alaska737

Embry Riddle Semiole Crash Lands In PRC

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:54 pm

at about 4:00 PM (Oct 19) an Embry Riddle Piper PA-44 Seminole had a nose gear failure and was forced to make a crash landing on 21L at Prescott Love Field. At the time i had rented a plane from a close by flight school and was doing a run-up at the end of the runway. I watched the plane do a low pass and then make its landing. from what i could tell it looked like it was executed to perfection, both engines cut before the threshold, land tail low, keep the tail off and let the nose come gently down. the nose came down a little hard but as soon as it came to a stop the trucks were at the scene and the occupants got out. 21L/03R was closed for about 30-45 minutes. For those of you familiar with Riddle, it was Riddle 74, I havent been able to talk to a flight supervisor or anyone at Riddle yet but when i do i will post what i find out.

c172pic

RE: Embry Riddle Semiole Crash Lands In PRC

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:08 am

No biggie... time to get rid of that Seminole, they got all the bling bling to replace it... saw one parked at Flagler Co, looked kinda on its way to retirement from ERAU's fleet... BTW, anybody know if any of ERAU's TwinStars has had a double engine failure?

Arigato hai,
El DE

JFKspotter

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:13 am

No, there have been no engine failures on any of the TwinStars.

The seminoles are on their way to being retired at the end of this year.

alaska737

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting Jfkspotter (Reply 2):
The seminoles are on their way to being retired at the end of this year.

I know its sad, I hate the Diamonds, there ugly and the stupid stick and the damn G-1000, and all the kids who dont know how to land are going to bang up that ventral strake....its going to be a sad day when the seminoles are gone.

Riddle274

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting C172pic (Reply 1):
No biggie... time to get rid of that Seminole, they got all the bling bling to replace it... saw one parked at Flagler Co, looked kinda on its way to retirement from ERAU's fleet... BTW, anybody know if any of ERAU's TwinStars has had a double engine failure?

Check the original post . . . the accident happened at PRC - your quote has to do with the Daytona campus. The TwinStars are doing quite well and our flight department is very happy with them so far. However, it looks like the PA-44's will be around for a bit longer than expected.

tinpusher007

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Riddle274 (Reply 4):
Check the original post . . . the accident happened at PRC - your quote has to do with the Daytona campus. The TwinStars are doing quite well and our flight department is very happy with them so far. However, it looks like the PA-44's will be around for a bit longer than expected.

I graduated from the DAB campus in 02. I always loved the PA-44...very fun airplane to fly and easy to land in my opinion. I flew the DA-20 and didn't care for it much at all.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Riddle274

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 5):
I graduated from the DAB campus in 02. I always loved the PA-44...very fun airplane to fly and easy to land in my opinion. I flew the DA-20 and didn't care for it much at all.

Thats because the DA-20 is a single engine plane . . . we have the DA-42!  Wink

I have some time in a PA-44 as well, excellent training airplane, even if it is a PA-28R with an extra engine!

DeltaGuy

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 am

Thats all the DA-42 is, just a DA-40 with another motor....still a flying sperm!!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

tinpusher007

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Riddle274 (Reply 6):
Thats because the DA-20 is a single engine plane . . . we have the DA-42!

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):
Thats all the DA-42 is, just a DA-40 with another motor....still a flying sperm!!

Thats the point I was trying to make without being as blunt..lol! Thanx DLGuy.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

SkyexRamper

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 am

How is that a crash landing? I think emergency landing is a more fit word as the landing was apparently well executed in a trained manor.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):

Bingo...!

DA-42s are there just to teach people how to not fly a normal twin.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

alaska737

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 9):
How is that a crash landing? I think emergency landing is a more fit word as the landing was apparently well executed in a trained manor.

yeah, since it only caused gear and prop damage it can be considered an incident, now if the engines were not stopped when it struck then i would be considered an accident. there is a big difference under part 830.2 of the FAR.

1MillionFlyer

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
was forced to make a crash landing on 21L

If you're a flight student you might want to use the correct term, "Incident" or "accident" . " Crash" is only used by the media  Smile
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

cbphoto

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:41 am

This is not a huge deal, and def is not the first time it has happened to our PA-44s! Neither the student or the IP were injured and thats the major part. I agree the title is miss-leading, it should be a, accident but not a crash landing. The same thing (similar circumstances) happened a few years ago, odds are the plane will be fixed and returned to service in a few months time. Not sure how the post got so off topic with the DA-42s, but yes ERAU PRC is looking at getting the DA-42s in another years time, and although the rumors are very strong we will get them, I have not heard of us actually placing an order for them!

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
At the time i had rented a plane from a close by flight school and was doing a run-up at the end of the runway.

Northaire or Skyschool?
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

alaska737

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 11):
Crash" is only used by the media

and to attract peoples attention on A-Net  Wink

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 12):
Northaire or Skyschool?

NorthAire