NwAflyer07
Topic Author

Rumor: Delta Will Be "In Charge" Of NW/DL Merger

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:50 pm

I can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract, but the 'comfirmed' word that's floating around through NWA is that DL will be in charge when the merger happens. It's no longer a question of IF, but when. All the pieces are in place.. i just wonder whats going to happen to my job, and ill be pretty bummed out if i lose the "Northwest Airlines" name that's stitched to my shirt. Any other NW employees hear about this yet?

UAL777UK

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Errr, so are you saying at least that e merger is going to happen (subject to regulatory bodied approval!) and if so whens it going to be made public?

airtran737

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting NwAflyer07 (Thread starter):
can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract, but the 'comfirmed' word that's floating around through NWA is that DL will be in charge when the merger happens. It's no longer a question of IF, but when. All the pieces are in place.. i just wonder whats going to happen to my job, and ill be pretty bummed out if i lose the "Northwest Airlines" name that's stitched to my shirt. Any other NW employees hear about this yet?

I have a hard time believing someone who is in the age 16-20 age bracket has "details" of a DL/NW merger.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

BrianDromey

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:09 pm

I dont think the two companies will merge into one brand.

I think the merger will very much be along the lines of AF/KL. The four parties are far too close for it not to. The AF and KL merger worked very, very well, maybe becasue there were no contentious issues with seniority. The fleet types are also so diverse, what would be the point in merging into a single brand? I think it would cause more problems than it would solve, and by keeping major fleets with both manufacturers, either of the companies could get the next 'big' order.

Now, I think we would certainly see a common direction in therms of destinations served, and avoiding dupliaction of routes, etc as necessary. Each station might only be served by one airlines ground crews, eg DL at ATL, JFK, NW at MSP, DTW. Also the regional carriers might be streamlines into a common entity, but I really cant see any benifits for merging the mainline operations.

I also think keeping two brands would keep authorities happier, as well as avoiding duplication of hubs.

Just my two cents,
Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

cv640

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:16 pm

These rumors have been floating around forever. It may or may not happen. If it does, I doubt the people who know about it before hand, will being posting on this site. Although stranger things have happened.

rwy04lga

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 3):
I think the merger will very much be along the lines of AF/KL

Exactly my thoughts as well!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

NWAESC

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 pm

can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract,

Nothing in your (our) contract says you can't discuss mergers. Read it again.

Quote:
but the 'comfirmed' word that's floating around through NWA is that DL will be in charge when the merger happens. It's no longer a question of IF, but when.

...This has been going around for a looooonnng time. Nothing new under the sun here.

Quote:
All the pieces are in place.. i just wonder whats going to happen to my job, and ill be pretty bummed out if i lose the "Northwest Airlines" name that's stitched to my shirt.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this type of stuff, well, I'd have a lot of nickels!  Smile

Quote:
Any other NW employees hear about this yet?

Everyday in some form or another for about the last 10 years.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

pnwtraveler

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm

I wish the same approach had been used for Canadian and Air Canada. The whole contentious issue of senority would have been avoided, or at least a longer period of time would have enabled it to be worked out better. Although I must say after the merger but before the aircraft and crews had been fully integrated there was a marked difference in the quality of the flights. The food on the Canadian run flights was significantly worse that the AC flights. The Canadian flights were still catered by their orginal company. This would have been different though in that the caterer would have known when their contract was up and that they wouldn't have a chance at the larger merged airline one.

burnsie28

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:17 pm

Well if the Asia rights hold up to the regulations that they have, if they became one airline chances are they will stay Northwest Airlines. The merger rumor issue became more heated when Richard Anderson (former NW CEO) was brought into office at Delta.

isitsafenow

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:18 pm

"Northwest Airlines" name that's stitched to my shirt.

...guess you're gonna get a new shirt....
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

avek00

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:26 pm

You can likely put this one to pasture.

