sstsomeday

No Routes: YOW To EEC?

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:14 pm

It seems strange that YOW, which has become quite a large operation since I was young, has still not managed to maintain a route to the European mainland. Only a daily to LHR exists. (I realize there are probably some charters.)

I would suggest that the demand is there. KLM tried it for a while to AMS, but the Canadian Government was requiring them to make a stop in I think Halifax in order to have rights to the route. That restriction made it undesirable for those originating in Ottawa, and there wasn't enought compensating demand from the Maritimes, so KLM cancelled it. I believe they were doing thrice weekly?

It seems to me that if KLM thought there was potentially enough demand YOW-AMS (government intervention not withstanding), then there would be certainly enough demand for the two powerhouse European hubs: FRA, CDG, would there not?

Is Ottawa still putting this one-stop requirement on any airline that applies?
I come in peace

dutchjet

RE: No Routes: YOW To EEC?

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:36 pm

A YOW-FRA route would make the most sense; to allow connections via the massive STAR alliance hub at FRA. AC and LH are founding members of the Star Alliance.

yow

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm

YOW does have a short summer-seasonal nonstop CDG, mind you it's a weekly TS charter over a 12 week period, but it's better than nothing.

I'm confident that once open skies with Europe becomes a reality, that someone will fly from YOW to a European hub. YOW handles 1.5 million more pax today annually than it did when KL left in 1996.

johnnybgoode

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 1):
A YOW-FRA route would make the most sense; to allow connections via the massive STAR alliance hub at FRA. AC and LH are founding members of the Star Alliance.

afaik, there's no openskies between Canada and Germany, but a new agreement has been reached will take effect in early 2008 (i hope I'm not getting things wrong here).
perhaps then will see additional services between Canada and Germany. I am very sure the YOW-FRA is a route closely looked at by AC and LH. i think this one's quite likely!
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

jamincan

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:07 pm

Well, YOW-FRA was listed on some AC document as one of those imminent routes that they hope to develop in the future. We'll see how committed they are to it.

I'm rather curious about AF to YOW once open skies are in place. Currently they are restricted from flying there due to the bilateral; however, once that restriction is gone, they may consider the route. They currently operate a bus service connecting Ottawa to their Montreal flights, and I believe the region is the third most populous francophone area in Canada, probably over half a million. I suppose they'd jump on YQB first if the airport could handle them (I don't know what their facilities are like, but I imagine they could).

connies4ever

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 4):
I suppose they'd jump on YQB first if the airport could handle them (I don't know what their facilities are like, but I imagine they could).

Think AC tried that a ways back on a weekly basis, and TS as well. Probably a better charter market as it will never support a daily service, and the backtrack to YUL is not so bad.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

aircanada014

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Johnnybgoode (Reply 3):
there's no openskies between Canada and Germany,

Canada and German have open skies way back in mid 90s just before Star Alliance was born.
AC also have 5th freedom rights in Germany too if I do recall.