though I do believe that IT should not take international allocations for granted, never doubt the ability of NG to throw a spanner in the works!

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 32):
The Kingfisher-Air Deccan combine has in the recent past narrowed the gap with the Jet-Jet Lite (earlier Air Sahara) grouping. The combined market share of Jet and Jet Lite stood at 29.4% for the July-September quarter as compared to 28.9% for the Kingfisher-Air Deccan combine. Indian-Air India combine is in third place with 19.8% share of the domestic market.

Simple, 9W has not added aircraft in the domestic sector as aggressively as the competition.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 34):
Simple, 9W has not added aircraft in the domestic sector as aggressively as the competition.

Indigo has been adding aircrafts steadily. I wonder what their market share will look like once all 100 aircrafts are in service.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Air service between Mumbai-Shirdi to take off soon.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/

Quotes:
Devotees of Sai Baba, who have been facing problems of long distance travel, can now just board a copter from the city and reach Shirdi within 45 minutes. Private carrier Jagson airlines on Thursday announced their new commercial venture of providing a to-and-fro 26-seater helicopter service between Mumbai and Shirdi on a daily basis from next week.

The fare for the chopper flight is fixed at Rs 3,000.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Indian travellers ordeal reduced in UK.

Quotes:
Here's hope for anyone and that's just about everyone flying into Heathrow from Delhi or Mumbai, only to be faced with inevitably long security queues, flight delays and chaotic baggage retrieval. Come April, all Indian flights on Britain's national carrier will fly into — and out of — Terminal 5, the snazziest and roomiest new addition to one of the world's busiest airports.

Terminal 5, which boasts it can handle 35 million passengers or half Heathrow's entire current capacity, is being touted as more than just a convenient, clean and cleverly-designed gateway to and from Britain. Nick Ziebland, retail director for Terminal 5 at BAA, the company that runs Britain's largest airports, believes this new European travel hub, which will locate all British Airways short-haul and long-haul flights under the same roof, will "bring back the glamour of flying".

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 pm

McDonald's goes to Delhi airport. I hope they offer veggie burgers too.

Quotes:
From opening its first outlet at Basant Lok in Vasant Vihar in the Capital in 1996 to launching a new restaurant at the airport, McDonald's India has come a long way. On the eve of its 11th anniversary, McDonald's India opened its first express restaurant at Terminal 1A of the domestic airport this past Monday.

The restaurant is located within the security lounge area covering about 600 square feet and will enable passengers to savour burgers, French fries and much more as they wait to board the aircraft.

blrsea

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:16 am

Does anyone know which terminal at CDG flights from SEA and BLR fly into? I am looking at SEA-CDG-BLR flights on AF and there is a 1.5 hour connection at CDG. There was a post in an earlier thread that this was not sufficient. Is it sufficient if flights are in same terminal or not even then?

karan69

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 39):
I am looking at SEA-CDG-BLR flights on AF and there is a 1.5 hour connection at CDG.

90 mins for any international connection is tight, because even if your flight from SEA has a 10 mins delay you begin worrying for the rest of your flight, however if they are in the same terminal it should not be a problem

Karan

blrBird

Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:16 am

SEA-CDG-BLR flights on AF and there is a 1.5 hour connection at CDG.

Both are in same terminal (2E) I think you should be good.
from star dust....

blrBird

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 33):
Speaking on the sidelines of the CFO India summit in Mumbai, Ravi Nedungadi, chief financial officer, United Breweries Group told FE" We would be investing close Rs 1,000 crore to Rs 1,200 crore for the next couple of years. With the big birds coming in by the early part of next year, there is going to be need for capital. We are looking at various ways of raising capital."

Does this mean IT has deferred its 332 delivery by couple of months, as per their earlier schedule they were suppose to start receiving them late by Oct or early Nov 07.
from star dust....

abrelosojos

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:02 am

Does anyone know which terminal at CDG flights from SEA and BLR fly into? I am looking at SEA-CDG-BLR flights on AF and there is a 1.5 hour connection at CDG. There was a post in an earlier thread that this was not sufficient. Is it sufficient if flights are in same terminal or not even then?

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 41):
Both are in same terminal (2E) I think you should be good.

= Actually, with AF dont be too sure. They have a bad tendency to change terminals a lot and you might end up getting 2F. 1.5 hours is really cutting it close ... especially because a lot flights end up remotely ... and if you end up remotely close to the cargo area, you'd be praying hard to make the transfer happen. Avoid CDG if you can.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

blrsea

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback about CDG guys. I have read too many people on this thread advising against using CDG, especially if connection time is less. I looked up the schedule again, and it is a difference of 2 hr 10 min. Flight from SEA reaches CDG at 8:50am, and flight to BLR leaves at 11:00am. On the return journey, flight from BLR reaches CDG at 8:25AM and flight to SEA leaves at 10:45AM, a difference of 2 hr 20 mins. Is this better or should I not consider transit through CDG at all?

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Paramount to have fleet of 45 Embraer aircraft by 2010. Is this a case of excessive puffing by Paramount?
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...aft+by+2010&Title=Business&Topic=0

Quotes:
In pursuance of its strategy to have a pan-India presence by 2010- 11, Chennai-based Paramount Airways is sprucing up its fleet size of Embraer 170 and 175 aircraft from the current five to 45 by 2010.

An outright purchase of the Brazilian aircraft is on the cards with $2 billion pitted to exchange hands between Paramount and the Brazilian aircraft supplier Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica SA.Exim Bank is expected to fund 65 percent of the sale with the balance to be chipped in by internal accruals and equity.

On Paramount's second anniversary on Friday, Managing Director M Thiagarajan told this website's newspaper that Paramount would be spreading its wings from being just a South India player, where it held a 26 percent market share, to straddling the entire country with a 58 destination itinerary by 2010.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Hyderabad airport nears completion.

Quotes:
The new Hyderabad international airport at Shamshabad here is nearing completion and will commence its first commercial operations on March 16 next year.

“The airport will be a boon to Greater Hyderabad, and it will be a big day for Andhra Pradesh and the nation, when Sonia Gandhi dedicates the Greenfield airport to the nation,” said the chief minister while reviewing the progress of the project with top officials. He said the inauguration of the airport would attract huge investments in all sectors of development in Greater Hyderabad.

alangirvan

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:16 am

I read about Sapphire in Airliner World, and I see there was some discussion in thread 54. Does this airline look serious? Has it progressed since June?

Regarding Hyderabad - has BA confirmed it will be starting service to the new airport? Will any Indian carriers provide London service? Is Jet likely to fly to Brussels and onto the US from Hyderabad?

cakentennis

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 47):

Regarding Hyderabad - has BA confirmed it will be starting service to the new airport? Will any Indian carriers provide London service? Is Jet likely to fly to Brussels and onto the US from Hyderabad?

I'd be surprised if they started a Hyderabad service before Ahmedabad. I think they should really be targeting the Gujarati market first and commence a AMD-BRU-ORD service 3x weekly, timings coinciding with the EWR flight.

The A330 should do fine for this route, and I suspect it should be a gold mine for them. It will be the fastest way to get to AMD from both EWR and ORD. Hopefully, they'll do this before EK starts its ORD flight and sucks the juice out of this sector.

karan69

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 47):
Regarding Hyderabad - has BA confirmed it will be starting service to the new airport? Will any Indian carriers provide London service?

Plus it will be a hard task to break into strong footholds of KLM LH and the mighty EK.

Karan