Bottom line -- when managers are not planning a merger, they talk publicly about mergers. When managers ARE planning a merger...they shut up and say nothing in the press.
Live life to the fullest.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:46 pm

If they were to remain separate under a corporate umbrella, how would they really be able to take advantage of the synergies of a true merger? I understand back office functions being combined, joint purchasing,etc, but when you look at the two carriers, it's easy to imagine a reduced or eliminated CVG/MEM. How do you axe a hub of one carrier and lose perhaps more senior employees when the other carrier and a perhaps more junior team get to keep their operations? Wouldn't their be union issues with that?

Just curious.

-Dave
-Dave

jlbmedia

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Supposing this thread has some factual base, What do you think would happen to Midwest if some type of merger comes to fruition? John.
JLB54061

jr

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Check this CNN article... Nothing concrete about any mergers, but interesting. I don't think this has been posted here before. My apologies if it has...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/16/news/companies/bc.apfn.earns.delta.ap/index.htm
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

na

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Northwest always had the nicer fleet and the nicer livery, Delta is just big and bland in my opinion.
I hope, a merger of the two won´t happen.

tinpusher007

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
Northwest always had the nicer fleet and the nicer livery, Delta is just big and bland in my opinion.
I hope, a merger of the two won´t happen.

Umm...DC9's and and up until now, DC10's...747-200's...the old "bowling shoe" livery? To each his own, I guess!

[Edited 2007-10-17 09:06:34]
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

JRDC930

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Ill just pray the DOT and DOJ arent stupid enough let this monopolistic merger go through if true. Stupid merger mania never dies i guess... its all about getting rid of competition at all costs and making the most money for the few individuals in management... gotta Love the airlines CEO's and thie greed.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

EXAAUADL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Ill tell you who is gonan be incharge of a DL/NW merger.....NWA Unions

EXAAUADL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 16):
its all about getting rid of competition at all costs and making the most money for the few individuals in management... gotta Love the airlines CEO's and thie greed.

That's exactly right..throw in Wall Street lawyers and investment bankers

YHZ

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:25 pm

This is about as old as the DC9 threads. These type of "stories" that have no facts on A.net posted by teenagers waste people's time.

dtwclipper

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 14):
the nicer fleet and the nicer livery

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Yes, of course the two most important issues debated when merging two companies! I guess you must have a hot line to ATL and MSP giving them advise!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dallasnewark

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm

Ill just pray the DOT and DOJ arent stupid enough let this monopolistic merger go through if true. Stupid merger mania never dies i guess... its all about getting rid of competition at all costs and making the most money for the few individuals in management... gotta Love the airlines CEO's and thie greed.

It's called capitalsim. It happens in every other industry, not just with the airlines. The mergers need to happen to keep the healthy balance going forward and eleminate the so called dead wood.
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

robsawatsky

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:34 pm

I can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract

If you really know any details, your problem is not contractual but disclosure of insider information in violation of SEC rules.

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 21):
The mergers need to happen to keep the healthy balance going forward and eleminate the so called dead wood.

So far, every merger that has been actually proposed for 2007 has been withdrawn:

1. US, while still digesting its own HP/US merger, withdrew their plans to grab DL.

2. More recently, FL withdrew their plans to grab YX.

I've stated this before (and it seems apparently worth repeating); ANY merger that only involves legacy/network carriers, unless one of the carriers is close to liquidation, is going to be subject to heavy DOT and/or DOJ scrutiny. As it stands now, the so-called Big-Six carriers (AA, CO, DL, NW, UA and, yes, even US) have gotten too big to have any merger plan go unnoticed/unchallenged. This is NOT the 1980s folks, when there were more smaller carriers to grab/aquire.

[Edited 2007-10-17 09:49:13]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

JRDC930

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:49 pm

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 21):
The mergers need to happen to keep the healthy balance going forward and eleminate the so called dead wood.

Whats dead wood? any one who competes with you, thus driving costs down for the consumer? Mergers in other industries dont result in huge oligopolies most of the time, and they dont share the unique problems of the airline industry. Capitalisim unrestrained results in human misery beyond mention, and believe it or not the liveley hood of employees, who are just as human as the CEO's matter as well. Thats why the govenment prevents unrestrained capitalism, remember the era of trusts? 2 cent wages, horrible working conditions etc... under President Taft? Thats what happens when there's no limits on capitalism. Mergers dont NEED to happen, they happen many times because of greed with no attention paid to who might suffer. Unemployment that would most certainly result of any Major-Major merjer, would only hurt the economt further. the govenment exists to protect its citizens not CORPORATIONS. I realize this is more of a philosophical and idealogical disagreement though.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

Dalmd88

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 pm

First, NwAFlyer07, welcome to our community here. Second, don't put to much into any bagroom banter you have heard. On a subject like a merger, I wouldn't even believe rumors from a manager or a VP. They just don't talk to frontline people about such matters if they even are in the know.

Don't get to attached to any name on your shirt. In aviation the names are constantly changing. In sixteen years I've worn four different names and have ID's from seven airports. All of those moves were either because the job was gone or was soon going to be gone.

My take on the merger rumor is this. Many of us here have thought this merger is likley. Most of the DL workforce doesn't really want any merger. Even a merger where DL will be the surviving name and managment. Route wise it makes sense. Aircraft wise it will be a mess. As far as intergrating the two workforces it would also be a mess. Would the Fed's approve it? That is a tough call. Maybe a soft merger like others have talked about would make the most sense.

[Edited 2007-10-17 09:50:58]

NwAflyer07
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm

AirTran, so you have a hard time believeing that someone my age, 18, who works for Northwest is able to get credible info? What if i told u the info in question came from a person very close to me who's in NW management. And what if i told u that, for the entire duration of my 18 year lifespan ive been obcessed with NWA and everythin that has to do with it? I admit i have no details, but i can confirm a deal between DL and NW is in the works. The rumors from here on out will most likely be on the exact details of the merger or buyout. The term buyout was mentioned to me although i have a hard time believing DL will actually be able to buy out Northwest. (It was said that DL wants to "buy out JetBlue or Northwest." )

Personally, i think that NW/DL would become more like AF/KLM, however it is not my decision. The decision and the inevitable truth lies in the hands of my employers. I'm well aware this topic has been discussed almost as much as the NW DC-9 deal, however im just sharing the info i recieved as opposed to my opinions. If someone out there has info that proves me right or wrong, ill be more than happy to hear it and stand corrected. Thats all there is to it

PHX Flyer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:58 pm

All the pieces are in place.

No kidding. Just look at the tail - even the widget is pointing northwest  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Whitebird

EXAAUADL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Mergers never get rid of dead wood...now a DL/NW merger will be beneficial to FL and WN and B6. As the DL/NW merger fall on its a@@ due to vastly differing employee cultures, there is no doubt that CVG and MEM wil lbe drastically scaled back...thus a new opportunity to "cherry pick" some CVG and MEM markets like LGA-CVG/MEM for FL. Florida/West Coast/LAS/PHX for B6 and WN....and say good bye to that beloved ATL airline..the bad always drives out the good so youll have surly a UAW attitude infect ATL from that progressive and growing metropolis Detroit.

NwAflyer07
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:01 pm

Here's the article from the Star Tribune that set off all the discussions within Northwest.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1489536.html

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting NwAflyer07 (Reply 29):
Here's the article from the Star Tribune that set off all the discussions within Northwest.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story....html

NwAflyer07, welcome to A.net.

Unfortunetely there is a lot to learn about rumors and chatter in this industry.

NW merger rumors are not new, in fact they have alway been persistant for this airline and the industry in general all throughout the 80's, 90's, and 00's.

That very newspaper article is entirely based on speculation from analysts who are speculating the very same way that everyone on this board, in every bag room, and every break room, in every airport across the country.

You need to consider the source and the motive of the comment. Anderson made a comment yesterday when asked about mergers when DL released their quarterly earnings. As CEO, he has to be VERY careful about what he says, to ensure that the analysts & financial markets interpret his statements properly. Merger rumors always seem to get the markets exciting, as there is a lot of money involved in any M&A deal. Not just for the stock holders, but for all the people who actually orchestrate the deal & transactions. If Anderson outright says no, then the financial markets could react negatively. If he outright says yes, the opposite could happen. If he gives a rather vague statement, it leaves the door open either way and allows the markets to react to the speculation. As CEO, it is his responsibility to consider all options, hence why there is always the possibility. Such comments on mergers are often made to boost stock prices.

So, don't read to much into Anderson's comments at this point. You need to find the root source of this information. Often the media will write stories entirely based on speculation. Also, all of these topics have been discussed over and over again on A.net. You will soon learn what is really new information, versus the buckets full or recycled information that continually reappear on this board.

Also, it takes awhile to learn which people on here actually post valid and credible information. You have to weed through a lot of crap to figure out which posters continually supply good information. Like in the real world, trust on A.net is earned over time.

slider

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 17):

Kinda how they were in NW bankruptcy court?

pilotboi

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 27):
No kidding. Just look at the tail - even the widget is pointing northwest

rotfl  Wow - you've found the secret!

maiznblu_757

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 15):
the old "bowling shoe" livery?

Much better than that crap livery Delta has now.
 Smile

777STL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Isn't this common sense though?

*IF* DL and NW merge, DL will surely be in the driver's seat. Seems pretty obvious to me, I don't think this is very sensational or sensitive.
PHX based

masseybrown

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:39 pm

gotta Love the airlines CEO's and thie greed.

Exactly. My opinion: the debt incurred to support the LBO back in the 1990's hobbled NW ever since. Despite the stories, they fly those DC-9's because they have never had the financial ability to replace more than a few at a time.

1337Delta764

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:57 pm

No kidding. Just look at the tail - even the widget is pointing northwest

View Large View Medium

Photo © John-4A7 Spotters

Points northeast at this angle.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

georgiaame

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:59 pm

DeltWest Orient? I think not. But at least it won't be unionized, yet another healthy push toward unions being relegated to the dustbin of history.

Still, since we now know for certain that Delta is merging, I would prefer the Delta logo on the outside, and hook up with Continental for real service on the inside...

Both ain't about to happen. I suspect. Not that any insiders have told me...
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 pm

The two fleets do not match, this merger would be awful for both airlines, i can't see delta wanting to merge with NWA for financial reasons. I am going to be so mad if this happens. I guess the main hubs would be SLC, DET, JFK, MSP, ATL. MEM and CVG would be large focus cities. They need to keep SLC because its the only Western hub, DET and MSP can offer good midwest coverage and Asia flights, ATL is for the southeast, and JFK for the northeast and Europe. What is the cost savings of this merger cutting CVG and MEM?? Seems like a small cost savings for all of those different aircrafts

I wont believe it until its official, these rumors have been out for along time. CO is just a much better fit for DL with the CVG and CLE direct overlap, CO needs SLC for some western flights, and there aircrafts work very well together neither have airbus at all. I think a CO merger is more likely if any but thats my two cents NWA does not seem good for either financially

Stitch

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm

If it happens, I think it will happen along he lines BrianDromey hypothesized in Reply 3, and not a full-on merger, which is more what Tilton seems to be trying to get for UA.

toltommy

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 2):
I have a hard time believing someone who is in the age 16-20 age bracket has "details" of a DL/NW merger.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.....

I can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract

Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement? If not, you have nothing to talk about. If you did, you shouldn't even have started this post.

Quoting NwAflyer07 (Reply 26):
So you have a hard time believeing that someone my age, 18, who works for Northwest is able to get credible info?

To be direct, yes.

From someone who has been around this industry for a long long time, please let me give you a piece of advice. When someone talks about a merger or acquisition, its usually because they are telling you what they would like to see happen. The senior people who actually discuss these matters don't. Period. If there is something going on, they all have to sign non-disclosure agreements before they get told anything. And there are huge penalties for anyone who leaks.

Focus on doing your job, and doing it well. Don't let rumors and speculation get in the way. When you need to know something, you'll be told by your superiors. It won't come from a co-worker.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 39):
Points northeast at this angle

Just like the NW Compass on that side of the plane as well.  wink 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jens Breuer

rotfl 

Quoting NA (Reply 14):

Well, I fly DL up to CVG this Friday and NW coming back, so I'll give you a fair comparison when I get back. At least DL has IFE on some of its domestic flights.  wink 

As for the merger itself, I hope it doesn't happen.  no 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 8):
Well if the Asia rights hold up to the regulations that they have, if they became one airline chances are they will stay Northwest Airlines. The merger rumor issue became more heated when Richard Anderson (former NW CEO) was brought into office at Delta.

not true look at UA with the PA deal? and CO and CM?

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 23):
1. US, while still digesting its own HP/US merger, withdrew their plans to grab DL.

2. More recently, FL withdrew their plans to grab YX.

and how many where pulled by the gov?

hahahahaha....that was a good one

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Reply 41):

ok here we go with the fleet thing again.......DL and NW both have large fleets of A/C (the 737s and A32X is what most people talk about but the A330s also) that they can wait tell Y1(or more T7s) to come out OR pull a US/HP and just get Boeing to back them up for some 737s(and 777s to replace the A330s).....what really madders is the routes and the money if the price is right and it will pass the DOJ(which it would sorry to tell you guys but if DL/US would have made it anything pretty much will) then they will go for it and replace what has to be replaced end of story.

Also would we want DL to run the show better for the people than that greedy CEO of NWs.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

dl767captain

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Reply 41):

just remember that fleet commanality isnt the deciding factor in a merger, while CO and DL have almost the exact same fleet DL would not get asia flights from CO which im sure is a big reason for the merger talks. As for it still being seperate like air france and klm i think that is more because they are two different countries but NW and DL could probably merge much easier, while i would rather see DL and CO i dont see it happening, CO is doing pretty well on their own

777STL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:22 pm

AirTran, so you have a hard time believeing that someone my age, 18, who works for Northwest is able to get credible info?

To be blunt, you're 18, what position could you possibly hold that would give you access to inside info? My guess is you're either a ramp agent and/or a ticket agent and you don't know anything other than the gossip you're hearing from your fellow front line employees. You're a front line employee, you would be the last person to know anything of any value.
PHX based

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 47):
To be blunt, you're 18, what position could you possibly hold that would give you access to inside info? My guess is you're either a ramp agent and/or a ticket agent and you don't know anything other than the gossip you're hearing from your fellow front line employees. You're a front line employee, you would be the last person to know anything of any value.

yes but if you read on he also said that he could know someone in upper management

What if i told u the info in question came from a person very close to me who's in NW management

BTW welcome to a.net
New airliners.net web site sucks.

NWAROOSTER

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm

I can't give details or links about this for fear of violating my contract, but the 'comfirmed' word that's floating around through NWA is that DL will be in charge when the merger happens. It's no longer a question of IF, but when. All the pieces are in place..

You know nothing about any "merger", which is about what I know and I worked for NWA for 38years before retiring!!
All I and you know is pure speculation. DL/NW have have secret and it is for you to find ou what it is.!!  old 
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

Boeing7E7

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:57 pm

and ill be pretty bummed out if i lose the "Northwest Airlines" name that's stitched to my shirt

Look at it this way. It could be AirTran stitched in its place.

CitrusCritter

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 50):
It could be AirTran stitched in its place.

Would that be the AirTran that didn't go through bankruptcy and is financially solvent?

jetdeltamsy

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Yea. Uh huh. Right.

Northwest unions have lost virtually all of their clout. Granted the pilots were able to get pay increases by refusing to fly overtime until their contract was sweetened. But to get more money, they have to work more. The mechanics union is history. The flight attendants has been completely fruitless in its efforts to improve the f/a contract from the terms imposed by the company during bankruptcy.

If Delta takes over NWA, everyone except the pilots will most likely lose their union representation, as happened with the Western/Delta merger. One day, poof, the union contracts are no longer valid and Delta imposes its terms of employment, which are generally better than those dictated by the union contracts of the former employer, onto the newly acquired personnel. As Delta has always been seen as a kinder, gentler employer than Northwest, I would imagine the employees would go along...at least for a while.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.